Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

exclusive schools

• 30-04-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭

where do you think the serious wealthy send there offspring to secondary school in Ireland :-
    apparently for girls its Rathdown and Mount Anville - and the boys :-
    St Gerards ; Clongowes ; St. Columbus and Blackrock college .
    was out last night , surrounded by a bunch of very posh and very moneyed and they all seemd to come from this Rock, Clongowes and Mount anville background, and this discussion was raised.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

who cares! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

My Aunt and Uncle have their son in clongowes and daughter in rathdown. They dont share their wealth with the family!

In actual fact, because their boarding they get away with murder. Private school breeds the wrong qualities if we want a fair and even society, thats my oponion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

These schools aren't exclusive as such. Most of the private schools in Ireland charge the same prices for day school/boarding. The area you live in usually decides which school you go to be it private or public.

joe robot wrote:
    who cares! :cool:

So true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

*Tripper* wrote:
    These schools aren't exclusive as such. Most of the private schools in Ireland charge the same prices for day school/boarding. The area you live in usually decides which school you go to be it private or public.

exactly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If you are going by most expensive schools in the country, don't forget schoos such as Bruce and the Institute. But honestly, who does care?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I think that you have to goto the school in your area, if its a public school, but you can go to schools outside your area if its a private school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

If you want you kid to wear a pink t-shirt and talk like a fag, send them to those schools.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

cheesedude wrote:
    If you are going by most expensive schools in the country, don't forget schoos such as Bruce and the Institute. But honestly, who does care?

bruce is no more

insistute isnt really a school, its basically a collection of kids going to a room to get notes, leaving for coffee, then some study

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

If you want you kid to wear a pink t-shirt and talk like a fag, send them to those schools.

clearly someone got a inferior education...just remeber my friend, those 'fags in pink t-shirts' will be your bosses, ya wont get far the that sorta attitude

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

thebaz wrote:
    where do you think the serious wealthy send there offspring to secondary school in Ireland :-
    was out last night , surrounded by a bunch of very posh and very moneyed and they all seemd to come from this Rock, Clongowes and Mount anville background, and this discussion was raised.
    1. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054918452
    2. St Gerard's is mixed.
    3. St Columba's is mixed.
    4. It doesn't matter where you send your children to school. What matters is the parenting. (Re attitudes.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

4. It doesn't matter where you send your children to school. What matters is the parenting. (Re attitudes.)

I don't think it doesnt matter completely. While parenting is the most important factor, the school environment is a factor also.

Children want friends. Send your child to a school full of knacks, and he'll probably become one.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

mloc wrote:
    I don't think it doesnt matter completely. While parenting is the most important factor, the school environment is a factor also.

Children want friends. Send your child to a school full of knacks, and he'll probably become one.
    Not if they're brought up properly. Most people can relate to their peers without actually having to become assimilated to the group. I think proponents call it individualism or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

People who go to private schools think that public schools are full of knackers, and public school goers think private schools are full of posh snobs. Neither is true. Neither system is any better or worse than the other and neither makes an attempt to breed discrimination between supposed class differences in the country.

My parents sent me a private school because when I started school it was consdiered one of the best schools in my area. At this point in time there are a couple of public schools that were rated comparably by the Irish Times, so maybe they'd make a different decision today.

It's the quality of the school that matters, and if you happen to live in an area where the highest quality school is private then if you can afford it, you should pay it.

In answer to your question though... I would say that there are people amongst the seriously wealthy (as there are across society) who have the attitude of "the more expensive the better". But on the whole people who have wealth probably make the same decision that less wealthy people do, to send their children to the best possible school. Their wealth just gives them more options.

Not if they're brought up properly. Most people can relate to their peers without actually having to become assimilated to the group. I think proponents call it individualism or something.

i dont think many schools promote indiviualism, uniforms etc. spending 6+ hours in a building is going to influenece you, the people in that building and their attitudes will stay with you. IMO

i dont think many schools promote indiviualism, uniforms etc. spending 6+ hours in a building is going to influenece you, the people in that building and their attitudes will stay with you. IMO
    Uniforms do promote individualism. Where you have uniforms, people don't have to worry about how they dress (at least not in school) and thus are able to fit in without having to assimilate.

I went to two secondary schools which were polar opposites of each other, and I found that in the school where there was no uniform, there was far more pressure on people to conform to the predominant dress code.

