Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭James Delaney

I have a dog 3,yrs old - got him from <snip> He's my best friend. I can imagine how all people feel when they lose their dog. It happened to me 20 yrs ago.

I think all of you should take solice from the fact you gave your dog a good home & a good life. Unlike so many animals, your dog was not mistreated. Dogs tend to be almost strapped to their owner & that space will be empty unless to get another dog, which you should consider when you feel the time is right.

In this regard perhaps you should consider doing a kindly act & saving 1 a dog from an <snip> dog pound -,you will feel the better for it.

Mod: sorry, it's against the charter to recommend/discuss/link to individual rescues in this forum.
    Please don't respond to this edit on thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

This post has been deleted.
    So sad - 18 years is a great stretch, so I'm sure you've many happy memories. Our small girl is 16 years and on a special diet for kidney disease, so I fear that she's on borrowed time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

We have relatives living abroad and they are coming back soon for a holiday as they do every summer. Their kids range from 17 down so they have no memory of coming to Ireland before we had a Dog. Going to be strange

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Our 8 year old goldfish Bishy passed away today. My boyfriend got her for me on our 1st anniversary so it's definitely a tough loss to take. Sleep tight Bishy xxx

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Had to put our 15 year old German Shepard too sleep this morning, his back legs were giving him trouble since march,having trouble getting up sitting down, when we came down this morning to let him out , the poor fella couldn't get up at all no matter how hard he tried , we rang the vet and he came out and he said he was suffering and it would be best to put him to sleep, so hard to watch :( but at least he's not suffering now .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

My parents beloved Rough Collie called Cassie died in her sleep last night.

An absolute dote of a dog...a quietly intelligent big softie who was a half decent guard dog when she put her mind to it. Also a calming big sister to a crazy Jack Russell...despite being polar opposites they got on great together.

My parents are devastated...haven't seen them as upset since previous dog passed away about 14 years ago.

I haven't been home in a bit myself so can't remember the last time I saw her...hopefully I gave her a hug and a rub before hopping into the car :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I always fell a little sad when I get an email updating me to this thread, but the love and happiness that the people on here shared with their beloved pet is heartwarming and uplifting.

They were a great privilege to have and will always be remembered.

R.I.P to all our departed friends

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

I followed this thread for some time before it came time to post a memory but ever since it does feel different coming on here. Thats a mixture of good and bad because I know what everyone feels and you all know what I feel. Ive said numerous times to people over the past few months that the emotions you feel on losing a pet isn't something you can understand until you're there, at least I didn't anyway.
    Today my mum was going through old photo albums going back through years and years. Among them she found one of me holding him the first day we took him home. Over time these memories do turn into happy ones but there are times where they still catch you in the wrong place and I guess that might never go fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

My best friend suddenly passed away today :(

Sandy my 12 year old English Cocker Spaniel. I've had him since he was a 12 week old pup.

He was getting very old. Slightly deaf. He had cataracts. Slept a lot. But he seemed happy and in no discomfort.

I was rubbing his ears just the way he likes, then let him out. Since it was raining I looked out to see if he was ok.

He didn't seem right, the way he was lying I the grass. The look on his face.

I ran out to him but it was too late. He looked at me as he died. I think it was a heart attack.

I don't think I've cried so much in my life. The house feels so empty without him.

tsyZLg2.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

What a lovely boy.
    But you know you should comfort yourself with the fact that he died at home, going about his daily business, was in no pain or discomfort, and was not sick and dwindling - but went off easily and painlessly and you beside him - what more as pet owners can we possibly hope for. Lucky you, and lucky him.
    It will be horrible getting used to him not being there - he looks like he was a little character - its so sad and horrible and lonely, but it does get better - slowly but surely.

Hugs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,273 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Its great to see all the support here for people when they lose a pet. Pets are part of the family so it's only natural that you would grieve for their passing just as much (if not more sometimes!) as a human.

Our little boy has been gone 6 weeks now, we are slowly adjusting to life without him but in the last week again I have been thinking about him a lot. We got his ashes back a few weeks back and that was very comforting because at least we have him back with us in some form again.

