Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Panda, one of my rabbits, was killed in the garden last night :(

She was out of the hutch, when all of the sudden, I heard some terrible screams. I was lying down at that moment with some back pain, so I needed about a minute to get there.

Too late, she was lying on her side, no sign of life, blood coming out of her ears and neck.

The other bunny was hiding in the hutch, shaking. My young Tom (7 months old) hiding under the table in the kitchen, the older Tom (2.5 years) following me into the garden, very carefully, then sitting on the back wall, looking down the lane, growling...as if he saw something.

I'm just devastated right now :(

R.I.P., little girl, I hope, you will be in a better world now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭thrashmetalfan

It's terrible to lose one of your best friends, I'm in my 40's and always had pets cats and dogs, the house is never the same when there not around!!! if I was you I'd get another little buddy straight away it's not gonna take away anything from spot but in the long run it will ease the pain a small bit.

thanks for the reply tipperary. i appreciate that but since my father is no longer with me i dont think i will. when my and my dad were together there was always at least someone in the house keepin an eye on spot and keepin him company but now he is gone it would not be fair on any new little fellah if i spent time away from home. dogs get lonely too and a puppy on his/her own would not be right. and i am thinking of packing up and moving anyway. but thank you for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

My beloved cat Duchess had to be put to sleep this morning. She had been diagnosed with chronic renal failure nearly two years ago and took a really bad turn. We got her when she was a kitten, we rescued her from bad owners and she has been with us for sixteen years. I've never had to put an animal to sleep and I'm still unable to stop crying.

I was very young when we got her so I hardly know life without her. She's with her son Rio, who passed away in 2006 by an unknown cause. I'm going to miss her so much. This morning she was in my arms, curled up and alive. Now she's gone and it's so difficult, it's hard to think of ever moving past this.

Duchessinabag_zpsdbea72fe.jpg

i am very sorry about your loss lorrs33 duchess and rio are in a better place now. i cried when my dog spot died two weeks ago. i am heartbroken because he is gone from me and i miss him loads just like you do with duchess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Sarsippius

Sorry to hear that mate.

I have 2 cats at home which I got 7 years ago when we moved into our house. I have to say I was never really a cat lover but the missus got them. Anyway they are well and truly part of the house now and its hard to imagine life without them.

Anyway we got a kitten 2 years ago from the DSPCA. He was large than life and a big hit in the house. Unfortunately he was knocked down last year and died at the vets. I buried him in our back garden that night and can't recall feeling any worse in recent times than I did that night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Ah lorrs33, so sorry to here about your beautiful duchess, what a handsome cat r.i.p. had to put two dogs and one cat to sleep over the years and still think of them today.....

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

thank you very much bannasidhe. unfortunately i am not very popular where i live and spot was my only pal. i appreciate your kind words. its nice to know there are kind caring compassionate people out there.
    Yes, take no notice of ignorant people. Pubs are fine - it's the clientele! Lost one of our dogs a couple of monts ago after 15 great years. Desperately missed. Best wishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭robertxxx

My little lad passed away a few months ago.

CIMG1973.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Our beautiful baby Zowie passed away early this morning following a brave battle with cancer. We are absolutely heartbroken and it's impossible to imagine life without her as she was the life of our house and the best friend you could ever hope for. She was only 5 and a half but she gave us the best 5 and a half years we could have asked for. Thank you for being our best girl!! We love you forever and ever Zow.XxX.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

jellybear wrote: »
    Our beautiful baby Zowie passed away early this morning following a brave battle with cancer. We are absolutely heartbroken and it's impossible to imagine life without her as she was the life of our house and the best friend you could ever hope for. She was only 5 and a half but she gave us the best 5 and a half years we could have asked for. Thank you for being our best girl!! We love you forever and ever Zow.XxX.

jellybear. I am so sorry for your loss. All I can say is that, in time, the pain will ease and you will be able to remember Zowie and her antics with a smile. She will always be in your heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Bannasidhe wrote: »

jellybear. I am so sorry for your loss. All I can say is that, in time, the pain will ease and you will be able to remember Zowie and her antics with a smile. She will always be in your heart.

