Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower Trouble

Options
  • 29-04-2006 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭

Last week my lawnmower starting giving some bother. It runs very rough. When I start it is runs perfect for the first 5 secs than goes all 'lumpy'. I topped up the oil, cleaned the plug and air filter and no change. It's also using twice as much petrol. I went to the hardware to get a new plug but he was all out of my type.

Anyone any ideas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Perhaps the Blade has gotten loose or is bent in someway from maybe being driven over the odd stone or rock? This happened to me about 3 years ago as at the time I had no Grass Trimmer and I used to driver the mower up on the kerb to "edge it" however something distracted me and it fall of with the blade ploughing into the Concrete Kerb. There was some sort of joint attaching the Blade to the Engine that broke it cost €100 to fix, but apparently the joint was designed to break to stop any engine damage.

Also maybe you might have a build-up of dried grass in there left over from last year. I turned mine on its side this year and scraped out all the dried grass using an old wood chisel and a wire brush. My deck is galvanized steel so it won't rust however anyone with a steel deck should do this routine maintenance regularly. As most blade are steel it is a good idea to give them a rub of used engine oil, usually referred to "burned oil" Worth taking it to a lawnmower place and getting it sorted out if it isn't the dried grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

The blade looks ok on visual inspection but I haven't looked for damage to it. I dont think it hit anything substantial. It has been fine for several cuts so far this year. It ran out of petrol and I filled it up and when I started it after filling it was then 'lumpy'. When I filled it petrol spilled out the filler neck as I overfilled slightly. I've ran the lawnmower with the air filter off in case it was blocked and still no difference. I wonder is it dirt in the fuel line that falls back once the mower is left lying for a few minutes and then once I start it and fuel begins to flow the dirt moves back to the point in the fuel line where it restricting fuel supply?

Anyone know how to tackle the fuel lines on a lawnmower??????

Advertisement