Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

I've been reading this thread while bawling, all day :o

Yesterday, I said goodbye to my beloved dog. She was one week shy of her 15th birthday.

She has been suffering with arthritis for about 2 years but started going downhill on Monday. Her vet put her on a new medication and was confident that she'd continue wagging her tail for another 6 months or so. Monday night/Tuesday morning, she deteriorated. She was exhausted on Monday night and by Tuesday afternoon her breathing was laboured. Our lovely, lovely vet (I seriously can't praise this woman highly enough) made a house call and my beautiful pooch was put to sleep in my arms.

I have a pain in my heart that I didn't thing was possible. My house feels empty and my poor cats are all out of sorts. She was my best friend. She supported me through the darkest time in my life. She knows my whole life story. Her tail wagged all the time and she plagued everyone she met for belly rubs. She wasn't the brightest, and she was absolutely terrified of her own farts, but she was the kindest and most gentle soul I could ever have had the pleasure of spending 15 years with.

20131122_222738_zps9e743f12.jpg~320x480

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lucyfur, your little dog was the cutest little thing - I have a major soft spot for the hairy little terriers. She was a very good age, and you/she are lucky that she was only sick for a short while. Its just pure torture when you loose a beloved pet - especially one that sounds so special as yours was. What can anyone say to you to help - your heart is just broken, and I feel so sorry for you. Mind yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Lucyfur,
    I feel so sorry for your loss, she was lovely and your tribute to her is so heart-touching, I'm here at work and have tears in my eyes.
    She's been lucky to have you until the very last moment, and you've been lucky to have her on your side for 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Reading these stories help in some slight way.

I got in from work thursday night and noticed my cat Lucy who is 9 was not quite herself.She didnt seem to be eating and was sitting in strange places so I mentioned it to the family that she wasnt well.

Next morning before work she still didnt look great at all so I knew something was definitely up, text the mother about it to keep her eye on her.

Go home from work around 7 this evening and the cat was exhausted, drooling, had been urinating dark yellow, so dehydrated, hadnt eaten but still clambered down the stairs to greet me. So she couldnt have been that bad, right?

Decided to bring her to the Vet in inchicore in Dublin, got there last and there was a queue so was seen after 1hr30, the cat was in bad shape but comfortable.But when I took her out onto the scales to weigh her and then put her on the table it hit home...she was in serious trouble. her muscles werent working anymore, the vet told me to get her to ucd vet asap.

So I loaded her back into the car and started franticialy speeding down the canal toward the n11, I got about 10 mins down the canal before I heard her breatheing very hard so I pulled off the top of the box and tried to settle her. Then a minute later she was strugging badly to breath, i knew I was in serious trouble but just kept speeding. I was shouting at her and pulling and shaking her at this stage and then just as i turned onto baggot st she started to lose her life, i just picked her up at that stage, she was jerking in attempt to breath violently every 5-10 seconds and her back legs went very stiff as if the heart was failing. it was really scary, I didnt know which breath would be the last so i just pulled over and held her and she passed away right there in my arms

Ive had a few pets die before, some I was quite attached to, but not like this one, she was the most insociable, unfriendly cat ever, but she loved me and I was so crazy about her. There maybe other cats at some stage, but there will never be another lucy and thats the worst part for me, that ill never get to chill out with her again

296487.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

so so sad but at least you were with her when it mattered most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

jimf wrote: »
    so so sad but at least you were with her when it mattered most

The worst part for me was I wonder was I. When I left the furst vet in a rush, I kind f bundled her into the car, 5 mins later heard heavy breathing, i lifted the lid and she was n an awkward positon and i think that may have started it. Then my only other regret is not pulling up earlier and just taking and holding her when she start really struggling, she looked so scared and I just kept trying to drive fasterfrown.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

NoQuarter wrote: »
    The worst part for me was I wonder was I.

Sounds to me like she was a very well cared for pet right to the end and died in her best friend's arms. Go easy on yourself.

