Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Remember when you were very tiny? We hadn't planned to get a dog. But we happened upon you and fell in love and wasn't that a great thing to do! You were the most beautiful pup I had ever seen. Softest soft black fur, huge brown eyes and that wonderful puppy smell! You got car sick coming home and looked at me sheepishly as if you'd done something wrong. I told you it was ok and loved you even more. Remember how you grew disproportionately for the first while. My little giraffe. Spindly legs and a body that could never get fat. Didn't help that you had that red setter streak in you. Remember the time you fell down the side of the bed and screeched and screamed until you were rescued? I wasn't there, but I heard all about the panic that followed as you were pulled out, my little drama queen.

Do you remember the year I dressed you up as a renideer for Christmas? You were the most depressed looking reindeer that year . Every time the doorbell rang, you would run out to show whoever was there what we had done to you.

I remember how beautiful you grew to be. Half black lab, half red setter. You had the best of both genes. Beautiful black coat, silky to touch and a cute little red setter bump on the top of your head. You grew tall and and strong but you were always my little one.

I sometimes feel guilty when I remember how I'd put your toy in the cats bed and tell you to go get it. You were so afraid of her. You'd try to topple her out of the bed from a distance so that you could get your toy. Always so clever.

Remember how you loved frisbees and the snow. You loved the snow! Eating it, chasing it, burrowing in it.

You loved to swim too. You broke the ice one day in the Phoenix park and then couldn't get out. I had to lie face down to pull you out. We both looked like fools, but we were happy fools I suppose.

Remember how you had your own secret life that we didn't know about until after you'd passed? You'd visit the neighbours for treats and even the vet who lived down the road opened her door to you... yet when you saw her in the surgery it was a different story!

Remember you loved rolling in the grass, but you hated anyone seeing you do it. I'd sometimes watch you from a distance and laugh to myself at your antics -but you'd sit up and prance off if you thought you were being watched. Me? Rolling in the grass? I don't think so!

My family have memories of you too. My mum remembers with fondness dancing with you around the kitchen when My Irish Molly would come on the radio. You loved to dance! Up on your hind legs, tongue out, happy as could ever be. For a long time after you left I hated that song.. Now I can remember you in a way that's not so filled with sadness anymore.

Remember how you loved teddy bears? More so than frisbees, jumbones, squeaky toys. No. bears were what you really loved. And you had so many.

I remember the day you wiped the floor at the Bakers Dogs Day out in the RDS. You won every prize and we came home with bags of treats.

Remember how you used to love running on the beach. But you always wound up drinking from a rockpool and getting sick :( I don't think you ever learned.

You loved riding in the car ... though I'm sorry to tell you in this regard, you were nothing special! I've yet to meet a dog who doesn't love it :) You did have a particular way of standing on me, (leaning too I might add) and digging your bony little paws into my thighs, head out the window, ready to bark suddenly in my ear at nothing whenever you felt like it. But I was never angry, and I would love to have one more car ride with you. Even just around the block.

I remember with fascination how easy you always were. You were my first dog, and I have to say, you pretty much ruined it for every dog I;
    'd ever have! You had great road sense. In fact, I don't think you ever used a lead out walking until you were sick and we had to keep you close by in case you injured yourself! You'd step in when you heard a car coming. Who with four legs does that?! :D You were a steady, steady dog. Weren't bothered by children. They could pull out of you all day and you'd sit, patient and silent. You never got cross or agitated. You were unphased by other dogs. You weren't particularly enthusiastic about them, but you just ignored them. You never growled or snapped or cowered. It was almost as if they just were not there. You were a useless guard dog of course! All they'd have to do is give you a biscuit and you were sold ;)

Remember when the house next door was being built? You loved the builders (in fact, you loved men) and you'd go up to the site every day to them. God when I think now about letting a dog do this... it doesn't make any sense. But you were so different. independent, mind of your own. And they knew you and loved you. You wouldn't be pushed on dinner then of course, having begged lunch off the workers. Remember when the roof was being built and the offcuts of wood were being thrown down into the garden? You spent all day gathereing them up and left them in a neat pile at the end of the ladder :P

I remember too well when I first noticed you scrapping your nail off the ground, thinking you had stepped on glass. It's as if the moment is frozen in time. How did it get so bad? Your disease was creeping, insidious, unforgiving. A slow, steady creeping paralysis. you slipped right through our hands. It took time of course. We battled (you more than us) for over two years. Remember all the trips to Louth so that we could bring you to the best hydrotherapy sessions? And the time your crazy owner (me) bought you a swimming pool and life jacket so that we could do hydro in our own front garden? :P The neighbours thought we were mad but who cared? Not us anyway :)

Remember the new lease of life when you finally got your wheels? Molly's Trolley we called it :) People stared but it became so normal for us. You'd get excited when the wheels came out. Strapped in and ready to go! Eventually I had to buy you a lead so that I could run alongside you to make sure you didn't crash - those were the speeds you used to reach! Was it 15kg I lost just from running alongside you as you careered along enjoying the freedom of movement again!?

