Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Noffles wrote: »
    Sadly another one of our cats has gone missing since Saturday... we're presuing the worst as she never goes far and ALWAYS comes home... RIP Sookie...

Oh dear, the not knowing is very very hard.

I hope sookie makes a healthy reappearance, but if not... I'm sorry for the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ali Babba wrote: »
    That's a great last picture, looks like he's walking off into the sunset. RIP Lucky.
    I know i choked up a bit at that last pic. Sorry W.Shakesbear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Profiler wrote: »
    Oh dear, the not knowing is very very hard.

I hope sookie makes a healthy reappearance, but if not... I'm sorry for the loss.

Amazingly the cat turned up late last night 2 days after diappearing, very hungry and a bit dirty but otherwise fine... I'll post no more as this is the wrong thread... for living animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,494 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My parent's dog died today :(

King Charles, went into the vet for surgery on a dodgy pallet that was severely restricting her breathing and in the end nothing could be done. A bit strange, wasn't a bother on her last time I was home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Georgie - died today aged 5

some photos of her this summer getting her fav. treat of Radish.

116685.jpg

116686.jpg

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

This is Breezer. She died in April 2008 right in front of my eyes. Scariest moment I have had seeing as it was just me in the house when she died. She couldn't breath and started thrashing about the place before stopping in her tracks. *shudder at the thought*
    She was a class cat though. Cool as a breeze but didn't like loud noises or quick jerky movements. And she LOVED the camera. She was picked as the face for a flyer for an exhibition in Galway so her face was all over the city and county! :D

n737165306_4469874_4448.jpg

Smirnoff and Breezer got on like a house on fire!

46639_10150262556060307_737165306_14329642_4873961_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Sorry for all your losses guys. It's hard to explain to those who don't have pets how much they can break your heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Pheobe, Passed away this week, She had a womb infection ( I think ) and sadly when the vet completed the operation, she passed away, She was suffering with the infection so surgery was the best option to help her recover but sadly it just wasn't meant to be. :(

I can't explain how much I'll miss her, I know neighbors and the post man won't as she could get quite viscous towards intruders, but it did show how protective she was of me and my family.

This was her January 2008
    4D5029C0247D4C788177C4E5F8134F8A-800.jpg
    And these more recently:
    C534A20336EB4B5293FFA58C67092784-800.jpg

2829FE78C906430EA67D3C8D64A63496-800.jpg
    And her 4 months ago relaxing on a sunny day.
    F44BDFFC8E46422F8E2781A2561C5A25-800.jpg

R.I.P Pheobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

:(

@ck it,just writing this makes me :(
    i'll say no more..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Amazingly the cat turned up late last night 2 days after diappearing, very hungry and a bit dirty but otherwise fine... I'll post no more as this is the wrong thread... for living animals.

Good news
    That happens my Mam's cat every so often, we reckon he finds a cosy spot in a neighbours shed and gets locked in ! :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭36Degrees

This is Buster.. died May 2009, got hit by a car :(
    He was so full of life and such a little attention seeker.. whenever we took him for walks he used to approach random strangers wanting to be petted :p
    He also loved being in the house.. whenever we tried to put him out he would play dead in the hopes that we'd just leave him be.. no one ever taught him to do this, he just came up with it himself! He was a little legend, I miss him so much :(

DSCF0007-1.JPG

36Degrees wrote: »
    He also loved being in the house.. whenever we tried to put him out he would play dead in the hopes that we'd just leave him be.. no one ever taught him to do this, he just came up with it himself!

Full of life and clearly full of character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

I apologise for what I know is going to turn into a novel. This is my boy, Teddy. 29/09/'10, RIP.
    teddym.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/934/babybath.jpg

babycuddle.jpg

babykiss.jpg

tedkitty.jpg

tedbed.jpg

tedhat.jpg

tedshow.jpg

We recused teddy from the pound in october 2006. I went in with my mother, and all these dogs were all running about, barking, but there he was. Just so excited to see somebody. He was so friendly. We came back two days later, and decided to take him. He never made strange, but was so friendly, jumping all over. We took him home, and just fell in love with him.

For some reason, he attached himself to me. He learned the word kiss, and would not kiss anybody else. "Gimme kiss?" Was met with this big black nose jammed right into my face, along with a gignormous lick. If he was feeling particularlly generous, hed lick frantically. Should anybody else ask him for a kiss, hed give them his paw or more often than not, lift their arm up with his head. But no kisses for anyone that wasn't me.

Sitting watching television, he'd sit next to me, and should my arm be in the way, he'd move my entire arm with his head, so that you had no choice but to have your arm around him.

One vivid memory I have is of laying out in the garden, during the summer, laying on my tummy, crying my eyes out, and him hitting me with his head, trying to turn me over. When I turned over for him, he just licked my face. It really cheered me up, and he just sat there, while I clung onto him.

