Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

0177acd44cf7a7ba0688cd94a353de02ef0d7e95ec_zpsxlsgalnp.jpg
    Tee%20Cute_zps7og9whm4.jpg
    0134e8bea8e97a5a2d7597514775911573fb7b098c_zpsxgollm4a.jpg

Tegan 2005(ish] - 2015.

Goodbye. Good dog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Gorgeous little dog kylith.
    The kindest thing we can do for our best friends is put them first x
    RIP Tegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Poor little Tegan, but so lucky to have you to put her needs first Kylith, so that she did not suffer at all. She looks like a real character. Hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It takes time for the Sorrow to go away, there is no timeline but yours and the day WILL come when you can look back on old photo's with a proud smile on your face,

Best of Luck

Socks

Im actually finding this starting to happen now which is good. You look back with happy memories I guess. I actually came across a photo a few days ago of the first day we brought him home:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Gael23 wrote: »
    Im actually finding this starting to happen now which is good. You look back with happy memories I guess. I actually came across a photo a few days ago of the first day we brought him home:)

visit_zpshkjbugjv.jpg

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

It's so weird how every now and then out of the blue you get hit with a fresh wave of grief. I was enjoying the lovely weather over the weekend and Henry would've loved it. He loved lying in the grass under the trees in the sun in a particular spot, in the shade but looking up at the sun with his eyes closed. He used to fall asleep with his head in my lap, like a sack of potatoes :pac:
    I have an urn and a scatter box of his ashes and I still don't know if I want to scatter some of his ashes. He also had a favourite spot in the phoenix park that he absolutely loved.
    I miss him so much all the time, even though I have Duke, Cherie, Thor and Loki, I still feel like there's someone missing. It's been just over a year since I had him put to sleep and I still look for him or think I hear him barking, he had a very distinctive, rarely heard bark.
    Everybody always still talks about him, he was a big part of our lives and the lives of our friends.
    I feel proud of Henry for opening people's eyes up about big dogs and how gentle they can be. We met many people when we were out and about who, over time, changed from being afraid of big dogs like Henry to coming over to give him a cuddle because he was such a placid dog. It makes me happy to think of all the people who knew him as a gentle happy dog.
    I miss my best friend.

Happens me every day, its not weird but part of the process I guess. I cant call it grief any more though more just things happen that remind me of him all the time.
    Yesterday I was out in the garden in the sunshine and a Cat appeared on one of the walls. Theres no way that would have been allowed 3 months ago!
    Then later I went out the front to cut the grass and when I came back in I realised I had locked the gate and asked myself why the hell did I do that?? Just 15 years of habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The grass near my house had been cut yesterday. Tegan always loved rolling in fresh-cut grass then coming to me with a huge dopey grin looking to be disentangled from her lead. People must have been wondering who the crazy lady walking along bawling was.

It's my birthday today. The first in 15 that he hasn't been here.
    I miss him every day but I guess today I feel it al little more.

It's my birthday today. The first in 15 that he hasn't been here.
    I miss him every day but I guess today I feel it al little more.

When you are making your Dinner today, his Spirit will be around, looking for treats.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭capefear

Long time reader of this thread and first time poster. Our beautiful little fellow Jack, went to rainbow bridge last thurs week and the house is so quiet without him. I miss the sound of his paws on the wooden floors :-(

Its amazing how something so small can steal your heart.

He was very sick last May and we taught he was gone but thankfully two days later he was back to his normally self, the vet told us than that he had liver disease so every day since was a bonus. He took a turn for the worst on Monday and we rushed him to the vet where they said he would be fine but it wasn't to be. Thankfully I made it home that thur's and for his final breaths he had the people who love him most with him. He was 18 when he passed and had a good life and was loved so much.

I would love to have had one more day with him but get some comfort from the fact that he didn't suffer and wasn't alone.

I have included two pictures one of him asleep on his favourite couch and the second, if you notice a little mark on his nose that's a small bit of food, as long as I remember him he always had something there, either food, or dirt from digging.

Thank you Jack for such lovely memories and we will miss you buddy

18 is amazing!
    I also wished for a few more days but it didn't happen and looking back I'm glad it didn't. We found out on the Wednesday night that we had come to the end of the road this time after he had been very sick for a few days. The following Monday was my graduation so I wanted to keep him with us until after then but he died on Thursday afternoon.
    Im glad we let nature take its course and didnt do anything to postpone the inevitable. Despite a great quality of life, he had been in declining health for the last 3 years and it came time for him to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

I moved to the US in 1992, and my spaniel was 14 years old. She had been abandoned as a puppy-probably because she was a bitch- and was found in town whimpering under a car. I took her home to the country and she had a great life.If she was not in the garden you could hear her shrieking excitedly somewhere over the land as she chased foxes and hares. She was slowing down, but living in the country was still out day and night following scents and trails.
    One day in 1997 she walked to the windows where my bedroom was and howled. My parents took her inside but she was still restless, so they fetched one of my old sweaters from my room and placed it in her box. She sniffed it, stopped crying, and snuggled into it, and later that night she died.
    Miss her, but what a great dog she was.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Well, its been a year today since we lost Rusty. The tears are less, but they do still come. There are more smiles though as I remember all the fun times we had. My heart is still broken from losing him though, and I regret not being able to help him more. He was definitely my soul dog, and no other will ever replace him.

