Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

RIP Max I remember seeing him regularly in the post a pic thread. Fantastic looking dog and some great pictures. Sorry to hear the news about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Thats a beautiful dog you had there Homer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thanks for the responses everyone.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Awwww no way :(:(:( RIP Max. What happened? That is THE most beautiful photo ever and so apt.

A few weeks ago we'd noticed some blood in his pee, stupidly, after it had disappeared a few days later we put it down to a kidney infection (hopefully someone reading this will have thought the same as I did and changed their mind, bring your dog to the vet).

Last week while out cutting my lawn I was doing my usual kicking the dog for Max, halfway through I kicked he fetched doddled back to me and collapsed. Straight to the vets, initially thought it was rat poison but the blood tests would tell us for sure.

Blood test showed it wasn't rat poison but worryingly it showed his red blood cell count was dangerously low. They considered lots of things and said he needed a transfusion but the problem was his body was attacking his red blood cells faster than his body was producing them so a transfusion would be pointless. They done numerous other tests but still had no definitive answer as to what it was. He was put on a drip while in the vets.

We were allowed to take him home on Tuesday hoping he would improve more in his own environment with the steroids to try and build him up again and his blood count up, he didn't improve, in fact he got worse :( He couldn't walk the 10 or so meters outside to go pee and back without fainting. That really broke our hearts.

Yesterday afternoon he was so bad he couldn't lift his head, but still wagged his tail!!! We had to make the decision then when tests showed his blood count was getting worse even after double dosing the steroids. Horrible horrible thing to have to do, but it was for Max's benefit. The Vet told us that it was pretty certain it was a form of leukemia but it was too far advanced for anything to be done...

Just over a week ago he was out chasing the hares and pheasants from the garden and yesterday a lifeless dog barely able to move :(

This morning was really tough, no excited paws running on the floor when he heard me rattling the keys, no pup to give my toast crusts too... but worst of all no Max there to cheer me up when I was often like this (due to depression)

Best dog ever, rescued 5 years ago almost to the day. Miss you Buddy :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

My heart is breaking for you homer simpson. I hope you're okay as I know only too well the love, affection and most of all the friendship you get from your dog and how empty you feel when it is gone. Hopefully one day you'll be able to give another dog a wonderful life like you gave Max. Take care.x.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Beloved Kiki had to be let go yesterday. She was too old and sick and there wasn't anything to be done. No quality of life left to her, and we think she knew that too.

kikisolo_zpse99d4c56.png
    kikiandosky_zps2eb336b1.png

13 years of being part of our family: so clever, full of personality.
    So much more I could say, but I think I will have to leave it there.

IF IT SHOULD BE

If it should be that I grow weak
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then you must do what must be done,
    For this last battle cannot be won.

You will be sad, I understand.
    Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
    For this day, more than all the rest,
    Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years.
    What is to come can hold no fears.
    You'd not want me to suffer so;
    The time has come -- please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
    And please stay with me till the end.
    Hold me firm and speak to me,
    Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
    The kindness that you did for me.
    Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve -- it must be you
    Who had this painful thing to do.
    We've been so close, we two, these years;
    Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

--- Anonymous ---

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Our girl passed yesterday - she was a special dog and a true companion for over 14 years - it's such a hard loss my sympathies to all going through the heartache of missing the unconditional love and trust their pets give xp

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Can't believe I'm posting this in here this morning. Beanie passed away last night and I am just gutted. He was the sweetest, most gentlest cat I've ever met and so much fun. He had a heart made of gold and he has been the bestest little flatmate buddy for the last 3 1/2 years. RIP Beanie, I loved you very much xx

ymz8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

So sorry for your loss anniehoo, I'd been checking the chill out thread all day for an update, didn't expect to see this. :(
    Beanie was such a lovely looking puss, I have a soft spot for gingers, he had a great life with you. Xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

I was checking the chill out thread as well. I am so sorry for your heartbreaking loss. Like every pet owner we all dread the terrible day when our little fur babies leave us. Just know a lot of people feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Anniehoo, what happened to your beautiful Beanie? :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Poor Beanie :(

Anniehoo, what happened to your beautiful Beanie? :(

Sorry if this a bit graphic and maybe a bit too medical,but I like to know the terminology associated as it helps me understand what happened a bit better, so may help someone else someday reading this.

