Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

That was a beautiful post, you have me in tears here.
    I'm sure that Jerry had the best life she ever could have because she was with you. And I'll bet you meant as much to her as she did to you.
    Bonds like that can never be broken, you'll always always have her in your heart and you know that part of her is in you because she grew up with you. So make sure you live some of your life for her, and if you can, in time, give your & her love to another soul, keep the love moving and she would be so sad if you were to never share your life with another dog again.
    *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Caked Karen

My cat, Krusty died there a couple weeks ago...she was 9 but had a great life, we found her when she was tiny little ball and had cat flu and her eyes were closed for about 6 weeks due to it and we nursed her and minded her night and day till she came around

she enjoyed the best time getting away with everything and completely fussed over. she knew that well. she was a talkative one aswell and never passed without making some kinda noise

she always had a bad chest cause of the cat flu from when she was young and just in the space of a couple of days the fluid kept building up even after the vet had seen her (three times in 2 days) cause the though of not having her was too much.

In the end, we were bringing her to the vet to make the terrible decision but she died peacefully in her box just before we set of for the vet...i guess she didnt want us to make the decision...

god its terrible how much they become part of you...the place is just not the same without her. its just heart breaking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

My little hamster, Daisy, died last night.

I woke her up early yesterday to clean her cage and I noticed she seemed lethargic. She didn't seem unwell in any other way so I assumed she was just sleepy. Last night I took her out of her cage and noticed she was breathing very heavily and really lethargic. Less than an hour later she had passed away. She came out of her nest and went in under the bottom level in her cage and just lay down. I picked her up and she took a few very deep breaths and lay still.

I had her for nearly a year and I am devastated. She was the first pet I had that was mine and mine only and she was so tame. She lived with me during my last year in college and was so great to have whenever I was stressed. The general rule with Daisy was that if I was in the room, she was awake. She always wanted to be in on the action. Last night when I realised she wasn't well I was having a bit of a cry. Everytime I cried she'd pop her out of her nest and look at me until I stopped. That sums up the way Daisy was for me. People tend to think of hamsters as an independent creature who does it's own thing but Daisy was anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Daisy was a beauty... rest in peace little one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It was a tough decision but I brought him to the vet this evening - we found out he had kidney failure last week but the treatment didn't help to slow it down. I'm going to miss him so much - all of his stuff is in my room - his tree, his bowls, his favorite chair and his blankets at the end of my bed and his hair is embedded into practially all my clothes! :o. I keep expecting him to come charging up the stairs to me :( He was only 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭wexican

Our adorable little 4 year old Westie was put down today. She was a right little terrier who sadly was a little too vociferous when it came to human interaction. After having 7 pups only 5 months ago, she hasn't been herself.

My poor little sister has been in bits all day.

I'm even more gutted than I expected to be. It's the hardest thing I've done - carry her through the vets surgery after having the injection.

Her little lifeless body. I can't believe she's gone. No more barking when she hears a key in the door. No more violent wagging of the tail when she sees any of us. No more walks around the town, no more drives to the beach with her sniffing out the window.

We'll all miss her. My sister has been holding her collar and name tag all day, in floods of tears.

Slan a mhadrín..

(sorry, just had to type out something!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

That sucks Wexican, commiserations.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I couldn't bear the thought of carrying our guys body home so we decided to get him cremated and have the ashes back. They'll come back in a wooden box/ornament in the shape of a sleeping cat. I miss him terrible - he should be keeping me company on his chair beside me while I work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

wexican wrote: »
    Our adorable little 4 year old Westie was put down today. She was a right little terrier who sadly was a little too vociferous when it came to human interaction. After having 7 pups only 5 months ago, she hasn't been herself.

My poor little sister has been in bits all day.

I'm even more gutted than I expected to be. It's the hardest thing I've done - carry her through the vets surgery after having the injection.

Her little lifeless body. I can't believe she's gone. No more barking when she hears a key in the door. No more violent wagging of the tail when she sees any of us. No more walks around the town, no more drives to the beach with her sniffing out the window.

We'll all miss her. My sister has been holding her collar and name tag all day, in floods of tears.

Slan a mhadrín..

(sorry, just had to type out something!)

So sorry to hear that wexican, the bit in the middle about her paints a really nice picture.

KJ

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

i am in vets just about to get my dog pippin put to sleep. Absolutely beautiful little terrier - brown and black.

