Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Cant believe Im writing this but my second bunny Ziggy, died at 12.05am today.

This is on top of my other bunny Jinxie who lost his battle with a long standing illness back in August.

It was a huge shock as this was the first time in the four years I had Ziggy that he had to go to the vet with an illness. He was always as healthy as a horse and just detieriorated over the space of 48 hours, rapidly. We are not sure what happened (nor was our Vet who is the best - Bairbre O'Malley), but I am once again heartbroken that another great pet has departed.

What was also a surprise was not just that he was only 4, but our other bunny (who we always had to bring to the vet), lasted over 6 years and if my life was on it, I would of sworn Ziggy would comfortably outlast Jinxie.

Fair well my good friend, you are now at peace with Jinxie. You couldnt of been a better pet are already sorely missed. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Orange had to be PTS yesterday due to the onset of Septecemia after an opertion to clean his teeth and remove 2 of them.... we thought that doing this would of given him a new lease of life but it wasn't to be..

We met when we moved in to our house 5 years ago and he quickly became part of the family, apparently he was over 10 years old and we had given him at least 5 of them so we did good for him and hope he was happy, well he always seemed to be... RIP Orange..

Thats the third cat we have lost in 12 months.... Bill, Sookie and now Orange... 3 left... Mohawk, Mozart and The Bead.... also one more trying to weedle it's way in the house, The Weird Cat....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Noffles

Noffles wrote: »
    Orange had to be PTS yesterday due to the onset of Septecemia after an opertion to clean his teeth and remove 2 of them.... we thought that doing this would of given him a new lease of life but it wasn't to be..

We met when we moved in to our house 5 years ago and he quickly became part of the family, apparently he was over 10 years old and we had given him at least 5 of them so we did good for him and hope he was happy, well he always seemed to be... RIP Orange..

Thats the third cat we have lost in 12 months.... Bill, Sookie and now Orange... 3 left... Mohawk, Mozart and The Bead.... also one more trying to weedle it's way in the house, The Weird Cat....

A quick image of him in his prime..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

Noffles wrote: »
    A quick image of him in his prime..

gorgeous, so cuddly looking. sorry for your loss noffles.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,864 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Our little Dover was put down on the 11th at the age of 18 and a half. Her kidneys were failing and her back legs were going so Mam had to take the initiative and bring her to the vet. She had been whining and couldn't get up and down off of her couch on the Tuesday so it had to be done.

Here is her as a little pup.

36012_441091536059_647901059_5810020_5989263_n.jpg

And here is her about 8-10 months ago.

11855_362025555306_737165306_9876415_782217_n.jpg

Considering I'm only 21 and my sister has only just gone 18, it's strange she's not there. She's been to 2 towns and 3 different houses!

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

So sorry for your loss of little Dover, Mars Bar

She was so so cute as a puppy and what a lovely old lady she turned out to be too

Hope you have lots of happy memories. She must have had a great life with you

Take care
    xx

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

RIP Minnie, my gerbil passed away on monday her cagemate is all alone now. I think she died of old age, i cried alot and my dad laughed at me saying its only a gerbil which was very sympathetic, not
    august 2008- jan 20112v80c55.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

My 2 Springers.
    Mac is sitting and Baby is laying down. Both died at the ripe old ages of 17.
    I got them both within a month of each other as pups and Mac had to be pts because of cancer. Baby lasted a few months longer but with arthritis and his back hips going it was no longer kind to keep him on meds and hoping for the best.
    macbaby.jpg

This little scamp Lex was spoilt rotten, and I could not go anywhere without bringing him with me in the car, and boy could he sulk, he would lay at the top of the stairs and refuse to budge for an hour.
    Lex.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Cody died yesterday ages 17. I just can't believe I'm writing this. I've had him since I was 9 and I am completely heartbroken.

He was such an amazing dog, only looked a few years old and always so happy. Never growled, so good with all the other dogs around the house. He was the man!

He was so healthy all his life, only time he was at the vet was to get his tail amputated after it got infected. He was on daily meds for arthritis and special food but with those two things he was flying. He just died today, don't know what happened but vet reckoned it was his heart, it just gave up.

I'm on my phone now so can't add pictures but will when I get to my laptop later. Lying in bed and just don't want to sleep.

Love u Toad, I'm gonna miss ya xxx

Here is Cody last August..

IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0031.jpg

And from Christmas '10

IMG_0328.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Cody was just beautiful, what a handsome boy! He looks absolutely fab in those pics, you obviously took great care of him and gave him alot of love in his long life. So sorry for your loss. RIP Cody.

carleigh wrote: »
    Cody was just beautiful, what a handsome boy! He looks absolutely fab in those pics, you obviously took great care of him and gave him alot of love in his long life. So sorry for your loss. RIP Cody.

Thank you, he looks so dirty in the snow pic :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Awh Tilly, im very sorry for your loss:( Cody was a beauty. RIP little fella x

Thanks Andrea. Am on the verge of tears here all day at work. Its not easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭candy_pants

TillyGirl wrote: »
    Thanks Andrea. Am on the verge of tears here all day at work. Its not easy.

