Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 willonzo

http://youtu.be/4SDdWVMDqGY

Hi all, I opened a thread recently for my dog Ollie asking for advice on how to deal with his slipped disc. Well, it turned out the disc was prolapsed and there was nothing else to be done.

Ollie had only been with us for a short while, less than two months, but he managed to make himself a part of our family all the same. The house just doesn't feel the same without him. Every day I come home from work, I expect to see him trotting out to meet me with his tail wagging. I really miss taking him for walks, scratching behind his ears and completely failing to get him to fetch...

I won't say it was a difficult decision in the end. All he wanted to do was run around the garden, dig his hole by the wall, sniff around the fence and chase away magpies. Not being able to do those things was making him miserable and he was clearly distressed by his condition. Also it was getting impossible for us to give him the proper care he needed. But bringing him to to the vet on the last day was the most heartbreaking thing I've ever had to do.

Have to thank the staff at Anicare Vets in Clontarf. They were very understanding and helpful. I stayed with him to the end and they let me say my goodbye in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

What a handsome chap, RIP Ollie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

willonzo that video was AMAZING! What a character :D Loved the ball shots that went completely unnoticed by him lol.You knew your dog better in 2 mths better than many people would be able to in 15 years. RIP Ollie :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

I read this post of the day http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80820927 20 minutes before I had to go basketball training and it made think 'Aww I'll bring my dog for a quick walk before I go'

That was the last time I got to walk her. She was stolen a few hours later.

I couldn't believe how a rottweiler could let herself get stolen but apparently there are people going around my area spraying dogs with something to knock them out and taking them to Dublin to sell them. It sickens me what people will do for money, taking a family member away that we had for 6 years.

I suppose it's good that I'm not saying R.I.P Holly but it feels the same. I just hope she's treated well.

I'll miss you jumping up at the side gate when you hear me pull into the drive, getting giddy when you know you're going for a walk and spinning in circles, coming out of your kennel when you wake up and stretching before you jump up on me, going crazy trying to rip up your green bedding sheet. I'll just miss knowing that there's nothing to see when I look out the back garden and not hearing you run to the door when you hear it open.

I could go on all day saying what I'll miss about you. I love you Holly.

25072012013_thumb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

i am so sorry,my heart goes out for u,please god u may see her again,fcking scum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I read this post of the day http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80820927 20 minutes before I had to go basketball training and it made think 'Aww I'll bring my dog for a quick walk before I go'

That was the last time I got to walk her. She was stolen a few hours later.

I couldn't believe how a rottweiler could let herself get stolen but apparently there are people going around my area spraying dogs with something to knock them out and taking them to Dublin to sell them. It sickens me what people will do for money, taking a family member away that we had for 6 years.

I suppose it's good that I'm not saying R.I.P Holly but it feels the same. I just hope she's treated well.

I'll miss you jumping up at the side gate when you hear me pull into the drive, getting giddy when you know you're going for a walk and spinning in circles, coming out of your kennel when you wake up and stretching before you jump up on me, going crazy trying to rip up your green bedding sheet. I'll just miss knowing that there's nothing to see when I look out the back garden and not hearing you run to the door when you hear it open.

I could go on all day saying what I'll miss about you. I love you Holly.

25072012013_thumb.jpg
    PizzamanIRL I'm so sorry to hear this. It's horrendous.
    Do you mind measkig if she is neutered. Please keep an eye on donedeal etc. I will defo krep an eye myself. Don.t stop believing. Please update us. God blesss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

falabo wrote: »
    PizzamanIRL I'm so sorry to hear this. It's horrendous.
    Do you mind measkig if she is neutered. Please keep an eye on donedeal etc. I will defo krep an eye myself. Don.t stop believing. Please update us. God blesss.

No she wasn't neutered, why?

Thanks alot, I'll do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SmoMo

No she wasn't neutered, why?

Thanks alot, I'll do that.

