Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concrete or Tarmac?

Options
  • 29-04-2006 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭

Just wondering which of the 2 works out cheapest to lay. We want to level our front garden, we're not big gardeners and it looks dreadful in the summer.

Thanks,

Deb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,129 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I got most of my front garden dug out last year and put down tarmac. I would be reasonably sure that the concrete will be a bit cheaper but not a lot.

Measure it up (width x length) and see what is there in either sq. metres or sq. yards and price a couple of people for both finishes. Most of the people in this type of work will give you an estimate based on the area involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Concrete looks unsightly in large expanses and as it doesn't 'give' it may crack. Tarmac would be the best of the two options.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

would you consider weed blocking the garden and putting down chippings/stones with maybe a low maintenance rockery or two?
    would look better and cost wise maybe cheaper

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 471 ✭✭Debracd

Thanks for the suggestions! You're probably right about the concrete.. it would look dreadful considering all our neighbours are big into gardening and a big grey lump would really stand out! Love the idea of the stones, but I'd imagine the neighbourhood kids(including our own!) would use them as ammunition! We're now going to slab part of it(nice sand coloured slabs) put in a low maintenance bed on one side, and leave a bit of grass for this year and then decide whether to slab it completely next year.

Thanks again,

Deb

Advertisement