Hi TillyGirl,

I'm so sorry about your dog - he was gorgeous and very well maintained for a 17 year old! Our dog had little grey hairs around her face and had gotten old looking towards the end. I understand how you're feeling - we had ours for nearly 14 years from when I was 12 so nearly half my life and its such a tough thing. Made tougher when you sort of feel you shouldn't grieve for a dog by people around you. I was a mess at work for days but I remember her fondly now and can talk about happy memories without bursting out crying and you'll get there too. Hope you can get through the rest of the day/week ok...xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Profiler

carleigh wrote: »

100% agree with this. To think he was 16 years old in those pics from Aug 2010. It might be a bit of cliche but to live to 17 has to part nature and part nurture. He was obviously a well cared for and loved family member.

Profiler wrote: »
    100% agree with this. To think he was 16 years old in those pics from Aug 2010. It might be a bit of cliche but to live to 17 has to part nature and part nurture. He was obviously a well cared for and loved family member.
    Hi TillyGirl,

I'm so sorry about your dog - he was gorgeous and very well maintained for a 17 year old! Our dog had little grey hairs around her face and had gotten old looking towards the end. I understand how you're feeling - we had ours for nearly 14 years from when I was 12 so nearly half my life and its such a tough thing. Made tougher when you sort of feel you shouldn't grieve for a dog by people around you. I was a mess at work for days but I remember her fondly now and can talk about happy memories without bursting out crying and you'll get there too. Hope you can get through the rest of the day/week ok...xx

Thank you both, he was pretty amazing and am gonna miss him so much. He would have turned 18 in July :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

So so sorry TG about your loss. We lost Tommy our springer in November and he was about 15. It's devastating. The first few days are the worst but in time it will improve a little, day by day.
    Just remember we will outlive most of our pets, please God, and all you can do is love them and give them a great life. Which you obviously did.
    Nobody understands unless they've gone through it.
    Be gentle with yourself and cherish the memories.
    Your photos are lovely

Eibhin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

First time post on the Pets board, this evening after work, I will have to send Flash to "the farm in the country". He's an old border/rough collie mix, we got him at a rescue when he was about 9. He's going on 19 now I think. He's gotten severe arthritis in the past year, which his meds have helped with quite a bit, but it did effect his quality of life - walks were short, and moving was difficult. He put on weight because of this which made everything more difficult.

Then he developed what we thought was epilepsy, again meds helped and he had fewer seizures, but yesterday he had an attack for almost the entire morning and two epidurals of valium did nothing for him. We rushed him to the vet who had him in last night and he's gotten worse.

The vet belives the cause is something much more severe, possibly a brain tumour but he's not quite sure. Either way Flash has been sedated since last night and the possibility of making a recovery is slim, and a full recovery is non existent.

So now it comes down to it, euthanasia is the most humane option. It would be unfair to him to allow him to suffer any longer. I thought Flash would never leave, he's been around since I was young and he's always been there. My biggest regret is that my new job has put him on the back burner for the last few months, leaving my family to take care of him. I feel like I can't really say goodbye, a proper goodbye, and that's worse than him being gone. :(

I'm stuck in work, and I needed to write this out. Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭almae

TG so sorry for your loss , Its very hard to deal with but each day does get easier.

thehomeofDob , I dont know what i can say to you to prepare you for what you are going to face this evening. The only advice i can give you is to grieve , cry let it out, when it happens.
    I have never been with a dog when they were pts , but i was with my Garfield (cat)who at aged 6 had to be pts last July and it was devasting.
    I can only suggest to you , u ask the vet to sedate the dog before he actually puts him to sleep. and you can bring the dog with you and bury him , get him cremated on his own (vet will organise this, u will get his ashes back) , or a group cremation which is normal.

Keep strong , and if you can leave work now to spend a few hours with him.

alison

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

To theHomeofdob, very sorry to hear about your dog..
    As you said, the best thing for him is euthanasia..it is a hard choice but to see him suffering too much is painful for him and for you..
    Best of luck with what will happen or choice you decide to make tonight..

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭verywell

First time post on the Pets board, this evening after work, I will have to send Flash to "the farm in the country". He's an old border/rough collie mix, we got him at a rescue when he was about 9. He's going on 19 now I think. He's gotten severe arthritis in the past year, which his meds have helped with quite a bit, but it did effect his quality of life - walks were short, and moving was difficult. He put on weight because of this which made everything more difficult.

Then he developed what we thought was epilepsy, again meds helped and he had fewer seizures, but yesterday he had an attack for almost the entire morning and two epidurals of valium did nothing for him. We rushed him to the vet who had him in last night and he's gotten worse.

The vet belives the cause is something much more severe, possibly a brain tumour but he's not quite sure. Either way Flash has been sedated since last night and the possibility of making a recovery is slim, and a full recovery is non existent.

So now it comes down to it, euthanasia is the most humane option. It would be unfair to him to allow him to suffer any longer. I thought Flash would never leave, he's been around since I was young and he's always been there. My biggest regret is that my new job has put him on the back burner for the last few months, leaving my family to take care of him. I feel like I can't really say goodbye, a proper goodbye, and that's worse than him being gone. :(

I'm stuck in work, and I needed to write this out. Thanks for reading.

