Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Macronelf

This is my dog, Millie. She recently passed away. She was 10 and a half years old. Had her since she was 1 and a half. She had declined a lot in the last few months and we had to make the hard decision to put it down. I haven't fully accepted she's gone, just feels like she's away. Though it's hard looking down where her bed used to be

Will never forget her

nNNwG.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Was scanning in some old photos, so I scanned in a few of our old dog Fifi.
    We got her from a pound back in approx. '88. She'd been badly treated and beaten. Was pretty matted and filthy.

She was the most wonderful dog, so caring and placid and loved attention but never sought it.
    They figured she was a few years old when we got her, so she would have been around 15/16 when she eventually had to be put down. Only many years later did we realise what breed she was (Lhasa Apso).

212143.jpg

212144.jpg

212145.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

this is fudge...went downhill and is in her cage beside me dieing :(:(:( shes just under 2 not bad for a hamster

edit: fudge died at 23:17 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Our pal of nearly 15 years, Spot, a fox terrier, had to be put to sleep last Friday - heart failure, couldn't stand, eat, drink. She was rescued from abusive owners at 6 months, waked every canal towpath with us, climbed the Maumturks in Connemara, the Comeraghs, Slieve Blooms, cruised on the River Shannon and canoed on the River Slaney with us, chased deer, killed rats, stayed in nice hotels. Thanks to Peter Murphy (Vet) of Summerhill, Wexford for his work through the years. We miss Spot dreadfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I'm on placement in the vets at the moment, and there was the most beautiful ginger cat who had taken up residence there. He was a rescue who had a bad infection and managed to over come it but there was something still off about him so he became a clinic cat. His stomach started to swell gradually, and kept getting bigger and bigger. Today his gums were as white as snow and he was finding it hard to breath. Poor thing had FIP. I'm in bits over it, I really got attached to him in my 7 weeks there. RIP Ginger, your in a better place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

My little boy Tilly (with a girls name), only had him a year and a half when he went missing in Oct 2010, found out last month that he was dead :(

we miss you baby xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Sinall

This is our beautiful dog, and best friend, Minnie. We had her for nearly 14 years and she died in May. We miss her every single day and treasure all the great memories we have of her. What a great, funny, clever, feisty and sparky little dog! We miss you and love you Min. Our lives aren't the same without you, our little lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

This was Rocky. It's been about three months since he died, just a week short of his 15th birthday. He was born in the house next door so I effectively had him from day 1, visiting him every day after school until I could take him home with me.

He was very lively and energetic for so long, but calmed down a bit over the last couple of years but even in his old age people still thought he was much younger. Then a few weeks before he died he lost a lot of weight quite suddenly. Brought him to the vet and he commented that he now actually looked older than he really was. They did all the tests and couldn't find anything wrong but it was clear that he was on his way out. The vet suggested putting him to sleep but agreed that he seemed well enough and not suffering so it wasn't urgent.

I took him home and he seemed to rally somewhat, seeming to have a bit more energy for just over a week but then he took a turn for the worse.

He went out to the toilet one night before bed. It was pissing rain and the outside light didn't work so it was very dark. Next thing I new the poor fella was lying in a puddle and couldn't get up so I had to carry him back in. I stayed up with him that night just petting him while he slept. If I could have brought him to the vet then and there I would have.

Brought him first thing in the morning and again I had to carry him to the car and into the vet. But just as I'd always wanted I was right there with him, rubbing head and paw as he took his last breath, me being the last thing he saw, knowing I would never leave him.

I can't put into words how much he meant to me or how much I miss him, even now. R.I.P. Rocky 1997 - 2012.

Rocky3.jpg

DSCF15072.jpg
    I talk to him when I'm lonesome like;
    And I'm sure he understands.
    When he looks at me so attentively,
    And gently licks my hands;
    Then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes,
    But I never say naught thereat.
    For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes,
    But never a friend like that.

- W. Dayton Wedgefarth
    If my dog is barred by the heavenly guard
    We'll both of us brave the heat!

- W. Dayton Wedgefarth
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Your story is very similar to mine except mine passed away during the night after a collapse in the garden. It's hard to put into words how you feel when you are sitting there knowing that you have less than 12 hours left with your pet.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

RIP Rocky, such a handsome boy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

In memory of "Little Grey Suzy", one of my cats who passed away at the week-end. A long life, and even with the one since kittenhood, she was a terror to the mice. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

This was Rocky.

I can't put into words how much he meant to me or how much I miss him, even now. R.I.P. Rocky 1997 - 2012.

[/Quote]

Rocky had a fantastic owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

RIP Siobahn, passed away tonight a week after her 4th birthday.
    So much personality, put your hand out and shed shove her head under it for pets and only when you had give a fair amount she'd then lick your face or hand back as if she was petting you in return until she felt it was fair then the head would be back under your hand for her turn again.

She'll be deeply missed.

IMAG0112_2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

This thread is heartbreaking.... I've been here before :(
    I seldom visit here because I normally leave the page in tears - Losing a pet just kills you at the time... Living on my own right now and my pet cat is my family... It's such an unbelievable loss when they reach the end of their days :(
    I hate to come here, but yet I love the stories here. All of you, and me, so fond of our little (or big!) buddies! All the photos and words here are so touching ....
    Hope you all get a new lil best buddy soon x
    Recessionary Ireland it may be - but nothing beats the affection I get when I get in in the evening and Missy Moo is there to greet me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭Dr. Jonathan Crane

Digger and Max. Father and son. Both were 12.

O56e4.jpg
    QSWI9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Benji died last year. We got him when I was 7, he died when I was 21 so I really grew up with him always around!

