Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

exclusive schools

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I'm in a CBS in new ross and it's fantastic. The school has it;s fair share of gob****es, but there are some great teachers. Saying that all private schools are good and all public schools are bad is about as smart as saying that all plants are green and all animals are brown. Every school is different, and you need to look at them each individually.

And of course, you can't get anything out unless you put something in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

A simple point to make here is that fee-based schools take pressure off the resources of the government. Although it is not the driving motivation behind people sending their children to fee-paying schools it seems to me to be fairer that the richer segment of society are voluntarily paying fees rather than absorbing government resources when they can well afford not to.

Yes I'm in a private school, it hasn't been mentioned yet but it's one of the bigger ones in south Dublin. It offers scholarships and downplays the snobbery and the whole "elite" thing - most parents are a teacher or civil servant of some description. As private schools go, it is definitely on the cheaper end of the scale, but is top of the league tables. Neither of those things influenced me going there - Geography did. There are 4 private schools within walking distance but, barring the Gaelscoil Colaiste Eoin, I'd have to travel about 4-5 miles to go to a public school. Simple really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭casanova_kid

In fairness, trhe whole schools system is bollocks, some public schools seem to get twice as much funding as others. Remember thouh, it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Ultimately,if you go to school and do not work,regardless of which type of school it is,your still going to fail badly.

This whole buying points/grades stuff in particular is bollocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

jimi_t wrote:
    A simple point to make here is that fee-based schools take pressure off the resources of the government. Although it is not the driving motivation behind people sending their children to fee-paying schools it seems to me to be fairer that the richer segment of society are voluntarily paying fees rather than absorbing government resources when they can well afford not to.

Not a fair point as the government gives as much money to private schools as it does to public schools.
    jimi_t wrote:
    Yes I'm in a private school, it hasn't been mentioned yet but it's one of the bigger ones in south Dublin. It offers scholarships and downplays the snobbery and the whole "elite" thing - most parents are a teacher or civil servant of some description. As private schools go, it is definitely on the cheaper end of the scale, but is top of the league tables. Neither of those things influenced me going there - Geography did. There are 4 private schools within walking distance but, barring the Gaelscoil Colaiste Eoin, I'd have to travel about 4-5 miles to go to a public school. Simple really

Coláiste Eoin ftw.

And what about Oatlands?? 10 minute walk from Col Eoin...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 emzxx

i believe school does affect the person you are. I won a scholarship to go a private school which would be one of the most exclusive in the county but my parents chose to send me to the local public school (there are a number of public schools in the area but this has worst reputation "pregnantation"). I have to say that i have learned from the "knackers". i have a much wider view of the world than my old best friend who went to the private school but i would be more driven than her and do better in school. its not as much the school you go to than the type of person you are that determines your results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,248 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Raphael wrote:
    I'm in a CBS in new ross and it's fantastic. The school has it;s fair share of gob****es, but there are some great teachers. Saying that all private schools are good and all public schools are bad is about as smart as saying that all plants are green and all animals are brown. Every school is different, and you need to look at them each individually.

And of course, you can't get anything out unless you put something in.

We played you in rugby during the year. Right few eejits on the team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Assmaster_Kronk

Orizio wrote:
    This whole buying points/grades stuff in particular is bollocks.

Right on. The simple fact is you get out of school what you put into it. Some people who talk about "buying points" seem to be under the impression that people in private schools just sit back, relax on their wads of cash...........and BAM!! 600 points in the bag:D this is of course a load of bollox. It's the people who complain about private schools having unfair advantages that probably sat back in public school and did s**t in the leaving, then complained after that they didn't have the oppurtunity to do well!!:rolleyes: If everyone from both sides of the spectrum spent as much time studying as they do complaining about each other we'd all get great old marks in the leaving:p well maybe not...........but you get the idea:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭DonaldDuck

Right on. The simple fact is you get out of school what you put into it. Some people who talk about "buying points" seem to be under the impression that people in private schools just sit back, relax on their wads of cash...........and BAM!! 600 points in the bag:D this is of course a load of bollox. It's the people who complain about private schools having unfair advantages that probably sat back in public school and did s**t in the leaving, then complained after that they didn't have the oppurtunity to do well!!:rolleyes: If everyone from both sides of the spectrum spent as much time studying as they do complaining about each other we'd all get great old marks in the leaving:p well maybe not...........but you get the idea:D
    The funny thing is when people from private schools criticise people going to the institute.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Private school breeds the wrong qualities if we want a fair and even society, thats my oponion.

qualities such as basic spelling?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Not a fair point as the government gives as much money to private schools as it does to public schools.

not true, i went to a family run fee paying school and they got piss all funding from the government, alot of the teachers were paid by the school not the government

DonaldDuck wrote:
    The funny thing is when people from private schools criticise people going to the institute.

i'm sayin it as someone who went to a public school, then private for a few years, and finally ended up in the institute(which was great):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,174 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

JC 2K3 wrote:

Well considering the government has stated that if all private schools turned public it would seriously adversely affect the education system I think it is a fair point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

not true, i went to a family run fee paying school and they got piss all funding from the government, alot of the teachers were paid by the school not the government

This is because the Gov will only provide and pay for 1 teacher for every 19 students (not sure if that's the exact figure but you get the idea). This is why private schools can be beneficial. They pay for extra teachers themselves so the class sizes are smaller. The smaller the class size, the easiest it is to learn and the better the student will do, generally. No one will argue with that.
    Private schools can also use the fees to create better facilities, this is most apparent with the larger ones. My school, for example, had excellent science labs, especially compared with the the other local non fee paying schools friends went to.