My dad was devastated because he spent the most time with him, taking him for walks everyday, they both adored each other :)

Recently though, my dad has been giving the impression that he would be happy to get another dog at some stage, but not just yet, it's still a bit raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

^ Yup..best to leave a few months or so. The new edition will be his own lad or lady and not living in the shadow of the old.

Don't rush it. I know well you want to fill that void as soon as possible but wait a while. It's 6 months for us now and we are starting to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

My heartfelt sympathy to those suffering the recent loss of a fur baby. On Monday it will be 14 weeks since we lost our little girl, since then I haven't been able to get through one day without crying. She was an absolute darling, loved by all who met her.

Today, we took her baby brother to the vet (thankfully something minor). It was the first time we'd been back there since Muffit's death and we were dreading it. Our wonderful vet, who had been incredible with Muffit, walked out of the surgery and hugged me and we had a long chat about grieving the loss of a furry family member.

She said "no matter how much your heart is hurting, try to remember that for every day of Muffit's life, she was loved and only knew happiness"
    I came out of there with a sense of peace in my heart.

Those same words apply to all of you on this thread, no matter how raw the pain of losing them is, our fur kids had wonderful lives and so much love, they enriched our lives and they would not have asked for any more than that.

Sending hugs to you all. x

Today has been the first full day without my Sandy. The first time in 12 years he hasn't been by my side. Because I work from home he was always here next to me.

It's also the first day I've been alone in the house, with the kids back to school and the wife working. And I haven't been able to stop crying… I'm a grown man and I just can't stop crying…

I think the reason I've taken Sandy's death so hard, is because I never resolved in my head, that he would be gone some day. I knew he had far fewer days ahead of him than behind him, it's just I always thought he'd be by my side. We were so inseparable.

I know he's now running up and down the stairs with ease. Jumping up on to the couches. Rolling around in the grass. Sunning himself.

I just wish he was beside me now… :(

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

mad muffin wrote: »
    Today has been the first full day without my Sandy. The first time in 12 years he hasn't been by my side. Because I work from home he was always here next to me.

It's also the first day I've been alone in the house, with the kids back to school and the wife working. And I haven't been able to stop crying… I'm a grown man and I just can't stop crying…

I think the reason I've taken Sandy's death so hard, is because I never resolved in my head, that he would be gone some day. I knew he had far fewer days ahead of him than behind him, it's just I always thought he'd be by my side. We were so inseparable.

I know he's now running up and down the stairs with ease. Jumping up on to the couches. Rolling around in the grass. Sunning himself.

Please, please don't even try to stop the tears from falling, with crying eventually comes a healing. You've lost a beloved family member...a dear friend. Like you, I work from home, so for eleven years, I'd never known a day or even more than a few hours without my little girl by my side.

We all know and understand how much your heart is hurting right now, so this is a great place to post, surrounded by others who have been there and know your pain.
    Take care.

Hugs.

I wrote a post very similar to this in January. It hurts a lot at the moment but over the next few weeks that will ease, it doesn't seem like that now but it will.
    We had a rough few months before Andy died and we just wanted to get him through one last christmas, which we did by 2 weeks. Having said that in his final days things unfolded amazingly quickly and none of us had time to process it until after he died.
    The emptiness hurts like hell but you adapt to it. You stop having weird dreams and hearing strange noises in the middle of the night. I got him when I was 9 and I'm 24 now so we grew up together, while we did know for a few months that time was ticking with his list of ailments, it hits you like a ton of bricks when the day finally comes.

Please, please don't even try to stop the tears from falling, with crying eventually comes a healing. You've lost a beloved family member...a dear friend. Like you, I work from home, so for eleven years, I'd never known a day or even more than a few hours without my little girl by my side.

We all know and understand how much your heart is hurting right now, so this is a great place to post, surrounded by others who have been there and know your pain.
    Take care.

Hugs.

Thank you for your kind words.

Reading through the posts, although hard, and brings on the tears. Also makes me feel, that I'm not alone.

Thank you for your kind words.

Reading through the posts, although hard, and brings on the tears. Also makes me feel, that I'm not alone.
    Absolutely not, I have often said to people that its a feeling which is hard to understand until your faced with it. He was the exact same as mine too!