He had an aneurysm in an artery in his neck (the dorsal-cervical artery at the thoracic inlet thrombosed and ruptured causing a hemothorax). He bled into his chest area and went into circulatory collapse. :o There was nothing that could've been done tbh either to save him or prevent it happening.It was just "one of those things" the Pathologist said.He said he's hardly ever seen it in a cat before,but could be just because not that many cat PMs are called for.

The apartment is so quiet without him, it was awful coming home to see his empty bed and his little toys around the place. I'm very glad i got a post mortem done as although he was young, there was nothing i could've done to stop it happening. He's also gone for individual cremation, so i'll get his little ashes back in a tribute box in a week or 2. I was blown away yesterday by all the lovely messages and calls from everyone. He was a very special little cat and everyone (animals included) absolutely loved him. I don't think I've cried this much since my dog died in 2010. Just gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

So sorry for your loss, Anniehoo. It's as bad as losing a best friend.
    He was such a beautiful cat, you must be devastated. Beanie R.I.P.

zef wrote: »
    So sorry for your loss, Anniehoo. It's as bad as losing a best friend.
    He was such a beautiful cat, you must be devastated. Beanie R.I.P.

Thanks zef, he was a special little guy alright. I fought to keep this thread as a sticky awhile ago and I'm so glad I did. I've posted lots about Beanie over the last few years, I just can't believe I had to post his RIP yesterday.

Grief is a "funny" thing and i don't mean this flippantly at all.Longterm posters will know how much Beanie meant to me.I bawled my head off Sunday night, laughed, bawled again,made jokes,talked about his post mortem, cried again etc etc. I literally have gone through the weirdest spectrum of emotions in the last 72hrs.....and I don't really care. :o

I am so SO lucky, to have lots of people around me who understand the joy a cat (or any animal in fairness) can bring to your life.THEY make you love them,not the other way around. Even people who don't "really" get it, gave me a call/text to send their wishes because they knew how much he meant to me.

I got Beanie (settle in folks, it's a long but nice story :P) 2 months after my dog died. I was heartbroken and thought I'd never ever (and swore) i would never feel the utter pit of my stomach,throat lump sobbing grief i felt after my dog died. Horrendous.

But. After 2 months of a clean apartment (boring), petsitting other people's pets etc, i got Beanie (originally called Bernard). Through Boards actually.It was spontaneous...and the best "decision" I ever made :pac:

March 2010 i brought him home and I'll be honest, i thought he was deadly....i liked him a lot, but the "love" really took time.

Over the years,as short as it was, we developed a routine,without me even realising it.It was only 3 1/2 years but feels like longer.It didn't matter what time I was awake or asleep, he was always delighted i was there. I'd hit the hay at whatever time and he'd leg it to one side of the bed or the nearest bed to me and settle down. The alarm would go off in the morning and he'd give me "one snooze" before he was nuzzling for his brekkie. 3 snoozes and there was major head butting going on :D

He wasn't a "meiower". At best, I got a squeak. It made Sunday morning all the more poignant.He yelled his little head off for me to get him. :(

He used to do the cutest little "chatter" looking out the window at the birds he would loved to have catched,he never did until one morning when he gave me a heart attack, and managed to drag a massive magpie into my bedroom.

I think even he was shocked. :pac:

He was my best "fly killer", he'd hear them buzzing before I did.He had a favourite bed,the right one at the window, and I glanced up every morning to look at him as I was going to work. He was there everyday when i got home too,got up from his bed and met me at the door. I didn't even realise how automatic it was until today, when he wasn't there.. gutting :(

He was the sweetest boy (too sweet) and let any other dog or cat I brought home sleep in his bed(s) too. He would literally see a new animal or person walk in the door,take 10 seconds to decide what was going on....and be fine.

I ignored his hints until recently that he wasn't too happy.I complained about the peeing on things,cushion, curtains etc.I posted about this recently and made changes that majorly helped and it was improving.

The big mirror that weighted down his scratching posts,I can now move to wherever I want and his litter trays that I hated cleaning are now empty and there's no granules tracked along the floor,ones i used to instantly sweep up when i came home from work.:o It was so automatic i didnt even realise.

