Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I am so sorry everybody :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Rest in peace my friends, till we meet again for eternity.

This is the only hope we have, the hope that one day we'll meet again.
    Without this hope life is dark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

This is the only hope we have, the hope that one day we'll meet again.
    Without this hope life is dark.

I have to disagree. As an atheist, I don't believe that we'll meet again, whether human or animal. Death is death. It is desperately sad, and those photos from the US really affect me, but that's the end. We just get on with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

RainyDay wrote: »
    I have to disagree. As an atheist, I don't believe that we'll meet again, whether human or animal. Death is death. It is desperately sad, and those photos from the US really affect me, but that's the end. We just get on with it.
    In your opinion. Some people do believe in something more, and carry the hope with them that someday we will meet again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Okay folks,
    With all due respect, this thread isn't really for such philosophising. If you'd like to discuss this topic, by all means start a new thread. But please don't drag this special thread any further off topic.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭hoodini89

Posted on this back in July after the death of my cat Susie who succumbed to feline aids. Didn't think I'd have to suffer another loss but unfortunately our cat Holly was knocked down by a car last Sunday evening and passed away aged just 3 :( Absolutely heartbroken and overcome with grief. Life is so unfair sometimes :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Missing Frankie terribly today. I still have the video of him so happy and excited to be opening his presents this day last year, little did we know it would be his last with us. Miss you big guy <3 you have me in tears again xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

Hi Guys

I just wanted to recommend a book on grieving.

I've been in a bad way since my darling girl passed away and knew I needed all the help I could get. I was searching for a nice consoling book which dealt with the issue of pet loss sensitively and this one is great....When Your Pet Dies: A Guide to Mourning, Remembering and Healing by Alan D. Wolfelt.

I found this so helpful and I understand whats going on more now and it helps you realise that you grieve deeply because you loved so deeply and that its all normal and part of the process.

I hope this is helpful to anyone in a similar situation out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sonoftom

Heart Centered Rebalancing
    I stood by your bed last night, I came to have a peep.
    I could see that you were crying, You found it hard to sleep.
    I whined to you softly as you brushed away a tear,
    "It's me, I haven't left you, I'm well, I'm fine, I'm here."

I was close to you at breakfast, I watched you pour the tea,
    You were thinking of the many times, your hands reached down to me.
    I was with you at the shops today, Your arms were getting sore.
    I longed to take your parcels, I wish I could do more.

I was with you at my grave today, You tend it with such care.
    I want to re-assure you, that I'm not lying there.
    I walked with you towards the house, as you fumbled for your key.
    I gently put my paw on you, I smiled and said " it's me."

You looked so very tired, and sank into a chair.
    I tried so hard to let you know, that I was standing there.
    It's possible for me, to be so near you everyday.
    To say to you with certainty, "I never went away."
    You sat there very quietly, then smiled, I think you knew...
    In the stillness of that evening, I was very close to you.

The day is over... I smile and watch you yawning
    and say "good-night, God bless, I'll see you in the morning."
    And when the time is right for you to cross the brief divide,
    I'll rush across to greet you and we'll stand, side by side.
    I have so many things to show you, there is so much for you to see.

Be patient, live your journey out...then come home to be with me.

Author Sammie Klaehn.

41 months now Zoe, will the pain never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

RainyDay wrote: »

I have seen you post the same in reply to numerous posts. I think it is about time that you got a heart and realise what affect your response could have on some people. Virtually everyone on here who post love their animals and are extremely sad when they leave us. Please just let them mourn in their own way, if they believe they will meet in a future life, let them believe it, regardless of your opinion because of your occupation. I will probably get an infractions because of this post but I just had to say this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Brrabus,
    Not only have I already dealt with this, but you're dragging up something that happened months ago.
    This is not a philosophy thread. It is also not a thread I particularly want to have to start issuing warnings etc on.
    Please stay on topic now.
    Do not reply to this post on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ACD

After six years together our dear friend Snowie has left us today. (cancer)
    Run free at the rainbow bridge, miss you already.

292183.jpg

From Snowie's happier times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Miss you Frankie, hope you're having a ball with Shaggy & Johnny wherever you all are <3

SingItOut wrote: »
    Miss you Frankie, hope you're having a ball with Shaggy & Johnny wherever you all are <3

There are moments when we miss our departed furry friends more than others. And I'm sure they miss us too.
    I still miss my Tom, my ginger cat, after 5 months, and I think of him everyday.
    Keep strong!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Pinky, one of me loveable and blind Degu, died this morning. She died in her sleep so I didn't see her until I came home from work. :(

Our first pet, along with her sister, and was 3 & 1/2 years old. She was a very friendly animal and I bonded with her better than the other degu, she always hung around me when I let her out and was the only one who would sit on my hand.