Before I got pregnant, I broke my leg. I was feeling very sorry for myself as I couldn't move around, so I stayed in bed. I had moved downstairs as I couldnt use the stairs.
    As soon as my dad would go to bed, he'd beat it on to my room, get in on top of me in the bed and lay as close as he could to me. All was well and good until he would hear my dad getting up in the morning. By the time my father would be down the stairs, Ted would be back in his own bed, panned out, pretending to be asleep. This one morning I was playing music on my laptop, and he never heard my dad get up, and he got caught lol. <3

A couple of months later I went to America for 2 months. My dad told me that every single day, without fail, he would beat it on up to my bedroom, look around him, and come back down. When I called home, dad would put the two dogs on the phone, and while the little one didnt care all that much, ted used to get so excited he would lick the phone. My dad stopped letting me talk to him after a while as he thought it just upset him.

I wont ever forget his reaction that afternoon I came home. I got a taxi home and the dog almost ate me, he was barking like little puppy "woofs" and i almost never got to the door he was so excited.

After that, he didn't really let me out of his sight. After that we became even closer. He was wherever I was. Walkies, bed, shop. It didn't matter.
    If he went with my dad, which he did often, and if I showed up (i wouldnt be in the habit of) he would start barking and race to meet me.

He was friendly with everyone, but he was extremely attached to me.

In November, after my daughter was born, I was drinking a lot, didn't want to get up, everything was an effort. The days I felt dressed up was the days I even bothered with a bra. I wasn't having an easy time, and the stress of everything that had happened had ended my relationship with my daughters father.

During that time, I relied on him more than any human should rely on an animal. He was the only one I could talk to. The only one I felt comfortable sitting with, crying with, talking to. He would just look at me with those massive big brown eyes and I felt so much more relaxed, or able to cope.

A month later was christmas. I really didnt feel like having a christmas, but I knew my family were worrying, and unsure of what to do, so for them, I tried my best. I was Santa. Not to my child, unfortunately, but to my best friend - the only thing I felt i had left.
    Both my dogs got beds, 2 lovely coats for the winter and 1/2lb of sliced ham each.

This year I was planning on getting him socks, for his poor little feet.

He had his chores too lol. Our thing was when he'd trot up behind me, if i was going to bring laundry for my room, I would hang bras, or tshirts, around his neck, or put them on him, or tie jammie bottoms around him, and he would follow me back to the utility room, and sit patiently at the machine, while I "undressed" him.

I'm gonna finish it with this last memory, as its just too much. I could keep going for the rest of the day, I have so many memories of him.

There was an agricultural show was in August. The 14th of August. It was a sunday. Nobody would come with me, so me and ted headed on by ourselves. He was so good, he got an icecream at the show for being such a good dog, I bought it and brought him into the carpark for him to eat it in peace.
    We had an amazing day. One vendor held his lead for me while I looked at some stuff, and he remarked he was the best behaved dog he had ever seen. We headed on home at about 5 o clock, and on the way home I stopped at Mc Donalds for him. I bought him a hamburger, with no onions or ketchup, and milk.
    He had a small bit of bother trying to drink the milk out of the mc donalds cup, in the car, but he managed it in the end. There are pics included from that day. they were taken while we sat down looking at the horses. He never once barked at them or got upset.

He absolutely loved human contact. He was happy once he could feel you were having some contact with him, and if you weren't he would just move my arm himself.

He had the patience of a saint around my little dog, spoiled lil brat. The little dog was boss. Hed eat poor teds food, get into teds bed, stick his head into teds mouth, lick teds teeth, nibbled teds paws. Not once did Ted even snap him. I don't even think he even growled.

The only time ted seemed oblvious, would be when i was talking to the little guy. God forbid he would hear me talking to someone that wasnt him. Hed run over, whistling almost, with pure panic that jack was getting the attention instead of him. He did not care if Jack was in the way, he'd just walk on him. Of course Jack would be furious, and run off. The size of him, and he scrambling like a puppy to get up on my knee. When he did get up, he didn't fit of course, but it didnt bother him. He just wanted to snuggle in.

"Who my boy? YOU MY BOY" was met with him slapping up his big shovel of a paw. He knew he was my boy. I just wish he knew it before he went to sleep.
    I love you baby. Im so sorry.

iloveyouth.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face, I am so so sorry for your loss. I think this is the saddest story I have ever read.

He sounds like a brilliant dog and based on his photos a stunning one :)

He knew you loved him, never ever doubt that.
    Lots of love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

I'm sitting here with tears streaming down my face, I am so so sorry for your loss. I think this is the saddest story I have ever read.