Since your dog is not neutered they could use her now as a breeding machine to get some money out of her:(. I really do hope you will get the dog back so fingers crossed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

Myler my mams cat has been gone for 3 days now. His sister did the Same thing 12 months ago and was found dead nearby later so we know he's gone off to join her.
    It's so sad though. We got them 10 years ago and they were a year old. They came together, the sanctuary wouldn't separate them so they both came home with us.
    Fabio and Myler :)
    I feel so bad for my mam as she was so close to Myler, he was her friend. She called him Fred and he'd sit at her feet in the evening while she watched Corrie :)

RIP to you both wherever you are, i hope yous are lounging somewhere with lots of belly rubs and bowls of milk xxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Melita was put to sleep this morning.

melita.jpg

Bray\Wicklow County Council didn't have a rehoming procedure for the pets of deceased tenants at the time she was given to us, roughly ten years ago. A friend of my Mum's picked her up and passed her on to us.

A right brat at first, she was ferile, most likely 100% outdoors, with human feedings. She stayed, burrowed, under a seat cover for about a year or so, there wasn't much warmth from her. We never really caught her using her litter, or eating much, when we were around.

We were a bit puzzled about the type of animal we had taken on.

Fast forward a few years. Cleopatra of the house..

Because of her progressive\eventual deafness, she had a descending howl of a meow that would have made a Jazz trumpeter envious.

A real character. Pushy Madam. Belly rubs and foot pad massages gladly accepted. I was the only one that could carry her about, her 'mittens' tucked in on my arm and a big cheesy cat grin.

A real softie to us, but always had an edge to her, very proud of her gardens, front and back. God help any foxes or neighbouring cats that ventured too close.

Her kidneys gave out in the last week and her decline was brisk, today would have been the last 'normal' day in her composure.. and it felt right to bring things to a dignified end.

She was already getting on in years when we got her.

I like to think we gave her a good life.

I will miss her terribly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭callmekenneth

best dog ever, gone a couple of months now.

hdpdt.jpg

davvj.jpg

f7aua.jpg

tfuT6.jpg

AjTwf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

best dog ever, gone a couple of months now.

hdpdt.jpg

davvj.jpg

f7aua.jpg

tfuT6.jpg

AjTwf.jpg

What a smile!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

we had to make the heartbreaking decision today to let our beloved squirell go, he as only sick since monday but there was nothing more the vet could do for him, I just cant believe hes gone the drive up from college to say goodbye was a complete blur i think I cried the whole way from carlow to wicklow:(

Rest in peace sweetheart no more pain no more suffering and your back with your buddy holly

DC41B1D5F76C49E1A3BC139DD869246F-0000340542-0003025836-00240L-00000000000000000000000000000000.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

121909.jpg

Poor fluffy passed away last weekend. He was nearly 6.
    Took bad in the middle of the week. Got anti biotics from the vet on Wednesday & he really perked up for a few days.
    He had a relapse on Saturday evening & he passed away soon after we got him on the vets table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

photo.php?fbid=10151036177017998&set=a.10151036167132998.431394.590947997&type=3&theater

RIP Alvin, my partners family dog, and my adopted furbaby. Wasn't himself, and unfortunately didn't wake up from the anesthetic they gave him to take an X-Ray. Poor little pet had a massive brain tumor at only 4 years of age.
    Run free little man, glad we all got to give you cuddles before you left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    photo.php?fbid=10151036177017998&set=a.10151036167132998.431394.590947997&type=3&theater

RIP Alvin, my partners family dog, and my adopted furbaby. Wasn't himself, and unfortunately didn't wake up from the anesthetic they gave him to take an X-Ray. Poor little pet had a massive brain tumor at only 4 years of age.
    Run free little man, glad we all got to give you cuddles before you left.

Ah shashabear sorry to here, poor Alvin taken to young rest in peace little fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭opti76

Its almost 2 am as I write this.. normally sleep isn’t an issue.. but tonight it eludes me.. I don’t know why as the decision has been made for the best .. I know its for the best as hes in pain .. for the last 18 years he’s been my friend .. ya weve had him 18 years but we dont know how old he is .. it always felt rude to ask.. from the day he followed me home from training well I say followed but I mean coaxed he instantly became one of the family. He was brought everywhere Mitchelstown caves been there done that .. out to see fungi ya done… aquariums,, Shandon … youghal beach .. he was there by my side with a cold nose and a wag of his tail.

