Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Mackey when times were good for him, You took a huge part of us with you, You're not alone x

Sleep Peacefully Mackey
    ‘till we meet again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 170 ✭✭Oh hai

dave1982 wrote: »
    Mackey when times were good for him, You took a huge part of us with you, You're not alone x

Sleep Peacefully Mackey
    ‘till we meet again
    Hope you're all doing okay Dave. I know it's a sad time but you did what was right for him. He was a handsome boy.

DrumSteve that was a great post. It's their arsehole traits that make you laugh when you look back I always think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Oh hai wrote: »
    Hope you're all doing okay Dave. I know it's a sad time but you did what was right for him. He was a handsome boy.

DrumSteve that was a great post. It's their arsehole traits that make you laugh when you look back I always think :)

Ha yeah definitely I think in a way its what endears them to us. There are a million other things I could have said about him, but I guess the only one that matters is that we all miss him terribly.

The pic below is the last one I took of him before I carried him into the vet.

Screenshot_2013_03_01_22_37_38.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Its a horrible drive Steve I now exactly how it feels :(

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭JaManSnowFlake

This morning I woke up to find Tina Turner was dead. Tina was a white tropical fish with beautiful iridescence, I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive the red tail shark that bullied her to death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I guessed there would be a thread like this somewhere and while I feel the dog deserves a thread of his own im sure we all feel this way about our own.

I suppose I wasnt big into dogs until i started going out with my GF nearly 4 years ago it was then that I came across Beau and Jody.

243988.jpg

I suppose over the last few years they both grew on me and I grew to love them. Beau the white German shepherd was the smart one and Jody the Golden retriever was his companion. We used to take off to the beach that they loved roaming around freely as it was almost always abandoned.

Beau was great to go for a run with as he had a better fitness level than me but Jody collapsing of exhaustion always saved me as he would slow down to leave her catch breath. Beau never showed any aggression towards humans and was very gentle now it has to be said he was not so friendly to other dogs :o

Over the last 2 months Beau came down with sickness a genetic complaint we found out. It lead to a lot of work by the vets over the last 2 months but it all came to an end yesterday im afraid. I got the call during work and had to leave immediately. I called into the Vets and said my own goodbye before we called back that evening for the final moments.

I have yet to lose a human who meant as much to me been honest. Im not sure that the dog knew it was his final moments I believe he was just overjoyed to see all his friends there at once as this would have been rare. He was so weak that he was gone within seconds of that final injection.

All i know is that I will miss him when the summer evenings kick in when we would have been taking off for a walk. I have to mention Riverside veterinary clinic in Dungarvan and how great the staff were. The Vets had such a high level of intelligence that I was comforted that all possible was done at such a reasonable/discounted price.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Delboy5

Almost 2.5 years ago i created a thread announcing the arrival of my new pup, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69576921

Monday evening we lost our bundle of fun in an accident........the house is so so quiet without her, myself and my wife are just distraught since its happened, our lives revolved around caring for her....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Delboy5 wrote: »
    Almost 2.5 years ago i created a thread announcing the arrival of my new pup, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69576921

Monday evening we lost our bundle of fun in an accident........the house is so so quiet without her, myself and my wife are just distraught since its happened, our lives revolved around caring for her....

:(

Rest in Peace Sookie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

So sorry. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

I'm so sorry too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

RIP Georgie, you were indeed a fabulous beast!

Eyespy wrote: »
    RIP Georgie, you were indeed a fabulous beast!

Certainly was a magnificent creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭Eyespy

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Certainly was a magnificent creature.

Thanks Bannasidhe, Georgie had to be p.t.s. on Friday because of a severely enlarged liver and cancer. He/she had been subdued for a few weeks but really declined since the start of the week. It's hard to get used to the fact that the lights in the viv are out for good now because of the viv's central location in the house. If I'm not thinking I'm inclined to think there's a power outage and go to fill a water bottle to keep him warm.

Despite being of undeterminable sex :D, George could turn heads and although sociable enough was incredibly fickle with his/her affections. He/she loved his food but possibly has an eating disorder to boot as was inclined to stop mid-chew and stare you out of it until you left the room whereupon the food was promptly obliterated. There was also an issue with identity crisis as when let out in the garden would rocket across the grass, tear up the hedge and do his level best impersonation of a chameleon, impossible to find as the only bodypart moving was the swiveling of his eyes. The worst of his behaviour was confined to days when there was no-one in the house. If you made plans to go off for a few hours you could be guarenteed to come home to the most horrific smell imaginable. It took equally as many hours to air the house, while all the time being subjected to a baleful glare from the viv just because you opened the door to remove the cause of said smell.

And yet, Georgie was loved in spite of all this. A constant during my college years, the thing I will probably miss most after G himself was the days I'd be studying or writing assignments in a completely silent house when all of a shot I'd hear a thud as he jumped off his skull and the rasp of his tail as he mooched around the viv.