By the time you reach secondary school, you are starting to evaluate your peers attitudes for yourself, and you can use your own judgement to decide what's right for you. Some people spend their entire time being non-conformists, and that works for them. In turn, others see fit to become just everything that they see is popular. I find that the most rounded people are those who have found a middle-ground somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I wouldn't necessarily agree with that, I think one of the reasons schools like uniforms etc, is to try to create a school identity and a community spirit within the school. It's possible to feel like an idividual while co-operating with the school system. As hullaballoo said, how you're brought up has a huge part to play in this. It doesn't have to be a choice between assimilation or isolation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

Lodgepole wrote:
    People who go to private schools think that public schools are full of knackers, and public school goers think private schools are full of posh snobs. Neither is true. Neither system is any better or worse than the other and neither makes an attempt to breed discrimination between supposed class differences in the country.

My parents sent me a private school because when I started school it was consdiered one of the best schools in my area. At this point in time there are a couple of public schools that were rated comparably by the Irish Times, so maybe they'd make a different decision today.

It's the quality of the school that matters, and if you happen to live in an area where the highest quality school is private then if you can afford it, you should pay it.

In answer to your question though... I would say that there are people amongst the seriously wealthy (as there are across society) who have the attitude of "the more expensive the better". But on the whole people who have wealth probably make the same decision that less wealthy people do, to send their children to the best possible school. Their wealth just gives them more options.

I think that says it all

The public/private divide wouldn't bother me, but would definitely not send a child of mine to either a boarding school as a boarder or any school that was not mixed. Was fortunate enough to go to a small mixed school with no uniforms, and it was a great great place. Academically poor, but it was a good place to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

thebaz wrote:

did you mean Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Mount anville - is this not a non fee paying school?

Mount anville - is this not a non fee paying school?

its fee paying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭model

Lodgepole wrote:
    Neither system is any better or worse than the other

Surely the sign of a good school is the average points achieved each year in the Leaving Cert? Therefore, would you not agree that private schools tend to achieve better results than public schools (with exceptions) and have the right to be considered better than the other (in this case, public schools).

Also, as a secondary student, students in Rathdown aren't really proud of going there, so I wouldn't say it fits in the above category of "exclusive schools". I'd also say that that is rather misleading. These schools arent really hard to get into to, just a bit expensive.

model wrote:
    Surely the sign of a good school is the average points achieved each year in the Leaving Cert? Therefore, would you not agree that private schools tend to achieve better results than public schools (with exceptions) and have the right to be considered better than the other (in this case, public schools).

Wouldn't agree at all. The average points depends on many factors, such as how many grinds Mammy and Daddy have paid for their kids, whether they've been sent off abroad for a summer or two for a foreign language, whether they can afford the crash courses in Bruce or Leeson Street etc. There are many advantages which people with money, being those who send their kids to fee paying school, can afford and which are out of the range of others.

model wrote:
    also say that that is rather misleading. These schools arent really hard to get into to, just a bit expensive.

there are interviews and waiting lists for most of these schools

Htats a load of BS. Once you have the dosh you'll get in. Private Schools arent aloud to acept you on the basis of an exam/interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

model wrote:

Bollocks. If a school produces students who get 500+ points but they're all twats, is it still a good school? Schools schould strive to produce students that do well in their studies (or do well enough so that they can do what they want in life), but also get rounded educations that teach them lessons that'll serve them for life.
    model wrote:

Also, as a secondary student, students in Rathdown aren't really proud of going there.

Do you know anyone who went there? My gf went to Rathdown back in the day, she's sitting beside me and can think of only one girl who wasn't happy with the school.

*Tripper* wrote:
    Htats a load of BS. Once you have the dosh you'll get in. Private Schools arent aloud to acept you on the basis of an exam/interview.

no its not BS, I went to a family run private school , and i know people who tried get in and they were refused on the basis of their interview, what do you base your arguement on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭model

Do you know anyone who went there?

No I do not know people who went there, I know people who go there, and they tend to prefer not to say they go to Rathdown. That's from people I know, maybe I'm wrong.

• Advertisement

Bollocks. If a school produces students who get 500+ points but they're all twats, is it still a good school? Schools schould strive to produce students that do well in their studies (or do well enough so that they can do what they want in life), but also get rounded educations that teach them lessons that'll serve them for life.

While I'm reluctant to suggest that one system or another churns out a better person, must say that in our small, mixed school with no uniforms and no discipline and no good teachers, we had a blast. Even now 15 years later many of us stay in touch and I could bump in to any of my former classmates and go for pint any time. That may be nothing to do with the school, maybe it's just cos we all grew up together in a small town, but all I remember were sunny days spent practising smoking and talking about girls...there was no bullying, no drugs, we were hammered in every sports outing, many were just passing time before taking over the farm, but they really were great days.

Advertisement