Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

ant043 wrote: »
    Casper 16 years old RIP. Went asleep on the 26th October 2010. Best friend I ever had. Christmas present when I was 6. House is so empty without him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bq4M1VOGKyE

That's a nice clip, in the video shots his tail was in constant wag mode (and not just when treats were on offer ;)) he was clearly a very happy dog. His owners made him that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

My dog Darkie died in his sleep on October 31st. He was 17 years old. Will miss him so much. He was always a wonderful friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 davelegacy

Prince passed on 26th October through help of a vet. He was huge huge part of my life for ten years and was a great companion and friend. Can't believe hes gone and have not dealt with it at all and finding and seriously difficult to accept hes gone. There and loving when others were not.

Really not quite sure how pain of loss will pass..

R.I.P. Big Guy..

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

davelegacy wrote: »
    Prince passed on 26th October through help of a vet. He was huge huge part of my life for ten years and was a great companion and friend. Can't believe hes gone and have not dealt with it at all and finding and seriously difficult to accept hes gone. There and loving when others were not.

Really not quite sure how pain of loss will pass..

R.I.P. Big Guy..

Im so sorry xxx,You will never forget the pain but it does get easier with time.Hope you are ok xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

We picked up Oz from the pound in October 2002 at age 6. He was terrified when he moved into his new house and spent a lot of time disappearing under the couch. But, he came out of his shell in no time. The Osbournes was on TV back then, and when we came home one day during his first week to discover he'd thrashed the room we figured Oz was a good name for him.

He was a great pal. As soon as you arrived home he'd be giddy, grabbing one of his toys and following you around the house. If you lay down on the couch you didn't have to ask him twice to hop up on your back to keep you warm. He also was a bit of a gentleman thief and I'm still trying to work out how a number of food items disappeared only to find evidence of them in his bed.

He started getting bad around April. He stopped coming down the stairs after a bad fall, and then stopped going up them. After a visit to the vet we thought he had arthritis, but then he started to tilt his head and stumble around a bit, and it seems there was a growth of some sort in his ear or brain. This was followed by numerous visits to the vet and then his heart started to fail. He kept his character through all of this, and I'm so glad that he still knew us and was alert and even had some wags in him when it was time to put him to sleep.

He's gone since Saturday and we miss him terribly. But every time we feel sorry for ourselves and start talking about him we end up laughing as we remember some other antic he got up to. Cheers Oz, the eight years you were with us were so worth the pain we're going through now. Thanks pal.
    37569374_7e3c29999b_z.jpg?zz=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

Lost my poor little cat a few months ago to some idiot driving to fast on our estate and knocked her down (hit & run). One of our kind neighbours found her coming home late in the night and moved her onto the path. I found her on my way to work the next morning and really thought I was going to get sick or collapse or something, I couldnt believe it, she was only a little over 1 years of age.

I've had cats all my life and as such, have lost them to old age etc but this little cat seemed to have an affect on everyone that came in contact with her. My neighbours were devestated and even my mum was in floods of tears and she didnt even want another cat in the first place. She had the funniest personality and was so clever and mystivious, absolute dote! It's going to be a long time before I could even think of getting another cat.

IMG_0606.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

Yenwod, gorgeous cat, beautiful coloring, sorry for your loss.

I know it hurts but you've been a cat person as you say for so long. I'm sure in time you'll feel up to giving another cat a great home.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Optimus485

Pyrenean Mountain dog, Albie, had to be put to sleep last monday after 21 wonderful months of life. It broke our hearts to bring him to the vets for the final time. He had epilepsy which finally took over, with him having seizures every hour in the end.

When he wasn't sick (most of his life he wasn't sick) he was the most amazing, clever, stubborn, funny companion. He was a beautiful animal and a great friend who leaves a big empty space in our lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

So hard to lose them so young. It's not fair but im sure he had 21 months filled with as much love as if it had been 21 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

44622_1523529803161_1082073532_1540714_6935410_n.jpg
    Heidi :(

I had her since I was 5, she'd have been 10 around now. She got pretty sick after my mam died so I imagine it was related; she had arthritis and epilepsy as most german shepherds do when they're older. She was great and always cheered me up when I was sad, she was my mam's best friend and one of the biggest reminders I had of her, them sharing toast. :P She was so gentle, for such a "big" dog as a german shepherd, heh. I miss her but she was so sick that I'm glad to know her pain is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

We had to put our dog Fodhla to sleep last week. She was 13, a black lab. She had cancer in her mouth and the lymphnodes. Then the vet thinks she had a stroke, her balance was gone and and kept banging into things. She was the princess in our house. She was eating like an absolute trooper right up until the end, yes she somehow managed to lose a lot of weight.

