Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

katydid wrote: »
    When our dog was run over, I was heartbroken. My husband went out the next day and got a dog from the pound. I was so angry with him, but at the same time my heart went out to this poor bewildered dog who was running around peeing everywhere in his excitement and nervousness. I was crying and laughing and giving out at the same time. Before long, Garp became part of the family - we didn't forget Harry, but it helped to make things easier.

:) I already like Garp and I'm a cat person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

:) I already like Garp and I'm a cat person.

I was reading "The World According to Garp" when we got him, so he had to be Garp. He's now in doggy heaven...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Had to take my wonderful, cranky old girl to the vets today and say goodbye, she was ready I think, so peaceful and still. 15 years of fun, thanks Jess, we'll all miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Had to take my wonderful, cranky old girl to the vets today and say goodbye, she was ready I think, so peaceful and still. 15 years of fun, thanks Jess, we'll all miss you.

So sad for you DWW,

it's so hard to say Goodbye after the wonderful times you had together.

15 years is a serious amount of love and fun and it's heartbreaking to say farewell to them as they have to go.

The joy and happiness we get from our little friends was more than you will be suffering right now.

That feeling will eventually overpower the sorrow that is with you now, and you will look on her life time as a Very Special time when you shared the good times.

RIP Jessy Girl

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just said goodbye this morning to my darling 14 year old Rough Collie. She was such a wonderful friend and a huge sadness grips the house right now. My eyes are sore from crying. I know it's "only a dog" and it would be worse had it been one of the kids or grandchildren but I feel empty without her.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's never "only" a dog. It's family, my heart hurts for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just said goodbye this morning to my darling 14 year old Rough Collie. She was such a wonderful friend and a huge sadness grips the house right now. My eyes are sore from crying. I know it's "only a dog" and it would be worse had it been one of the kids or grandchildren but I feel empty without her.

That is never,ever the case. I got my dog at the time of my first Communion when I was 9. He died a week before I graduated with my degree 15 years later so we grew up together. He was as good as a child my parents never had, especially in the last few months before he died he slept at the end of their bed at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 macser

I know it's "only a dog" and it would be worse had it been one of the kids or grandchildren but I feel empty without her.

My heart goes out to you and all the others who've suffered this kind of loss. Seeing people share their grief gives me some comfort. As does being able to share my own.

Although it's different, the bond is no less profound than a human relationship. And when they are gone, or when their passing is near, it hurts like hell. You can't feel loss without love. Love doesn't need to be excused. :)

One of my companions(dogs) may have a brain tumour. I know in my own heart that's exactly what it is. There's a possibility that I will have to make the same decision that so many other's have done, within the week. Maybe tomorrow.

I can't allow him to suffer pain and misery just to placate myself. I don't want it to go that far.

He and the others have been a source of comfort and joy for so long. 10 and a half years in his case.

But when he needs me the most I can't help him.

I feel so helpless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 macser

I know it's "only a dog" and it would be worse had it been one of the kids or grandchildren but I feel empty without her.

My heart goes out to you and all the others who've suffered this kind of loss. Seeing people share their grief gives me some comfort. As does being able to share my own.

Although it's different, the bond is no less profound than a human relationship. And when they are gone, or when their passing is near, it hurts like hell. You can't feel loss without love. Love doesn't need to be excused. :)

One of my companions(dogs) may have a brain tumour. I know in my own heart that's exactly what it is. There's a possibility that I will have to make the same decision that so many other's have done, within the week. Maybe tomorrow.

I can't allow him to suffer pain and misery just to placate myself. I don't want it to go that far.

He and the others have been a source of comfort and joy for so long. 10 and a half years in his case.

But when he needs me the most I can't make it better.

I feel so helpless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

macser wrote: »

But when he needs me the most I can't make it better.

I feel so helpless.

You're not helpless. It is the biggest and most painful part of "owning" a little furball or hairy person. Letting them go. And go in peace to the big field in the sky. I left it last way too long with a cat of mine about 20 years back - riddled with cancer as it turns out - .....when she finally made it to the vet and I regret it to this day. Molly should have died at 10 not 12.

• Advertisement

You're not helpless. It is the biggest and most painful part of "owning" a little furball or hairy person. Letting them go. And go in peace to the big field in the sky. I left it last way too long with a cat of mine about 20 years back - riddled with cancer as it turns out - .....when she finally made it to the vet and I regret it to this day. Molly should have died at 10 not 12.
    I will remember that day for a long time, particularly the 4 hours after the Vet told us there was nothing he could do until he died. The vet told us numerous times in the last 3 years that we just needed to keep him as healthy as possible for as long as we could, and Im confident his quality of life was good up to just a few days before we lost him. At least they told us that there was nothing else we could have done to keep him going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Just waiting for the vet to arrive later in the morning, our beloved 12 years and 8 month old greyhound Rossa will be joining all the other truly well loved departed pets. She was given 2 days to live about 6 weeks ago, so we had those wonderful healthy weeks of extra memories, and for that we are grateful.

