Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Zed Bank

Im sorry to hear the unfortunate news,
    13 years is a ripe old age for a dog and it seems you gave her a loving home and a nice life :)

Always a hard blow OP. When my dog passed I was devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

She's a beautiful old girl, I'm sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Miri5

Aww, sorry to hear that :( it will be hard but be happy knowing that she had a lovely life & although this may sound weird, the fact that she died in her familiar little spot probably means she was very content when she passed.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

micar I am genuinely so sorry for your loss. I hope you don't mind me moving your post to here, it really is the most apt thread.

As heartbreaking as this thread is, it's one of my favourites and although very difficult to read, I hope it gives you comfort in knowing so many have felt the same as you do now :o

I for one know how much a pet bonds a family and totally understand the pain of having to do this one last difficult and heart wrenching thing for them.

Take pride in how much your family loved and cared for her. That is all we can do for our buddies in the short time we have them ;)

RIP Bebé

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

anniehoo wrote: »
    micar I am genuinely so sorry for your loss. I hope you don't mind me moving your post to here, it really is the most apt thread.

As heartbreaking as this thread is, it's one of my favourites and although very difficult to read, I hope it gives you comfort in knowing so many have felt the same as you do now :o

I for one know how much a pet bonds a family and totally understand the pain of having to do this one last difficult and heart wrenching thing for them.

Take pride in how much your family loved and cared for her. That is all we can do for our buddies in the short time we have them ;)

RIP Bebé

you hit the nail on the head annie this thread can be heart wrenching but we can all associate with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

micar wrote: »
    Our family dog Bebe passed away earlier today in her sleep and totally unexpected. She was curled up in her usual stop under the tree at home.

I'm sorry to read your words of sorrow. She was a beautiful dog indeed and she had the luck to find you and your family, so that she could know the meaning of love.
    She's been with you for 13 years, but do you know how old she was?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭micar

Thanks very much for all your kind words.

Myself and my Dad have just finished digging her grave. We are just waiting for my 2 sisters to come home before we inter her.

Just found a receipt on the day we got her - 3rd Dec 2000. The notes say that she was about 9 months old. At her passing she was 14.

My dad made a donation of £40.00. A very small donation for the joy she brought our family. The place is going to be very quite without her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lovely idea to make a donation. The amount NEVER matters - definately the thought that counts.
    How lucky was she to have lived with you all for 13 years, and you all to have had the joy of a lovely dog for so long.
    A house is always very sad/quiet/empty when a pet passes away. Im sure those left at home without her, will be very lonely.
    Best wishes to you all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

My Cat Dante passed away suddenly last Saturday. He was playing as normal then I let him out as 11am. I get a knock on the door around 2pm from a neighbour saying my cat was laying under another neighbours car. I went to investigate and it was my poor cat. My vet is closed all weekend so I had to keep the body cold until monday afternoon.

I got the call back from the Vet a few minutes ago and he checked everything except the brain and can't find anything so he rules it a heart attack.

There was nothing we could have done. We can't bury him so his ashes will be returned to us. I am getting all teary eyed just writing this.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1.0-9/10153892_606728679409458_1976824838_n.jpg

https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1899922_606728732742786_222634607_n.jpg

https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/10156111_606728836076109_1932727344_n.jpg

Lucreto wrote: »
    My Cat Dante passed away suddenly last Saturday. He was playing as normal then I let him out as 11am. I get a knock on the door around 2pm from a neighbour saying my cat was laying under another neighbours car.

That's a terrible news! He looked very young and was beautiful indeed.
    RIP Dante :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Aww :( He's very like one of my cats :(

I hope you're ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

An awful pang of sadness has come over me the last few days.
    Now that it is brighter in the evenings, Henry and I would usually have started going off in the evenings for an hour or so to sit out in the nice weather and refresh on his training and just spend some time together.