He was mad like .. he got his name from eating a football sticker of a QPR PLAYER …rufus brevitt. He loved annoying cats.. and his comfort…

But 18 years is a long time and for the past 6 we’ve been told he’s gone beyond his sell by date . one question is asked in response.. is he in pain?

The answer has always been no… until today.

He's been my hairy little brother.. the little brother that loved to fight .. he got ripped open by a Doberman… 86 stitches no problem he was chasing cats again the next day.

When my dad was attacked by a pit bull.. he attacked the pit bull… and stood in between my dad and 4 stone of teeth and muscle…

When my son annoyed him he ****ed off upstairs rather than be dealing with that ****.

His nose was warm this morning .. I still got a lick … it broke my heart … he's tired.. that’s all .. he needs a sleep a good long sleep and when he’s rested he’l play again

Im in bits … but i brought him home 18 years ago.. Il bring him home again this morning…

People will say jesus its only a dog … those people will never understand.

You’re a good boy… il see ya soon. one last hug and a wag of a tail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

he sounds like an amazing dog and i love the way you've decribed him, so full of personality. 18 years is a long, long time to have such a wonderful animal in your family's life and don't even entertain people who'd say ''it only a dog''. i'm so sorry for your loss, opti76. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Heartbreaking thread is heartbreaking.

:'''(

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

My brave and handsome Bobby who was taken from me far too soon. He came home one day with a shattered leg, I got him the best treatment possible, he regained full use of that leg. But one horrible day I got a phone call from a stranger saying that my beloved Bobby had been knocked down and killed. My heart broke to pieces and I will never forget him and the bond we shared.

Image009.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

sarahbro wrote: »
    Myler my mams cat has been gone for 3 days now. His sister did the Same thing 12 months ago and was found dead nearby later so we know he's gone off to join her.
    It's so sad though. We got them 10 years ago and they were a year old. They came together, the sanctuary wouldn't separate them so they both came home with us.
    Fabio and Myler :)
    I feel so bad for my mam as she was so close to Myler, he was her friend. She called him Fred and he'd sit at her feet in the evening while she watched Corrie :)

RIP to you both wherever you are, i hope yous are lounging somewhere with lots of belly rubs and bowls of milk xxxxx
    Just remembered this post!
    Myler turned up last week like nothing had happened!xxx

opti76 wrote: »
    Its almost 2 am as I write this.. normally sleep isn’t an issue.. but tonight it eludes me.. I don’t know why as the decision has been made for the best .. I know its for the best as hes in pain .. for the last 18 years he’s been my friend .. ya weve had him 18 years but we dont know how old he is .. it always felt rude to ask.. from the day he followed me home from training well I say followed but I mean coaxed he instantly became one of the family. He was brought everywhere Mitchelstown caves been there done that .. out to see fungi ya done… aquariums,, Shandon … youghal beach .. he was there by my side with a cold nose and a wag of his tail.

He was mad like .. he got his name from eating a football sticker of a QPR PLAYER …rufus brevitt. He loved annoying cats.. and his comfort…

But 18 years is a long time and for the past 6 we’ve been told he’s gone beyond his sell by date . one question is asked in response.. is he in pain?

The answer has always been no… until today.

He's been my hairy little brother.. the little brother that loved to fight .. he got ripped open by a Doberman… 86 stitches no problem he was chasing cats again the next day.

When my dad was attacked by a pit bull.. he attacked the pit bull… and stood in between my dad and 4 stone of teeth and muscle…

When my son annoyed him he ****ed off upstairs rather than be dealing with that ****.

His nose was warm this morning .. I still got a lick … it broke my heart … he's tired.. that’s all .. he needs a sleep a good long sleep and when he’s rested he’l play again

Im in bits … but i brought him home 18 years ago.. Il bring him home again this morning…

People will say jesus its only a dog … those people will never understand.