All devastated here and am a little anxious as we have 2 other dogs, one was 7 recently and has separation anxiety, but he does not know life without her and she was the boss of us all. Our other dog is a parson terrier about 5 and has always stood up to Rossa in the most hilarious way only a small terrier can try to stand up to such a big dog!

Rossa has always been precious, we always said she never realised she was a dog and has brought many wonderful memories to us all. It is hard to let her go but her health failed her. She has never up to 6 weeks ago been to the vet other than annual shots, but she had a great life.

She thought the terrier to do what we call the dawn chorus, if either of us left the house, the 3 would howl, starting with Rossa. The sound was unbelieveable, and it has taken Terry the terrier such a long time to master. So her legacy will live on.

We will miss her, and we are happy she found us because no one else could give her the attention that being such a precious princess deserves.

The vet arrived, all done with dignity. A tough 3 days, off to sleep it all off now we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    We will miss her, and we are happy she found us because no one else could give her the attention that being such a precious princess deserves.

This is for sure, animals know where to go to receive love and give out 10 tmes more love. She knew you are as precious as her.
    RIP Rossa :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

It's taken me a month to post here as it all seems unreal, still.

As some posters may know I had 7 bunnies, 5 of which were born at home when we rescued the beautiful Joon.

Sadly we have lost 4 of her beautiful babies. They went downhill very quickly after contracting airborne pneumonia. They were rushed to the vets, who did everything he could but sadly we lost them over 3 days. My heart is absolutely broken as I can hand on heart say they wanted for absolutely nothing, hutches full of yummy hay, plenty of straw, a huge, fenced in run which they had access to all day, a warm shed for cold nights and more fruit and veg than they could ever dream of :) To be honest that's what's keeping me going. Knowing that we gave them the best lives possible, even if it was for just 3 and a half short years.

Love you so much Teddy, Mouse, Wilson and Fudge. Sleep tight angels xxxx

jellybear wrote: »
    To be honest that's what's keeping me going. Knowing that we gave them the best lives possible, even if it was for just 3 and a half short years.

this is what kept us going, we did not sleep well the past few nighs, other 2 dogs are looking for Rossa, and when Terry saw her after the vet had been, he was pawing at her to wake up, he always annoyed her and she was always quick to react.....but this time there was no reaction.

We all feel like a fish out of water, and not sure how we can get through the next few days. But at least I get back to work tomorrow.

I never knew such a feeling of complete loss, and I have had a lot of loss in my time. This time it's different.

So sorry for your loss lazeedaisy, will be thinking of you and your family. Give your doggies a big hug from me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Things will get easier eventually lazeedaisy and jellybear I wonder do we feel it harder when an animal close to us dies because that are completely unselfish. I know I still feel sad after my loss in September, but often I try and remember the funny nutcase she was, my sisters dog still seems to look for her when she comes over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

So I said goodbye to my sweet elegant lady Phoebe yesterday after 17 glorious years. She was diagnosed with kidney disease in February, which is not unusual at all for her age. I knew were on borrowed time, but with the help of good vets, the special k/d food and the Fortekor tablets, she had one more good year, and enjoyed catching the summer sun on the garden wall in the evenings (see photo).

She started going off her food about two weeks ago, and I brought her back to the vet after a week of this. Initially, they didn’t think it was a major issue, and gave her some injections, to stimulate her appetite and fight infection. Unfortunately, the injections didn’t really help, and she was going steadily downhill. When I put her in the carrier on Thursday to bring her back to the vets again, she had some kind of little fit, jerking for 20 seconds or so. I really thought it was the end, but she came out of it then. The vet kept her overnight, and they were able to get a line into her to push some fluids.

The results of blood tests on Friday showed that here renal functions were “off the scale”, so we knew we were at the end stage. They said they could keep her for a second night and push loads of fluids in, effectively doing dialysis. This might keep her going for a few more days or possibly even a couple of weeks. But I was terrified about the possibility of her dying at the vets – where she basically hated being. She had a reputation for giving out yards to the staff on her previous overnight stays there. I couldn’t allow her to die away from home, and possibly on her own overnight. So I decided to bring her home on Friday, and arrange a house call for over the weekend.