She went walk about around a week before we put her to sleep and we think she was trying to do it her own way. On the last night that we had her, one of our cats sat down beside her, put his paw on her ribs, started purring and then lay down beside her. This broke my heart.

She had been blind for around 4 years after getting cataracts and she also had arthritis! But she was everyones favourite pooch.

Fodhla.jpg
    I miss her so much :(

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭fataltragedy

yesterday morning, our vet called to the house to treat our beautiful bichon for the final time.

mum sat on the couch, with his head in her lap - his favourite place to sleep, and, went to his eternal sleep there.

sleep tight buddy, we miss you already.

buried him in the backgarden, wrapped in his blanket he got for christmas last year, with his favourite tug toy, and cushion bed, and, a photo of him - lest anyone dig up the bones in years to come :(

he was almost twelve years old, and we miss him desperately, though he was old and slow.. he was here.

2197uwi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭sophie1234

a cat that didnt belong to me she was a stray that always waited for me at work only about 1 or 2 i used to feed and cuddle her the friendlyist stray cat in the world came back to my work to die! i got her in a box and to the vet as fast as possible unfortunatly she didnt make it! im so upset it happened so quickly! the vet reckoned she was poisioned how anyone could do this to a cat i dont no! i never even new if she had an owner she just used to to come to see me every day sit on my knee and have some food! but hopfully now shes in a better place! :-( RIP little kitty!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In memory of a cat called Black-nose who died last night. Sorry for the totally unoriginal name, he was always a playful scamp.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Sad that I have to post this as it means someone I loved has gone.

My mother's dog Mac a spring spaniel was put to sleep on Monday after his visit to the vet and she said his kidney's and liver were failing and it was the best thing for him. We got Mac 12 years ago just after shortly after my Dad died as my mother would be alone at various times and it was good for he to have company. When Mac arrived we did everything you were not supposed to do, we treated him like a child and he got everything his way!

Mac never ever took to the lead but loved chasing after the ball. Outside my mother's house is a big green so he spent lots of time chasing the ball :) As he got older kids from the area wanted to play with him so my mother would let him out and he would chase after the ball for them, he loved anyone who would through the ball.

He was the biggest chicken of a dog, he would bark behind the gate if another dog was outside but would never go out even though one side of the gate was open! He wasn't though afraid to let anyone know when they entered the garden that he didn't trust that they were not welcome. One time someone came into the garden late at night over the wall and he went mad barking at the back door to get out - we thought he just got spooked by a sound but there was someone in the back garden!! Good dog Mac :D

In the last few weeks he tried his best to fight but he couldn't. He was not eating and had lost so much weight. Taking him to the vet was inevitable and probably should have done a few weeks ago but as anyone who has lost a pet knows it's hard

So another one gone to a better place :)

Will try put a pic if I find one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

My pony, Millie, was put down 3 days ago. She was 16 years old.

She got colic last week, but it cleared up in a few hours. Then a few days ago it returned, but seemed to improve after a while. The vet didn't seem too worried about her. The next morning however she was terrible. The vet gave her painkillers and told us that it wasn't looking good, but that he'd giver her a few hours just to give her a chance.

She was covered in mud and had cuts on her face from rolling around during the night. It was horrible, she wasn't interested in anyone, just kept walking about to try ease the pain. The pressure on her heart was so much that she was getting spasms every now and then.
    After a few hours we rang the vet, as even though she was on strong painkillers we could see she was still in pain. The vet checked her and said her gut had completely stopped functioning and that either way she only had another day at most to live. So I knew putting her to sleep was the kindest thing to do.
    The colic seemed to have just come from nowhere, she had no change in routine or diet, so I guess we just won't know.

I'm so devastated. I owned her for 9 years, I grew up with her, experienced my first competitions with her. For the last few years she has been retired due to a leg injury, but the children at the stable loved to have a ride on her and I didn't mind not riding her, grooming her was enough for me.

Some people just don't understand the loss of a pet. They think you're a bit odd to be so upset over an animal.

I just found it so horrible that I could not explain to her or comfort her anyway.

:(

227762470a1920656426b466378744o.jpg

When we were both young:
    l_95c709b3d329bd5cd97e40d58aa1bdf3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 FleurBelle

"Some people just don't understand the loss of a pet. They think you're a bit odd to be so upset over an animal."

I was thinking the same thing over the past few days. Lost my 16 year old cat over the weekend and it's completely devastating. This might sound a bit dramatic but 16 years is a long time to be attached to any animal, big or small, and it really is like losing a friend. Your horse looks beautiful, sorry for your loss.