He had a luxated patella in 2011 and by the skin of his teeth avoided surgery, but we did 6 weeks of crate rest and his patella stayed in. He was fantastic.

He adored cheese and tuna,would give anything for a bit of chicken,did the best head rubs,loved rubbing his face on the ground outside and purred to beat the band. There'd be 5 bowls of water in the house and he'd still drink out of my glass.:pac:

The vet asked me to "talk" to him on Sunday and without even thinking i went into the embarrassing high pitched voice you only use at home "hey beanie chops....handsome boy!" and his ears perked forward, a phrase that written down looks silly, but walking in the door this evening I would've given anything to have said it one more time. ;)

This thread means a lot to me folks.Lot's of us lose pets, but sometimes in real life for whatever reason, people around you "just don't get it".They don't understand the bond you have with your animal whether it be a horse or a hamster or anything in between.

It is "OK" to be completely devastated when you lose them,it really is. This is what this thread is for.If nobody around you understands, there are many people who do.I have seen hard as nails men crumble when their dog dies or hate cats but adore the kitten that they've accidentally adopted.

I feel sorry for people who don't love animals, I really do, it's a whole other kind of emotion that I am very glad I can appreciate.

Rest in Peace "handsome boy".....you were an utter joy to have in my life xx

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭snoman

Oh dear, how very, very sorry I am for you. And how our animals complete us and, hopefully, us them. Poor Beanie and poor you. My thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Anniehoo,
    When the departure of our pets is so unexpected is even worse, we have no time to have ourselves prepared to say them good-bye!
    I'm with you and your family :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Thanks for the responses everyone.

A few weeks ago we'd noticed some blood in his pee, stupidly, after it had disappeared a few days later we put it down to a kidney infection (hopefully someone reading this will have thought the same as I did and changed their mind, bring your dog to the vet).

Last week while out cutting my lawn I was doing my usual kicking the dog for Max, halfway through I kicked he fetched doddled back to me and collapsed. Straight to the vets, initially thought it was rat poison but the blood tests would tell us for sure.

Blood test showed it wasn't rat poison but worryingly it showed his red blood cell count was dangerously low. They considered lots of things and said he needed a transfusion but the problem was his body was attacking his red blood cells faster than his body was producing them so a transfusion would be pointless. They done numerous other tests but still had no definitive answer as to what it was. He was put on a drip while in the vets.

We were allowed to take him home on Tuesday hoping he would improve more in his own environment with the steroids to try and build him up again and his blood count up, he didn't improve, in fact he got worse :( He couldn't walk the 10 or so meters outside to go pee and back without fainting. That really broke our hearts.

Yesterday afternoon he was so bad he couldn't lift his head, but still wagged his tail!!! We had to make the decision then when tests showed his blood count was getting worse even after double dosing the steroids. Horrible horrible thing to have to do, but it was for Max's benefit. The Vet told us that it was pretty certain it was a form of leukemia but it was too far advanced for anything to be done...

Just over a week ago he was out chasing the hares and pheasants from the garden and yesterday a lifeless dog barely able to move :(

This morning was really tough, no excited paws running on the floor when he heard me rattling the keys, no pup to give my toast crusts too... but worst of all no Max there to cheer me up when I was often like this (due to depression)

Best dog ever, rescued 5 years ago almost to the day. Miss you Buddy :'(

They say time is a great healer, but its not easy still miss my big edjit Max :(

9368748316_af64fa62c0_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

@homer,

Every one of us who's lost their very special fur baby understands how you feel and, although time is a good healer, you will never forget that connection.

When I start getting a bit weepy thinking about my Molly (RIP), I try to remember the good times we had together and just what a pain in the butt she could be, god bless her!

Maybe you could do the same thing too and if it all gets too much, you can always come here where there's tea and sympathy :)

Mind yourself homer and RIP your beautiful Max.

