Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Kablamo! wrote: »
    My best buddy in the whole world was struck by a car yesterday and died in the middle of the road. She was only two years old. She was a small cat with such a huge character and my home and heart are so empty now. I can't understand this, I'd give anything to have her back.

She was an absolute beauty and I'm terribly sorry to read what happened.
    She will be your guardian angel from up above, when you watch the sky at night, look for her bright eyes among other stars, she'll be there looking over you.

DrWu wrote: »
    An evil neighbor poisoned our three cats a few days ago. The youngest is in the clear, but our other two have had to go back in to the vets with high temperature, runs and vomiting. Any prayers would be greatly appreciated. These guys are very very loved.
    Thanks folks.

I don't understand how people can be so cruel, especially to small and harmless creatures.
    I really do hope that all the three get well soon, but I also do hope that the evil neighbour will pay for his action now, for the rest of his miserable life and even afterlife!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

ojnn.jpg

Buddy, our loveable Syrian Hamster passed away on Sunday. He was sick for a few days (no energy, heavy breathing, though still eating + drinking) but we took him to the vet and put him on antibiotics which gave him a great boost and he was on the road to recovery when he took a sharp turn for the worse on Saturday.

At that point, we knew he was done for (as did the vet) but I was away for the weekend while the GF cared for him. She brought him and his house into the sitting room, wrapped it in a blanket to keep him warm and kept him close to her (she didn't want to move him from inside his hut). He was in a deep sleep all Sunday with no reaction until he suddenly woke up, crawled out, went to the GF and then suddenly died in front of her.

It happened so fast that the GF sent me 2 texts within the same minute along the lines of:

"Buddy just woke up and he's trying to come out to me"

"Oh good!" Says me

A few seconds later:

"He just died, I saw him take his last breaths"

"Fùck!" I then go. :(

It was traumatic for her but she was glad she stayed with him and saw him pass away, she would've been devastated to come back to the house and find that he died alone. I felt bad that I wasn't there.

He's the first to die out of all our animals so it really brought home the reality we'll inevitably have to face with the rest of the little scamps, you just imagine they'll always be there as you're so used to interacting with them everyday.

To many he'd be seen as just a hamster, not on the same level as say a cat or a dog so a person shouldn't be expected to mourn an animal so much but the little fella provided great fun and we had a great bond with him. He always reacted to his name, we knew his personality and bonded extremely well with him, far more than I thought could be possible with a hamster.

We have a lot of animals (10 before he died) and Buddy was the 2nd pet we took in, he signified a lot for myself and the GF's relationship as we had started taking in animals.

He shared the kitchen (It's a big area) with the rabbits, guinea pig, and the dwarf hamsters so he was always there everyday to greet you when he heard you, very friendly animal and never ceased to put a smile on my face no matter how shìt of a day I had. He helped me, and especially the GF through some very tough times.

Occasionally, we'd let him run freely around the hallway without his ball which always got him crazily excited and hyper which was always funny to see.

Guests to the house always remembered him the most out of all the animals because his party piece was watching him fill the pouches in his mouth with his food. :pac:

Coming back the house last night was strange for me, the GF had already cleaned and put away his cage so the void was already there in the kitchen. She wrapped him up in a pillow case and put him in a fancy box so it looked like he was sleeping in a little bed. Was sad to see him in the box considering the last time I saw him was Friday where he was climbing his cage and he let me properly rub him for the first time (he wasn't a big fan of being rubbed normally :P)

Took one last look at him this morning before heading to work, the GF is burying him out in her family house since that where all her previous pets are and I'd prefer it rather than the joke of a garden we have in our rented house.

We'll miss Buddy, the squeak of his wheel in the middle of the night, and seeing him stare at you in his Mr.Burn's posture :D Spoilt rotten all his life and even in death.........his "coffin" is a fancy looking jewellery box the GF didn't use and he's wrapped up inside it like he's tucked under a quilt with his head peaking over it like he's fast asleep.

Was a pleasure looking after him, we didn't think we'd be this sad over losing him.
    q91c.jpg

Buddy was a real beauty indeed, I am so sorry for your loss.
    Whoever thinks that a hamster or a gerbil or a mouse isn't a pet and doesn't leave a mark in our hearts, well they don't understand anything of the life.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

What a cool critter! Sounds like he was much loved. Sorry for your loss Duggy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

sorry for loss duggy

but this post as sad it is to read says a lot about you man your buddies are in a good home

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Thanks guys, we do try our best to give them a great life, slightest whiff of a problem with any of them and we take it very seriously. We tried our best with Buddy but his illness was too much for him in the end, it was the fact that we thought he was getting better but then suddenly got very bad that got us.

Money isn't an object for their well-being, despite neither of us on a great wage.............though within reason, of course. Nothing nutty like buying jumpers for the rabbits or diamond-encrusted beds for the degus while we have to wear potato sacks for clothes :pac:

Took a picture of Buddy in his wee "coffin", one last photo of him. Thought at the time it could've been a bit too morbid to keep but as I kept looking at it throughout today I quickly began to really like the picture. He looked peaceful in it, helped to process quicker that he left us and bring closure on him.

