Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rooney breaks metatarsal - 8 weeks to recover?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Eriksson has announced he will take Rooney even if there is only a slight chance he will be fit for the latter stages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sven also says he's not worried about Owen.

Mike.

Should Aaron Lennon go?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Id have Lennon in the squad anyway. i think he is a quality player and has extra pace and could be a very influential impact sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

adox wrote:
    Erickson has announced he will take Rooney even if there is only a slight chance he will be fit for the latter stages.
    Hadn't heard that....it's risky though. I'd like to see Rooney play in the WC, but I'd hate to see him do further damage to himself.

Hadn't heard that....it's risky though. I'd like to see Rooney play in the WC, but I'd hate to see him do further damage to himself.

I heard it on Sky Sports,half time of the Spurs v Bolton game.

More details here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

i'd bring dean ashton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

p_larkin99 wrote:
    You're getting very carried away with yourself here!!!!

PL I'd like to think so, but I think they are building him up for a fall. He's only 20 years old and they (the media et al) are casting him around as their saviour who will bring them to the promised land i.e. the World Cup. But if there if for any reason he doesn't do it then it'll be his fault somehow.

Look at the histeria that Beckham had to endure after getting sent off against Argentina. He was hung out to dry, there were effigies burnt, his father did get death threats. The only ones that stood by him were United and the fans. It was only when he scored that free against Greece (?) in OT that "Ingerlund" started going easy on him because they realised they might need him again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

adox wrote:
    Eriksson has announced he will take Rooney even if there is only a slight chance he will be fit for the latter stages.
    UTD don't have to let him go though

Imagine if they did'nt...!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

While I would hate to see Rooney miss the world cup, surely if he isnt fit and ready in 4 weeks time, he cannot go?

I cant see the logic. He goes to the world cup, and may not be able to play. Even if the foot is okay in 6 weeks, he isn't match fit. It may not be recovered fully, and end up harming himself further. Or indeed harming Englands prospects.

This is another example of poor management, and lack of learning from the FA/SGE. Beckham and Owen werent 100% last time round, and IMO that cost them a world cup win. Brazil were there for the taking that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

gimmick wrote:
    While I would hate to see Rooney miss the world cup, surely if he isnt fit and ready in 4 weeks time, he cannot go?

I cant see the logic. He goes to the world cup, and may not be able to play. Even if the foot is okay in 6 weeks, he isn't match fit. It may not be recovered fully, and end up harming himself further. Or indeed harming Englands prospects.

This is another example of poor management, and lack of learning from the FA/SGE. Beckham and Owen werent 100% last time round, and IMO that cost them a world cup win. Brazil were there for the taking that day.

Tbh i would imagine the last decision comes down to Wayne. Its really up to him if Doctors tell him he can play BUT there may be a sore foot for a while........ As a pro and a footballer he will do anything to play in it, with a short career i dont think age comes into it when World Cup is the subject. World Cups are what good players are remembered for, i bet anyone who has watched one could name the 11 that won.

SVE will take him if doctors tell him he can kick a ball, its not up to him.

/see the game other night? :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

^ Mercifully I had a work do, so if i didnt see it, it didnt happen :o

Back on topic, it shouldnt be Rooneys decision. Obvioulsy he will do everything he can to make it, but strong management is whats needed here, and if Rooney is unfit, he simply should not be picked.

As i said above, i would hate if he missed out, as it would be a loss to football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

as i said if a player is not fit for Game 1 dont bring him, simple as, waste of a space. what happens on Game 1, if both Owen, Rooney & A. Cole are "FIT" and the all suffer relapses during the game? i know its unlikely but could happen. I would see that as world cup over for them. better to not bring them at all.

but if the decision is left up to Rooney, and he is not 100% then he will go, he will play unfit and he will be targeted by the opposition. if i was Alex Ferguson, I would not release him unless 100%.

• Advertisement

To be honest I think that if Cole, Owen and Rooney were all injured but just about fit enough to get into their boots, Sven would still pick them above, say, Konchesky, Bent and Crouch.

well what about over Bridge and Defoe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I think its too early to call whether he will go or not. The problem I see it if he does recover quickly is that its his kicking foot thats damaged. One of Rooneys main attributes is his power in his shots and he'll lack a bit of that.

