Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Not a pet as such;
    Yesterday I was hanging out the washing when I noticed a cat on the roof of my shed. I could also hear crying and after a bit of investigating discovered roofcat had had kittens behind my shed. One was clearly dead but one was alive and feeding so I built them a shelter out of election posters and left out food and water for the mammy.

When I got up this morning mammy was waiting at my door to be fed, and when I went down the back I saw the other kitten dead. :(

I put on gloves and took the two out to bury them, but I noticed one wasn't as stiff as the other. After removing a slug from its mouth, and various other insects, I took it inside and warmed it up and it started to move slightly. I rush it to the vets but they just rang me there to say it passed away an hour ago. I am absolutely gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Kablamo, you have a good heart, I'm sorry it wasn't rewarded this time. But you did your best. Poor cats...so few of them are looked after properly and poor little kittens are then brought into the world with not much hope of survival. But you gave the little one its best shot. Fair play to you.

Vedwards, I am very sorry to read your post. I am fond of the dog's name Rex already as it is the name of my brother's dog. How awful for you to have bring your healthy dog to be put down. A very difficult decision for you to make and it must hurt like hell. The pain is very difficult but without this pain, you would not have all the wonderful times and happy memories of your pal. The pain is because he meant so much to you and he would be glad that he did. He will be watching over you now and we all need little guardian angels from time to time.

RIP Rex.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Edgedinblue

After reading through the last 10 or so pages, very much teary eyed right now. Im very sorry to all who have posted here. i lost my dog shelley last year still havnt coped with it too well. reading all the stories here was so nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Bookworm85

This is Dillon, my lab X Shepherd.

He is gone nearly 5 years and I think about him every day. He was my best friend for nearly 14 years and I'll never find another dog like him. He always slept outside my bedroom door and went everywhere with me. He was the first 'person' I saw in the morning, and the last 'person' I talked to before I went to sleep.

Sleep tight big fella, x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 leonie xxx

I had a blak and white springer called venus had her from pup. Rat poison was set round the houses of neighbours and curious little venus got some which killed her with alot of suffering she was only 9months old never forget her 10years still think bout her. R.i.p wee woman.xxx

Another black and white springer had called Jess cam when she was about 4, she was a hunting dog but very badly trearted so dad decided to buy her she came to us terrified. Sat at the door barking at every1 and they were so afraid of her but realy jess was so scared she was widdling herself trying to hide, after a month she came round and was a brilliant pet aswell as gundog, her spoiltness never took away from her work. Eventually she got breast cancer had an op of a 50/50 chance but she was a fighter and pulled throug. Few months later cancer came back and was to far gone by that stage so me and jess spent the rest of our days reminisin sobbing and laughing just the 2of us rang in the new year for 07.she was 12 at this stage.She passed away in my arms soon after.:(I didnt just lose a dog i lost my best friend and still grieving. Love u and miss you sososo much Jessie girl. u'll never be forgotton baby. xxxx

R.i.p Jess 7/1/07

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭vedwards

I am touched to read so many other stories from owners who are as grieved by the loss of their pets (best friends) as I am which affords me much solace. I thought my grieving is irrational and after two weeks I was sure that I had a problem but now I find comfort in knowing that I'm not alone. Last night I borrowed a dog to take on my walk but as we neared the veterinary clinic which is on my route where I brought Rex on that horrible evening. He stopped dead and refused to go any further. It's as if he knew what I had done to Rex and didn't trust me. I brought him back and set out on my five mile walk which Rex loved and never tired of. He would have walked to Australia with me if I asked. I cried most of the way round battling with my conscience as to was it the right decision to have him put down because he was a snapper. Did I consider EVERY option, perhaps I should have researched the cause of his 'dark' side, should I have Googled it as I tend to do now about most daily decisions to get all point of view, had I left some stone unturned, as tears rolled down my checks I felt embarrassed as cars flew by. Had I listened to ill-advise from the 'what if' he bit of child's face? As I past the flyover, for a fleeting moment a cold numb surrealism came over me as I forced my legs to keep walking forward. When I got home I pulled myself together and made some tea and sat outside - alone - when a bird flew within a couple of yards of where I sat and landed on the grass. There it sat, nestled in the grass, with no visible signs of injury. I went in and got some bread and water and moved right up to it, encouraging it to partake. As its dark eyes flicked in my direction I stroked its tiny head. It never flinched. I sat for a while to see what reaction or interaction would occur. As the evening mist came in from the sea the temperature was dropping as the bird song around dimmed into the late evening. It was getting late and I feared that it would fall prey to the neighbour’s cat. I attempted to lift it gently into the warmth of my hands but like the Phoenix it had a new least of life and flew away. It's as if it just wanted to give me some distraction from my guilt and loss.
    To all those who still feel the grief of loss following the demise of their beloved pet I empathise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

