Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refrencing in an essay

Options
  • 29-04-2006 10:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

Hey,

When you are writing an essay and you are writing in facts, should you reference by footnote or just write the source afterwards in brackets or in the appendices etc?

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Footnotes look much more professional. Use especially if you're using a lot of references.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Sangre wrote:
    Footnotes look much more professional. Use especially if you're using a lot of references.

I had hoped! Need to shave 300 word off the essay too!

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Footnotes are generally considered clutter and using the MLA style can easily be avoided. They are certainly not considered more professional, choosing to use them is a purely personal matter and utterly subjective in terms of the readers response.

I would avoid footnotes if I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

I think if it's fact, footnotes are the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hey joejoem, are you doing another law essay (I assumed you were)? If so then footnotes are definitely the way to go. Use them for articles, case citations, legislation references, minor points etc.,
    MLA style isn't the best suited for any legal essay (and footnotes are considered better practice).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Always depends on the subject.

For History it has to be footnotes but for English we're told not to use them.

Best bet is to ask your department or check your student handbook for your course.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It does depend on the subject. Most English style guides tell you to use footnotes, and personally I prefer them because they allow for greater fluidity of reading. We're told to use the Harvard Referencing style for our business essays, (i.e. using parentheses) but I find that hard to read.

Footnotes are kind of easier too because you can just go "Alt Gr + F".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭tintinr35

it really depends on the department
    politics dont use them
    but history of art are anal about them jus check blackboard or summit!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Engineering tends not to use them as a rule. References should be listed in a references/bibliography section at the end. Either the harvard or numeric system is ok - harvard's easier if you're doing the references by hand, but numeric's easier to follow and can be done automatically by BibTex like me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

If you're doing Politics then referencing should be done at the end of the sentence after the full stop.Referencing in history should always be done by footnotes.But even than it not that simple you have to learn the correct way to reference. like putting a title of a book in Italics for History.I would advise you to check out how to reference with your school, be it Law or Arts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

We were always told to use the Harvard system in TCD...

http://www.tvu.ac.uk/lrs/guides/harvard.html

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The harvard system is only really useful I think when you're sure the other person has read or knows of the paper you're talking about. Otherwise it wastes space...

But if the school/faculty/menagerie says it then we've got to tow the line.

Advertisement