It seemed there wasn't any impact in the break also. It looked like his foot just went over itself and the toe took the weight.

Thats Beckham/Owen/King/Neville & Rooney now all with this injury. Is it just the english media focus too much on the metatarsel bone or is this a common injury in football these days?

On a side note: did anyone see our own Andy Rooney score his 1st senior hatrick for Stoke yesterday at the age of 18? Thats 4 goals in his last 5 games from midfield.

As for the holding midfield role, my 1st choice would be Carragher as there is no chance he'll play in CB role with probably Rio & Terry getting them. With King still in crutches and Carragher playing out of his skin this year, he's well capable of filling in. He might however find himself at LB.

Call_me_al wrote:
    well what about over Bridge and Defoe?
    I didn't mean those players exactly, I was only using examples.
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    On a side note: did anyone see our own Andy Rooney score his 1st senior hatrick for Stoke yesterday at the age of 18? Thats 4 goals in his last 5 games from midfield.
    Adam ;) There may be a Rooney at the World Cup yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Adam ;) There may be a Rooney at the World Cup yet!

Would that be Irelands Andy Rooney?

Rooney hs a good chance of being fit for the World cup He's young and will heal quicker than some Older players with similar injuries have. He will be fresh too after his six week rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

The Muppet wrote:
    He will be fresh too after his six week rest.
    And sure there's no better place to work on the ol' match fitness...

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

if owen and rooney arent going to the WC id like to see the odds you`d get for them not to get out of their group or pass the first knock out stage, but you never know, gerrard to play off defoe, with carrick playing in midfield wouldnt be bad or even to play gerrard there if owen could still play!!

The Muppet wrote:
    Would that be Irelands Andy Rooney?

Rooney hs a good chance of being fit for the World cup He's young and will heal quicker than some Older players with similar injuries have. He will be fresh too after his six week rest.
    Ireland's? Andy? We talking about the same fella? :confused:

obviously you mean Adam Rooney at stoke, yes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson admits he holds little hope for Wayne Rooney to make a full recovery for the World Cup.

The nation held its breath when Rooney went down on Saturday against Chelsea clutching his foot, and with it now having been confirmed that the 20-year-old has fractured his metatarsal in his right foot, the early diagnosis does not look positive.

Rooney will need at least six weeks to recover from the injury, the exact period from when the World Cup commences, but such knocks can take longer to heal.

Ferguson admits that he knew as soon as Rooney went down at Stamford Bridge that the injury was serious and now, disappointed for his player, admits the prospects for Germany are not looking bright.

"When you see brave players staying down after a tackle you know it’s genuine and he’s in pain and that’s what I felt with Wayne," Ferguson told Manchester United radio.

"At first we didn’t think it was too bad, but when we sent him for the scan it identified the problem and we realised what a blow it was for the boy and for England.

"Fortunately for us we'll only be without him for two games, but without doubt it’s a crippling blow for England.

"I spoke to Wayne on Saturday evening and he was obviously a bit down, but I told him these things happen. You never know but at the moment I doubt that he’ll take part (in the World Cup) because of the recovery time."

Ferguson claims he has already attempted to get in touch with England coach Sven Goran Eriksson and that he will continue to keep the Swede updated on Rooney's progress in the ensuing weeks.

"I’ve tried to get hold of Sven so I can give him as clear an opinion from us as possible because he’ll be reading a lot of stuff in the newspapers," he continued.

"We’ve spoken to the England doctor and I think it’s important that I give as much information as I can to Sven to make sure he’s absolutely clear on what road he can take.

"Wayne will be in plaster for the next few weeks and he’ll be having regular scans to see how it’s healing.

"I would think this injury is even more of a killer-blow to him because he knows he’s missing major tournaments.

"This time round it’s even worse because he’s more mature and is a more rounded player who has improved dramatically over the last two years. So it’s a real, real blow."