She came into our lives just over a year ago and, she touch our hearts in an unbelieveable way.

Sweet Dreams Molly Dog, there will be no more pain anymore. xxxxx

23gzbxk.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭DEEMAR

Vedwards - I feel so sorry for your pain at the loss of your lovely dog.With pain comes that awful doubt 'did I do the right thing?" but be assured that you DID do the right thing and I admire your great courage in doing so. The bottom line is you could have put a lot of time trying to re-train him, but with an older dog it may not have been successful, and in the meantime any sort of event may have happened, i.e. he could have badly bitten some child. Your action was one of maturity and common sense, and I hope you will see that some day. In the meantime, do look after yourself. I know you think you can never replace him, but my advice would be that - in time - you should get yourself another dog to look after and take for walks. You sound like a very good dog owner and would give some little fella a good home. Take care and don't forget - look after yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Zoundz

Bongo Fury Sun Zoom Spark:

I have a feeling we're heading for another bad patch right now... :*( we just found our beloved gentle rex bear, Sparkle, dead. This had been coming for a while at least, so I had prepared myself. He was starting to look very ropey, and a couple of his siblings have died recently too - though this litter fared far better than their mother's litter ever did, which I am grateful for.

Sparkle was magic! For a while he was our only rex, and everyone loved him. He had incredibly soft fur, and was so very very gentle with people. He would sit for hours to cuddle, and even people who didn't much like rats, or who were a bit nervous of them, thought he was wonderful. Sadly, he never had any babies for us, not for want of trying, he just was either infertile or the does didn't like him very much! :(

I'll miss him so much, as we were close, I gave him extra cuddles every day, because he was one of those rats that always wanted to be with us, and have snuggles. He loved his food too though... and did get rather large in his older age. Then, recently, he lost mosto f his fur, and weight, and became a dreadful looking, frail old man :( He was still fine, just doddery and scruffy, and we knew we wouldn't have too long with him :(

Run free you lovely little man, go and find your brothers, Arfur, Banhammer and T, sisters Wanda and Cirrus, your mum Kirsch, your dad Tris, and all the cagemates you've loved and lost :*(

sparkle01.jpg

Sparkle.jpg

sparkle03.jpg

And here's the (very silly ;D) song my silly old boy was named after :*)
    Sun Zoom Spark - Captain Beefheart:
    Nothing makes it move
    From the bottom to the top
    Does it start at the bottom?
    Or does it start at the top

Magnet draw day from dark
    Sun zoom spark
    Sun zoom spark

Now which hand's got it?
    Bottom, or the top?
    Neither hand's got it
    It's just got it
    Hope it don't stop

Sun zoom spark
    Sun zoom spark

Think you can uh hold it
    Once it start
    I don't care who ya are or what
    size ya are
    I'm gonna magnetize ya

Sun zoom spark
    Sun zoom spark

Ohh, don't let it get away
    I'm gonna zip up my guitar
    'n then when I've gone too far
    I'm gonna zip down my guitar

Sun zoom spark
    Sun zoom spark

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

We lost this poor guy just over 2 years ago now. I still seriously miss the little guy.

