Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clamper van without Tax or Insurance

Options
  • 29-04-2006 10:24pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭

They'll clamp you without a second thought but don't believe in displaying tax or insurance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/despod/136873086/ - pictured at the Regional Hospital in Limerick this afternoon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

parsi wrote:
    They'll clamp you without a second thought but don't believe in displaying tax or insurance.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/despod/136873086/ - pictured at the Regional Hospital in Limerick this afternoon.

That van is brand spanking new, hence no discs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

parsi wrote:

It could be argued that the requirement to display tax and insurance only applies if the vehicle is in a public place. The car park of Limerick Hospital is the property of the HSE. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Indeed but the vehicle must have driven over the public road to get there and I firmly doubt that upon arrival they removed the tax/insurance disks and their holder ;)

BTW - this is a "bash the clampers" thread so no constructive posts please. If the situation was reversed these guys would clamp first and argue later...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

parsi wrote:
    BTW - this is a "bash the clampers" thread so no constructive posts please. If the situation was reversed these guys would clamp first and argue later...

They can clamp you for tax & insurance now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, that van looks brand new so it would not have a tax or insurance disc yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

But it is illegal to drive without displaying insurance?

The insc co will print out the disc there and then, so there is little excuse.

Bring back the death penalty!

maidhc wrote:
    But it is illegal to drive without displaying insurance?

The insc co will print out the disc there and then, so there is little excuse.

Bring back the death penalty!

It's not illegal to drive without displaying. It's illegal to have the vehicle in a public place without tax and insurance. I can drive all day on private property without tax or insurance if i wished.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Litcagral wrote:
    It's not illegal to drive without displaying. It's illegal to have the vehicle in a public place without tax and insurance. I can drive all day on private property without tax or insurance if i wished.
    Ding!

It's actually quite possible (in the large car parks) that they never tax or insure the vehicles, and use a pickup if they need to leave the car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

Ah would yee let the man have his rant... Feckin' Clampers!!! lol

Didn't they recently clamp an ambulance?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

legologic wrote:
    Ah would yee let the man have his rant... Feckin' Clampers!!! lol

Didn't they recently clamp an ambulance?

Am I the only one who remembers Dublin before clampers? You couldn't get a parking space anywhere. I'm all in favour of clamping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,419 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anan1 wrote:
    Am I the only one who remembers Dublin before clampers? You couldn't get a parking space anywhere. I'm all in favour of clamping.

I'll second that. There are plenty parking spaces in the city centre at any time of the day. 10 years ago, people just parked anywhere, regardless of any restrictions or regulations, because there weren't gonna be any repercussions

Now, at last, it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

seamus wrote:
    Ding!

It's actually quite possible (in the large car parks) that they never tax or insure the vehicles, and use a pickup if they need to leave the car park.

it would need to leave to get petrol/diesel or maybe thats delivered.

another thing is maybe the discs are on one of the side windows (like in australia)

Anan1 wrote:

I totally agree Anan1. It's much easier to get a space now. Prior to their introduction, office employees used to hog spaces all day. The only people who fear clampers are those who inconvience the rest of us by parking illegally. Park legally and you have nothing to worry about.

vector wrote:
    it would need to leave to get petrol/diesel or maybe thats delivered.

another thing is maybe the discs are on one of the side windows (like in australia)

A lot of vehicles owned by large organisations that never travel in public places usually are insured as they are probably be covered by a general policy, but less likely to be taxed. Fuel is frequently available onsite or is delivered by bowser.

The regulation in this country state that discs must be attached to the "windscreen".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Litcagral wrote:
    A lot of vehicles owned by large organisations that never travel in public places usually are insured as they are probably be covered by a general policy, but less likely to be taxed. Fuel is frequently available onsite or is delivered by bowser.

I doubt if Eurocar parks dont drive that van on the road. They manage may car parks, and it is unlikely they could justify a brand new van for just one hospital car park.

It is true though that a lot of airport vehicles are neither taxed nor insured (for road use) nor registered!

I dont think the clamping had as big an impact in Cork. It is still impossible to park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

seamus wrote:
    Ding!

Why did they bother getting it registered then, if they are not driving it on the road they don't need a reg plate. Clearly they are just chancing their arm, anytime I have bought a car I always have an insurance disc on it from the time of purchase, it's not too much trouble to ring the insurance company and sort out a disc prior to collection. Gardai should have the power to seize new cars until disc is produced, like the way they clamped down some years ago on the people who bought their cars in late december and drove around for a couple of weeks with no plates and then registered them in January the next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

Maybe there just waiting for a tax disc in the post? I thought if you have some open policy or something you don't need to display an insurance disc, like a garda cars and cars in a car dealership?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Why did they bother getting it registered then, if they are not driving it on the road they don't need a reg plate...

AFAIK the Revenue Commissioners require all new vehicles imported into the country to have VRT paid on them once they leave a motor dealer, if the vehicle is remaining in the state, regardless of whether such a remainder is in a public or private space. Having payed the VRT the owner would have been allocated a registration plate number, and required to display it within 3 days.

I'm open to correction, maybe someone else will digest the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anan1 wrote:
    And there still isn't. Well, there is, but if you park there, you'll get clamped:p

Oh, and 10 years ago, we didn't have as many carparks.

=-=

OP, ring the police!

Advertisement