CgDlyBXKmlQyN5ztydYaAgCkn9HppnTwsKq1KCB8_S8=w267-h200-p-no

010.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

The last stories posted here are heartbreaking! :(
    And the pets in the photos are absolutely amazing.
    A kiss to each of them.

Not having a great week for some reason, been missing him quite a lot.
    First it was my birthday which was something I didn't expect to hit me the way it did. Then my mum was sick in hospital for a night which left me home alone for a while than night, the silence just freaked me out which has never happened me before. During that period I hard noises of Dogs barking in gardens around us that just hit a nerve.

Not having a great week for some reason, been missing him quite a lot.
    First it was my birthday which was something I didn't expect to hit me the way it did. Then my mum was sick in hospital for a night which left me home alone for a while than night, the silence just freaked me out which has never happened me before. During that period I hard noises of Dogs barking in gardens around us that just hit a nerve.

Totally understand this.

Your Birthday and other significant dates will bring some sadness for a while, because these were extra special days and don't seem the same without our Special Friend's around.

Over time the sadness will lessen.

Hope you're Mam is doing better now.

Best of luck,

Socks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Had to put this gorgeous soul to sleep a few weeks back.
    Her name was Raven.
    She just wandered in one day in 2005 as a kitten... She adopted us as much as us her.
    One of the most affectionate cats you'd ever meet.
    I came down the stairs one morning about a month ago... She was on her back on the hall floor unable to turn herself over and wailing at me.
    Took her to the vet who diagnosed her on the spot.
    Saddle thrombosis... A common enough condition in cats and with a very low survival rate.
    It cuts off the supply of blood to the back legs and the cost also loose control over bladder and bowel movements.
    She last 4 days in the vet but had to make the tough decision and let her go...

We have owned 8 different cats over the last 13 years.... She was something quite special.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Saddle thrombosis... A common enough condition in cats and with a very low survival rate.

I'm so sad for your story :(
    What strikes me is that your vet said that it's a common condition in cats, and this alarms me!
    RIP Raven, you were beautiful... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Had to put this gorgeous soul to sleep a few weeks back.
    Her name was Raven.
    She just wandered in one day in 2005 as a kitten... She adopted us as much as us her.
    One of the most affectionate cats you'd ever meet.
    I came down the stairs one morning about a month ago... She was on her back on the hall floor unable to turn herself over and wailing at me.
    Took her to the vet who diagnosed her on the spot.
    It cuts off the supply of blood to the back legs and the cost also loose control over bladder and bowel movements.
    She last 4 days in the vet but had to make the tough decision and let her go...

We have owned 8 different cats over the last 13 years.... She was something quite special.
    Gorgeous pics - so sleek. Sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement

sunset_zpsoxhfdgt5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

It is with great sadness that I report the passing of our Hayley. She was just a few weeks short of her 18th birthday.

The last couple of years I suppose she had been declining, her hearing and eyesight were no longer great but she was well able to find her way around, she could eat like a horse and was well able for (shortish) walks which she still loved, slept plenty and toddled around as she pleased.

However the last two weeks or so she went into a very rapid decline, even though she was still eating normally she got very thin, since Thursday she was struggling for energy and stopped eating, she struggled to stay on her feet so we made the decision to take the last sad journey to the vet.

I like to think she had a good life, she was family, great mother to 7 other Lhasa Apso pups and as far as we know she outlived them all.

She will be greatly missed - RIP Hayley

(Photo from 2 years ago)

DSC_4925.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

So sorry crowded house, she was well loved and always looked happy in the pics you put up. I always noticed her as my Lhasa is so like her in looks, sweet dreams Hayley.x

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

We lost our dog Chloe (collie/sheltie cross) two months ago today. We had her for 16 incredible years and she gave us so much love and happiness...what I hope we also were able to give to her. She had a litany of health problems for the past two to three years but was such a fighter and none of it seemed to phase her...until it became too much. She was put down after a battle with cancer, arthritis, and a heart condition, but she was the happiest dog I've ever known, right until her last day with us. And we were all there by her side when it happened in the vet's. Such a wonderful dog who can never ever be replaced. We got her on February 20th 1999 when she was only 5 weeks old and I was 11. So throughout my entire teenage years and for most of my twenties, she was the most incredible pet I could have ever asked for. <3 She had such a fun loving and quirky personality that everyone who ever met her seemed to always remember. And the vet even said on numerous occasions that if she was a human, she would be in a medical journal! I really do miss her so much.