95sg.jpg
    a4cn.jpg
    k5tj.jpg
    axn7.jpg

For some reason one of the rabbits, Paulie, would run upstairs whenever he was let out and go into the Degus room to stare at them. Started letting them out together and they got on fine with each other:
    1bxx.jpg
    1000519_734563153236845_24633965_n.jpg

She earned her name, Pinky, from Pinky & The Brain.........though didn't seem right to call the other one The Brain so since that one was missing half of her tail we called her Stumpy :pac:

Pinky developed cataracts over a year ago and went blind but didn't seem to phase her after a short period of time, besides the odd headbutt of the skirting boards. She adapted to the cage and the room we let them out in pretty quickly.

Had a great time raising her from being a little squirt and changed my outlook on rodents, was once indifferent / didn't care much for them but now I'm fascinated by them. Looking after them we were considering getting mice or even rats.

I'll miss her and especially the noises she made, she used to chirp with excitement when I went to the cage and called her name.

It was only after Halloween when we had to bury our hamster, Buddy, so unfortunately she'll have to join him out in the garden alongside him.

Bye Pinky :(
    orlv.jpg

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Pinky, one of me loveable and blind Degu, died this morning. She died in her sleep so I didn't see her until I came home from work. :(
    orlv.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    I had a hamster, then I had a gerbil, and lately I had mice. They were all lovely and despite of what people may think rodents are very smart and clever.
    RIP Pinky :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sonoftom

Great tribute Duggy. Sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Im so sorry. I've always loved degus, they seem like lovely little guys. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭UncleChael

I'v been trying to write this post all day but I couldn't keep it together in work long enough to get through it.
    Our family dog Pippin died in his sleep yesterday afternoon at home after a short illness.
    We had 11 great years together and we will miss him dearly.
    I'm heartbroken and I truly hope we'll be reunited someday!

82FD516EAD284342BA5578B12573595F-0000370622-0003499618-00720L-92836069BEF5451C873F42519A9973BF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

UncleChael wrote: »
    I'v been trying to write this post all day but I couldn't keep it together in work long enough to get through it.
    Our family dog Pippin died in his sleep yesterday afternoon at home after a short illness.

m9f8rrj

Very sorry to hear this.

• Advertisement

UncleChael wrote: »

Of course you will, I'm sure of that.
    I'm so sorry for your loss! :(
    RIP Pippin...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

my little old woman Holly died a few weeks back. We're all still coming to terms with her not being around & it's made harder by the fact the one minute she was fine and then within 2 minutes she was gone :(

Mind you, having been spoiled for nearly 15 1/2 years she had a great life.

9263335430_78e90474c9.jpg

RosieJoe wrote: »
    my little old woman Holly died a few weeks back. We're all still coming to terms with her not being around & it's made harder by the fact the one minute she was fine and then within 2 minutes she was gone :(

I'm so sorry to read your words :(
    What happened to your cute Holly? A heart attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Yeah I think so. It all happened so quickly. One minute she was snuggling in a newly bought bed for her and then a few minutes later she died in my OH's arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

It's probably not the best thread to mention this, but dogs don't actually suffer heart attacks like humans.Well they can but it's very very rare and heart failure is more likely. So sorry RosieJoe, after 15 years I know how beyond devastated you must be. :(
    Yeah I think so. It all happened so quickly. One minute she was snuggling in a newly bought bed for her and then a few minutes later she died in my OH's arms.

Take huge comfort in the fact she was literally in the best, safest and most loving place possible. :o

9263335430_78e90474c9.jpg

So sorry for your loss. Over 15 years is great though. You had so many years together which is trully a gift for all of you especially Holly.

She looks so lovely and cosy on that bed :)

Duggy747 wrote: »
    1bxx.jpg
    1000519_734563153236845_24633965_n.jpg

I think your tribute is so lovely Duggy.

I'd normally just love dogs but the pix of Pinky with the rabbit are fantastic.

The pictures show how much you love her and looked after her so well.

God bless Pinky x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I posted a thread on here just a week ago that my great dane, Henry, had been diagnosed with dilated cardiomyopathy.
    I was unhappy for Henry to be on 3 different tablets but said I would give it a go for a while and see what kind of improvement I might see.
    Sadly, Henry made the decision for me.