• Advertisement

My dad was the exact same mad muffin and there is absolutely no shame in crying - you're a grown man, so what?? You lost a family member, you are in mourning!! I had never seen my dad cry, not even when he lost his mum and dad (not to say he wasn't very sad when that happened of course) but I watched him go upstairs to his room after we had put Taz down, and I followed him upand he was sitting on the bed blubbing like a baby. He absolutely adored him.

There is no shame whatsoever in expressing your sadness, and if that means having a good aul cry then so be it!

It'll get easier but you never forget them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

I unexpectedly lost Molly on Friday, a 10 year old golden cocker. She hadn't been well for a few weeks, but none of us (vet included) had any idea how ill she was. She showed very few signs.

I have had a lot of dogs and cats in my life, and losing a pet is always tough. Molly was something special though, we had a very close bond. She would follow me everywhere, room to room - sit by my side while I worked at home. We had absolute trust in each other, and it pains me that she had to spend her last three nights in the vet surgery without me...

I live on my own with another dog and the two of us are both sitting here on the couch both trying to console each other..

I know it's early, but I can't help but think getting another dog sooner rather than later would help, especially with the other dog so used to having a companion.

ocallagh wrote: »
    I unexpectedly lost Molly on Friday, a 10 year old golden cocker. She hadn't been well for a few weeks, but none of us (vet included) had any idea how ill she was. She showed very few signs.

I have had a lot of dogs and cats in my life, and losing a pet is always tough. Molly was something special though, we had a very close bond. She would follow me everywhere, room to room - sit by my side while I worked at home. We had absolute trust in each other, and it pains me that she had to spend her last three nights in the vet surgery without me...

I live on my own with another dog and the two of us are both sitting here on the couch both trying to console each other..

I know it's early, but I can't help but think getting another dog sooner rather than later would help, especially with the other dog so used to having a companion.

So sorry for your loss. Such a beauty.

I know what your saying. After initially saying, it will be a while before I can think of getting another dog. I'm already thinking I'd get one sooner rather than later.

It's hard living without a Cocker. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

So sorry for your loss. Such a beauty.

I know what your saying. After initially saying, it will be a while before I can think of getting another dog. I'm already thinking I'd get one sooner rather than later.

It's hard living without a Cocker. :(

It certainly is.. they are lovely dogs and I'm very sorry to hear of your loss so recently too.

I find when I'm out and about with friends/family I can hold it back as best I can, but coming home, everywhere I turn I'm reminded of her which inevitably leaves me in a complete mess. Prior to last week I could count the amount of times I've cried as an adult on one hand... I don't know where I'm at now!

I've been on every rescue site out there today, but I find myself looking for another Molly which I'm not sure is a healthy thing. I'll never replace her, and I don't want to, but I do think I've fallen for cockers.

ocallagh wrote: »
    !
    I've been on every rescue site out there today, but I find myself looking for another Molly which I'm not sure is a healthy thing. I'll never replace her, and I don't want to, but I do think I've fallen for cockers.

And that's they very reason I think it's important to wait a while. You will never, ever replace the one you list so I think it's important to allow yourself to deal with that loss before moving on.We will definitely be getting another cocker eventually.

I think we most likely get another bichon too at some stage - maybe after a year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭too little too late

My wonderful newfie Kramer passed away on Sunday very suddenly. He was just coming up to 9 and I've had him since 8 weeks old. His tummy somehow flipped on Sunday morning and i rushed him to ucd but they couldn't save him, and he fell asleep. I'll miss him so so much and never forget him. He was such a gentle giant and everyone loved him. I will never forget you, Rest in Peace Kramer xx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

My wonderful newfie Kramer passed away on Sunday very suddenly. He was just coming up to 9 and I've had him since 8 weeks old. His tummy somehow flipped on Sunday morning and i rushed him to ucd but they couldn't save him, and he fell asleep. I'll miss him so so much and never forget him. He was such a gentle giant and everyone loved him. I will never forget you, Rest in Peace Kramer xx

Beautiful looking Kramer, so sad for your loss.

May he play happily on the Rainbow Ridge with all our precious Friends until we come to collect them.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

R.I.P :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Sorry to hear that, Kramer was an absolute stunner and I really enjoyed seeing his gentle face in your photos.

Advertisement