Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting it on the internet

Options
  • 30-04-2006 1:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Ok, I'm very knew at this and I really don't know what to do.

I have a website built. All the html files and css file were done it notepad and the whole site is in a folder on my desktop.
    Now what do you actually do to get it on the web? I've searched and found no answers.
    I assume you have to pay a website to host it for you, what websites are there that do this? And do you know any that offer good prices?
    I know i could just upload the files onto geocities but I am willing to pay and I don't want ads on my site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭leftofcentre

Its simple enough, go on over to: http://www.hosting365.com/hosting.php

Sign up for the basic plan, and you will be up and running in a few days. You are best sticking with an irish host as you can ring up tech support and get help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

You can also use Blacknight.ie

Very reliable.
    Any good hosting company will have you up and running in days.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

The cheapest way is to use a free hosting company like doteasy.com where you buy the domain name from them and your hosting is free. You get 100 megs of space or so and a gig traffic iirc but if it's just a small site then that should be fine for you for now. (unless you want a dynamic site using php/databases etc where you will have to pay for hosting)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Should there be a 'disclosure' on posting affiliate links as 'recommendations'?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

louie wrote:
    Any good hosting company will have you up and running in days.

If it's a .com you should be "up and running" practically instantly

• Advertisement

Should there be a 'disclosure' on posting affiliate links as 'recommendations'?

Why should there be.
    Is my bandwidth and time I am spending trying to help, not yours, and from your business point of view it doesn't look right complaining when competition arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

No need to take offence, just thought the requester should know when you stand to gain financially from the recomendation (as it is pretty clear I do from mine :) )

It's certainly not a good idea to post affiliate links on boards so personally I don't want to see them. Whether or not Ph3nom agrees with me for this forum is his decision.

Personally I view affiliate links as advertising verging on spam. Simply for the reason that the affiliate id holder doesn't necessarily believe in the company/product. I guess I don't have a problem if you state "this is an affiliate link, I stand to gain financially if you purchase this product through my link".

However, affiliate id's are a no-no on boards afaic.

Gordon wrote:
    It's certainly not a good idea to post affiliate links on boards so personally I don't want to see them. Whether or not Ph3nom agrees with me for this forum is his decision.

Personally I view affiliate links as advertising verging on spam. Simply for the reason that the affiliate id holder doesn't necessarily believe in the company/product. I guess I don't have a problem if you state "this is an affiliate link, I stand to gain financially if you purchase this product through my link".

However, affiliate id's are a no-no on boards afaic.

Despite the fact that I don't care about your opinion whatsoever, I removed the affiliate link just to keep you guys happy cause it looks like you cann't get sleep over it.

The terms of this forum doesn't mention anything about it, and the entire post went from helping to criticism.

I think best, if you have a problem with a post or link as the above example you can just PM the owner or report it icon4.gif to the admin or moderator, so the entire post doesn't go off the subject as very often happens.

I don't think the creator of this tread likes to read all this nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

No problem with direct links to hosting companies - but affiliate programs, etc are not allowed - simple as that

And there is also no need to go on about prices, etc - people can read when they go to the other sites

• Advertisement

louie wrote:
    Despite the fact that I don't care about your opinion whatsoever
    Fair enough, however, I siteban people for posting affiliate links for your information, maybe I should have made that more clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I think the mods are fair on that issue, now back to helping, goto hostsearch.com, personally i prefer hosting365(.ie) because of their features but they cost slightly more.

Hosting365 has all the features, support etc. you would require however, if you are looking upon a smaller budget, google it for the best results or hostsearch.com

Remember cheapness is not always the best....

Advertisement