@ Keano A Legend: Sorry for your poor dog, that's the same way I lost my cat. You told a lovely story, sounds like your dog was well loved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭mprop

My 17 year old retriever is in her last few weeks. Her back legs are failing, she is frail, skinny and just sleeps all the time. She has an infection in her ears which has made her deaf and it has spread into her eyes causing irritation. Despite this she is the most cheerful dog you could meet. When she sees me she springs to her feet (in slow motion with slips and slides) and wobbles over to me. My friends and family know of her condition and I intend to bring her to my parents house for Christmas Day, let her take her old place in the hall for the day and for everyone to say their goodbyes. Its been coming a long time and everyone knows it. I got this poem by email today and I thought I would share. Its going to be a hard thing to do but I know its right.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

mprop wrote: »
    My 17 year old retriever is in her last few weeks. Her back legs are failing, she is frail, skinny and just sleeps all the time. She has an infection in her ears which has made her deaf and it has spread into her eyes causing irritation. Despite this she is the most cheerful dog you could meet. When she sees me she springs to her feet (in slow motion with slips and slides) and wobbles over to me. My friends and family know of her condition and I intend to bring her to my parents house for Christmas Day, let her take her old place in the hall for the day and for everyone to say their goodbyes. Its been coming a long time and everyone knows it. I got this poem by email today and I thought I would share. Its going to be a hard thing to do but I know its right.
    Lovely poem - might give it to my mother in a while when I think she is ready to read it.

All I can say is that what you are doing to let everyone say goodbye is lovely. It's hard to let go but you are doing the right thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I had to say goodbye to our Golden Retriever named Hobbes last night. He was 13 years old. It was so hard to see him go as he had been around for half my life.

Myself, my sister and mother will miss him so much. Dougal our other, dog stayed up all last night barking for him.

He had been sick for the last few months and had suffered a huge stroke. He recovered from it but they kept reoccurring and this week he lost movement in all four legs. Last night we said goodbye and he has gone to see our old friends, Toby the dog and our three cats.

dzccjn.jpg

Hobbes, 1997-2010

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

just lost my 4 year old english bully [teddy] he had to be taken into the vets,as he had a blockage and could not pee,after two operations and he twice died on the table,he had both brain damage and kidney damage,and we had to let him go,its so upsetting as he was a lovely boy very friendly,loving,four days ago he was running around so happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mrsd

We discovered our lovely rabbit dead this morning :confused:
    We can't figure out why he died. He was warm enough, plenty of food water and hay and was well cared for.
    We are devastated and my 7 yr old DD is inconsolable!!
    He was so lovely we will never forget him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Well Sammy's gone. :( He was over 18 and sick for a while. It was decided last night to have him put down today but he died overnight. No pics handy, he was a stubby wee brown and white Jack Russell, I'll miss him. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Janine87

Thought I'm gonna mention this here anyway.

About 2 weeks ago a kitten came into our garden. It was very scared so it must have been a wild kitten. He slept in the box in the garden and I tried to catch him. Didn't manage to though. A day after he was in the box again and I was very close to him that he should have run a hundred miles an hour but he seemed to be really week now and just wanted to sleep. I decided to bring them to the vet next day after work. When I came to the box I found him dead. :( I didn't know the little guy at all but I was very sad. He probably had a bad flu and came to us too late. Rip my little friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I can't believe Sammy's gone. :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

amacachi wrote: »
    I can't believe Sammy's gone. :'(
    I know,im so sorry for your loss...it really only hits you a few days later doesnt it? Its my dogs year anniversary on sunday and would give anything for a hug from her now :o Just keep remembering all the nice things you did with him and all the funny things he did and smile. Easier said than done i know.;)

In memory of my little buddy Bonny who was very peacefully PTS on Jan 9th 2010.This was her:

2 years old
    ba.jpg

Doin what she loved best

b2_1.jpg

My favourite pic of her

b_2.jpg

2 weeks before she died...aged 14.

b1.jpg

You never forget them. Id do anythin for one more hug from her or walk with her.Im generally not a very soppy person, but...think the pics speak for themselves..1 year later. Still miss you "puppyhead" :o

Lads, this thread should also not be unstickied either. Whats going on?You've just unstickied the top threads here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Neither of these two threads should be unstickied :(

• Advertisement

all of these stories are heartbreaking especially because I know I'll have to go through it.

2 jack russels, mother and daughter. 18 and 14. Best dogs in the world. The 14 year old looks about 2 years old and feckin acts like it too!

Don't any of you worry about what people think of you being upset because your pet died. You know what he/she meant to you and you know what them not being in your life will make you feel. They're family, a friend, someone who you can tell your worries to and they'll always love you and never answer you back!

RIP little doggies/cats/rabbits etc

Advertisement