Pythia wrote:
    This is because the Gov will only provide and pay for 1 teacher for every 19 students (not sure if that's the exact figure but you get the idea). This is why private schools can be beneficial. They pay for extra teachers themselves so the class sizes are smaller. The smaller the class size, the easiest it is to learn and the better the student will do, generally. No one will argue with that.
    Private schools can also use the fees to create better facilities, this is most apparent with the larger ones. My school, for example, had excellent science labs, especially compared with the the other local non fee paying schools friends went to.

ah that makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

Well next year I will start my L.C. course and will be taught Ancient Greek even though I'll be the only one in the year doing it. So I am certianly glad I'm not in a public school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Pythia wrote:
    Just to clarify here, there's a difference between private and fee-paying schools - private implies totally private, i.e. no government funding (such as the Institute), whereas most fee-paying schools are subsidised just like the non-fee-paying schools by the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭fatal

6 pages already on such a stupid ****in topic??i go to a fee paying private school and to be honest,whether i go to a public or private one,as long as i get my 510+ points,i dont really give a **** about what school i go to.
    Why should you guys even care if within next week,the large majority of you are finished school FOREVER????
    Both types of schools have problems.Private ones are full of pussies that can talk the talk but can't walk the walk and,alot of public ones are full of knacks that don't even bother with life.The last thing that I want to do in 5 or 10 years time is to talk about how "great" the secondary school that I went to was, whether it was public or private.
    So stop laying into each other and trying to make yourselves feel superior to the next guy just because your dads have more money and could afford to send you to a fee paying school.Instead why not think about how fortunate you were and prepare yourselves for your remaining few exams?
    ^^my 2 cents on this bull**** thread

p.s before any of you guys that go to public schools start saying that ive labelled all public schools the same when saying that they are full of knacks,notice the way ive said ALOT,and have even made it bold;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Hugh Hefner

fatal wrote:
    So stop laying into each other and trying to make yourselves feel superior to the next guy just because your dads have more money and could afford to send you to a fee paying school.Instead why not think about how fortunate you were and prepare yourselves for your remaining few exams?
    Somebody was on scholarship. Lol. :)

Somebody was on scholarship. Lol. :)

HAHA somebody(me) doesn't need a ****in scholarship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 chasey_

thebaz wrote:
    where do you think the serious wealthy send there offspring to secondary school in Ireland :-
    apparently for girls its Rathdown and Mount Anville - and the boys :-
    St Gerards ; Clongowes ; St. Columbus and Blackrock college .
    was out last night , surrounded by a bunch of very posh and very moneyed and they all seemd to come from this Rock, Clongowes and Mount anville background, and this discussion was raised.

If you want to talk truly exclusive non niveau riche schools,youre talking the following.

Girls ;Rathdown,Kylemore Abbey,The Teresian School
    Boys;Clongowes,Gonzaga,Glenstal Abbey,Belvedere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,710 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

chasey_ wrote:
    If you want to talk truly exclusive non niveau riche schools,youre talking the following.

Girls ;Rathdown,Kylemore Abbey,The Teresian School
    Boys;Clongowes,Gonzaga,Glenstal Abbey,Belvedere

i myself went gonzaga for a couple of years, personally didn't like it , but along with belvo i believe it has more of a social mix , than some of the other mentioned .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Well next year I will start my L.C. course and will be taught Ancient Greek even though I'll be the only one in the year doing it. So I am certianly glad I'm not in a public school.
    I'm in a public school and I had classes on my own for Physics, Honours TD, Honours Maths and Honours English. Small schools are best, whether they're private or public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Raphael wrote:
    I'm in a public school and I had classes on my own for Physics, Honours TD, Honours Maths and Honours English. Small schools are best, whether they're private or public

Well said, small schools ftw.

I can't imagine going to a school where you don't know everyone in your year, or all your teachers personally.

Like qualities such as basic spelling?It's spelt "A lot"

DonaldDuck wrote:
    Like qualities such as basic spelling?It's spelt "A lot"

enough with the basic spelling critisism's already, its not helping anyones arguments.................

enough with the basic spelling critisism's already, its not helping anyones arguments.................
    He was a smart ass a few posts back,then was stupid enough to make a very simple spelling mistake himself

just a slip of the keyboard, happens to the best of us:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

these arguments are so stupid, they just turn into a slagging match about grammar because nobody can have a civilised debate about this. just give it a rest

• Advertisement

these arguments are so stupid, they just turn into a slagging match about grammar because nobody can have a civilised debate about this. just give it a rest
    co-sign...its really easy to change the ****in subject once you are losing an argument so give it a rest people

Advertisement