He is five years old and was always full of attitude. I always said if he was human - he would be the cockiest lad, full of attitude.

The last 3/4 months he has been getting very headstrong. But he bit a friend of ours this morning and drew blood. Someone he knows well.

I have no choice but to put him down. I am heartbroken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    i am in vets just about to get my dog pippin put to sleep. Absolutely beautiful little terrier - brown and black.

He is five years old and was always full of attitude. I always said if he was human - he would be the cockiest lad, full of attitude.

The last 3/4 months he has been getting very headstrong. But he bit a friend of ours this morning and drew blood. Someone he knows well.

Why didn't you get a muzzle for him? Loads of dogs down my way have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

junkyard wrote: »
    Why didn't you get a muzzle for him? Loads of dogs down my way have them.

He is a little terrier in a back garden with 2 kids. A muzzle wouldn't have worked at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

6695_121899950189_661120189_3411652_2012258_n.jpg

His name was Bert. Yesterday he was put to sleep. I'm a 26 year old man and I'm heartbroken. Even if he lived for another 100 years, he was still too young to die. I hope he realises how much I miss him. If he was still here he'd be licking my tears. Love ya buddy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

My 13 year old Golden Retriever had to be put to sleep yesterday.
    His hind legs had gradually become stiff which made it difficult for him to push off when lying down or to walk very far. They gave out entirely the night before last so an appointment was made with the vet.
    He said his hips had gone and his breathing was becoming laboured because his heart was beginning to fail. He was in great form yesterday despite it, tail doing 90 and rolling over wanting to play. But the best for the dog was to ease his pain.
    Having survived being hit by a van when he was younger and living longer than most purebred Retreivers he had a great long life. Will miss him loads.

3724386811_cef0355aca.jpg

More

I'm sorry for your loss. Maybe himself and my dog will be best friends in doggy heaven ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

My 13 year old Golden Retriever had to be put to sleep yesterday.
    What a beautiful dog - and another 'Sam'.:)
    He got a second chance with you and looks like he landed on his feet too.
    Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users, Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dogs & Cats

It has been 3 months since I had the 3rd of my 4 pets put to sleep, I seem to have lost one each year, (we aquired 3 or them in the same year and the other 2 years after) Page 17 Sally, 20th April. I Still feel the loss and miss my pets, but it is getting easier. I cannot get another dog as circumstances have changed and we no longer have somone in the house during the day. As soon as this changes and I stop working I will get another dog or dogs.
    All people on this site have a common bond, that is that we have loved and have received love from a creature that we have taken into our lives. They depend on us to make the correct decissions this includes protecting them from pain.
    You did the kindest thing for you friend, I know that it is hard when the animal is in pain, and this is compounded by the fact that they still wag the tail. But you have done the correct and kindest thing you could for your companion and the pain will ease in time.

• Registered Users, Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Dogs & Cats

Queen-Mise wrote: »

Queen-Mise there was nothing else you could do, this doesn't make it any easier but part of dog ownership is being responsible. I have been in the same position myself when a loved pet bit one of my young children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭lgoring21

my grandad who has sinced passed away bred canaries and gave me one about 14 years ago...a couple of months ago he got really poorly and fell over in the cage...i took him out and he died in my hand :(

R.I.P Eric x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

my dog shelley that ive had since i was 5 passed away few months ago, she had to be put down. i still havnt gotten over it yet. she was very sick, and shes better off now.

R.I.P SHELLEY

myself and my boyfriends hamster died during the night, she got her legs caught in the cage bars few days ago until my boyfriend helped her out, she wasnt moving around too much after that. we assumed she broke her legs, wasnt much we could do for her. poor thing.

R.I.P TITTSIE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

:( My poor 10 1/2 year old red boxer Rodge had to be put to sleep this morning! Absolutely gutting. He'd starting having seizures in the past 6 months & took a turn for the worse Tuesday! Saddest thing ever as the last week he'd being as bright eyed & bushy tailed as he had being since February after starting on Sodium Bromide on top of the Phenobarbitol! It seemed to have balanced his fits,atleast he had 1 last good week. He'll be missed big time especially by his bro Robbie! RIP buddy :(
    93318374a316142412b325377180l.jpg

93318374a316142833b336296787l.jpg

93318374a316141913b104949186l.jpg
    PhotoAlbumBig.jsp?MemberId=93318374&PhotoId=316142833&PhotoAlbumId=245617376

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Morning

posting a picure of my sisters poor dog "Buddy" who had to be put to sleep
    last friday morning, he was only four and had a ruptured disc in his back....