We got him when he was just a few weeks old, I was only 10yo at the time myself, and he made it to the ripe old age of 13 and was only a month off his 14th birthday when he had to be put to sleep.

I hope we gave him as happy a life as he gave us over the years.

Charlie.
    5/5/1994 - 5/4/2008.

Charlie9.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Always sad to see friends go, but they don't go too far away from us and are always in our hearts.

Two little cutie-pies, RIP Sparkle and Charlie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cucoigcrice

Hi folks really sorry all your loses!! I lot my guinea pig fudge on saturday. i went into the shed and lifted podge another g.p ooutside to their run, i then came back in for fudge and noticed he as very quite and quite floppy. As i work in vets i raced to car and drove down asap. Got into work and put him on oxygen, tryin to figure out wat was wrong i ensured he was kept warm and i was with him. Unfortunately he didnt make it i am sorry to say. I feel very sorry for podge because she is now on here own but i have moved her run closer to the rabbits for a little company.

work pic 375.JPG

P.S Fudge is the little brown fella :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

wayne0308 wrote: »
    We lost this poor guy just over 2 years ago now. I still seriously miss the little guy.

We got him when he was just a few weeks old, I was only 10yo at the time myself, and he made it to the ripe old age of 13 and was only a month off his 14th birthday when he had to be put to sleep.

I hope we gave him as happy a life as he gave us over the years.

Charlie.
    5/5/1994 - 5/4/2008.

Charlie9.jpg

aww

we had a king charles who passed away also in new years night, poor guy. best dog we ever had.

my mate in australia said he was one of a kind, he was right. He was also 13 years old around. Cant believe it still.

We have no other pet since and dont think we will get one.

Max, 1997- 2009

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Feargal as Luimneach

Zoundz wrote: »
    Bongo Fury Sun Zoom Spark:

I have a feeling we're heading for another bad patch right now... :*( we just found our beloved gentle rex bear, Sparkle, dead. This had been coming for a while at least, so I had prepared myself. He was starting to look very ropey, and a couple of his siblings have died recently too - though this litter fared far better than their mother's litter ever did, which I am grateful for.

Sparkle was magic! For a while he was our only rex, and everyone loved him. He had incredibly soft fur, and was so very very gentle with people. He would sit for hours to cuddle, and even people who didn't much like rats, or who were a bit nervous of them, thought he was wonderful. Sadly, he never had any babies for us, not for want of trying, he just was either infertile or the does didn't like him very much! :(

I'll miss him so much, as we were close, I gave him extra cuddles every day, because he was one of those rats that always wanted to be with us, and have snuggles. He loved his food too though... and did get rather large in his older age. Then, recently, he lost mosto f his fur, and weight, and became a dreadful looking, frail old man :( He was still fine, just doddery and scruffy, and we knew we wouldn't have too long with him :(

Run free you lovely little man, go and find your brothers, Arfur, Banhammer and T, sisters Wanda and Cirrus, your mum Kirsch, your dad Tris, and all the cagemates you've loved and lost :*(

sparkle01.jpg

Sparkle.jpg

sparkle03.jpg

And here's the (very silly ;D) song my silly old boy was named after :*)

xx
    Was a cool looking rat, looks like he had chinchilla like fur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

4.jpg

My kitten Sakura passed away two days ago. She got hit by a car. It's really sad, she was only 8 months. It's been years since any of my cats got hit by cars, so now I'm kinda unsure if I should get more kittens.

Everyone is gonna miss her, she was the nicest kitten we'd had but completely crazy, and very very loud! Always meowing, attacking me and biting me! But very cuddly and sweet too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

lovely Cat. If you can give a cat a good home there's no reason why you shouldn't have another one. If he/ she can make you happy and you can make it happy even for a temporary period well then it's worth your while getting one :)

snorlax wrote: »
    lovely Cat. If you can give a cat a good home there's no reason why you shouldn't have another one. If he/ she can make you happy and you can make it happy even for a temporary period well then it's worth your while getting one :)

Yeah I think I will . . . I mean I have four other cats aged 3, 6, 7 and 10 and they've all survived and don't go near the road. There are fields behind the house so they tend to go that way instead. In my old house in the middle of the country cats got knocked down often because people drove too fast, but here they go slowly.