I remember the day in Bushy park you took off down one of the steep hills after a squirrell. I couldn't stop you, all I could do was run along behind you, hunched over, holding the back of your "trolley". It was like a weird alternative bob-sledding sport. I'm sure we would have won gold :) You had your moments of course when you did fall over, but you always got back up.

There are things I don't like to remember, but to be true to you, I can't pretend it was all good, can I? I remember one day in the park I felt so angry because you were slowing down. You knew I was angry didnt you? I have no excuses. I am human and humans, unlike dogs, are hopelessly flawed. I knew the time was coming and I didn't want it to. But how could I have been angry with you, my precious beautiful friend? It doesn't help you to say that I think about this every day. It will stay with me until the day I die. That's my penance I suppose. i wish I could go back to that day and give myself a good slap in the face and say, cop on. It's not her fault. She is fighting a bigger battle than you! :( But I can't go back. We can't go back. But I always remember how I behaved and I always regret how I behaved and it reminds me of how imperfect and stupid we can be.

And of course, the big issue and you know the one I mean. The divisive one. The one that split the family down the middle. Was the PTS issue, wasn't it. See, I knew you weren't in pain. I knew that mentally, you were 100%. I couldn't....let them do that and I think it was the right decision to a point wasn't it. You needed bathing every evening, but you always loved it. You loved the massage and physio after. The laser therapy for your poor little sore. I still have the laser machine! What does one do with something like this? I know that eventually, the time came to make "that" decision. Was anything ever harder than that? And I made it. We had the sedatives, the vet was on the way but I was weak and I let you down. I couldn't do it. I couldn't make that decision. I am sorry. I am sorry I kept you for myself and didn't think about your needs. I am sorry that you held on for a couple of weeks before making that decision yourself. I am sorry. I am sorry. I can't take it back. Like the day in the park. I failed you by being human and being limited in my ability to think about anything other than my own selfish needs. I am happy I got to have you in my arms when you passed but I am sorry you had to go yourself. It was beautiful day when you passed. Not like today. the sun was shining. You were in the garden on your bed, wrapped up with fleecey blankets, watching me potter around with the garden. Did you watch and wish you could stand once more and walk over to me? Did you feel the time coming and want to come to me for comfort, but couldn't? I found you when you had fallen and carried you inside. You died in my arms as I told you how much I loved you and how brave you had always been. I loved you then and I love you still. I love you now as I loved you then, and more because I miss you. Sometimes with a fond memory, other times like something huge is missing from our lives. I remain sorry always for my shortcomings and for how they affected you. You were always brave and strong. I wasn't!

Remember how much I loved you? I still love you the same way. You are a part of me and I will never stop loving you. I will never stop feeling sorry for the times I failed you. I will never forget all the good times we had. Even in the dark days. We still had our time. You have been succeeded rather than replaced by one who I love too. I know that you wont mind and I hope that you mind her from wherever you are. I have room enough for both of you. I'm glad you got to meet so you know how great she is, and the hard stint she did on the streets before she found her place with us. I love you, and I know you wont mind if I love her too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

She was so lucky to have you OldNotWise, you gave her a great life and i'm sure she's smiling down on you now. RIP Molly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tears in my eyes reading your post OldNotWise!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

Actually crying here in the coffee shop I'm in. My pet died a week ago today and I know that nothing I could write could come close to being as eloquent as OldNotWise's post. Thank you for saying all the things I can't.

ncur wrote: »
    Actually crying here in the coffee shop I'm in. My pet died a week ago today and I know that nothing I could write could come close to being as eloquent as OldNotWise's post. Thank you for saying all the things I can't.

Sorry for the loss of your friend :( If it means anything, it's taken me a long time to be able to express how I feel like that. Sometimes you don't want to say a memory out loud because it is so precious and you just want to keep it to yourself :( And I suppose the harder things to say out loud are the regrets we have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭ncur

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Sorry for the loss of your friend :( If it means anything, it's taken me a long time to be able to express how I feel like that. Sometimes you don't want to say a memory out loud because it is so precious and you just want to keep it to yourself :( And I suppose the harder things to say out loud are the regrets we have.
    Thanks, that does help, and it helps that all the lovely people here on this forum understand this loss. There's a large hole in my life currently and it's a grief that only other pet owners can comprehend.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

OldNotWIse that was so beautiful. You have me in floods of tears here, so eloquently put. Why do they have to leave us so soon :( A lovely tribute to your wonderful friend.

Frog Song wrote: »
    OldNotWIse that was so beautiful. You have me in floods of tears here, so eloquently put. Why do they have to leave us so soon :( A lovely tribute to your wonderful friend.