Henry, who had been ill and losing weight rapidly for about 2 weeks before his diagnosis, plummeted down hill from Tuesday. He stopped eating, stopped going to the toilet, developed lameness in his legs, couldn't stand or walk at times and his bones began to protrude, particularly in his lower half. His circulation was so poor, due to the weak heart, that his body was cold to touch.
    On Thursday night Henry became very confused and lost the power to stand on his own. My husband and I managed to stand him up (with great difficulty) and he stumbled out for a wee. I was awake all Thursday night with Henry and on Friday morning my husband brought Henry to the Vet.
    The Vet examined Henry, scanned his heart again and obviously Henry had visibly not improved as well as his scan showing no improvement. The Vet suggested that we start thinking of having Henry put to sleep before he just wasted away in front of us.
    I left work early and went home to spend my last few hours with my best friend.
    On Friday night Henry really struggled and I didn't think he would make it through the night. My husband and I had to carry him outside to do his wees. He seemed to be fading away, staring into space, confused, searching for things with his eyes, unable to open his eyes at times, unable to move.
    It broke my heart to see my beautiful boy like this.

We brought Henry to the Vet this morning and the Vet put him to sleep. It was his time. He showed me he was ready. He wasn't afraid, he was exhausted and weak. He passed away with his head snuggled in my lap with his favourite teddy and his favourite squeaky toy.

Henry was my best friend in the world. He was going to be 5 in October. I had Henry since he was 12 weeks old. I "grew up" with Henry. I was 21 when I welcomed Henry into my life and in the past 5 years I have stopped housesharing and lived on my own, got a serious job, got made redundant, met my husband, moved across country, got another serious job, said goodbye to my husband's father, been involved in a serious RTA and got married - all done with my best friend by my side.

I've never felt like this in my life. I am devastated at the decision I had to make and am second guessing myself. I couldn't let my best friend suffer on though. He was in so much pain and whimpered his way through the night the last 2 nights, I couldn't let him struggle on like that.
    Henry told me it was his time. I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine and told me to let him go.

I am lucky to have friends and family that support me in this decision and understand how difficult it was to make. My world turned for Henry and to let him go was devastating. I have been extremely hurt by 2 "friends" of mine whose messages have been borderline abusive at this time. Telling me to get a second opinion, telling me I'm moving too quick, telling me I'm taking the easy way out... and worse and worse. I don't understand how anyone could think a decision like this was reached with any degree of ease.

I hope anyone reading this gives their pet extra cuddles tonight and every night. I cannot describe how difficult this will be to get used to, my house feels empty and my other 2 dogs are distraught, particularly our younger GSD who Henry treated like his baby. He spent an hour howling when we got home from the Vet - he has never done this. Sometimes they just know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor you. Poor Henry. He was so young. That makes it even harder for you I think. Dont let anyone tell you that you did anything other than the absolutely right thing, and the only thing. My heart goes out to you.

• Advertisement

I'm so terribly sorry to hear about Henry. I really thought he'd be ok for another few months at least from your other thread. I know exactly how you feel and you must still be in terrible shock right now. You should take comfort in the fact that you were with him at the end and it seems like you did so much to help him in his final days and thank God he had you.
    I've never felt like this in my life. I am devastated at the decision I had to make and am second guessing myself. I couldn't let my best friend suffer on though. He was in so much pain and whimpered his way through the night the last 2 nights, I couldn't let him struggle on like that.
    Henry told me it was his time. I looked into his eyes and he looked into mine and told me to let him go.

I am lucky to have friends and family that support me in this decision and understand how difficult it was to make. My world turned for Henry and to let him go was devastating. I have been extremely hurt by 2 "friends" of mine whose messages have been borderline abusive at this time. Telling me to get a second opinion, telling me I'm moving too quick, telling me I'm taking the easy way out... and worse and worse. I don't understand how anyone could think a decision like this was reached with any degree of ease.

I hope anyone reading this gives their pet extra cuddles tonight and every night. I cannot describe how difficult this will be to get used to, my house feels empty and my other 2 dogs are distraught, particularly our younger GSD who Henry treated like his baby. He spent an hour howling when we got home from the Vet - he has never done this. Sometimes they just know.

Second guessing yourself is such a major part of grief and you will drive yourself a bit crazy going over and over Henrys last week or two in your mind. This will pass. You'll realise that you did everything you could with the information you were given. We rely on the vets so much as our pets can't tell us how they are feeling.

Its surprising how friends react towards you when theres been a bereavement. People who you thought would be great can be less than supportive and others can surprise you with their understanding. Its just one of those things and unless someone has gone through it I dont think they really understand.

I'm so sorry again and I'm sure you feel so robbed as Henry was so young and its so bloody sad. My girl passed away at age 11 and I'm so jealous when I see dogs who are into their teens but thats just the way it goes. It was their time and its no comfort at all but we have to recall all of the good times and feel like we gave them a good life. Thats the main thing. Was he happy and loved ?? Of course he was.

There are great pet losss books on Amazon so maybe check those out. Two in particular helped me loads.

Take care x

Advertisement