Homer it's still only so so recent for you, it is completely normal to be missing him like this. Heck i shed a little tear today over Beanie again after finding a little toy mouse belonging to him under the bed. I miss him soooooo much and i'm particularly feeling it this week as the apartment is so quiet without him and Zaffy. It's not to say im not missing Zaffy either, but i only had her 7mths and I was prepared for her to pass, not Beanie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

I am so overcome with grief over the death of my beloved cat Susie who died last week. She had been sick for the past month and only a few days before she passed I discovered she had feline AIDS. I had never heard of this before and despite me bringing her to the vets 2 months they could see anything wrong with her and just gave her a worm dose. She had worsened since then and began to refuse food and water. I rushed her to the vets and she was immediately but on a drip and tests were done to see what exactly was wrong with her. Got a call 3 days before she died that she had feline AIDS and was in complete shock.

All of you cat owners out there, I would advise you to get an FIV test done on your kitty especially if it ventures outdoors.

R.I.P. gorgeous Susie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BullBauld

anniehoo I'm very sorry to hear about Beanie :(
    A beautiful looking cat.

Beanie was myself & Rufus' secret santa the xmas gone by. I hope the few toys gave him plenty of fun times over the last few months.

Sorry again.

BullBauld wrote: »
    anniehoo I'm very sorry to hear about Beanie :(
    A beautiful looking cat.

Beanie was myself & Rufus' secret santa the xmas gone by. I hope the few toys gave him plenty of fun times over the last few months.

Sorry again.
    Was it yourself who got him the reindeer fleece for his bed? Washed and put it away the other day and smiled remembering the first Secret santa he got it from.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭BullBauld

anniehoo wrote: »
    Was it yourself who got him the reindeer fleece for his bed? Washed and put it away the other day and smiled remembering the first Secret santa he got it from.

No it wasn't me that got the fleece.

Alot of reminders around the place I'm sure. It's hard to be positive right now I'm sure but try and remember all the smiles and funny moments Beanie gave you.

BullBauld wrote: »
    No it wasn't me that got the fleece.

Alot of reminders around the place I'm sure. It's hard to be positive right now I'm sure but try and remember all the smiles and funny moments Beaniw gave you.
    Ah sure yeah, janey im getting them all mixed up. He especially loved the big giant black spider toy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Yesterday I was walking a friend's dog and my mum and I remembered a really funny thing that happened to our late dog. I dropped the flexi lead one day and it gave her a fright, and then she ran like the hounds of hell were after her because it rolled back up and she thought it was chasing her! We were in stitches remembering it, and then I realised it was probably the first time we remembered her with such ease, and such joy. The memories are all there, waiting to be enjoyed again, but you have to give yourself time to heal. She is over two years gone from our lives, but never gone from our hearts. When they first pass on, it feels like we will never be able to remember them without being sad! But eventually, we do remember them and smile, and laugh. For so long after she died, I was plagued with recurring images of her last few moments and the illness leading up to it, and I thought I would be bitter forever, but I have a whole treasure chest of memories that I can visit now with a smile, and eventually we will all be able to do this. Take time (as much as you need, its different for everyone) and be easy on yourselves, and remember that they'd want us to make room in our heart for more furries!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Im so sorry to everyone on this thread who has lost a loved one icon9.gif
    junkyard wrote:
    Having read a post of how upsetting it is to loose a pet I decided to start a thread or a " In loving memory" thread if you like for our departed animal friends.
    Im sorry about your puppy....

I miss my kitty so much........ She passed on 2 days before christmas.....

I love you kitty!!!!

Meow icon9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

Homer Simpson, it's been seven years since my dog Charlie died and it's only recently that I can really talk about him without being a blubbering idiot ;-) (Although I still have my moments) I have pictures around the house of him but I can't really yet get myself together to watch videos of him. But, I will one day! Max was a gorgeous dog. He's probably playing with Charlie some place now having a great laugh :-)

I got Beanie's ashes back today :( If anyone wonders what the vessels are like, this is what I got. Its called a "tribute box" and is a 6" x 6" pine box with his name engraved on a gold tag with space to put a photo. It's actually really lovely. Inside his ashes are wrapped neatly in decorative paper.

It probably is a bit odd posting the pic, but might be helpful if anyone is considering the cremation option in the future. I find it much easier to go through this process than burying a pet, but everyones different.

k6cq.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

What a lovely way to remember Beanie. We buried our little one in the garden under her favourite tree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I got the same Little Box when my Westie ( Colleen ) passed over.

I felt a a lot less saddened when I got her ashes and now she is back home where she knows she will always be loved

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Advertisement