While England's other players have been quick to wish Rooney well in his recovery, Ferguson believes that the pressure put on the 20-year-old is threatening to get out-of-hand and instead, insists that Eriksson's more senior men need to step up and take responsibility in his absence.

"I said a few weeks ago that I didn’t want to see this kind of pressure on a lad of 20 years of age.

"Other more experienced players such as David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville, should be taking the mantle.

"If England don’t have Wayne Rooney they will need to look at getting inspiration from other players."

Obviously he is going to say that. I mean, he said it about Heinze too. You expect the worse and if you get anything better than fair play. Hopefully he can do it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

its not just fitness,anyone who plays football will tell ya your form doesnt come back for a few weeks minimum.rooney needs to be fit and in form to be a threat to top international defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Ireland's? Andy? We talking about the same fella? :confused:

Irelands Adam Rooney? Yes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Probably a blessing in disguise for fergie..

Ferguson has said he will not go unless Utd are happy with his fitness.
    Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has criticised England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson over his belief Wayne Rooney can play in the World Cup.
    Ferguson said: "We will do our best to get the boy to Germany but if he is not fit, he is not going to go.

"In six weeks' time Rooney will have another two weeks to get fit to play in the quarter-final of a World Cup. That is a wild dream.

"Sven saying he'll take Wayne fit or not was something we didn't want."

Eriksson has indicated he will probably take Rooney to Germany whether he is fit or not.

Ferguson has not yet spoken to Eriksson about Rooney's injury, which was sustained in United's defeat at Chelsea on Saturday.

"I have left messages on his phone but I have not spoken to him," said Ferguson. "But obviously the club will deal directly with the Football Association and make sure they are kept fully informed of Wayne's progress.

"We are doing a CAT scan on him on Wednesday and he will get that checked every week."

Ferguson accepts Rooney's absence would harm Eriksson's hopes of success this summer.

"Without doubt it is a crippling blow for England," he said.

"When you see brave players staying down after a tackle you know it's genuine and he's in pain and that's what I felt with Wayne.

"At first we didn't think it was too bad, but when we sent him for the scan it identified the problem and we realised what a blow it was for the boy and for England.

"I spoke to Wayne on Saturday and he was obviously a bit down, but I told him these things happen."

The injury is the same one that ended Rooney's Euro 2004 campaign - but Ferguson knows the timing is even worse for him this time.

He added: "I would think this injury is even more of a killer-blow to him because he knows he is missing major tournaments.

"This time round it is even worse because he is more mature and is a more rounded player who has improved dramatically over the last two years. So it is a real, real blow."

He explained: "I have tried to get hold of Sven so I can give him as clear an opinion from us as possible because he will be reading a lot of stuff in the newspapers.

"We have spoken to the England doctor and I think it is important that I give as much as information as I can to Sven to make sure he is absolutely clear on what road he can take.

"Wayne will be in plaster for the next few weeks and he'll be having regular scans to see how it is healing."

The Scot added he was unhappy that Rooney had been saddled with such a burden of national expectation.

"I said a few weeks ago that I didn't want to see this kind of pressure on a lad of 20," said Ferguson.

"Other more experienced players such as David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville, should be taking the mantle.

"If England don't have Wayne Rooney they will need to look at getting inspiration from other players."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭jobonar

It'll be a big blow for england if he doesn't make it to the finals but i think fergie is dead right not to let him go unless he's fit enough...

the last thing united need is for an unfit rooney to go to the finals and do more damage and miss the start of the season... united will need to get a good start to the season this year and not having rooney fit would hinder that severly!

• Advertisement

Had to laugh watching Sky Sports News just there...."Victoria Beckham thinks Rooney will be fit enough for the World Cup".
    Anyone else know that she was a doctor??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Yeah that was hilarious alright. Theyre probably going around at the end of every interview they get asking about Wayne Rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

at least FIFA have come out and said that it will ultimately be Man U's decision whether he can go or not.
    I expect him to be named in the squad on the 15th May. At least he can be changed on the 9th June if he looks like he won't make it.