And there are loads of kittens looking for homes, so I'll probably get a couple in a few weeks maybe. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Just a quick post on behalf of my sisters 16 year old JRT Lady who will be going to the Rainbow Bridge on Saturday. She as an inoperable prolapse for the past year which has begun to get worse recently. My sister is giving her 3 kids a couple of days to say goodbye to Lady as they have all been born and raised around her, she has always been there with them, playing with them, sneaking pieces of their sandwiches while my sister wasn't looking etc.:) My brother is bringing her to the vet as my sister can't bear to do it herself. Lady you've been a good dog and you will be missed by our entire family, God speed x

We lost a litter of 3 guinea pigs today. :( The mother wasn't due for another week or so, one baby wasn't fully formed, one was but was dead and there was one alive but very small and gasping for breath (the mother didn't clean that one up but I cleared the airway and tried to save it) and it died soon. At least the mom seems ok anyway, which is the most important thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xBadWolfx

R.I.P Billy, the most friendlyiest cat in the entire universe, who sadly had to be put down because of Renal Failure.
    He lived for 17 years, which is older than myself I must add.
    It absolutely tore me in half when I had to make the decision to put my best friend, who used to guard me when I slept when I was a baby, to sleep last November.
    You will never ever never ever be forgotten my friend.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Also R.I.P Pluto, Bently and Toffee
    All Horses I never actually owned, but when you know them that long and put so much time into them, you're mind calls them your own.
    All died from hunting accidents - (Evil, Evil owner XO )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

To Heidi "Bear" Keegan. Had to put her to sleep today just shy of her 16th birthday. Her arthritis and a mystery stomach condition got the better of her. It is the first time I have ever had to put an animal to sleep, and all I can say is that I lost mt best friend today. I am devastated and I will forever treasure the joy she gave me and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

She looks very quiet and content there. Sorry for your loss :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Little Miss Lady

I am devastated our family dog Renard passed away Wednesday night..
    He was 13 and a half and had a bad heart the last three years
    He died in my mother's arms..
    He was part of our family, a beautiful natured, soft, caring, friendly dog that no dog will ever come close to :'(
    When he saw you crying he'd pop his nose in your face and lick the tears away.. He loved getting his coat groomed and nudging his nose under my arm when he needed a drink..
    I'm heartbroken..
    R.I.P Ren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 ChallengerDeep

3086593221a3238016642b590446560l.jpg

This is Taz, he died a good few years ago but he was such a lovely old dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

This is Smokie....a cat I inherited to "mind" for 3 months, but ended up with her for 9 years...even though I wasn't really a cat person (we always had dogs in my family) i grew very attached to her.

121184.jpg

Unfortunately, after a short illness, she passed away this morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

This is Smooshy, she got killed by a car today...

It seems like a mean thing to say, but out of all the cats we own she was one of the nicest, If any of my family(or me) would go walking in our field she would follow them and then wait to be carried back down again.

I remember the first night when my mum heard her outside at 4am and asked me to look after her, she was only a tiny kitten. We only had her nine months :(

83E5701CD10947EA9403921E937F259A-800.jpg

16EA4013028E4381A671D7C1E968219E-800.jpg

AB57B6473F4D4A56B5FAFEEF7239A963-800.jpg

R.I.P Smooshy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Ricky91t wrote: »
    AB57B6473F4D4A56B5FAFEEF7239A963-800.jpg
    R.I.P Smooshy

I like this Pic. Two at play in the snow. Sorry for your loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

My poor little cat got killed by a car last night.

Someone driving too fast into our cul de sac I think. She never went any distance from the house and was normally inside - my OH found her around the corner this morning.

We got her as a present when we moved in, and had her almost 2 years.

My heart is broken...I didn't realise I could cry this much. I miss her so much. She was my little cat and I loved her.

