Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doing TEFL in Ireland?

• 30-04-2006 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭

Has anyone done the course in Ireland and if so where did you do it. I know some places demand a degree as an entry requirement which I don't have, so preferably places that don't ask for that.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Ragazza

I to I based in Dungarvan,Waterford have a range of courses from 20 hour weekend to 80 hour online diploma, I am doing the 80 hour online one now, nearly finished and I have no degree. I did the weekend section in Dublin, but they run them all over the country all year round.
    I intend to teach in Italy, I don't need a degree. I might earn a bit more with one to start off with but once you have a bit of experience it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. (for Italy anyway, I think for other countries like Japan they may want one)

http://www.onlinetefl.com/

Also, great info on the forum on-

www.eslcafe.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭Skr4wny

How are you finding your course, is it difficult, is it possible to do it and work at the same time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭Rcuomo

hey, im doing an acels (advisory council of english language schools) course in the tefl institute on harrington road at the moment. Its a six week evening course - monday to friday 6.15 to 9.45 - it's pretty intensive but its flown in so far. Im in the last week now. In the acels course you get to teach foreign students once week for an hour class and you're evaluated on it. It's great practice and probably the best part of it. There's another version of the course called the International cert.(you dont need a degree) and this just qualifies you to teach abroad (with the acels you can teach in ireland - tho you need a degree to do it). Its 4 weeks and has alot of the same classes as the acels but no teaching practice. I think that course costs 540euro. The acels is 890euro.
    Im working full-time and doing the acels course which is kind of tough, but do-able. the material isn't exactly hard either, its just there's quite a bit to do so finding the time is hard. The international is slightly easier with less assignments in it so i'd say that quite manageable...

after this im going to china to teach for awhile and then when i come back here ill prob teach a little in dublin until i decide the next move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

Hi guys, sorry for dragging up an old post but I didn't want to start another TEFL thread. I'm interested in teaching English in China and I have a degree.

Is the best way to achieve this to do a recognised ACELS TEFL course in Ireland and then use a site like ESL Cafe (or how else would one find TEFL related job advertisements) to find a position or is it any harm to do those TEFL training + job placement packages? Bearing in mind that the package deals may not provide ACELS recognised training.

EDIT: also, most English teaching advertisemnets mention the need for 'a TEFL' certificate or 'TEFL training'. Is there a universally recognised TEFL certificate? Sorry for my wording but I can't figure out how the online-TEFL courses aren't any different from just paying for the piece of paper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Bump - would like to ditto Fidelis comments

Is there a recognised standard - and in practice what is the "minimum" needed for teaching say in China/Korea/Japan etc.?

Don't want to do the wrong course and end up with no job....

• Advertisement
Advertisement