I miss him so much :(

Henry having a roll in the grass
    SL370508.jpg

SL370534.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

An awful pang of sadness has come over me the last few days.
    Now that it is brighter in the evenings, Henry and I would usually have started going off in the evenings for an hour or so to sit out in the nice weather and refresh on his training and just spend some time together.

I miss him so much :(

Henry having a roll in the grass

It is tough going, even though we still have the others at home.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    It is tough going, even though we still have the others at home.

Yeah, we have 2 other dogs and we love them obviously but Henry was my dog so even my husband doesn't feel as awful as I do because I had Henry even before we met each other.
    It's just horrible.
    I still think "I can't wait to see Henry" or "I can't wait to tell or show Henry that" :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Yeah, we have 2 other dogs and we love them obviously but Henry was my dog so even my husband doesn't feel as awful as I do because I had Henry even before we met each other.
    It's just horrible.
    I still think "I can't wait to see Henry" or "I can't wait to tell or show Henry that" :(

We're in the same situation here, Holly was our first dog too and was quickly put upon a pedestal that no other dog will ever get on. My wife spoilt her rotten from day one and is finding it harder than me. Sure 2 months later and I still accidentally call for her.

It's just horrible.

Poor poor you. Henry and you obviously had a very special relationship. Sometimes you come across a special dog (one of mine at the moment is special) and its so sad when they die. Maybe you should think about getting a puppy that is yours, NOT to replace Henry, that will never happen, but a dog that is yours alone might help heal your Henry-loss a little?

aonb wrote: »
    Poor poor you. Henry and you obviously had a very special relationship. Sometimes you come across a special dog (one of mine at the moment is special) and its so sad when they die. Maybe you should think about getting a puppy that is yours, NOT to replace Henry, that will never happen, but a dog that is yours alone might help heal your Henry-loss a little?

We did have a very special relationship. He was a very special dog, I can't explain, just very special.

We have been thinking about a puppy recently. I feel like I need to try to love something as much as I loved Henry to help me move on a little bit. We haven't made our minds up yet though.

RosieJoe wrote: »
    We're in the same situation here, Holly was our first dog too and was quickly put upon a pedestal that no other dog will ever get on. My wife spoilt her rotten from day one and is finding it harder than me. Sure 2 months later and I still accidentally call for her.

I keep doing that.
    Having to explain to everybody who knew him has been difficult too. Everybody knew Henry because we've always been known as "the house with the big dog" so everybody who has ever come to our house knew Henry and having to tell the Tesco delivery man, the postman, the coal man, the oil man etc etc has been awful because everybody says "oh he was such a lovely dog" etc and it sets me off crying again.

I still go to let her out for a wee before bed.

And I had steak for dinner last night and broke down in tears cos it was her favourite :o

But, all in all, I'm doing pretty well. Big loves to you 26s. You know I'm here if you need a chat x

I believe that there are special dogs - that an owner and his/her dog can have a very special connection and relationship. I always have loved all our dogs down through the years, but Pepper and I have a very special relationship. If it doesnt sound daft, its like we are soul mates (for want of a better word) - the dog/human equivalent at least. I feel he trusts me 100% - he will let me treat his cuts/injuries without any worries of snapping/biting. If he gets in trouble he comes to me. Hes elderly now, and has recurring gastric problems - when he is so very ill and in pain, he will still let me sort him out - meds/cleaning him up/going to the dreaded vet etc.
    When he goes there will be a huge hole, but I will get another dog - as you say, to help to move on and to help fill that hole. If you do decide to get another dog, you may be lucky enough to find another special dog like Henry, but either way, having a new dog to love and train and build a relationship with will hopefully take the edge off missing Henry. Best of luck to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭hughjohn

Today when I came down to the kitchen , her basket was empty.
    Today when I cleaned out the stove she didnt nuzzle up to me for a back scratch.
    Today when I walk down the track to the stables she wont be trotting along beside me.
    Today when I go to the shop for bread and milk she wont jump into the back seat for a drive.
    Today when I go to work in the garage her bed by the workbench will lie undisturbed.
    And tonight when I relax in the armchair she wont be there to hop onto my lap for a cuddle.
    Her name was "wren" cos she was so small when she was dumped at my gate 14 years ago.
    Her end was violent but it was all over in 10 mins. It was 10 mins of hell though.
    She was killed by a car. She was a norfolk terrier. She was kind, warm soft and friendly , never put a paw wrong in her life and now she is gone and I am left here devastated.

hughjohn wrote: »
    Today when I cleaned out the stove she didnt nuzzle up to me for a back scratch.
    Today when I walk down the track to the stables she wont be trotting along beside me.
    Today when I go to the shop for bread and milk she wont jump into the back seat for a drive.
    Today when I go to work in the garage her bed by the workbench will lie undisturbed.
    And tonight when I relax in the armchair she wont be there to hop onto my lap for a cuddle.
    Her name was "wren" cos she was so small when she was dumped at my gate 14 years ago.
    Her end was violent but it was all over in 10 mins. It was 10 mins of hell though.
    She was killed by a car. She was a norfolk terrier. She was kind, warm soft and friendly , never put a paw wrong in her life and now she is gone and I am left here devastated.

:(

My god I don't think I'd be doing nearly as well as I am if my scruff had been taken like that :( You poor thing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't usually come onto this forum on boards.ie but today my staffordshire bull terrier turned 10. So I was checking up what 10 dog years is in human years, roughly 65. I was also checking out the breeds average life span, so he has 2 to 3 years left average, not good I will miss him so much, as he is my first dog that I owned and not a family pet.

Now onto past dogs the first dog we had in the family was 'Tobby', she died years ago by a robbed car when we lived in Dublin.
    Second dog we had was a pug 'Gismo' who died by a tractor, that wasn't her first accident she was knocked down by a car before that and my parents spent a few thousand on a special vet, but the operation worked and she was still with us untill ther tractor accident. (we lived in the country at this stage)
    Next was 'Bea' who was killed on the road as well.
    Then 'Trixie' went missing and never heard of her since, we suspect neighbours poisoned her or killed her.(with them being farmers, kill dogs on site evern if not doing anything) **not all are like that I know but a few local ones here have a name for it.
    And 'Minnie' was killed on the road as well.

I know we had a lot of dogs killed on the road but we have a fenced in garden now so dogs are safe.(Hopefully)
    I miss all them dogs so much but I will be really sad to see my own dog go when he does. 2 to 3years left I better make the most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

hughjohn wrote: »

hughjohn.

That is the most beautiful and poingent tribute to lost love and friendship I have ever read.

Thank you for sharing that with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭mojesius

We got Phoebe in 1998 when I was 15. We felt it was time to get another friend so my mam called our vets to see if they had any dogs in need of a home (They rescued dogs as well). They said they had a little 4 month old cross cairn terrier-type who hadn't had the easiest starts in life, and off we went.

We waited in one of the vet rooms to meet her and see if we'd bond. The vet carried her in and I saw these panic-stricken big brown eyes staring at me. I put out my hand as she was placed on the table and she came over to me. She chose us and we loved her from that moment on.

Yesterday morning, 16 years on, I said goodbye to her in the exact same room. When she drifted off, she was looking into my eyes in the exact same way. As she went asleep, I told her that I loved her and what a good girl she was. She died a happy, peaceful death surrounded by people in her wolfpack.

We have been through so much together in these 16 years. She had the nicest disposition of any dog I've had or known. When I was sick, she curled in beside me the whole time. When I was studying, she'd bark at me for a well-deserved walk or tug. When I was down, she'd lick my tears away. When we got our younger dog Paddy, she welcomed him straight away and taught him all the fun things in life, such as his duties while on cat patrol looking out the windows or the joy of chasing squirrels in the park.