It's the price we pay :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Frog Song wrote: »

It is the price we pay but even though he's not physically with us any more, the memories of the 15 great years we spent together will never leave.
    I can say for sure it does get better, I will miss him always but it really does get better.
    Its 6 weeks today and we all can talk about him, look at photos going through the years and even walk down the Dog Food aisle in the supermarket. I guess for me what makes it easier for me is knowing that both us and the vets did everything possible for him and the day finally came where there was nothing more we could do so it was his time to go.

To all our beloved friends xxx

• Advertisement

OldNotWIse wrote: »

To all our beloved friends xxx

I havent listened to it but just read the words and it represents exactly how I feel. Its 6 weeks for me now and I'm beginning to remember the nice things. During the week I was looking at my 1st communion photos when he was 5 months old things like that I couldn't have done in the first few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

My cat, Heidi had to be put down today. She was 8 but had a problem with her heart. I brought her in yesterday after she collapsed and was told the blood test would take until tomorrow to be ready. She was kept in over night and when I got down today she was already dead. I can't forgive myself for letting her die alone or leaving her in there.

I know I had to but it is still eating me up and I can't stop crying about it. I have no friends IRL to vent this anger I have at myself. I'm as low as I have ever been and don't know what to do next. My dad said get a new cat but that feels like a betrayal because she is not even a day dead.

I miss you Mrs meow. More than I ever thought possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Rory28 wrote: »
    My cat, Heidi had to be put down today. She was 8 but had a problem with her heart. I brought her in yesterday after she collapsed and was told the blood test would take until tomorrow to be ready. She was kept in over night and when I got down today she was already dead. I can't forgive myself for letting her die alone or leaving her in there.

I know I had to but it is still eating me up and I can't stop crying about it. I have no friends IRL to vent this anger I have at myself. I'm as low as I have ever been and don't know what to do next. My dad said get a new cat but that feels like a betrayal because she is not even a day dead.

Don't blame yourself, you got her to the vet as fast as possible and she passed on in the care of a caring professional. This is not the worst way for it all to happen, nowhere near being able to hold her when she saw the rainbow bridge, but far better than finding her out on the road, or not finding her at all.

Its really important that you let go of those feelings.
    My dog died 6 weeks ago and spent his last 2 days in the vets. At the beginning we thought it was some sort of infection but by the following afternoon he hadn't improved at all and blood tests and so on were done. Later that day they started coming back and we knew we were dealing with something quite a lot more serious. In the day that followed more tests were done and then we knew that we were at the end of the road this time.
    I had an appointment on the Thursday I wasn't able to get out of so I never got to see him, which bothered me a lot because I felt like I owed it to him to be there at the end of his life.
    Ever since everyone has told me that I'm better having the last memory of him as being asleep with his chin on my shoulder and tail on my lap on the Tuesday as I carried him into the vets. its not hooked up to lots of things in the vets as he was dying. This is what I think you should try to see, he was very sick that day but I know he was happy in that position, he wasn't really alert as he was so sick but he would have ben able to smell me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So sorry for your loss. We had to leave our elderly girl in for a few nights last week when she pretty-much stopped eating. I was terrified that something would go wrong when we weren't around. Fortunately, she bounced back and she's back home, begging for food at the table now. They did find a heart murmur and we're waiting for blood test results on her thyroid.

I'm sure you're broken hearted, and it might be too early for me to ask, so feel free to ignore the question - but did they put her down without asking your permission? That would seem to be very unusual to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ShivaDark

My eldest cat Pickles was ran over on Valentine's Day. She was six years old and dumb as stump but would play fetch better than some dogs. She was a very vocal cat so now it feels like something is missing without her adorable meowing. I miss her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

This morning I went to my chinchillas cage to fill up his food bowl and found him on his side, he had passed away during the night. I am devastated he was only 5 years old, we think he may have choked. RIP Gonzo xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Our dogs mammy (the goldie in the pic) passed away last night, no medications were working and she was too weak for surgery so her owners let her go. I'll miss having her around every summer, and her visits with her owners whenever they came up to ours for bbqs. She was a great dog, at least we still have the memory of her with our own dog, they're like complete opposites yet so similar in many ways!

2 months now and I'm able to deal with it fairly well but I still miss him every day. I still don't feel right throwing away scraps of meat, I was eating yesterday's leftovers for my lunch today and there were some grizzly bits that i didn't want but he would have devoured. That one still gets me

One of the things I never thought would bother me is now starting to hit and I sort of wish I was aware of it years ago. Thats family photographs, it a sort of constant reminder thats never going to go. I know in times ahead i'll look at them fondly but at the minute it seems like all those photos are wasted because they make me think of things that id rather not remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Gael23 wrote: »
    One of the things I never thought would bother me is now starting to hit and I sort of wish I was aware of it years ago. Thats family photographs, it a sort of constant reminder thats never going to go. I know in times ahead i'll look at them fondly but at the minute it seems like all those photos are wasted because they make me think of things that id rather not remember.