Thank you for your kind thoughts! Luckily we are an animal mad family and still have eleven wonderful babies to love and care for but Zowie was so, so special it will take a very, very long time for the pain to ease. Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

It's almost two years since I lost my sidekick, and the pain does lessen...but she's never far from my mind, and always in my heart.

I used a quote from Shadowlands (end scene) on her memorial photo and I would like to share it with you all:

"The pain now is part of the happiness then. That's the deal"

Also, I know we cannot post links here, but there's a video on youtube and afaik its called "'til then" or "until then" - its a lovely tribute and video of comfort for those who have lost their pets. You will cry your eyes out, but that's part of the healing. If we are sad that they've gone its only because we were so happy they were here - the pain now is part of the happiness then.

XXX

To my Marky Greeny, the best budgie ever, who died on Friday morning at 11 years old, and Xsara the Lab who died on Tuesday at 15 years old, buried together now in the middle of our paddock. All the special ones I lost over the years, George my cat who died on 13/12/11 (good man George, what a date!), my most precious horse Harvey who died in 2009; I'm not gonna spam up this thread with pics of all the little ones I've lost over the years! So many dogs, cats and horses, and budgies too, who made my life so much richer by being a part of it.

Edited to add picture of Marky back when he was only 2 years old. Cutie.
    marky.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Bernice101

My beautiful Bernice was put to sleep today because of blindness due to cataracts. He had a wonderful 15 years of life and brought us much happyness. Although, in his last 6 weeks or so he was very happy when sleeping inthe hay or being held, his blindness caused him distress when he had [on occasion] to come over to the house enquiring after his breakfast - or move about on some other mission - and thus had to leave the security of his hayshed. He wouldn’t have been happy if we tried to contain him in an enclosed area, he was always a free cat, just unfortunately in complete darkness and I feel it would have been a selfish move to try to contain him when all he knew was freedom.

We decided it was best to put him to sleep because he had to cross a road (albeit a quiet one) to get to the house, so he could have gotten killed by a car, mauled by a passing dog or get lost somewhere. He was going to go sometime, had complete loss of vision, bad hearing also, so we felt it best if we stepped in and made it peaceful and dignified, which it very much was, no distress, no pain, simply slipped away. Vet happened to be working nearby, so he was put to sleep at home.

He was a real family pet, each day he would wait patiently outside the door to be noticed and invited inside, so I’ve put up a pic of him waiting outside the door.

Hell he even is my username!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

If anyone is interested, there is a really good support site here:

www.theralphsite.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭belongtojazz

dscf2481rg.jpg

20513210151400736098064.jpg

Goodnight sweet Minnie, my dad fought me for you since the summer and it looks like he won this battle. You were an absolute sweetheart of a dog who was adored by so many people and your chatty voice and wonderful waggy tail are going to be hugely missed. Little Minnie was only about 7 but for some reason she was just plagued with health issues. We tried really hard to find out what was going on with her but unfortunately we just couldn't get the pain under control.
    Minnie was heartbroken when my dad passed away in May. They were utterly devoted to each other and she never really recovered. So now they're back together and I'm sure they're having a great catch up.

Gonna miss you Minnie moo moo, give my dad a hug xx

dscf2481rg.jpg

Goodnight sweet Minnie, my dad fought me for you since the summer and it looks like he won this battle. You were an absolute sweetheart of a dog who was adored by so many people and your chatty voice and wonderful waggy tail are going to be hugely missed. Little Minnie was only about 7 but for some reason she was just plagued with health issues. We tried really hard to find out what was going on with her but unfortunately we just couldn't get the pain under control.
    Minnie was heartbroken when my dad passed away in May. They were utterly devoted to each other and she never really recovered. So now they're back together and I'm sure they're having a great catch up.

belongtojazz. I am so sorry you have lost your friend.
    I don't know what to say except that all of us here understand and grieve along with you for we know your pain.v

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

One of my cats died suddenly today, never the healthiest of animals and a frequent visitor to the vets.

RIP dear friend, and may you find healthier times now.

Stheno wrote: »
    One of my cats died suddenly today, never the healthiest of animals and a frequent visitor to the vets.

RIP dear friend, and may you find healthier times now.

Really Sorry to hear that Stheno.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Unfortunately I have recently had reason to visit this thread :( I would like to tell the story of my dearly loved cat who I had to make the painful decision to put to sleep last week.

