Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney breaks metatarsal - 8 weeks to recover?

• 29-04-2006 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

So its confirmed Rooneys break is a metatarsal, is it me or have these injuries only come about since the standard issue boot design and construction was changed to the rather flimsy lightweight current footwear?

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

http://home.skysports.com/
    6 weeks and the sky sports site,it will be a race against time:( :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Add this to the news that Michael Owen could be injured again and Sven has his excuses all wrapped up neatly. He can't lose now whatever happens.

OT and I know this has been discussed before but is anyone else majorly dissapointed with Michael Owen? I'd be well pissed off if I was a Newcastle fan. All he seems concerned with is getting fit for England. He doesnt seem to give two ****s whether he gets to play for Newcastle. Bad show IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Stekelly wrote:
    Add this to the news that Michael Owen could be injured again and Sven has his excuses all wrapped up neatly. He can't lose now whatever happens.

excuses for what,a bit premature aren`t you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

It's one of the most dissapointing aspects of the world cup, apart from Ireland not qualifying, to see that Rooney won't play a part. He's out of it guy's , no question.

county wrote:
    Stekelly wrote:

excuses for what,a bit premature aren`t you

Hey, I want them to win the thing, but I have a deep disike for Eriksson, I think he's terrible and an excuse monger. As soon as his very limited tactics fail (as they always do) he'll be blaming it on not having Rooney and/or Owen.

I really think it's a shame because I think they have a good shot. Just not with Sven in charge. He's grand as long as it's all going to plan A, but when something goes wrong I just get this mental image of him in a corner rocking back and forth holding his knees and mumbling to himself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why would'nt Owen be thinking about the WC rather than Newcastle? The WC comes about every 4 years he'll be at Newcastle next season (which he confirmed today). He can't recover any quicker to suit the Magpies and they are doing alright without him (one could even argue his absence got rid of Souness!;) ).

Anyways Owen will be fine, he said the foot was sore not it was killing him and sending bolts of pain through his brian.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Why would'nt Owen be thinking about the WC rather than Newcastle? The WC comes about every 4 years he'll be at Newcastle next season (which he confirmed today). He can't recover any quicker to suit the Magpies and they are doing alright without him (one could even argue his absence got rid of Souness!;) ).

Anyways Owen will be fine, he said the foot was sore not it was killing him and sending bolts of pain through his brian.

Mike.

As soon as he got injured all the talk was of the world cup. When Newcastle were in their terrible run and looking like getting dragged into the relegation fight, there was no "I want to get fit and dig us out of it" it was all "I'm hopong to be back and fully fit for the world cup"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Gutted for Rooster, he deserves to play in the World Cup. Have they confirmed that he's out?

Gutted for Rooster, he deserves to play in the World Cup. Have they confirmed that he's out?

the staement from Utd is that hes out for 6 weeks (6 weeks from now is the Paraguay game). Your then looking at him having to hit the ground running (pardon the pun) for either the 2nd or 3rd game. Plus , without him having a scan can they be 100% at this stage? Or will it be midweek before we know exactly how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Mike.. When did Owen confirm his plans for next year? I had a gut feeling he was Liverppol bound this summer.

And it's a terrible loss to the World Cup if he doesn't make it. Which I dont think he will to be honest. It's taken Michael Owen 11 weeks to get to the stage he is at now. Crouch and Owen (if fit) for the starting place me thinks.. Not ideal. One good thing for England is Steven Gerrard's form. He could definitely play off a striker if needs be.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,349 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

mike65 wrote:
    is it me or have these injuries only come about since the standard issue boot design and construction was changed to the rather flimsy lightweight current footwear?

Mike.
    That seems to be the case allright.
    Never heard a metatarsal mentioned up until Beckhams injury a few years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I have to say this is a bit of a disaster for England's World Cup hopes if Rooney does not get to play. I hope he does make it, he's a great player to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That seems to be the case allright.
    Never heard a metatarsal mentioned up until Beckhams injury a few years ago.