It takes time for the Sorrow to go away, there is no timeline but yours and the day WILL come when you can look back on old photo's with a proud smile on your face,

Best of Luck

Socks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

We lost jake yesterday. He's given me over 15 years of wonderful memories. He was an incredibly intelligent and compassionate animal and everyone who met him fell in love with him, even dog haters loved him, he was just kind of dog. I'll never forget all those games of fetch where you would steal the ball and hide in your bed, your numerous escape attempts as a pup chasing you up and down the road, the time you jumped out the living room window, the time you got on the kitchen table when I wasn't looking and ate the breakfast scraps, all the lazy afternoons we had walking and playing, all the naps, how you used to know when I was upset or tired and wouldn't leave me.

When you went into liver failure we thought that was it but you somehow pulled through and had another two and a half great years in you. I'm sorry that I wasn't there in the end, I wish we had some time to say goodbye. That's the worst part about emigrating. I hadn't seen you since January, at least we had fun then.

I'm glad my mum was there with you and that she made sure you were happy and not afraid and that you had one last Easter egg, this one was bought just for you, not stolen like all the other ones you've managed to have. I'll always miss you. I count myself lucky to have had you in my life for so long.

Rest in peace old boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭heldel00

My dog died on Wed night and can honestly say my heart is broken. Rat poison he got at a neighbour's farm.
    We got him the day after we moved into our home three years ago and he was just a beautiful, loveable dog. Atmosphere is so different in the house. We walked him twice a day if not more and a sunny day like today was just a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Dandelion6

heldel00 wrote: »
    My dog died on Wed night and can honestly say my heart is broken. Rat poison he got at a neighbour's farm.
    We got him the day after we moved into our home three years ago and he was just a beautiful, loveable dog. Atmosphere is so different in the house. We walked him twice a day if not more and a sunny day like today was just a killer.

So sorry for your loss. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Our newest addition to the family, Ariel the budgie, died suddenly today :( We only got her a month and a half ago. She was such a character and so full of energy. It's so heartbreaking to loose a pet, a family member, so young and so unexpectedly. Sleep tight Ariel. Thank you for being such a good friend to Daz. Even if it was for too short a time. Love you. XxX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sorry for your loss.

Coming close to the 3 month mark and only now I'm beginning to enjoy the memories I've been left with. This may not make sense but now I can start to cherish the good memories of the 15 years we had together rather than just wishing he's still here. Of course I miss him and I always will but I guess one comes to accept it and for us it was fairly well expected so we didn't have to endure the shock of losing him suddenly or in some unfortunate event that some people here have been faced with.
    As well as that, its only now I want another dog, had expected that to come sooner but its taken 3 months.

Coming close to the 3 month mark and only now I'm beginning to enjoy the memories I've been left with. This may not make sense but now I can start to cherish the good memories of the 15 years we had together rather than just wishing he's still here. Of course I miss him and I always will but I guess one comes to accept it and for us it was fairly well expected so we didn't have to endure the shock of losing him suddenly or in some unfortunate event that some people here have been faced with.
    As well as that, its only now I want another dog, had expected that to come sooner but its taken 3 months.

Wow 15 years. We only had Dusty 2 half years and we were heartbroken when he died so I can only imagine how hard it was for you.
    We had that awkward conversation about getting another dog but baby is due in October so we either get one now and have it trained by Oct or wait until baby is a bit older. Think we'll go for the latter as I'm just not ready. Still miss the feckin eegit like mad!

Wow 15 years. We only had Dusty 2 half years and we were heartbroken when he died so I can only imagine how hard it was for you.
    We had that awkward conversation about getting another dog but baby is due in October so we either get one now and have it trained by Oct or wait until baby is a bit older. Think we'll go for the latter as I'm just not ready. Still miss the feckin eegit like mad!

He died 12 days after his 15th birthday, we had him since 9wks so not far off 15 with us. Im 23 so we as good as grew up together, thats probably the hardest bit.
    In relation to getting another, theres no right or wrong answer to this but I wouldn't let the baby stop you, With proper training and boundaries set early on you shouldn't have problems.

• Advertisement

He died 12 days after his 15th birthday, we had him since 9wks so not far off 15 with us. Im 23 so we as good as grew up together, thats probably the hardest bit.
    In relation to getting another, theres no right or wrong answer to this but I wouldn't let the baby stop you, With proper training and boundaries set early on you shouldn't have problems.

Yeah you could be right. Some people would say if you have baby and puppy growing up together there'd be no jealousy but $hitty nappies and puppy training pads at the same time could be bit of a nightmare!
    Best of luck with your new doggy. Let us know how you get on

Advertisement