I'm gutted that he's missing the WC cos I had a fair bit of money on him at 18-1 to be top scorer. No chance now:(

I see FIFA have said teams can change a nominated player in a squad up to 24 hours before the first game, but then they have to stick with the choice they make.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

Lex Luthor wrote:
    at least FIFA have come out and said that it will ultimately be Man U's decision whether he can go or not.
    I expect him to be named in the squad on the 15th May. At least he can be changed on the 9th June if he looks like he won't make it.

I'm gutted that he's missing the WC cos I had a fair bit of money on him at 18-1 to be top scorer. No chance now:(

Same happened me Euro 2004, had him at 66/1 before he was even named in an England team ... was top scorer when he got injured.

Fecker :D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

According to one of the red tops this morning, it's not just a single break but a series of fractures that could take up to 3 months to heal properly. As with all rumours, take it with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

According to one of the red tops this morning, it's not just a single break but a series of fractures that could take up to 3 months to heal properly. As with all rumours, take it with a pinch of salt.

Was on FM104 etc as well this morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Just heard one doctor saying on the radio forget all the hype and all the stories circulating to sell papers and that. He was saying the multiple fractures that is has now been confirmed will take a min of 12 weeks to recover from, so no world cup.

I think Sky will drag this on and make a fortune out of it right up to the world cup. The annoying this is now they have all their excuses ready for when they don't win the bloody thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

Does anyone find the english media just hilarious?

I mean they think Rooney is a god who was going to bring home the world cup. Granted they have a great chance this year but they've yet to play in their first match.. and we all know England.. they'll be gone as soon as they meet tougher oposition. Even if Wayne heals up, he wont start training until 3rd or 4th week in June. If England are still in the world cup, how could they justify putting a half fit player in when someone else was filling his boots doing a good job at it. I think it would work out better for England without him. They may play with some passion and Beckham may bother his arse for a change to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I wonder will you get your money back if he doesn't go to the World Cup, under the non-runner rule? Like when you put a bet on someone to score the first goal and he doesnt play or he only comes on as sub after the first goal has been scored, you are entitled to a refund of your stake. I'd chance it anyway.

There's no way United are going to let him travel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I'd say you would, its only right. I've backed Crespo and Podolski anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Same here. Backed him ages ago, and as a result I take full responsibilty for his injury! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

mike65 wrote:
    So its confirmed Rooneys break is a metatarsal, is it me or have these injuries only come about since the standard issue boot design and construction was changed to the rather flimsy lightweight current footwear?

I'm only getting around to commenting on this topic now, but no doubt it will surface again in the next few weeks as we hear more news on the recovery progress.

I agree with you Mike. These injuries seem to be much more common than in years gone by, whether they were called foot injuries or metatarsal breaks.

The injury seems to be self-inflicted, and occurs when over-extending a step and stretching, where there is extra weight on the foot probably in a stepping forward action. This seems to be the case for Rooney's recent injury, but also his from Euro 2004 (was that a different bone or is it a re-break?), and also Owen's one this season, and probably Beckham's, although I cant remember that incident clearly.

I have no data how frequently it is occuring throughout football.

The cause is unclear. It could be due to a change in the flexibility of the sole of the boot, which is more flexible than in years gone by, as well as the tight-ness of the lacing. Professional footballers are pernickety about their boots and tend to lace them very tight. Rooney was wearing a new boot on the day, which was tested by him before. The boot companies (Nike in this case) would have a lot to lose if it was indicated to be a boot design problem, and Rooney and Man U probably get money from them, so even if that is the cause it will kept well under wraps due to contracs, etc.

Has anyone any Sport Science links as to the probably cause of the break, whether its indicated as a boot or is it a case just like Busst (ouch), Smith etc where nothing could be done about.

redspider

Rooney himself reckoned it was'nt the boot, I heard an ex player suggest the pitch may be the problem - namely they are too firm! In the old days of course they were often a quagmire for much of the season and maybe were never as firm (except in rare periods) as they are now.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I read something similar. Danny Murphy, i think it was, a week or 2 ago dissagreed that it was the boots causing more foot injuries and more to do with the playing surfaces becoming firmer and harder.