God that sounds like a horrible experience. What else could you have done, only kept going to get to UCDVH. At least you could did pull over so that she was in your arms when she passed. Thats just so sad for you. Sometimes its the old contrary, unsocial ones that love one special person that break the heart most. She was obviously a one-person-cat. Dont beat yourself up - you did your best by her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I have really been struggling to come to terms with the loss of Henry.
    I still keep bursting into tears and having really low periods when I can't even speak because I'm missing him so much. I hope this gets easier.
    My life feels empty without him and I keep picturing him lying in the vets struggling to breath and I'm still questioning if I did the right thing.
    I miss him so much.

210100_10150176969031069_506591068_6754928_1833995_o.jpg

do not question whether you did the right thing bringing him to the vet - putting our pets who are in pain/suffering to sleep is the last loving thing we can do for them.
    Henry was a beautiful dog.
    The grief you are feeling will pass.
    I still look for my old Patch every morning when I get up - but its getting easier definately. It will get easier for you too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

We lost Oscar during the week.
    Before he died he started having trouble digesting his food and eventually stopped eating. He was in great form right up the end, never stopped wagging his tail. I was luckily off work on tuesday and spent the entire day with him, giving him hugs/water/letting him in and out/etc and then early Wednesday morning he was gone :(
    He lived a great, long long long life. He was in his early 20s, which is far longer than the expectancy for his breed. I'm so happy he had the last few months living with us, being kept warm and have all the comforts he deserved in his retirement years.
    It's hard having him gone, I still go to let him out every day when I get home and check on him first thing in the morning, but I'm glad that he didn't suffer and he went peacefully curled up in his bed.

In his prime:
    10wqfrk.jpg

Last week:
    jhbin8.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We lost Oscar during the week.

I love how he snagged the best seat/bed in the house. 20 years is a great age - he must have been well looked after. Sorry for your loss.

wow, in his early 20's - how lucky were you to have him for so long, and for him to pass off so peacefully/easily in the end. So great that you were off work on the tuesday. He looked like a lovely little chartacter.

Oscar lived a very long life and it sounds like he had the most love-filled existence a dog can wish.
    And he was lucky to have you close to him till the end.
    RIP Oscar :(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Daughters hamster died last night. She adored it with all her heart. It seemed in great form until it starting falling from the sides of the cage and then began to lose balance. She stuffed her face last night and fell asleep in the middle of the floor. Put her in her bed gently, but when my daughter woke up at 4am she saw her lying out in the middle of the floor not moving. Devasted :-(

antodeco wrote: »
    Daughters hamster died last night. She adored it with all her heart. It seemed in great form until it starting falling from the sides of the cage and then began to lose balance. She stuffed her face last night and fell asleep in the middle of the floor. Put her in her bed gently, but when my daughter woke up at 4am she saw her lying out in the middle of the floor not moving. Devasted :-(

These poor little things live a short life and their death is often sudden :(
    I'm so sorry for you and your daughter.

That got me right in the feels :( My son is heartbroken since our dog passed away too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 32 AnScamall

This is Gizmo ... she died last August of Adisons disease. It was heartbreaking because she was only sick for 3 days and her heart gave out. She was only 5 and so full of life right until the end. I still miss her every day, such an amazing dog :-)

5ZMkVL.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Not really 'departed pets' exactly but when my relationship of 5 years broke down I was ousted from the home and refused any of my animals. Dogs, cats, turtles, birds, fish etc. Quite a few if I'm honest and I miss them like crazy.

All just to have one final swipe at me.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 sonoftom

Not really 'departed pets' exactly but when my relationship of 5 years broke down I was ousted from the home and refused any of my animals. Dogs, cats, turtles, birds, fish etc. Quite a few if I'm honest and I miss them like crazy.

All just to have one final swipe at me.

Every bit as bad in my opinion, maybe even worse. I hope things improve for you.

• Advertisement

I got Henry's ashes back today. One part came in a scatter box and the other in an urn.
    I feel devastated all over again.
    I miss him so much.

