Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - tulips dying?

Options
  • 30-04-2006 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭

Here is the pic today, the leaves do not look good. Our first time gardening and it is not looking great!

Mart

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

mart_max wrote:
    Here is the pic today, the leaves do not look good. Our first time gardening and it is not looking great!

Mart

Are they indoors? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Outside on patio, althou I'm thinking now to bring them in assuming cold and dry weather plus strong wind causing the problem.

Mart

mart_max wrote:
    Outside on patio, althou I'm thinking now to bring them in assuming cold and dry weather plus strong wind causing the problem.

Mart

Tulips are outdoor plants - the patio would be too warm and dry. The problem with tulips is that the get damaged easily by wind but there is not that much you can do about that unless you can find a sheltered area in the garden. Put them out anyway and water and feed them.

Litcagral

Thanks for your replies. I think I will leave them there anyway and have them watered once every day. Will extra water help them go through the dry weather? And, what do I do with the dying leaves?

Gosh, they look good last week and now I am worried!

Mart

mart_max wrote:
    Litcagral

Thanks for your replies. I think I will leave them there anyway and have them watered once every day. Will extra water help them go through the dry weather? And, what do I do with the dying leaves?

Gosh, they look good last week and now I am worried!

The leaves may revitalise but if they don't after a few days they should fall off themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Are you overwatering them? Do they have enough drainage - I mean, are they in nicely sandy soil with some broken crockery or biggish stones at the bottom, to let excess water drain off?

As far as I remember, the original tulips were one of those Himlayan bulbs that are used to living on a steep hillside with good drainage, and then getting drenched and fed once a year before they flower.

The equivalent treatment is to put them in a well-drained soil (see above) and water them often enough to keep them happy, but let the water drain off so the bulbs don't rot.

But then, who am I to talk; some swine of a mouse or vine weevil or something keeps eating all my bulbs.

Here's a site that may help:

http://www.tulipworld.com/tulip.asp?contentloc=/info/bulbcare/care.shtml

Litcagral wrote:
    The leaves may revitalise but if they don't after a few days they should fall off themselves.

Finger cross, as one of the tulips is nearly lying facing the earth.

Mart

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm not sure but given the size of container and the heat over the last few days, I'd think the problem might be lack of water. Containers can dry out very fast if they're in direct sunlight. Just my thoughts....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

Yellowing leaves like that is a sign of overwatering AFAIK. Maybe cut down the daily watering to once every 4/5 days. As they are bulbs, unless they are starting to rot they should come back next year. They'll be coming to the end of their flowering spell soon anyway.

Advertisement