• Advertisement

It could be playing surfaces, but what about the studs as well or a combination thereof? I would find it hard to believe that its the surface alone, which is tended to better in the modern age than in the past, being more consistent, watered before games, etc. Surely there is equivalent 'give' in the pitche surface now in most matches as there was at least some of the time in the past.

I think clearly even the footballers themselves are realising that this type of injury is occuring these days when in years gone by people didnt break their foot just from taking or 'running through' an awkward step. Perhaps its a combination of factors, surface, boot, studs, leg muscles, tendons, etc. Whatever the cause, the effect is to put an unnatural amount of pressure on those foot bones causing them to break.

I also wonder is it diet related, are players bones more brittle/weaker now than in the past due to diet, supplements, etc? Some of these players might have been on supplements from a very young age which may have affected their calcium and intake of other nutrients, etc.

hmmmmm .....

redspider

redspider wrote:
    It could be playing surfaces, but what about the studs as well or a combination thereof? I would find it hard to believe that its the surface alone, which is tended to better in the modern age than in the past, being more consistent, watered before games, etc. Surely there is equivalent 'give' in the pitche surface now in most matches as there was at least some of the time in the past.

I think clearly even the footballers themselves are realising that this type of injury is occuring these days when in years gone by people didnt break their foot just from taking or 'running through' an awkward step. Perhaps its a combination of factors, surface, boot, studs, leg muscles, tendons, etc. Whatever the cause, the effect is to put an unnatural amount of pressure on those foot bones causing them to break.

I also wonder is it diet related, are players bones more brittle/weaker now than in the past due to diet, supplements, etc? Some of these players might have been on supplements from a very young age which may have affected their calcium and intake of other nutrients, etc.

hmmmmm .....

redspider

i would say a combination of
    1. Boots - they def don't give as much protection any more. I looked at an old pair I had at home(10 yrs old) vs a new pair and their is no comparison.
    2. Pitches - are kept in far better condition than before
    3. Amount of football - I think this is the biggest factor - players are far fitter than before and train a lot more as well as play a lot more matches so there is far more strain on the body.

Yeah, the amount of football being played is certainly a possible factor, and is clearly another difference to years gone by, but perhaps not as much as one would think, as squad rotation has certainly decreased playing minutes as well as the increase in subs. Gone are the days of ever-present starting-11's, apart from a few exceptions such as Lampard.

Another factor which may be possible are the modern socks, the current ones are more like 'silk' stockings and are slippy as bejaysus. That lack of traction between foot and boot may be the slight factor, or may contribute to the problem as players must lace their shoes up even tighter to counteract the effect. This may be the straw that is "breaking the camel's back", as it were.

Overall though, I think there is clearly something going on, and it may just be a combination of things. The clubs though should try and do something about it and the likes of the PFA and Sports Science people should get it thoroughly investigated. Its wont be easy to do that though as it is a rare occurrence and difficult to test/analyse.

redspider

The article below seems to support the items raised in this thread. That a number of factors are coming to play. Although they dont mention slippy socks I would still think that must be a contributing factor.

I also wonder about the diet aspect. The article didnt specifically state it out loud, but the hint is there that other vitamin supplements could be affecting the uptake of calcium and other bone-strengthening nutrients and minerals in the players these days.

Have a read .....

Redspider

+++

Useful articles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metatarsal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4970176.stm

Metatarsals - a football fad?

Wayne Rooney is on crutches and the word metatarsal is being uttered yet again across the country ahead of a World Cup. It was David Beckham in 2002 and now Man United's star striker is the subject of hourly medical updates after breaking bones in his foot. So what is all the fuss about, why does it seem to be happening more and is it an injury than can be prevented? BBC Sport asked Professor of Sports Science Tom Reilly, Sport Specialist Richard Higgins and Reading physio Jon Fearn.

IS THIS A NEW PHENOMENON?