Browsing through the forum made me realise how much I miss him.
    He had a great temperament, very demanding, wanted constant attention, but was always up for a rub or a bit of rough & tumble play!

rw55e0.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Sheeba was born on 4 September 2000 and died on 22 August 2012 due to heart disease.
    7904665272_aaa8c81918_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

This is Lenny and I when we were both puppies MeandLen008.jpg

Lenny more recently.

photo-1.jpg

Lenny-1.jpg

He passed away last November and we still cry about him. I had him since I was six years old, I'm 18 now. We'll never forget the day we had to have Len put to sleep. I still miss him <3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Hi

Has anyone ever used pawprints cremation in Trim. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭dmcar02

Lost my one and only Sophie today (5th September 2012).

I had the pleasure of her for 16 years, she was a pound dog and was 9 weeks old when I first got her.

I'm a grown man, I've seen all forms of horror and it never bothered me. Today however, I believe has scarred me permanently. To be there when she went under holding, her paw and talking to her as her life slipped away, was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever had to do. I'm not sure I will ever get over it.

Sophie, my gentle friend, Rest In Peace x

IMG_0511.jpg

• Advertisement

dmcar02 wrote: »
    To be there when she went under holding, her paw and talking to her as her life slipped away, was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever had to do. I'm not sure I will ever get over it.

Many people can't bear to to do this and it is hard but take solace in the fact that she knew you were there with her all along and would never leave her side.

I'm very sorry for your loss. RIP Sophie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

dmcar02 wrote: »
    To be there when she went under holding, her paw and talking to her as her life slipped away, was the most heartbreaking thing I have ever had to do. I'm not sure I will ever get over it.
    Aw what a heartbreaking post, so sorry OP. Comfort yourself in the fact that what you did for her (giving her a very dignified and peaceful end) is probably the best thing as owners we can do for our pets. When they need us most, we're there for them. You wont stop missing her, but it will get easier. I look at my dogs photo now and smile, rather than well up which i think i did for about a year after she died.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Aw what a heartbreaking post, so sorry OP. Comfort yourself in the fact that what you did for her (giving her a very dignified and peaceful end) is probably the best thing as owners we can do for our pets. When they need us most, we're there for them. You wont stop missing her, but it will get easier. I look at my dogs photo now and smile, rather than well up which i think i did for about a year after she died.

I held onto my dog Sheeba while she had her leg shaved and was given the injection. I felt very emotional but the vet and staff were very good and told me I could stay with her as long as I needed to. They sent me a condolence card too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭RossPaws

I held onto my dog Sheeba while she had her leg shaved and was given the injection. I felt very emotional but the vet and staff were very good and told me I could stay with her as long as I needed to. They sent me a condolence card too.

Can I just ask, what vet was that? Because we had a very bad experience when Lenny was being pts with our vets, so much so that we've since switched and now go to Cara Vets out in Blanch.

RossPaws wrote: »
    Can I just ask, what vet was that? Because we had a very bad experience when Lenny was being pts with our vets, so much so that we've since switched and now go to Cara Vets out in Blanch.

It was Hillcrest in Clonsilla. I have been going there for years.

joolsveer wrote: »

It was the same for me with Rocky and it all happened so quickly. He just slipped away in a second and I was thinking to myself "keep it together, keep it together" but no such luck and the vet just said I'll give you a minute and left. They were understanding, didn't try to console us and left us in peace. I was grateful for that.
    RossPaws wrote: »

I don't mean to pry, but in what way did you have a bad experience with your vet. It's already horrible enough experience for owners without hassle from the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

One of my feral cats, Lola, had to be put down today. We got her neutered along with her sister, Chip, and took care of them (as much as you can take of a feral cat). Sadly when we brought their mother, Smudge, to be neutered it turned out she had a very bad leg and she had to be put to sleep.

Lola was three and she developed a hernia. I can't imagine how much pain she was in but I'm glad she's not in it anymore and now she's on rainbow bridge with her mammy. I'll miss her terribly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

This is my cat Girlie who 'went missing' on the 15th July 2010. In this pic she was just back from the vets after having been on IV fluids, she looks skinny and her paw is shaved.
    Much later found out someone had knocked her down (unsure if malicious or not and don't want to know tbh with the type of person it is). I missed her terribly and almost a year later a neighbour was looking for a home for an almost white female kitten. So I have a cat that looks a lot like her (but is much bolder!) New cat is also an indoors cat, needless to say. R.I.P. Girlie xx

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

My beloved Gráinne died yesterday (10th Sept 2012) and words just cannot describe how heartbroken I am. I first held her when she was 8 weeks and one day old and last held her yesterday when she died in my arms. My old girl was blind, deaf and arthritic but her heart was strong. Sadly, even with her mile wide stubborn streak and obvious desire to stay with me she couldn't fight off the tumor that shut down her digestive system. My one consolation is that she spent her last 24 hours in no pain, held in my arms as we tried to give each other enough cuddles and rubs to last a life-time.

For 16 years she was by my side through joy and pain. She gave me strength when I was weak, hope when life was bleak and howls of laughter at her bossy antics and single minded determination. I brought her to Australia and back, swam with her in the Atlantic and the Pacific, rescued her when she got herself stuck up a tree chasing a lizard, fished her out of countless ponds, argued with her, played with her, unsuccessfully tried to convince her I was the 'boss' - she's just look at me, smile, then make me get up to open the door for her.
    She had that unique ability to win the hearts of even those who claim they hate dogs.

Whenever people met me they would always ask 'where's Gráinne?' 99 times out of a 100 she was with me. Being charming to everyone so I didn't have to be. She was my better half and I feel so utterly lost without her in my world.

260161_10151149040539313_524716221_n.jpg

523462_10151157432004313_193341824_n.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Banna, so sorry to here about grainne it seems ye had a great full life together, may she rest in peace with all the hugs and kisses you gave her.

Advertisement