Took many pictures of him from the first night we got him right up until his final resting place. I'm in the middle of shooting a video for the GF's song and Buddy has a noticeable "acting" scene in it which we only remembered afterwards so we're delighted we've some recent good quality footage of him. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,058 ✭✭✭Guffy

We lost ruby 3 years ago and I still think about her. Worst thing is it was mt sisters fault. Let her out when she was in heat and never said it. Puppys died and ruby passed from blood poisoning. No one knew it had happened until it was to late. Here she is aged 9

gufc21 wrote: »
    We lost ruby 3 years ago and I still think about her. Worst thing is it was mt sisters fault. Let her out when she was in heat and never said it. Puppys died and ruby passed from blood poisoning. No one knew it had happened until it was to late. Here she is aged 9

She was of a stunning beauty!
    And this picture is so touching... Looks like human, though saying that an animal is human is an insult to the animal.
    RIP Ruby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭moxin

RIP to the poor dog who was knocked down today. I was driving past after it happened and noticed another driver stopped standing at the side of the road and I saw the poor thing lying on the kerb, will never forget your face lying there. I never knew you but I hope if it exists you're in heaven somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

@duggy- I feel for you. My little Syrian Isabella passed away a few weeks ago, and it's so horrible. They're such funny little feckers, they have real personalities and become part of the family.

Hey maybe him and Isabella are at rainbow bridge together. Isabella probably looking at him weird because she was a diva like that but hey! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Rest in peace Frankie, its only been 38 days since you left us. We miss you more than ever, I am going through the angry stage of grieving but I know if you were here you'd come over and put your head in my arms to say everything will be ok and then annoy me to play football :) I am getting your gorgeous face done on a large canvas next week. Miss you big guy <3 xx

311179_3880746585682_409781928_n.jpg

1377137_10200598491193276_1219961501_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Really hit me today how much I miss my old dog :( I was out raking up some leaves in the garden and realised that the last time I did that I had Scrappy pottering around with me.
    We got her from the pound as a puppy when I was 4 years old, I had been tormenting my mom since I knew how to talk to get me a dog, every day after school I would ask if she got a dog yet, but she always said no. One day after the usual questioning and being told no, she told me to go out to the back garden to say hi to my granduncle, and there in his arms was the post precious puppy I had ever seen! My mom picked her from the pound because she was the only puppy in a pen full of big dogs and she felt sorry for her!
    She was always an outdoor dog, and absolutely hated being inside, but towards the end of her life I used to bring her into the house and give her a good brushing in front of the fire which she absolutely loved.
    We had her for 15 years, she was untrainable, hated other dogs, would pull your arm off when being taken for a walk, but I loved her. Her favourite thing in the world was to be given an empty 7up bottle and she would spend hours mauling it, playing football with it, growling and throwing it around the place. She wouldn't play with any toy that we got her but she loved her 7up bottles.
    I was home from college one bank holiday weekend, and noticed she had been coughing a little bit, so I asked my mom to keep an eye on it and if she was still coughing on the Tuesday to take her to the vets. On Tuesday morning my mom went outside to see how she was, and found her unconscious. She debated whether to bring her to the vet or not, but knowing how much she hated the car she decided to let her live out her remaining time in her favourite spot, her kennel. She sat with her and half an hour later Scrappy took her last breath, she wouldn't have made it to the vet in that time so I think she made the right decision.
    I was in the middle of exams at the time so I wasn't told what happened until I got home that weekend, I was so upset. But Scrappy had the best life we could give her, and I miss her every day even though that was almost 4 years ago now.

scraphat_zps459100d1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

Had a bit of a cry there for the first time in a long while remembering my last chap. Just out of the blue he popped back into my mind :( It's been about a year and a half since he's gone. Still remember him :) Sort of wish he could have met our new addition. They would have hated each other :D
    gavmcg92 wrote: »
    37509475.jpg

you sort of never forget them you just learn to live with the memories I know I do

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭speckledhen

Mr. Jack Thomas, miss all the enthusiastic licks, early morning wake up calls and all the fun xx
    ktvq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Gremlin

God I hoped I wouldn't be posting in this thread but here I am.

charlie.jpg

This is our little man Charlie. When we got him I introduced him in this thread;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72690266

Sadly we lost the little man last week. He was only seven. What started out looking like a simple tummy bug turned out to be hepatic carcinoma. We were absolutely devastated when we found out. We had decided the best course of action was PTS. However the poor little guy didn't even make it that far. Almost a week later my heart is almost breaking typing this. He was the sweetest kindest and most gentle of little souls you could ever meet. Were missing him so much but were very grateful for the three years he brought joy any happiness to us and hopefully it was mutual.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

Gremlin, Charlie was a beautiful dog. Same name as my pal who passed away 7.5 years ago. Very sad time for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

I Had To Get My Beloved Doberman Put to sleep today:(:( 11.5 years old
    such a Great Dog, never once showed any sign off aggression:(
    Had Him Since He Was 6 weeks old.