We became owners of two scraggly, smelly kittens, a male and a female, in a Tesco car park in August 2011. They were only about 6 or 7 weeks old, the owners wanted rid of them so I was delighted to offer them a loving safe home. For the first few weeks I had to syringe feed them kitten milk and give them baths in the sink. As they grew and became a little more independent they would walk through the milk bowl and stand in it drinking! We had so many comical moments with them. I kept them in the house for a long time as we live on a busy road but by spring time they became inquisitive of the open door so I let them out. They were very cautious at first, especially the girl but they soon grew more confident and started to stay out at night. The following day they would sleep off their antics on one of the beds, I often thought it would be great to have a tracking device put on them to see where they would go on their treks!

Over time their personalities emerged, the boy was the aloof one, not interested in hugs or kisses and would growl at his sister at mealtimes, so mush so that they had to be fed separately so I could be sure that she was getting fed as she wouldn't fight back. Her gentle nature continued to shine through, at the time we got the kittens my youngest had just turned three and she carried the girl around like a rag doll, and she never complained, in fact she purred the whole time!! Whereas the boy would be having none of it! The nights she didn't go out she would sleep in someones bed. IN the bed, not on top, but in! She loved to be as close to the person as possible, when she got too hot she'd move outside the covers for a bit but she always ended up back in.

Last Tuesday was the last time I let her out of the house. I came home from college and she was nowhere to be seen, nothing unusual there but that night she didn't come home. By Wednesday afternoon I was worried, and by Thursday I was frantic. I done up several posters to put in the shops and post office on Friday morning. This was the longest she had ever stayed out and my mind was thinking terrible things. Something told me to have another look in the garage before I brought the kids to school, I went in, looked around a corner and there she was looking up at me. I lifted her up but noticed her back legs were dangling, I tried to set her down, but it was no use, the back legs were gone and she was urinating freely. I ran to the house, told the kids I found her, rang the vet who is 45 minutes drive away and she told me to bring her in. We put her on a warm blanket and into a box, I dropped the kids to school and me and my little pet drove to the vet with her in her box fastened into the front passenger seat. I petted her and told her we would get her fixed. She never purred. My baby always purred.

We got to the vet, as she was being examined she was purring for Ireland. The examination was pretty clear that there was no hope for her and the only option was to put her down. For my own accepting of it I needed to be certain so I asked for x-rays to be done. At this point I was completely calm and together. I have lost pets before, but never had I a pet who touched me as much as she did. The vet said the would call me with the results in half an hour. As I was walking out the door I thought to myself that I would go and visit a relative who lives nearby. I got into the car and the floodgates opened, I couldn't control the torrent of tears that came pouring out. I was devastated. Devastated for her, for me and for my children. That morning when I found her, I never imagined it would come to this. But I still had a glimmer of hope. There was no way I was able to go visiting with the state I was in, so I decided to go to the chapel and light a candle. As soon as I got into the car park the flood gates opened again and I knew I was never going to make it into the chapel in any kind of rational state.

After 20 minutes or so the vet called and confirmed what she had already told me. It was hopeless, the only option was to let her go. I cried as I was talking to the vet. I drove back out and told the vet I wanted to take her home for this children to say goodbye. I did this and it was very emotional but I'm glad I done it. I lit the fire and lay her beside it and we stroked to her and talked to her and told her we loved her. She never purred.

I drove back to the vets alone. As soon as I set her on the table, she purred. It was as if she was saying to me; "I know this is where I can get help, thank you for bring me back". I stayed with her while she was put to sleep and I cried in the vets and I cried in the car. And I've been crying every day since. She is buried in our back garden. Her brother, who as I mentioned was always very aloof and not lovable, never purring; is lost without her. He's so sad and I think it's his grief that is compounding mine. As I write this he is lying sleeping on my bed right beside me. He lay beside me on the couch most of the evening, or in front of the fire. And for a cat who never stopped eating his food and anyone elses that he could get his paws on, he's hardly touched a bite. His sadness is breaking my heart.