Before the english media got into it with all the internal diagrams, it was commonly called a foot injury.

Just like breaking your arm isn't called a radius or ulna injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

astrofool wrote:
    Before the english media got into it with all the internal diagrams, it was commonly called a foot injury.

Just like breaking your arm isn't called a radius or ulna injury.

Good point.

Gary Neville broke his metatarsal as well but I havent seen it mentioned on any channels this evening, the focus of the "curse" being on Becks, Owen and Rooney. Its a very simple thing to do. I done mine in training one night and the doctor didnt notice it on the x-ray, was focusing on the joint of my ankle! A physio told me a few weeks later, eh your bone is broken here!

Im absolutely gutted for Rooney. He is one of those players that keeps you glued to the screen. I was really looking forward to seeing him play this year. While I will still watch and see how England do, it will be a mere passing interest.

Whether he can make it or not is a tricky question. On his return from same injury two years ago he scored a hatrick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

He can do it. I have faith in him. How unfortunate for him to get injured now though. He deserves to play so much in the World Cup. What a brilliant player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

It will be a poorer world cup without him. Hes the star player at the moment.

The World Cup needs stars. Its what inspires the next generation of kids.

Massive dent in England's chances.

Not that I give a **** about England.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,325 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

^ what he said

I was only interested in watching England whenever Rooney was going to play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

They should bring him along even if he's not ready for the opening game.

Perhaps they could get out of the group without him and have him ready for the last 16.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I fully expect for him to be brought along.
    Even if he isn't ready for the group, he will be in for the last 16, which is when they need him anyway.

I think this could be a mixed blessing.
    It will require a reworking of formation, and I think it requires England to now play to their only strength, midfield.
    A 4-5-1 should now be played.

King/Carrack as DMC
    Gerrard and Lampard having full reign
    Cole and Beckham on the wings
    Owen up front

This formation could work for England, especially with their full backs, Neville and Cole, being very attacking and always providing width.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Poor old Lineker nearly cried on MOTD last night.

Anyway, I can't wait now for Peter Crouch to set the World Cup on fire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Not to be the pessimistic one, but Rooney needs a miracle to play in the WC.

You have to remember he has broken his meta-tarsel bone, David Beckham did the same 4 years ago but 3 weeks earlier than Rooney , Michael Owen did this on New Years FFS, and he still isnt fit.

So the fact of the matter is there is no possible way that Wayne Rooney will feature in the World Cup.

England need to concentrate on having Owen fit , and picking a partner between Crouch, Defoe and Bent.

So the fact of the matter is there is no possible way that Wayne Rooney will feature in the World Cup.

First off, while the injuries are the same name, they aren't necessarily the same.
    The extent of the break will determine how long it takes.

Also, some players recover sooner than others. For example, Heinze wasn't expected to be fit until after the World Cup, now he looks like he has got a chance. Keano used to do the same, he'd get injured, be told 4 weeks, and be back in 3.

Also, with the talent Rooney has, does anybody really think that he doesn't have some sort of magical powers? I think he'll use them to full effect.

PHB wrote:
    Also, with the talent Rooney has, does anybody really think that he doesn't have some sort of magical powers? I think he'll use them to full effect.

PHB that line is hilarious.

I have to say I love England, I will be supporting them after my own team Holland, but there are two things that will annoy the pants off everyone from now till the world cup.

1) Will he / Wont he be fit.

&

2) If he isn't fit they will have a ready made excuse.