[IMG][/img]2lkpfyg.jpg

mondeoman2 wrote: »
    I Had To Get My Beloved Doberman Put to sleep today:(:( 11.5 years old
    such a Great Dog, never once showed any sign off aggression:(

so sorry to hear this bad news beautiful looking dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭mondeoman2

jimf wrote: »
    so sorry to hear this bad news beautiful looking dog

Thank You:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

I've been toying with this idea for a while now :(

Just in case anyone missed earlier in the thread our Max left us in July, here is a short somewhat sad but also somewhat happy video I made...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

^ so beautiful, welling up here watching it. He was such a beauty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    My sidekick came to us when she was just ten weeks old. A beautiful lab/setter cross. The most adorable pup you've ever set eyes on. She was mad for the first few years (that'd be the setter!). My first dog and best mate. We had some great times. She loved the water. She'd break the ice to get in, and in fact one day she did just that in Phoenix Park, which resulted in me lying on my tummy trying to pull the daft eejit out :D She lived for the ball, and for us. She'd kill you for a biscuit. Oh and she loved men. Something about their deep voices that got her lol. I remember when the neighbours were building their house, she'd go up every day and spend hours on the site, begging lunch from the workers. When the roof was being built, the man doing it would throw the offcuts of wood into the garden. After a day of doing this...he came down to find them all in a pile at the bottom of the ladder, nicely retrieved and her with a dopey doggy "smile" on her beautiful face. She'd put her ball in the cement mixer - knowing they'd have to take it out and if they did that sure they might as well throw it :) We used to dress her up at Christmas. She hated it. Depressed reindeer we'd call her, and she'd greet everyone at the door with an oversized red coat and crooked antlers - look at what they did to me! :p

A condition called DM (degenerative myelopathy) crept in. She'd always had the gene of course, we didn't know. It develops late. One day we were out walking and I heard a faint scraping of her nail off the ground. There followed a three year battle (hers was always bigger than ours). Physio, hydro, smuggling trial treatments in :p She got Eddie's wheels (amazing) and had a whole new lease of life for about 8 months. Then the disease crept and spread and she lost the use of her front legs. She was incontinent (and on diuretics for a dodgy heart - incontinence + diuretics = fun times :rolleyes:) but I could never make "that" decision for her. I was wracked with guilt. I suppose because she wasn't in pain, and her mind was still perfect and she still had a huge appetite, she loved her evening baths, sitting out in the garden with me playing tug with her bear and cuddles. I think I knew she didn't want to go. She was a trooper and a hero. A day came when she seemed to tire. She lost something, I don't know what it was but I just sort of knew it was time. We organised for a home euthanasia - my only remaining wish for her was not to end her life in the place she hated the most. We collected the sedatives with the idea that we would administer them, and then the vet would call out two hours after and euthanase. I was devastated, and torn and so guilty!

I don't know if she was trying to save us, or if it was gods plan or simply nothing, but she rallied. So, we held off. She improved. We had a short time with her. And then one day shortly after, she was sitting out in the garden in the morning sun and a massive stroke hit. I don't think she even knew what happened. I hope she didn't. I carried her onto my bed and held her. She passed away in less than two minutes. My parents wanted to call the vet but I asked them to just stay with us - I knew it was now her time. I held her and said, "You've always been a great dog. You're a trooper and we love you" and she stopped breathing. I'm so grateful that I got to be with her in the beginning and at the end, and I'll always be grateful for all the wonderful years we shared in between.

It's over two years now. Most of the time I'm fine, but sometimes it can blindside you, when you don't expect it and you just feel their absence as an actual physical thing. Then it passes. But they're always with us.

I have another mate now, not better or worse, but very different. She's a brat actually, but she's my brat and I love her, and I know she loves me - in fact I wish I could be the person she seems to think I am! She will never replace my first sidekick, nor should she have to live up to her. She just is, and that's fine and perfect enough for me. We measure out our lives in friends that succeed, but never replace each other and we are blessed to have had them.

Here's a tribute we made for her. I hope its ok to link a video:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

"Don't cry, because one day when you come to the place where I am now, you will wonder why you cried." - Lao Tzu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

boomerang wrote: »
    "Don't cry, because one day when you come to the place where I am now, you will wonder why you cried." - Lao Tzu.

I honestly don't think you ever get over loosing a pet 100% if you really loved them. I know i haven't........

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Pabmac

Homer Simpson, just beautiful ;-)

I honestly don't think you ever get over loosing a pet 100% if you really loved them. I know i haven't........

I haven't got over it yet after years since I lost some of my cats.
    The last one I had to let go was less than three months ago, but I still think of him hundreds times a day everyday, and sometimes a tear still comes to my eyes... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

My other half sent me this link at work. Could not finish it... Can't be blubbering in the office!

Photo sessions with terminally ill or elderly companions.

It's a beautiful idea. Both heart wrenching and heart warming at the same time.

Here is the link to the mediocre article with some great shots: Farewell, my friend.

That led me to check out the website itself. Check out the blog. Don't do it at work though!

http://www.joysession.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

It probably the hardest decision i've ever had to make and i'm still sad to this day for the loss of all my pets over the years.
    Rest in peace my friends, till we meet again for eternity.

Advertisement