Edit: I want to add to this post I put here earlier - I was too upset to say anything else.

She did have a name but I don't want to put it here. We got her when she was just tiny, soon after we moved into our first house, after I had wanted a cat for years. She was full of personality - disagreed with everyone, but she loved us. I didn't care how anyone else felt about her, they never had her hop into bed with them in the morning, or curl up on their laps while we watched TV. She followed us all around the house and garden all the time, she always wanted to be near us if we were around. She came out to welcome us at the front door every evening, whether inside or out. She used to sit on the windowsill in our room, watching the world go by for hours, from 2 floors up, it was her favourite spot.

We buried her in the garden this evening. I miss her so much...I keep expecting her to come down the stairs meowing at me, or be outside the back door, stretching up on her back paws, waiting to be let in. I walk into our room and expect to see her curled up in little ball in the middle of our bed, or sitting on the windowsill looking out.

I wish I was able to stop crying, but I just can't seem to. I know we only had her 2 years, but we both loved her and I wish more than anything I could have her back. I'm just heartbroken. Does this ever get any easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

dan_d wrote: »
    My poor little cat got killed by a car last night.

Someone driving too fast into our cul de sac I think. She never went any distance from the house and was normally inside - my OH found her around the corner this morning.

We got her as a present when we moved in, and had her almost 2 years.

My heart is broken...I didn't realise I could cry this much. I miss her so much. She was my little cat and I loved her.

Edit: I want to add to this post I put here earlier - I was too upset to say anything else.

She did have a name but I don't want to put it here. We got her when she was just tiny, soon after we moved into our first house, after I had wanted a cat for years. She was full of personality - disagreed with everyone, but she loved us. I didn't care how anyone else felt about her, they never had her hop into bed with them in the morning, or curl up on their laps while we watched TV. She followed us all around the house and garden all the time, she always wanted to be near us if we were around. She came out to welcome us at the front door every evening, whether inside or out. She used to sit on the windowsill in our room, watching the world go by for hours, from 2 floors up, it was her favourite spot.

We buried her in the garden this evening. I miss her so much...I keep expecting her to come down the stairs meowing at me, or be outside the back door, stretching up on her back paws, waiting to be let in. I walk into our room and expect to see her curled up in little ball in the middle of our bed, or sitting on the windowsill looking out.

I wish I was able to stop crying, but I just can't seem to. I know we only had her 2 years, but we both loved her and I wish more than anything I could have her back. I'm just heartbroken. Does this ever get any easier?

This may sound heartless, but yes it does. Where I live isn't an ideal place for pets( but we love them! And couldn't live without them) on a fast 'blind' corner, also no motorists stick to the speed limits so it's not the best thing. A lot of our pets have got killed on the road, and although it's a shock and sad I've since grown to know there is nothing we can do to prevent it.

When we get a kitten we raise them at the back of the house and make them go to the toilet out there( there are no roads for miles behind our house) we only let them out the back door. Sadly this still hasn't helped, they always want to go across the road.

It seems like a waste of life, but we give them the best quality life possible and if they do get killed at least we know they've had the best life possible.

That's all I can say really, If your cat was happy just think of the happier times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Ricky91t, that's the best possible thing you could say to me.

I know I'm drooping around the forum a bit here, but it's hit me very hard. To be honest, where we live is so quiet, there's very little traffic. It is one of the safest places you can have a cat - and there are many of them. I'm hoping against hope that it was just a freak accident, that she ran out and got tipped by something.

She had the happiest life a cat could have - she had all her little toys and her bed, and she spent most of her days curled up on our bed, or trotting around the house after us while we chatted to her. She loved DIY (supervising!) and she liked going on little trips in the car. All our friends knew her, and she was the centre of our lives when we were at home in the house with her.She used to play in the back garden, and that's where she hung out, because when we initially started to let her out, that's where she was all the time. She was totally spoiled but I didn't mind, because she was ours.

thanks Ricky91t, you've made me feel a bit better.

Advertisement