The house won't be quite the same without you G :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

My little Daisy died suddenly yesterday aged just 3..

63023_10151990359852715_1025317362_n.jpg

My little Daisy died suddenly yesterday aged just 3..

63023_10151990359852715_1025317362_n.jpg

She was so beautiful. Sorry to hear she is gone, but if that photo is any indication - and I bet it is - although her life was short, it was filled with joy and love.

RIP Daisy. :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

RIP Ginger, a sometimes irascible but loyal Jack Russel pet of 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

My 5 year old got a lovely marmalade tom from the shelter last summer. He turned into quite a character and became his loyal companion on walks and at playtime.
    He was missing for a day and when I travelled the country roads looking my worst fears were realised. Killed by a car.
    This was on monday and I have no idea what to tell him as he keeps asking for his cat..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

My 5 year old got a lovely marmalade tom from the shelter last summer. He turned into quite a character and became his loyal companion on walks and at playtime.
    He was missing for a day and when I travelled the country roads looking my worst fears were realised. Killed by a car.
    This was on monday and I have no idea what to tell him as he keeps asking for his cat..

how sad god love him hes only 5 and wants his buddy back

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Four and a half years ago, my then-girlfriend brought home a kitten from the hotel she worked in. She was small and frail and had been hanging around the hotel looking for food, but was extremely affectionate and immediately settled right in. We shared the house with others, and I was very critical of the decision as I didn't want to impose a pet upon others, especially since we had plans to travel. But I quickly fell in love and all was forgotten, and eventually the housemates felt the same. So we had a few years with Kit, a name I picked, until my girlfriend decided to move back to France and I was left alone with her. There was some consideration over sending the cat to France but ultimately we decided it was best for all parties if the cat stayed with me.

Now being 27 years old, male, and being obsessed with a cat, isn't exactly the coolest image to give off. But I didn't really care, she was there for me every time I got home from work and she slept at my feet every night and licked my face as I woke each morning. She had some really funny personality traits, which I won't go into, but suffice it to say I can't walk up the stairs without imagining her attacking my feet from the other side. It's the first time I've had a cat as a pet and I don't think I could have had a better cat. In the past while I've been obsessed by dogs and especially Huskies, having spent some time in northern Sweden last year, mushing. I had a bit of a vision of eventually getting a couple of Huskies, and having Kit keep them in order.

Not really sure what point I'm trying to make here, just trying to put into some words how I'm going to miss her.

I got a text off my dad today to give him a call when I got home. I knew straight away what was going on.

Quite regularly, Kit would be really persistent in wanting to go outside, clawing at the door until she was let out. Because the snow had cleared last night, I let her out. Several times during the evening I tried to call her, but with no luck. As a younger cat, this would have been normal, as she tended to wander quite a lot. But recently she had very rarely strayed beyond shouting distance. I called her about 10 times during the night but there was no response.

Anyway, I guess you know by now where I'm going with this. I'm just glad I didn't find her myself, and from what I've been told she was perfectly intact. All the same, I couldn't bring myself to see her.

So, RIP Kit, and I'm so sorry that you didn't live the full life you deserved and have the dignified death you deserved. You were beautiful, intelligent, funny and affectionate, and I'll never see the likes of you again.

Missing you already, dude.

45194_10151401848932426_452275598_n.jpg

541520_10151367765427426_979643081_n.jpg

312391_10151340502507426_696776552_n.jpg

ab09b0d4922c11e2bf1822000aaa0492_7.jpg

466694aa76e111e28cc022000a1fb854_7.jpg

Also, a friend of mine did this for me tonight. Felt fantastic to be able to laugh tonight.

599826_10151402222072426_1215779063_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

RIP Oscar, a truly lovely Westie. Only 2 years old :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

SteM wrote: »

My sincere condolences from a fellow westie lover :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

far far too young :( I had to put down my Westie too young too due to cancer. Sincerest condolences SteM :( They are such great little personalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭SteM

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    far far too young :( I had to put down my Westie too young too due to cancer. Sincerest condolences SteM :( They are such great little personalities.

I know, way too young. We did everything we could and our vet was great but we just had to make the very hard decision in the end. Our 8 month has been missing him, so have the cats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭DeltaWhite

RIP to my first doggy Susie :( or "Snoozy Susie" as we used to call her :(
    She had to be put to sleep as she had cancer and was suffering which was awful to see! Always miss her and we have a new Yorkie Rosie who is 10 times bolder and so mischievous :)
    Always miss you Susie :)

Ps MrJoeSoap your post got me big time - teary eyed! RIP Kit :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

I know, way too young. We did everything we could and our vet was great but we just had to make the very hard decision in the end. Our 8 month has been missing him, so have the cats :)

Same with our guy, it is so difficult, knowing it is best for them not to suffer, but not wanting to have to say goodbye.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

82490.jpg

Sammy was, most simply put, the life and soul of my family.