Here's a photo I took of her some time last summer. Her in a typical pose when she would rest her chin on the couch right beside you just looking for some affection....or a cheeky treat! ;)

11147058_10153543361797289_5806109628961851433_n.jpg?oh=32bb44eb023ccfc9e20596cc35b450f8&oe=55E91494

And here's another one of her from 'the big freeze' in December 2010. One of the rare occasions where she had a bit of fun in the snow :)

11200927_10153543357327289_7738050327694526015_n.jpg?oh=56482ebae46f5a5ee3b84f4752e93bd9&oe=55F01E2E

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭littlecat

We had to make the decision to send our darling 15 year old cat on her final journey at the weekend. Her kidneys were failing so we did what we could with her diet but by the end it just wasn't working. She was like a kitten who never grew up and I swear would have lived on kisses and cuddles alone.
    My heart has for the second time been broken by a ball of fur but I'm also relieved to not wake up every day wondering if we should or shouldn't. Miss her so much already but I miss the old her; I'm glad her gentle little soul is safe and well again x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

littlecat wrote: »
    We had to make the decision to send our darling 15 year old cat on her final journey at the weekend. Her kidneys were failing so we did what we could with her diet but by the end it just wasn't working. She was like a kitten who never grew up and I swear would have lived on kisses and cuddles alone.
    My heart has for the second time been broken by a ball of fur but I'm also relieved to not wake up every day wondering if we should or shouldn't. Miss her so much already but I miss the old her; I'm glad her gentle little soul is safe and well again x

This is always the hardest part....
    Sounds like she was a lovely little cat :( lucky you to have had her for so long :(

aonb wrote: »
    This is always the hardest part....
    Sounds like she was a lovely little cat :( lucky you to have had her for so long :(

She had the very best life and everything she could wish for - only way to treat them. I promised her I'd mind her til the end so the vet came to the house so she wouldn't have the stress of the trip and I kept her in my arms while he sent her on her way.
    I was doing well but have physical pain this evening! Lost another beautiful girl two years ago so I know this bit passes. She had the same passing and knowing I was with her to the end was a comfort as time went on.
    This thread was a great idea - people are sympathetic but unless you're an animal person you don't truly get it.

She had the very best life and everything she could wish for - only way to treat them. I promised her I'd mind her til the end so the vet came to the house so she wouldn't have the stress of the trip and I kept her in my arms while he sent her on her way.
    I was doing well but have physical pain this evening! Lost another beautiful girl two years ago so I know this bit passes. She had the same passing and knowing I was with her to the end was a comfort as time went on.
    This thread was a great idea - people are sympathetic but unless you're an animal person you don't truly get it.

That pain will pass, it takes a few weeks but it will. You already understand that it was her time to go and thats going to help you deal with it so much better.
    I do sometimes regret not taking Andy home to die in his own space and in familiar surroundings but it was just impossible and I knew it was. I posted this before but he spent his last 2 days in the vets and I never went in there after we first brought him in, partly because until a few hours before he died I didnt understand the severity of things. I wished I went in that morning when I knew he wasn't going to make it but people told me since that my last memory is the best one, that is with him asleep in my arms on the way into the vets. Any they are right because if I was with him right at the end it wouldn't have been so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

You should check out The Ralph Site on Facebook. It's a bit like this thread; lots of sweet stories from people about their beloved pets who have died.

• Advertisement

That pain will pass, it takes a few weeks but it will. You already understand that it was her time to go and thats going to help you deal with it so much better.
    I do sometimes regret not taking Andy home to die in his own space and in familiar surroundings but it was just impossible and I knew it was. I posted this before but he spent his last 2 days in the vets and I never went in there after we first brought him in, partly because until a few hours before he died I didnt understand the severity of things. I wished I went in that morning when I knew he wasn't going to make it but people told me since that my last memory is the best one, that is with him asleep in my arms on the way into the vets. Any they are right because if I was with him right at the end it wouldn't have been so good.

Hey don't ever beat yourself up over that, sounds like a very different situation. With my girl it was a gradual decline where we interceded, it sounds like your boy went downhill more rapidly. Your last memory is a lovely one - wrapped up safe, bringing him somewhere where he'd be taken care of? Many an animal would wish for last days like that.
    Sorry for your loss x

Advertisement