He sounds like a brilliant dog and based on his photos a stunning one :)

He knew you loved him, never ever doubt that.
    Lots of love

What happened to him? Sorry for your loss by the way, it's always a very sad time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

What happened to him? Sorry for your loss by the way, it's always a very sad time.
    This thread will help you understand.Posted on Monday and he was pts today. Honest to god the saddest thread ive read on here and a major wake up call for all of us.

Hey Storminateacup,

Teddy knew how much you loved him, he knew he was your boy, I'd say he knew he was your boy the day you picked him up from the pound.

The fact that he kept kisses just for you is enough for anyone to know.

You shouldn't doubt for one second that he know how much you both meant to each other.

I read your story and whilst it is sad that he had to go I take great comfort that beautiful animal such as Teddy found someone so loving as you.

Time will eventually heal the wound and when it does you will be left with just pure gold for memories.

Thanks very much for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I apologise for what I know is going to turn into a novel. This is my boy, Teddy. 29/09/'10, RIP.

"Who my boy? YOU MY BOY" was met with him slapping up his big shovel of a paw. He knew he was my boy. I just wish he knew it before he went to sleep.
    I love you baby. Im so sorry.

So sorry for your loss, hope this helps some:
    [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]A Loan From God[/FONT]
    [FONT=trebuchet ms, Arial, Helvetica]God promised at the birth of time,
    A special Friend to give,
    His time on earth is short, He said,
    So love him while he lives.

It may be for eight or ten years,
    Or only two or three,
    But will you, till I call him back,
    Take care of him for me?

A wagging tail and cold wet nose,
    And silken velvet ears,
    A heart as big as all outdoors,
    To love you through the years.

His puppy ways will gladden you,
    And antics bring a smile,
    As guardian or friend he will,
    Be loyal all the while.

He'll bring his charms to grace your life,
    And though his stay be brief,
    When he's gone the memories,
    Are solace for your grief.

I cannot promise he will stay,
    Since all from earth return,
    But lessons only a dog can teach,
    I want you each to learn.

I've looked the whole world over,
    In search of guardians true,
    And from the folk that crowd life's land,
    I have chosen you.

Whatever love you give to him,
    Returns in triple measure,
    Follow his lead and gain a life,
    Brimmed full of simple pleasures.

Enjoy each day as it comes,
    Allow your heart to guide,
    Be loyal and steadfast in love,
    As the dog there by your side.

Now will you give him all your love,
    Nor think the labor vain,
    Nor hate me when I come to call,
    To take him back again?

I fancy each of us would say,
    Dear Lord, Thy will be done,
    For all the joys this dog shall bring,
    The risk of grief we'll run.

We'll shelter him with tenderness,
    We'll love him while we may,
    And for the happiness we've known,
    Forever grateful stay.

But should the angels call for him,
    Much sooner than we've planned,
    We'll brave the bitter grief that comes,
    And try to understand.

If by our love we've managed,
    God's wishes to achieve,
    In memory of him that we have loved,
    And to help us while we grieve.

When our faithful bundle departs,
    This earthly world of strife,
    We'll get yet another pup,
    And love him all his life.

[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

<3 Thats a beautiful poem.

I will never get another dog though. Teddy was my boy, my baby. I told him that all the time. I also used to tell him about "the puppy". Pretended we were holding a puppy, passing around an invisible puppy. He HATED "puppy" despite never seeing "puppy" (as puppy wasnt real). Should you make your arms into cradle shape and ask "gooood puppy!!!" he would get all sorts of bothered and lift my arm up with his head.

I know he didnt like "puppy". Theres no way I could do that to him. Theres no room in my heart for another animal and I will never risk feeling like this again. I have been crying non stop. I miss him so much, these past two days feel like the longest of my life, like im WAITING for him to come home, but hes never going to.

I think id really have rathered to take his place. Those pictures, esp that one with his hat on, and the lipstick on his nose. Longlasting lipstick that would stay on his beautiful white nose for ever. I know he couldnt see it, but kissing him goodbye and leaving a mark, it was like looking at him could tell he was loved, that he had someone to kiss him goodbye.

I love him. He was a fantastic animal and I am so lucky I had him in my life because he is truely the best friend anybody could ask for. I just feel so angry and helpless for him.
    I hope he realised I loved him. I hope it wasn't just one sided, because even when I was horrid to be around, he was still amazing company.
    He was so loyal and I wasnt.

Im just really glad me and him had our day together, with his icecream, treats and his burger and milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

This is Charlie, he wasn't mine but lived at my Grannies.
    [IMG][/img]46998_434546671034_579181034_5891620_2100447_n.jpg
    He turned up 10 years ago or so, looking old and half blind in an awful state. She fed him up tamed him and got him neutered along with a younger identical cat(Felix) who turned up around the same time. He was never very tame, but lived in an old shed and always had food and a warm bed.
    My granny died a few months ago and had been in care for a few months, charlie got wilder again with the lack of contact, but my dad fed him daily. A few weeks ago we managed to catch Felix and rehome him(the house they lived at is being sold), he was younger and tamer, the lady offered to take both cats, but we couldn't catch Charlie. Last week my dad and brother managed to catch him but realized something was wrong, he was put to sleep on Tuesday. Poor old boy, gone to keep my granny company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

<3 Thats a beautiful poem.