Ordinarily aswell "most" Meta-Tarsel injuries result in a 8 week recovery process, so if he does come back he would play in the 2nd round. Its hardly justifiable to play someone who has been injured for eight weeks in replacement for someone whom of which has done well throughout the group stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ah the metatarsel , aka what we used to call a broken bone in his foot .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i personally dont see the point of bringing injured players to the world cup, imagine they had a replapse in trainging or manage to play only to have to come off 5 minutes later. the need to play in this would be too strong especially for a 20 year old, and he could end up coming back to quickly and permanently damaging himself..

also do you not think say he will be bcak in 6 weeks and it is 6 weeks to the first game is a small bit of a conincidence?

anyway who will replace him if he doesnt make it?
    presumably it is already Owen and Crouch with Darren Bent and Marlon Harewood? what about Roberts or Beattie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Call_me_al wrote:
    i personally dont see the point of bringing injured players to the world cup,

In general yes but Rooney is a special player and is worth the risk if he's happy enough to take it himself. At any given time there are very few 'special players' in the world who can singlehandedly make the difference in a game at the highest level (eg Henry, Ronaldinho and Rooney) and imho you're not going to win something as big as the World Cup without one.

I could actually see England winning WC2006 (but only if Rooney is there when it comes to the crunch time). Euro2004 was a very clear indication of the difference between England with him and without him. I think the difference would be even more pronounced this time around.

Rooney is a very fit lad and he's also very young both of which should help his recovery time, there's not a chance he'll play the group games even if 'fit'
    as PHB suggests there are actually other options and Roneys absence could actually be good as it will mean (if there is any sense in Sven) that Gerrard or Lampard will be given a role as free agent between midfield and attack.

GK
    RB----CD--CD----LB
    RW
    CM
    LW
    AM
    FW----FW

or

GK
    RB--CB--CB--LB
    DM
    RW---CM----LW
    ----AM
    FW

Mike.

Have they found out the extent of the break? As mentioned above, the recovery time can differ. Owen has been out since New Year's, but Ledley King suffered a stress fracture a few weeks ago and should be fit for the WC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

It says he fractured it...thats all so far. Hope he's back in time to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

just to clear some things up, rooney wont be fit for the start of the world cup by any means.

Mettatarsel does not take 6 weeks to heal, if indeed ot is broken of fractured. A minor fracture is roughly 8-10 weeks, plus the fact he is not going to able to apply any weight on it for some time he will be not match fit.

England dont look beyond rooney and owen imo. They know have two players who are shattered with the same injury, missing valuable match time. This is a time to use and use wisesly crouch and defoe, and bring andy johnson. But watch, Sven wont have the balls to drop owen or rooney, and johnson will stay at home, ill bet on it. He would put out a crippled david beckham and legless owen, instead of playing someone else.

He needs to get a grip and open his eyes, they wont be ABLE to perform come world cup, physically, owen has missed to much and rooney is gna be outa action up until the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Last time Rooney broke his metatarsal, it was 3 months. He'll not play any part in the World Cup, but Sven will bring him like he did with Beckham in 2002, who was woefully unfit anyway.

Engerland look very short on forwards at the moment.

Crouch, Defoe, Bent, ?, ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I broke a metatarsal last year on September 26th. After 7 weeks in a cast, I was told that I could walk on my foot again normally, but that the fracture was only 60% healed, and it would take some considerable time to finish the healing process and undo the muscle atrophy suffered from wearing a cast that long. The next time I played was mid-December, and I felt quite uncomfortable throughout. Then someone stood on my foot in March, it swelled up quite badly, and I haven't played since.

Unfortunately, this is pretty symptomatic of this kind of injury, although Wayne Rooney does have professional fitness gurus at his disposal, as opposed to the North Eastern Helth Board! :) If Rooney is lucky, he'll be able to return to light training after 6 weeks, but IMHO, he has no chance of being match-fit for the World Cup.

Michael Owen is in a somewhat better position. He's made his comeback, experienced a bit of discomfort, but his X-ray today showed no damage. I'd say thats pretty consistent with my own experience, and after another game and some warm-up matches, he should be well on the road to match-fitness. The only worry for him is if he goes into a 50-50 challenge with someone in the near future. There's a big difference between half an hour against a rubbish Birmingham team and a commited international competitive game. As long as he gets through the warm-up games, he should be grand though.