Rip Buddy you will be sadly missed :(

016.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

minxie wrote: »
    Morning

posting a picture of my sisters poor dog "Buddy" who had to be put to sleep
    last friday morning, he was only four and had a ruptured disc in his back....

Rip Buddy you will be sadly missed :(

That's very sad hun, I'm really sorry to hear that, and he was so young. And gorgeous! Hopefully he's having a great time where he's gone now.

Burkatron wrote: »
    :( My poor 10 1/2 year old red boxer Rodge had to be put to sleep this morning!

Absolutely beautiful animal and looks really healthy. Sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

these post make me so sad i feel for all, , i have lost four dogs over the years two staffies and a bully,it may help to know that your dog was very lucky to have you as a owner and to have all that love,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Here is picture of my beloved Daisy who pasted away almost three years ago now. I had her for 12 years before a stroke took her from us. I got her for Christmas when I was 14. We were supposed to buy her pup but her uncaring first owner breed her when she was just 9 months old, when she wouldn't mate they sedated her so she couldn't resist. She had one pup which died at a week old as she didn't know how to look after him, the breeder didn't want her anymore so my Dad bought her for me as my Christmas present and for the next 12 years she lived as my shadow. Miss ye so much Daze!!!

25.12.1993 - 25.08.2006
    R.I.P.

Daisy.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭MacBaldy

we had a lab and a golden retriever, sadly the golden retriever past away 2 months ago, old age not is pain which was nice, an my slob of a lab passed away 4 years ago, RIP, sorry no pic yet as dont have them on computer,

house feels so empty as they use to sleep in the house as part of the family,

and now we have decide to get another golden retriever while me an my gf an gettin a bichon frise, nothing can replace my other two, life goes on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭MacBaldy

The day you laid me down to sleep
    you prayed to the Lord; my soul to keep
    I know you had to send me on my way
    but you sent me to a new; better; and much brighter day
    You sent me home; to heaven above
    where I’m cradled in God’s arms; covered with His love
    I understand what you did; you did out of love
    and I’ll return that love; from my new home above
    My sickness is gone; and I’m free here to roam
    I run and play in the meadows; here in my new home
    We play here by the Bridge; from morning to night
    there is no rain here; just warm sunlight
    I know you all miss me; I miss you all too
    but I’ll always be with you; whatever you do
    Please wipe the tears; from your weeping eyes
    by remembering the good times; from days gone by
    When you look out; into the dark of night
    I’ll be that bright star; your guiding light
    We’ll meet again at the Bridge one day
    when we’ll walk in the light; together to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

My Fav Dog Poem, always brings a tear to my eye.

The Power Of The Dog
    by Rudyard Kipling

There is sorrow enough in the natural way
    From men and women to fill our day;
    And when we are certain of sorrow in store,
    Why do we always arrange for more?
    Brothers and Sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.

Buy a pup and your money will buy
    Love unflinching that cannot lie--
    Perfect passion and worship fed
    By a kick in the ribs or a pat on the head.
    Nevertheless it is hardly fair
    To risk your heart for a dog to tear.

When the fourteen years which Nature permits
    Are closing in asthma, or tumour, or fits,
    And the vet's unspoken prescription runs
    To lethal chambers or loaded guns,
    Then you will find--it's your own affair--
    But...you've given your heart for a dog to tear.

When the body that lived at your single will,
    With its whimper of welcome, is stilled (how still!);
    When the spirit that answered your every mood
    Is gone--wherever it goes--for good,
    You will discover how much you care,
    And will give your heart for the dog to tear.

We've sorrow enough in the natural way,
    When it comes to burying Christian clay.
    Our loves are not given, but only lent,
    At compound interest of cent per cent.
    Though it is not always the case, I believe,
    That the longer we've kept 'em, the more do we grieve:
    For, when debts are payable, right or wrong,
    A short-time loan is as bad as a long--
    So why in Heaven (before we are there)
    Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I was meaning to post a picture of our dog Toby for a long time but I found it too sad. He had to be put to sleep a couple of years ago, sometimes, like today something out of the blue will remind me of him and it's lovely to have those memories to make you smile, so here is Toby:)
    Toby.jpg?t=1249492961

Advertisement