I will never get another dog though. Teddy was my boy, my baby. I told him that all the time. I also used to tell him about "the puppy". Pretended we were holding a puppy, passing around an invisible puppy. He HATED "puppy" despite never seeing "puppy" (as puppy wasnt real). Should you make your arms into cradle shape and ask "gooood puppy!!!" he would get all sorts of bothered and lift my arm up with his head.

I know he didnt like "puppy". Theres no way I could do that to him. Theres no room in my heart for another animal and I will never risk feeling like this again. I have been crying non stop. I miss him so much, these past two days feel like the longest of my life, like im WAITING for him to come home, but hes never going to.

I think id really have rathered to take his place. Those pictures, esp that one with his hat on, and the lipstick on his nose. Longlasting lipstick that would stay on his beautiful white nose for ever. I know he couldnt see it, but kissing him goodbye and leaving a mark, it was like looking at him could tell he was loved, that he had someone to kiss him goodbye.

I love him. He was a fantastic animal and I am so lucky I had him in my life because he is truely the best friend anybody could ask for. I just feel so angry and helpless for him.
    I hope he realised I loved him. I hope it wasn't just one sided, because even when I was horrid to be around, he was still amazing company.
    He was so loyal and I wasnt.

Im just really glad me and him had our day together, with his icecream, treats and his burger and milk.

Think of it this way though OP, there are lots of "Teddys" out there crying out to be loved and cared for and in time, would fill the void that your fella has left, I know you'll never replace him, but he's gone to a better place and i'm sure he wouldn't mind, in fact i'm sure he'd appreciate it too. Think about it anyway OP, I know it's a very sad time for you. Sorry for your loss.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

Sorry for your loss everyone.
    I lost my 6yr old cat yesterday. It was such a shock as we were expecting to have her for the longterm as she was quite healthy & still young. She dropped dead from an anyuerism on the heart. I loved that cat so much, she was so cool.

It really feels like a good friend or someone part of the family has gone, I just cried most of the day and can't get my mind off of it.

We have another young cat and I know she's upset and confused. I'll need to get another cat to join the household so she's not lonely. But I'll never find another cat like mine!

Here's to the healing process

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭scubakid

Peanut died after getting hit by a car in July..
    RIP

38342_1222737627246_1793131063_442027_1114646_n.jpg

This is here on Munster Final day this year :)

scubakid wrote: »
    Peanut died after getting hit by a car in July..
    RIP

This is here on Munster Final day this year :)

He obviously trusted you a great deal :) I couldn't get any of my cats to wear anything... well not without requiring a blood transfusion.

I love his eyes, bright with a wee glint of mischief. Sorry for the loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

Goodbye to a Border Collie.
    Getting prepared to bury a friend of 14 years shortly.
    She had her final visit to the vet yesterday, and left this world peacefully.
    I can still feel her giving my face a "morning wash" and see her tapping her paw on the ground if I was a bit late for the walk.
    Personally I find the hardest thing about loving dogs, is their short life span compared to us.
    Goodbye my "flower", sleep now at peace.

Sookie (aka Wook Wook) passed away in the night, she got some sort of respiratory infection over th past few days and we took her to the vet, she was given a steroid injection and we were told to keep an eye on her... Her condition deteriorated very quickly yesterday though and during the nigh I heard her struggling for breath under the bed... quickly jumped up and held her.. but she died there and then... very sad.........

Here she is, she wasn't well in this so I was trying to get some pictures last week, glad I did as I don't have too many of her...
    I keep thinking I could of done more for her yesterday, I heard her moving around our room in the night but was hoping that she was trying to get comfortable... she was probably looking for help though the poor thing....

I keep thinking I could of done more for her yesterday, I heard her moving around our room in the night but was hoping that she was trying to get comfortable... she was probably looking for help though the poor thing....

Don't beat yourself up. You took her to the vet and the vet was content to send her home after the shot. Sometimes unfortunately infections just take hold and there is little anyone can do.

You were at least there for her at the very end and I'm sure that was of some comfort to you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Gone to doggy heaven just over a week ago (aged 18 years) RIP
    5492_126565668383_623843383_3064719_1515750_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭ant043

Casper 16 years old RIP. Went asleep on the 26th October 2010. Best friend I ever had. Christmas present when I was 6. House is so empty without him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq4M1VOGKyE

Advertisement