Fearn: It has always been around and used to be called a broken foot. After all the Beckham analysis in 2002 the metatarsal word came up and has been used ever since. I've been at Reading for five years and we've never had one, but I have never known so many England players to suffer.

Higgins: It's a phenomenon of modern sport and has been increasing over the last 15 years. Many of these metatarsal fractures are because of stress or over-use. There have always been stress fractures in sport, but training and the intensity of training has increased hugely.

Reilly: It has always been traditionally recognised. There has always been a combination of breaks due to over-use and impact fractures. There are not necessarily more or less metatarsal injuries now but we all certainly know more about it. Over the last four years because of high profile injuries, there is better knowledge in the game and it is being commented on more in the public domain.

IS IT A COMMON FOOTBALL INJURY?

Reilly: Most football injuries are in the lower limbs, although the shoulder is a common one, especially for goalkeepers. So the knee, ankle and feet bones are often on the receiving end due to contact and changing body posture when trying to avoid other players.

WHY IS IT HAPPENING MORE?

Higgins: Pitches are harder these days and players at the top are fitter, faster and stronger. The stresses players' feet endure are hugely different to 20-25 years ago. Grass pitches are often sand-based to improve drainage. These will be watered to increase speed, and not necessarily to make them softer. It can be like running on concrete. Today's boots are probably less supportive and lighter, which will add to the stresses on the bones.

Fearn: The pitches are a major factor. Metatarsals often break due to increased stress levels and these stresses change with differing playing surfaces. Premiership stars play on gorgeous surfaces day in, day out and any slight change in conditions will mean their feet may not be conditioned for that surface. Playing on a variety of surfaces creates different stresses and this is beneficial. Bones respond to load and if you don't provide the high load the bones can become weaker and vulnerable. However, if the workload is intense without rest or players just work on soft surfaces they again become susceptible to fracture.

Boots have become very cosmetic. Blades, for example, have been banned by some clubs and I advise against them. They make the lower limbs very vulnerable. They are like crampons in mountaineering. We recommend a more conical stud so if a player spins, they spin on a cylindrical point rather than having something that just grips. The upper part of a boot used to be a lot stronger for protection. Now they are made of flimsy plastic that feels like paper, but many players seem to want that lightweight feel of the boot.

CAN THIS INJURY BE PREVENTED?

Higgins: All these metatarsal breaks are stress fractures and you only really see it with players who train intensively at the highest level. Improving your bone density will hugely help a player avoid this kind of fracture and bone density responds to training. When beginning training, I always advise a gradual start over the first 6-12 months and then slowly build this up.

Fearn: It sounds simple, but jumping up and down on a concrete surface will really help. Research many years ago into osteoporosis for old people involved getting sheep to jump up and down! Over time their bones strengthened tremendously! And when buying boots, don't always look at fashion. You need to combine comfort with what is right for the playing surface.

Reilly: Players are totally at the mercy of what happens around them and many injuries are unavoidable. But many injuries are associated with being anxious. So when tackling, for example, it is important to be committed. Jumping provides stimulus for bone growth and there is a need to build your calcium intake - drinking milk is not an old wives' tale.

WHAT HELPS RECOVERY?

Fearn: Rooney will need to be fit, be able to train and feel match sharp to be ready for the World Cup. It is a massive risk if any player is rushed back. Firstly, you need to maximise the healing. An Exogen device using low intensity ultrasound sends a pulse through the bone and stimulates growth. The benefit of oxygen tents has never been proven, but if there is a chance any facility like this may work then it has got to be worth trying. Aqua belts in the swimming pool enable players to run without bearing weight on their lower limbs so this is beneficial to improving aerobic fitness.

Higgins: Using ultra sound waves can really speed up healing. It is used three times a day, 25 minutes each time. With a metatarsal break the legs are not put in plaster and you will see players in removable air cast walkers. This allows full treatment to the foot when needed. The load on the foot is then built up as the pain resides.

Tom Reilly is a Professor of Sports Science at Liverpool's John Moores University.
    Jon Fearn is a physiotherpist at Reading Football Club.
    Richard Higgins is a specialist in sport and muscular medicine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement