Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

exclusive schools

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i dont think it's fair to say every private school is the same, i'm in the unique position of having gone to probably the two so-called 'poshest schools' in Dublin, Blackrock and Belvedere. The way i'd judge a private school is on how it redistributes the fees it collects and what kind of outlook it imparts on its so-called privileged students. For instance Belvedere at the moment has 15% of its students on complete (books, fees etc) scholarship schemes with a view to increasing it to 25% (as far as i can remember.) The guys who avail of these scholarships weren't being dropped in in mercs, they were walking around the corner from the flats, and they were treated just the same as everyone else, fitted in just the same. If a private school uses its money sensibly, has a good mix of people, good resourses and amenities, then it's a good school. Loads of my friends went to public schools, loads went to private schools, at then end of the day it doesn't really matter, we all drink the same cheap beer in college :D

Whoever said that private schools don't breath life time contacts is wrong though, the vast vast majority of big business in Ireland is headed up by people who went to private schools, generations of business has been done through the 'old school tie.' Those middle aged men dont go to junior and senior cup games just for the standard of rugby on display Similarly look at where a lot of (Dublin anyway) politicians went to school.

All in all it makes no difference on a day to day to where you went to school. Where you grow up is what seems to matter statisically, if you can afford to go to school, any school, and are willing to work when you have to, you'll turn out more or less the same as anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

cheesedude wrote:
    You wouldn't really get in there though would you if you had a dublin accent?

There were a few girls i knew back in 3rd year or so who did. They left. I guess not even Turquoise Therapy managed to help them and they just packed it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,940 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kirving

there are interviews and waiting lists for most of these schools
    My school happens to be booked up till the year 2014 or sumthing stupid like that. Every year the places are gone within hours, people have camped outside the school overnight in an effort to be first in line. All you need to get into practically any private school is a bit of cash, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭kirving

they in general have superior facilities and in many cases teachers.
    If you saw the facilities and teachers my school has, you would see that you are totally wrong.
    I can also say that i know of many other schools in my area that have brilliant facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭conky_05

cheesedude wrote:
    More than likely Rockbrook Park School if what i have been told in the past is true...and either way, that school is the biggest joke. That I do know.

isnt it run by opus dei ?

yeh, pretty crap school

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

If you saw the facilities and teachers my school has, you would see that you are totally wrong.
    I can also say that i know of many other schools in my area that have brilliant facilities.

totally wrong, or wrong in your case? where is this area you speak of where public schools have better facilities that their much larger funded private counterpart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

apparently columbus is over 20 k a year -- i just wonder what kind of education you get for that - i myself went to both private and public during my teenage years - it was before the real money hit the country - and felt a bit of a fish water in private , too many knobs , daddy drives bla bla - but liked the rugby -- a school not exclusivly for the rich , but a mix of all social classes would be best - maybe similar to the American high schools.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Well, just to adress the point on snobery. I went to private schools all my life and i wont lie here but i am extremely well off but the way i was brought up was just like to treat everybody the same with respect etc. etc.

Now what i find is with all these schools is the real "snobs" that might discriminate(if thats the word appropriate here) against poorer people really arent that well off at all. There just putting up a fasacde to protect their so called "d4 lifestyle" which is fronted with Ralph Lauren shirts etc.

It really makes me sick when i'm in a club and you see the private school boy's trying to pass comments on other peoples clothes, like they were ****ing bitching amoungst themselves.

Anybody else find this to be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

I go to a public school and all my teachers are **** but at least I don't wear a pink fcuking t-shirt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

thebaz wrote:
    some of my cousins go to mount anville, they are from wealth, and even they feal very average there. Apparently kids get slagged for arriving in anything less than 03 BM's and Merc's. was at a party last night , there was a bunch of ex Rock and Clongowes , and they struck me as a fairly aloof snobby bunch

i go to mount anville and that isn't true at all!! granted, the younger years (1st-3rd) think they're "it" and waltz around the school like they own it, showing everyone how "great" they are, but with regard to the car thing, plenty of my friends don't drive mercs and bmw's!! in fact i don't think anyone in 6th year does!!

thebaz wrote:
    just curious are these the establishments where the serious wealthy in ireland get educated --- or is there more ?

not everyone in my school are "seriously wealthy" as you put it, more than half of them are from normal backgrounds that just want to give their kids the best education they can get

luckat wrote:
    There are a lot of schools that do this without being private schools - for instance what's that one in Cork that always cleans up in the Young Scientists?

my cousin goes to kinsale community school in cork and she won the young scientist this year and every single group from that school won their catagory!! her parents are wealthy and they chose to send her to a public school because of it's great reputation!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

The people in this country really do have an awfull habit of painting everyone with the same brush, for example : if you go to a privite school your automatically going to be posh, and if you live in the southside again you are going to come across as posh and snobby to those who dont.
    Over the past few pages everyone has been voicing there opinions well, however there still has been a touch of if you go to privite your posh and visa versa.

I went to a privite school, and im most definately not posh, my parents brought me up to value the meaning of money, and to not base my opinion of people on there circumstances. I hate people that judge people before they know them, i have met so many people that judge people on what school they go to or where they live, i find it rude and wrong. I also feel that people who are like this will actually loose out on life and be so closed book that they will lead an extremelly boring life.

One night i was out in town was in the Q bar to be exact and there was a guy mouthing off at the bar saying to everyone do you know who i am in a real la de da accent, he was getting a lot of reaction off the women around him for some god only knows reason, he was asking people what school they d been to and what they do. He was basically been a class A idiot. I actually couldnt believe i was seeing this. So in turn i walked up to him and calmly asked him what he was going on about, he was like im from the rock i dont need to speak to you, i quickly shut him up with a few words that he could not argue with and walked away. He was unreal.!!!
    This in my opinion is a prime example of why people have a bad opinion of the privite school education, its people like this who think there better that everyone else because they went to a privite school, when in fact NOBODY is better than anywho.

Thats my little rant over :p .. lol..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I only ever went to private schools (Loretto St Stephens Green for the most part). They do get unfair press - the catchment area for my school was very broad (from Kilmainham to Newbridge to Dalky to Malihide) so it was harder to make friends back home but it was a nice, if not very accademic school. There were people there from all backgrounds, a few were on scholarships but that was not publicised. I would still have friends from there. I would not choose to send my kids there but would not be totally set against it either. My brother went to Blackrock and Belvedere and they seemed to have a better ethos so I would send any boys that I had to those schools by choice. The Irish schools seem to be really good in general, my fiance went to an all Irish school and that would be another possibility, along with the German school.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Surrender

clearly someone got a inferior education...just remeber my friend, those 'fags in pink t-shirts' will be your bosses, ya wont get far the that sorta attitude

Clearly someone didn't. I can smell the *h*te on your nose mate. If you think it costs €13k a year for a kid to do well in his leavin think again. Most of the "Rock" boys I know are failing 2nd Arts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

private schools are great. you can kick someone to death and get away with it.

i went to a school that was built out of prefabs. great teachers and a great moral code was taught by them. not one of the 60 people i went to school with is unemployed. in fact, most of them have very good jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i know its not leaving cert, but thought this was more appropriate in this general area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

julep wrote:

:rolleyes:
    Here we go again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭d4gurl

this is seriously just a vicous circle....agree to disagree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 k8e

ye i agree.
    dis private public skool division is jst like the north,south side of dublin divison.
    i think its simple a silly excuse 2 dislike ppl u dnt know.
    wats wit all d hatin.lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

noooooooooooooooooooo, not this thread/debate again. let it die

• Advertisement

*Tripper* wrote:
    noooooooooooooooooooo, not this thread/debate again. let it die

i noticed this thread came alive today -- my point was not whether public or private is better -- just a name and shame em --- what are the most exclusive schools in Dublin -- kicked off by a night drinking/debate last march -- to show , my impartialiaty i attended 2 private and 1 public during my troubled teenage years .. somehow managed passing leaving -- to all those doing leaving -- good luck and remember if i could pass so can you :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Its incredible how misguided or down right ignorant(Cheesedude unsuprisingly)some of the views here are with regards to private schools.

Look I went to a CBS for 4 years-really enjoyed it,however the teachers nearly uniformly sucked.So I changed to a fee paying school(yes they exist outside of the pale) for the sake of my leaving.The first thing is that the facilities in my new school were far worse then in my old school.But in truth,besides having a bit more freedom and the teachers being a lot better,the schools weren't that different.All of society was represented in both the teachers and students,there was as many kids that got kicked out of their old schools there then there was 600 pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

As a matter of interest how much do private schools cost??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

whassupp2 wrote:
    Varies greatly from a few thousend to over 10 thousend per year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭whassupp2

wow. not worth it imho unless your lookin for serious points. I can understand students goin and their parents payin but cant understand parents who send their children against their will. I think students shud always choose their own school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭helles belles

julep wrote:

that is such a horrible and dismissive think to say.
    shame on you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

whassupp2 wrote:

fees for day pupils for mine is about €700/€800 a term i think, so around €2500 a year

but its more expensive for boarders obviously.

but a lot of others are waaaaaay more expensive

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Varies greatly from a few thousend to over 10 thousend per year
    10 grand ?
    which ones ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭abercrombie

thebaz wrote:
    10 grand ?
    which ones ?
    i know boarders in rathdown have to pay €12,000 a year

• Advertisement