You’re a good boy… il see ya soon. one last hug and a wag of a tail.

opti76, I don't know what to say. Tears are streaming down my face as I read your post. I lost my best friend of 16 years ago last month and miss her every day but am now able to remember the wonderful times we had without blubbing too much. There is nothing I can say that will make you, or anyone who has lost a treasured friend, feel better but be assured you are not alone and no-one here would ever think 'just a dog or cat or rabbit...'. We know what is means to love and be loved and how deeply the loss hurts.

If I could ask for peoples 'good vibes' for Gillie a rescue dog I rehomed on Monday. Gillie has been very badly abused in her short life (evidence of her snout broken, cigarette and electrical wire burns on her belly and face :mad:) and is fighting for her life at the vets as she has a serious infection. Finger's crossed she will pull through and live a long life of joy, adventure and safety that she deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Opti76, Im so sorry to hear about your good friend. Sounds like you had great times together. It will be nice to look back and remember all the fun times you had.

I arrived home today to find my budgie of 10yrs called Louis had died. Will miss him.

223014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Opti76, am a man of 46 yrs, am in at work at the moment, ha am crying as i read ur post, i dont know what to say to u its not a dog my cocker spaniel is 7 she is my best friend no matter what i do she loves me there never just a animal god bless op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

my dog spot died on the 30th of september this year. just a few days ago. got hit by a car. i am devastated. my dad got him 8 years ago and my dad died last year. i looked after my dad he had cancer and the three of us had a great old time together. spot made us laugh so much he should have been on the telly!! i decided to go out on the night he died sunday night cos i couldnt bare to stay at home. word got round that my dog died and people made fun of me in the pub. i had to bury him monday morning and i cried and cried when i did it. in his grave i put his squeaky bone his football his bowl and his collar and lead. later on that day i walked the route that me and spot would normally take and told a lady who lived along that route about spot. a tesco delivery mad was there and he laughed in my face. at least my dog is reunited with my father in heaven.

my dog spot died on the 30th of september this year. just a few days ago. got hit by a car. i am devastated. my dad got him 8 years ago and my dad died last year. i looked after my dad he had cancer and the three of us had a great old time together. spot made us laugh so much he should have been on the telly!! i decided to go out on the night he died sunday night cos i couldnt bare to stay at home. word got round that my dog died and people made fun of me in the pub. i had to bury him monday morning and i cried and cried when i did it. in his grave i put his squeaky bone his football his bowl and his collar and lead. later on that day i walked the route that me and spot would normally take and told a lady who lived along that route about spot. a tesco delivery mad was there and he laughed in my face. at least my dog is reunited with my father in heaven.

Take no notice of the ignorant thrashmetalfan. Any fool can laugh - it takes a real man to cry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Take no notice of the ignorant thrashmetalfan. Any fool can laugh - it takes a real man to cry.

thank you very much bannasidhe. unfortunately i am not very popular where i live and spot was my only pal. i appreciate your kind words. its nice to know there are kind caring compassionate people out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

thank you very much bannasidhe. unfortunately i am not very popular where i live and spot was my only pal. i appreciate your kind words. its nice to know there are kind caring compassionate people out there.

It's terrible to lose one of your best friends, I'm in my 40's and always had pets cats and dogs, the house is never the same when there not around!!! if I was you I'd get another little buddy straight away it's not gonna take away anything from spot but in the long run it will ease the pain a small bit.

It's terrible to lose one of your best friends, I'm in my 40's and always had pets cats and dogs, the house is never the same when there not around!!! if I was you I'd get another little buddy straight away it's not gonna take away anything from spot but in the long run it will ease the pain a small bit.

Wise words. I swore I would never get another dog but here I am with a rescue dog who needs a good home after years of abuse.

There are animals out there who really need someone like metaltrashfan to be their friend and look out for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Gillie has been very badly abused in her short life (evidence of her snout broken, cigarette and electrical wire burns on her belly and face :mad:)

This makes me so ****ing angry. I'm normally anti-war/violence but there's something about wanton cruelty to animals that gets the vigilante blood boiling in my veins (that animals can't tell anyone perhaps? idk).

*Fuming* :mad:

Anyhoo, best of luck with the new pooch and at least the poor thing will be cared for now. I must stop coming to this thread because it honestly chokes me up every time. :(

Advertisement