Tiggy was a very special cat, she loved to love and she loved to be loved. The way she came home is testament to that. She had no use of her back legs or tail; but she managed to drag herself using only her front paws from God knows where; to get back home. I will take huge inspiration from that and she has my utmost respect and pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Hairyprincess I'm really sorry to hear that :( take care x

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Hairyprincess, I am so sorry to hear about little Tiggy, she surely sounds amazing. The way you described them both (and you did it beautifully) you could have been talking about mine. My heart is breaking for you and crying. She is in Puddy Tat heaven and you are better person for have known her and her lovely ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Missy was put to sleep tonight at 8.20pm, she was 16 years old. She was very sick, had an array of health problems and she just kept deteriorating. She was a great cat, grumpy but always up for a neck scratch and when she was younger she used to always follow me and my sister out to play on the green! She still played up until she got too bad.
    You're in a better place now missy - you're back to how you were in your prime! Running around, playing, catching mice and birds, and always on the prowl.

We all love you missy, I hope you know that, we did our best by you.

457012_10151142277725216_1071651015_o.jpg

966_10151094503030216_1782425704_n.jpg

67313_10151142283890216_1153496295_n.jpg

63222_10151142283840216_2068484914_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Not too sure if this is the right place to post this as thankfully the lovable rogue hasn't passed on...

Had a lovely Red Setter, raised from a pup. Unfortunately he grew too large and energetic for him to have any sort of a decent life where he was (long walks just wouldn't cut it and he was far too energetic to let off the lead), so he's now off to become a hunting/farm dog out in Kildare.

I believe he's also being put out to stud so one might imagine he's felt as if he's won the doggy lotto.

Now have a little Pug pup to be raised and hopefully he won't get too energetic to have a proper life where he is.

dscf2481rg.jpg

its very sad when a best friend passes away. my spotty is up in heaven with both my dad and mum and just like your dad and Minnie i am sure Spotty and Dad are having loads of fun up there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

She's been dead three years now, but I think of our old collie Holly who was poisoned and as a result had to be put to sleep. She was a family pet and the first dog I ever had. She was much loved and loved a lot in return. She was 11 years old, but she had more life left in her. It wasn't the end she deserved. I think of her often and miss her a lot. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

RIP Sadie

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Loopie

daver123 wrote: »
    RIP Sadie

Aw daver123 she's gorgeous - like a little fox! Sorry that she's passed away.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Lorrs33

We had our beloved dog Sheba put to sleep on Wednesday morning. It wasn't sudden, we had booked the appointment a week in advance but being prepared doesn't make it any less devastating. She was 15 years old, a Collie X.

We got her when I was just nine years old. A dog across the street had had pups and I cried and cried until my parents agreed to let me have one. I didn't pick her out, the owners did and fate brought us Sheba. She was so full of life and my biggest regret with her was never bringing her on long walks when I was a lazy child and she had energy to burn.

She developed arthritis in her old age, but to add insult to injury, in August of last year we discovered a tumour growing on her mouth. We had it removed but it grew back even quicker. It got so bad that she wasn't able to eat because she kept nicking it. We were hand-feeding her until the end. We're having her cremated. She'll be home with us hopefully next week. She is now with our two cats, Duchess and Rio (also on this thread) on Rainbow Bridge, happy, healthy and running around with other dogs.

I miss them all terribly.

Sheba_zpsfdf8e7d5.jpg

• Advertisement

Lorrs33 wrote: »
    We had our beloved dog Sheba put to sleep on Wednesday morning. It wasn't sudden, we had booked the appointment a week in advance but being prepared doesn't make it any less devastating. She was 15 years old, a Collie X.

We got her when I was just nine years old. A dog across the street had had pups and I cried and cried until my parents agreed to let me have one. I didn't pick her out, the owners did and fate brought us Sheba. She was so full of life and my biggest regret with her was never bringing her on long walks when I was a lazy child and she had energy to burn.

She developed arthritis in her old age, but to add insult to injury, in August of last year we discovered a tumour growing on her mouth. We had it removed but it grew back even quicker. It got so bad that she wasn't able to eat because she kept nicking it. We were hand-feeding her until the end. We're having her cremated. She'll be home with us hopefully next week. She is now with our two cats, Duchess and Rio (also on this thread) on Rainbow Bridge, happy, healthy and running around with other dogs.

I miss them all terribly.

Sheba_zpsfdf8e7d5.jpg

She was a beauty.

Advertisement