There have been some scary moments, she nearly jumped off a wall in my school that had a 12 foot drop the other side :eek:. We got attacked by crows one day in the park and we both had to run all the way back to the car. I managed to land a right-hook at one of them as it swooped down on Phoebe. Another time, she was attacked by two GSDs outside a forest, my god that was terrifying!

There have also been some fantastic times. We loved to run up and down the sand dunes in Donabate. We went swimming in Cavan in a lake and all her blond and while fluff floated to the top, she looked like a big happy cloud! She was at my sister's wedding last year out in Connemara. She had a great little holiday there and got a new lease of life running around the beaches!

She was old and I suppose her quality of life started deteriorating late last year. The last few weeks haven't been great, her heart started to weaken and the last week, she was coughing and hacking quite badly. You could see yesterday morning that she was worn out from the coughing. We brought her to the vets twice already this week, and they tried a few injections etc. to help but yesterday it was just time. It was the right time.

I'm going to miss that little lovely dog so so much. She was a best friend to me. She always made me smile and feel very loved. I'm feeling really empty and sad since we said goodbye. I'm not sure how our other dog Paddy is feeling about it. He seems okay but I don't know yet.

RIP Phoebe. Thank you for all you did for me and our family. You were the loveliest little dog any girl could wish for xxx

I hope you're sleeping and dreaming well now my little buddy Phoebe. The last few days have been so tough without her there barking and greeting us. There is a huge gap inside me, filled with emptiness since she left us. I'm very lucky that nothing has happened to any of my immediate family until now but I'm finding this so tough :(

Sorry to keep posting but the last few days have been so bloody hard. Trying to keep it together in work but just feel heartbroken and I'm welling up the whole time.

I know we did the right thing. Her little heart was thumping for days and she was exhausted with the coughing and wheezing so badly. But now I'm thinking, what if she had gotten better? What if there was another year there?

My younger dog is lost. We're all lost. Our home is empty and sad without her little happy head barking at you. I'm just so devastated to have lost such a good friend. She was my best friend since I was 14 and now she's gone.

mojesius wrote: »
    But now I'm thinking, what if she had gotten better? What if there was another year there?

Do not destroy yourself with this thoughts.
    The vet where you went with your dog did what he had to do. Weren't the time right for it, he wouldn't have done anything, and would have told you to give her some different medicine.
    If he went for the injection, then there was nothing else he and you could have done.
    Think of her in a sunny and warm place, with no coughing or wheezing, happy at last and waiting for you to join her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

mojesius wrote: »
    Sorry to keep posting but the last few days have been so bloody hard. Trying to keep it together in work but just feel heartbroken and I'm welling up the whole time.

I know we did the right thing. Her little heart was thumping for days and she was exhausted with the coughing and wheezing so badly. But now I'm thinking, what if she had gotten better? What if there was another year there?

My younger dog is lost. We're all lost. Our home is empty and sad without her little happy head barking at you. I'm just so devastated to have lost such a good friend. She was my best friend since I was 14 and now she's gone.

mojesius - what you are going through is an experience many - if not all- of us here share. I still torment myself with 'what if...' but the reality is my Gráinne was in constant pain with an inoperable liver tumour and, hard as it was, letting her go was the greatest act of love I could do for her even though my heart is still broken over a year and a half later. We were together over 16 years and I still listen for her and even with 4 other dogs who I adore the house still feels empty without her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    mojesius - what you are going through is an experience many - if not all- of us here share. I still torment myself with 'what if...' but the reality is my Gráinne was in constant pain with an inoperable liver tumour and, hard as it was, letting her go was the greatest act of love I could do for her even though my heart is still broken over a year and a half later. We were together over 16 years and I still listen for her and even with 4 other dogs who I adore the house still feels empty without her.

I have to agree 100% with you
    just because you have other dogs don't mean it makes it any easier

2 years on I still miss my boldest little bitch that ever you could come across she was unique and I think of her every day and still miss her terribly

Advertisement