Sammy arrived home aged 8 weeks one dark November Friday night in 1996, an early Christmas present for me, aged 6, and my brother, aged 8. He was immediately accepted as a member of the family and gained freedom of the entire house by that Christmas!

A typical black lab, he was terror to my mother, tearing apart countless doormats, stools and even cookery books, not forgetting the afternoon we arrived home to find him with all the washing pulled off the line, and all the buttons pulled off my Dad's shirts!
    He was a gluten for anything remotely considered edible, a champion runner with a true swimmer's heart!:D

Sadly in 1999,Sam's best friend, my brother died suddenly. Sammy was there at the time, and whined for weeks after, constantly seeming to search for my brother.
    From then on, Sammy provided solace and comfort to me and my parents and remained a true friend, providing unconditional loyalty, love and friendship.

He died last Friday, 5th June, 3 months from his 13 birthday.
    As many labs do, he suffered from Arthritis and Laringyl Paralysis and most recently kidney failure. However, despite this his overall spirit and liveliness remained as though he were still 8 weeks old. His health plummeted suddenly over the space of five days, he, for the first time in his life, wouldn’t eat.

I am in France for the summer, for college and was receiving hourly updates on his wellbeing. In the early hours of Friday morning, with his health becoming more and more fragile, I ran to a late night Internet café and booked the next flight home, that Saturday morning, knowing that this would be my final “good-bye”.
    I received a phone call from my Mum on Friday afternoon saying that Sammy died in her arms in our back garden. I was home within twenty hours, heartbroken not to have had a chance to say goodbye to my best friend who has helped our family through so much

Nothing can describe how much Sammy meant to my family.
    I know for sure that I will never love another dog as much as I loved him and I will never receive as much love and support from a dog like I did from him.

Thank you, Sammy for bringing so much happiness to our family.

The feels are just too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Four and a half years ago, my then-girlfriend brought home a kitten from the hotel she worked in. She was small and frail and had been hanging around the hotel looking for food, but was extremely affectionate and immediately settled right in. We shared the house with others, and I was very critical of the decision as I didn't want to impose a pet upon others, especially since we had plans to travel. But I quickly fell in love and all was forgotten, and eventually the housemates felt the same. So we had a few years with Kit, a name I picked, until my girlfriend decided to move back to France and I was left alone with her. There was some consideration over sending the cat to France but ultimately we decided it was best for all parties if the cat stayed with me.

Now being 27 years old, male, and being obsessed with a cat, isn't exactly the coolest image to give off. But I didn't really care, she was there for me every time I got home from work and she slept at my feet every night and licked my face as I woke each morning. She had some really funny personality traits, which I won't go into, but suffice it to say I can't walk up the stairs without imagining her attacking my feet from the other side. It's the first time I've had a cat as a pet and I don't think I could have had a better cat. In the past while I've been obsessed by dogs and especially Huskies, having spent some time in northern Sweden last year, mushing. I had a bit of a vision of eventually getting a couple of Huskies, and having Kit keep them in order.

Not really sure what point I'm trying to make here, just trying to put into some words how I'm going to miss her.

I got a text off my dad today to give him a call when I got home. I knew straight away what was going on.

Quite regularly, Kit would be really persistent in wanting to go outside, clawing at the door until she was let out. Because the snow had cleared last night, I let her out. Several times during the evening I tried to call her, but with no luck. As a younger cat, this would have been normal, as she tended to wander quite a lot. But recently she had very rarely strayed beyond shouting distance. I called her about 10 times during the night but there was no response.

Anyway, I guess you know by now where I'm going with this. I'm just glad I didn't find her myself, and from what I've been told she was perfectly intact. All the same, I couldn't bring myself to see her.

So, RIP Kit, and I'm so sorry that you didn't live the full life you deserved and have the dignified death you deserved. You were beautiful, intelligent, funny and affectionate, and I'll never see the likes of you again.

Missing you already, dude.

I know Wilburs humans, small world :D Sorry to hear about Kit :(

Papillon! wrote: »
    I know Wilburs humans, small world :D Sorry to hear about Kit :(

Wilbur is a celeb these days! Great cat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the death of my old dog Rocky.

Very appropriately, there was a half marathon of Rocky movies on TCM last night, so naturally I stayed in and watched Rocky I, II & III as a kind of tribute to him.

Still thinking of you, Rock. :)

• Advertisement

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of the death of my old dog Rocky.

Very appropriately, there was a half marathon of Rocky movies on TCM last night, so naturally I stayed in and watched Rocky I, II & III as a kind of tribute to him.

Still thinking of you, Rock. :)

Dean Rock scored the winning point for Dublin today too. :)

Advertisement