That still leaves the issue of who is going to partner him though. Crouch? Bent? To be honest, neither of them are top-quality strikers. My money would be on Defoe at the moment. Heh - maybe even Andy Johnson will get back in the squad now that Rooney is out! He's got more International experience than Crouch & Bent put together, iirc?

mr_angry wrote:
    Heh - maybe even Andy Johnson will get back in the squad now that Rooney is out! He's got more International experience than Crouch & Bent put together, iirc?
    How do you figure that?? Johnson only has one cap, as far as I remember. It was in that boring 0-0 draw last season with....Holland? Can't remember who. Crouch has a few though, and Bent made his international debut against Paraguy.

Great Post Mr Angry.

Marlon Harewood would be a good replacement, although maybe Sven could tempt Teddy Sheringham outta retirement hehe.

• Advertisement

Fowler? :o

While we are at it bring back gazza.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

With Rooney out there is absolutely no reason not to push Gerrard or Lampard, or both, up into their natural positions in attacking midfield. Carrick can sit in front of the defence and let England's top two midfielders do what they best at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I dont think Carrick's defensive qualities are enough for the highest level, not with the lack of protection an attacking midfield would have. But there doesnt seem to be many other options, so perhaps that will be the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Fowler? :o

Please tell me you are jokin!?

Absolutely gutted he is injured, even if he does regain some level of fitness by the end of the group games you can't just pick up match fitness straight away......

Praying for a miracle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Fowler > Crouch, tbh. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

As Mr Angry has pointed out it's not as open and shut as the English Tabloids would have you wish.

Nobody has mentioned the fact that being pushed to play before he's fit could cause further injuries which could potentially ruin his career. Plus the fact that as soon as he gets onto the field that opposition hardmen are just going to be lining up to "test" how strong his recovery is.

So if he plays before he's fully fit he's probably going to have:
    1. A bad world cup and be blamed for not winning it on his own.
    2. A breakdown which could see him out of football for God knows how long.
    3. An injury caused by another player with the same effect.
    4. A sending off for recating badly to an attempt to injure him and then be blamed for not winning the world cup on his own. Cue more Beckham like hysteria (burning effigies etc etc).

Of course if he puts his career before Ingerlund he'll be accused of being a national traitor and have the tabloids, the FA and officials on his back, for the next two seasons until the run up to Euro '08 when they realise that they need to have him again.

I feel sorry for the lad, he's in a no win situation.

A sending off for recating badly to an attempt to injure him and then be blamed for not winning the world cup on his own. Cue more Beckham like hysteria (burning effigies etc etc).

Of course if he puts his career before Ingerlund he'll be accused of being a national traitor and have the tabloids, the FA and officials on his back, for the next two seasons until the run up to Euro '08 when they realise that they need to have him again.

I feel sorry for the lad, he's in a no win situation.

You're getting very carried away with yourself here!!!!

mr_angry wrote:
    Fowler > Crouch, tbh. :/

Don't rate any of them, crouch preferred only because he can be a target man for England (not a decent one at that!), Fowler = past it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

p_larkin99 wrote:
    You're getting very carried away with yourself here!!!!

ITs true! Thats what would happen!

We'll see. Crouch is going no matter what some may want, I expect Crouch/Owen or Owen playing off a man in the hole.

Mike.

I dont think Carrick's defensive qualities are enough for the highest level, not with the lack of protection an attacking midfield would have. But there doesnt seem to be many other options, so perhaps that will be the midfield.
    Well, it's not like they get any more protection from the usual Lampard/Gerrard 4-4-2 partnership.

What about bringing Butt back in :)
    He is probably the best pure DMC that england ever had? In the last world cup he was unreal.

Yeah he did great for Birmingham this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Butt is a no-go, id pick Ledley King in the holding role in midfield and push either Gerrard or Lampard up behind Michael Owen in the hole, but i think Sven will go with a Crouch Owen partnership, but bringing Rooney along to play him for the knockout stages.

• Advertisement
Advertisement