Big hugs to you. It is so hard to say goodbye...

I was with my 2 dogs when they were PTS and it was very peaceful, they just closed their eyes and went to sleep.

You feel relief because they are no longer in pain..

xx

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Came in the door tonight to find out my cat Buddy had been put down. He had been mrowing more than usual recently and seemed a bit out of sorts so mum took him to the vets today for a checkup. We thought he might need his teeth cleaned or that he was constipated.

He had a tumour the size of an orange wrapped round his gut. I wish I could have been there when they put him to sleep. I love you B and miss you more than I can say, I just want to stop crying.

The vets said there was nothing they could do. They could have tried to operate, but the tumour was so big and B was 14 so might not have survived the anesthetic. Mum said before they put him to sleep he was wandering around the room sniffing and investigating everything. It's the shock of him having been so normal and acting the eejit as usual and then this.

He came to our house from a house round the road. He walked up the driveway and greeted my dad as he was going to work. Mum gave him a bowl of milk, then he came in and jumped on my brother's lap and didn't leave after that. The family he had lived with didn't give a sh1t, they used to leave him outside all the time and not bother looking after him when they went on holiday, they didn't care when we took him in. At least he had a good life with us. I'll never forget his meow, it was so loud and distinctive, he never shut up!

He loved cuddles and being carried up the stairs. He used to nose all around the house finding out where everybody was. He used to push open the door to the loo and try and get on our laps!!!!!!! He'd snake around my head when I was sleeping, or lie down beside me under the cover. And he used to drool when he was purring. I wish wish wish I could stop crying.

S5002269.jpg?t=1297988098

I love my green eyed boy

2004_1219Image0033.jpg?t=1297988097

2004_1219Image0030.jpg?t=1297988097

He got up on the presses in the kitchen one day and we had to climb up and get him down cuz he couldn't :D

I can't take it in that he's gone. It's only 2 months since our other cat Tinkle had to be put down cuz of old age. She was 16

2004_1219Image0029.jpg?t=1297988097

z2.jpg?t=1297988097

She was a lunatic. My brother found her when he was cycling home from his girlfriend's about 15 years ago. She had been dumped in a skip on the side of the road. She had a collar on, but he took her anyway, tucked her inside his jacket and cycled with her from Knocklyon to Templeogue. We put up loads of posters of her, only one family called to check if she was theirs. I was secretly thrilled when she wasn't.

She was a bit of a bitch and used to turn on us a lot at the start, but mellowed out as she got older. Her and B used to kill each other in the garden, but playing of course. She had a crap meow compared to him, haha, it was really squeaky! She had a gigantic purr though and used to head butt really hard. Her kidneys and other organs started to fail and she wasn't eating at all, so we had to get her put to sleep. She was really quiet when she went, so it was a bit easier than when B was put down.

From having 7 cats a few years ago, B was the last we had left and now he's gone. The house is so empty now.

S5002269.jpg?t=1297988098

I love my green eyed boy

2004_1219Image0033.jpg?t=1297988097

2004_1219Image0030.jpg?t=1297988097
    Sorry to read about the loss of your cat(s)...He was a very very Handsome boy and you and your family are furtastic to have taken him in..At least, he enjoyed his life to the full and not being neglected..
    Just try to remember all the good times you and him spent together, and all the laughs you had with him around..At least he crossed the rainbow bridge and joined Tinkle..I am sure he is looking at you from where he is..
    If you feel the house too empty, give a chance to another cat whenever the time is right for you..Kittens season is coming soon, although, it is also good not to neglect to adopt older cats who also would love a lovely home as yours to spend the rest of their life happily...
    Again, sorry for your loss and wish you all the best..
    NB: it is good to have a good cry to relieve.. Be strong..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Oh I'm so sorry tread_softly.I know how it feels.
    It's ok to cry, it's very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Our 13 year old cat Jack died in his sleep yesterday after a short illness. He was comfortable & warm at home when he passed.

A great cat with a big personality. He had a good life, was spoiled rotten & always well cared for. A proud little warrior till the end.

He will be missed by all.

Picture006.jpg

Jack enjoying the sun in the garden...
    Picture110.jpg

RIP Jacko.

sorry for your loss fonecrusher1..
    Your pics made me smile, particularly the 2nd pic..He looked like he was smiling and very content.. Your lovely Jacko seemed to have a wonderful character..
    At least, he is not suffering any longer and was well beloved, spoiled and had a furtastic 13 years of good life with you..Take care, dear..
    RIP little cat, Jack..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

benbone.jpg

RIP Ben :( 2.5 years old & passed away this morning, super aggressive cancer gone into his lungs. Best Dog ever, more like a person than a dog, we're going to miss you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭almae

so sorry for your losses.
    It is very hard...
    I lost my garfield in July 2010,he was aged 6.it is very hard to deal with losing a pet.
    2508025570102916097S500x500Q85.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

bump up ...

why is this no longer a sticky ??!! great thread.

Advertisement