Our other 2 dogs are missing him so much. Their characters have really changed.

Very sad today :(

20130930_071638_zps19818725.jpg

I got my lady's ashes back 2 weeks ago and it gave me great comfort. My lovely husband also bought me a locket and I have some of her fur in it. It really isn't easy. *hugs* chick xx

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Lucyfur wrote: »
    I got my lady's ashes back 2 weeks ago and it gave me great comfort. My lovely husband also bought me a locket and I have some of her fur in it. It really isn't easy. *hugs* chick xx

No. It isn't easy.

My beloved 16 year old Gráinne had to be PTS over a year and a half ago and, for some reason, I have found myself crying over the last week as I still miss her so much.

Feck - here I go again....:(

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    No. It isn't easy.

My beloved 16 year old Gráinne had to be PTS over a year and a half ago and, for some reason, I have found myself crying over the last week as I still miss her so much.

Feck - here I go again....:(

Oh totally. I'll never, ever forget my wee scruff.

It's so hard. When we lose a human, we are expected to grieve, and given time to do so. Only a fellow animal lover understands the grief of losing a furbaby

Only a fellow animal lover understands the grief of losing a furbaby

Ain't that the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Really is the truth Lucyfur.
    Our guy was 14 in January and while he's still going ok I know time is not on our side shall we say. We have had a few class calls in recent years but even so life without him is still not something I want to think about too much.

ryanf1 wrote: »
    Really is the truth Lucyfur.
    Our guy was 14 in January and while he's still going ok I know time is not on our side shall we say. We have had a few class calls in recent years but even so life without him is still not something I want to think about too much.

My wee girly was just shy of 15. I got her ashes back in a box that has a picture frame and a name plaque on the front...I love having her home again. It's made grieving easier...I don't know why...even the vet was shocked when I went to pick her up. She was prepared for me to be bawling again so she said she was really surprised to see me smiling! She had such a great life. I have nothing but happy memories of her :) It's comforting to know that in her 15 years she was never cold, or hungry, or left alone, or not walked and given treats....all those thoughts are really helping me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

My wee girly was just shy of 15. I got her ashes back in a box that has a picture frame and a name plaque on the front...I love having her home again. It's made grieving easier...I don't know why...even the vet was shocked when I went to pick her up. She was prepared for me to be bawling again so she said she was really surprised to see me smiling! She had such a great life. I have nothing but happy memories of her :) It's comforting to know that in her 15 years she was never cold, or hungry, or left alone, or not walked and given treats....all those thoughts are really helping me.

imho the grieving process is made an lot easier when you know in your heart that you gave them the best life possible in the end the decisions we have to make are heart breaking but its the final act of love we can bestow on our unconditional best friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Found this by pure chance so I may as well seeing as I put up a thread ages ago

This is the last photo I took of ben, I got him when he was no bigger than my hand, and ever since he was always there, good times bad times, no matter what, even when i hadn't a friend in the world he was there for me, I thought him how to play football with me and my friends, and a few tricks along the way, in later years a stray cat had some kittens and the black one in the photo known as mao took a strong liking to him and followed him where ever he went, although this didn't go down well the odd time when he died we took him home from the vets and laid him on our couch, mao lay with him until we moved him, then he followed us down to the cherry tree we buried him under

He was and still is irreplaceable :)

Sleep well old timer

kb6fro.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Our family dog Bebe passed away earlier today in her sleep and totally unexpected. She was curled up in her usual stop under the tree at home.

My dad got her from the Drogheda rescue centre in late 2001 (i think). At that stage she was a few months old. Who ever had her before did not treat her well and she was very quiet timid dog. But she found a loving home.

Needless to say, I'm heart broken.

I was last home for paddys weekend and she was in flying form.

I unfortunately have to go home tomorrow to help my dad dig a grave in the garden. Certainly not looking forward to it.

We love her and we're all going to miss her very much.

Advertisement