Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soundproofing upstairs laminate flooring

Options
  • 30-04-2006 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have T & G chipboard on the upstairs floor and it's pretty noisy when someone walks on it. Now that we're decorating up their I am wondering if anyone can advise how to eliminate noise from upstairs down to living/sleeping areas below.
    The insulation roll that comes with laminate flooring wouldn't be any use.
    Many thanks for your opinions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Macker1

shortlegs wrote:
    Hi folks,

I have T & G chipboard on the upstairs floor and it's pretty noisy when someone walks on it. Now that we're decorating up their I am wondering if anyone can advise how to eliminate noise from upstairs down to living/sleeping areas below.
    The insulation roll that comes with laminate flooring wouldn't be any use.
    Many thanks for your opinions

I know that when I put down laminate flooring upstairs I used a green coloured board that has soundproofing properties. It is available in B&Q. Not exactly cheap but better than the white foam that comes on a roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

The green boards they put under the floorboards are called "Softboards", a very "eco" product made from sawdust. It reduces the noise by 80%.

We are putting down a Larch T&G floor in Shankill at the moment.
    Instead of putting plywood or chipboard over the joists and putting the floor onto that we are putting the Larch directly onto 50mm T&G softboard.
    This will give us 50mm of soundproofing and it will give us the same insulation as 50mm rockwool.

They use 50mm latex impregnated softboard over the rafters to create a really warm roof in the majority of Swiss houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 colmoc

I sound-proofed my laminate floorboards with a stuff called Tuplex recently.

http://www.snt-group.net/tuplex/

Made a big difference. Costs about €100 for 30m2 I think. Got it in Mulvey's in Ranelagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Hawthorn_Pl

Larch directly onto 50mm T&G softboard.
    This will give us 50mm of soundproofing and it will give us the same insulation as 50mm rockwool.

Where can this T&G softboard be got and is it expensive? Are you packing any insulation between the joists before you put the T&G softboard down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 boxoid

try this.... well its what I'm using.

http://www.sheepwoolinsulation.ie/products.asp?id=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭shortlegs

Thanks for info. guys. Some interesting products there alright.
    I've also being talking to Homevalue Hardware Man and he's told me about "Boardwalk" but it's 27db that he has in stock (of course I'm in a hurry)
    I'll keep you posted as to what I decide and what the outcome is for anyone doing it later on.
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Where can this T&G softboard be got and is it expensive? Are you packing any insulation between the joists before you put the T&G softboard down?

We brought it in from Poland, but I may have some in stock. We actually used LWA between the joists as it is the ground floor. More info on my website

Nice products Boxoid and Colmac

Advertisement