I was delighted to get her home, but there wasn’t really much of her spirit or character left at that stage. She went from the blanket, to the water bowl, to the litter tray and back to the blanket. She wasn’t interested in the specially purchased fillet steak, which she would normally take your hand off to scoff. We were just going to bed on Friday night, when she followed me into the sitting room. I sat on the couch, and she stretched up to me, so I lifted her up, and she mewed a bit, as if to ask me what was happening. I told her the story, and that it was OK for her to go. She settled down, had a little bit of purring, and slept for an hour or so on my knee, until I had to dash to the loo. I left her downstairs while I got some not very satisfactory sleep, and came down at about half-seven to check on her. She was very sleepy, with little response or reaction. I popped her onto my knee again, and we had some more quiet time. The vet rang when they opened, and I confirmed that she would call out around lunchtime.

Usual family stuff kicked in on Saturday morning. We had arranged for the others to go out, so it was just myself and herself for the last while. The vet drove up in an electrician’s van, which was slightly surreal. I thought for a minute it was some extreme disguise to avoid drawing attention to the nature of the call. The reality was less mundane – just that her husband had taken the family car with the child seat, so she had his van for the day. She was very gentle, and explained each step to me. There were lots of tears and some last snuggles and chats. She gave me a few minutes alone with her, and then took her off, leaving me in floods.

I’m actually doing surprisingly OK today. There is a huge gap, and each time I pass one of her sleeping spots, I look in as usual to see if I can stop in for a chat, and then reality hits. It’s becoming so obvious that she was such a fundamental part of everything that happened in the house and garden – every meal, every bedtime routine, every morning rising – a key part of the family.

I have absolutely no doubts that we did the right thing, as there was no pleasure or comfort left for her, and little dignity. It was really an honour to be with her as she died at home, in her own blanket. She gave us 17 glorious years of warmth, tenderness, chats, occasional singing (really, she’d join in the chorus) and countless headbutt-kisses and snuggles. She’ll always be in my heart.

RainyDay wrote: »
    S
    The results of blood tests on Friday showed that here renal functions were “off the scale”, so we knew we were at the end stage. They said they could keep her for a second night and push loads of fluids in, effectively doing dialysis. This might keep her going for a few more days or possibly even a couple of weeks. But I was terrified about the possibility of her dying at the vets – where she basically hated being. She had a reputation for giving out yards to the staff on her previous overnight stays there. I couldn’t allow her to die away from home, and possibly on her own overnight. So I decided to bring her home on Friday, and arrange a house call for over the weekend.
    This bit I can relate to strongly. The speed which things happen with end stage kidney failure is really hard to comprehend. We had less than a day from getting the blood test results to when Andy died. To be honest it all happened so fast I cant remember everything but on the last day, more bloods came in which told us it was over this time. I wanted him to die at home in his own bed but that proved impossible, he was gone 4 hours after that call. By then he was hooked up to so many things it wasn't ever going to happen but I only took that in afterwards.

Sometimes theres just nothing you or anyone else can do, no matter how much you want to. Like you, we thought we could prolong things for a few days. That was Thursday and my Graduation was the following Monday, was my Graduation from college but it just didn't happen that way.

Yes, the end did come quicker than I expected. When the vet told me over the phone on Thursday that he wasn't sure she was going to make it through the night, it really cut me. I might not have left her in there if I had known that was a serious risk. As it was, I was so relieved to get her back home for the final step.

If I had one criticism of the vets, it was that they didn't set our expectations for how quickly the final stage might be. I was was expecting something much more gradual, with perhaps other medication or other options along the way.

• Advertisement

Deaths in the family today!

I knew my old budgie Yellow has not been right, known it for a year now. But she was ok. I knew she'd get too old and die eventually. Birds have this habit of going downhill so fast they're actually jumping off a cliff. Yellow was grand this morning when I went into college. Having pissy little rows with Drake for standing on her tail. Got home from college at lunchtime and had a text off boyfriend, his 15 year old dog Puppy has just been put to sleep. He gets a lot more upset over this stuff than I do, so oh god, I looked into the cage and saw Yellow has to go today. She'd wasted away. Drake was also hassling her too much (also a sign with budgies - Drake was bottom of the pecking order so him trying to drive Yellow out is a natural shift of power). So I phoned the vet and booked Yellow in for a 6pm euthanasia. I didn't know how I'd break this to my boyfriend, but we'd manage.

4:30pm Yellow was in a small carry-cage ready for her final journey, when she looked at me, right at me with her little pink albino eye and slowly climbed down off her perch. Real slowly and careful. She even straightened up her tail, then gently lay down on her chest and closed her eyes. It took about 50 minutes but she died peacefully. My little star.

Her favourite music was the Doors or Black Sabbath. I listened to LA Woman earlier half expecting her to shout hello! Honestly it's such a relief. She didn't suffer and now she wont. She lived a long happy time with me and my boys, and I swear she looked me in the eye before she decided to die. Even my two younger guys seem happier. They probably are. We don't have to watch her waste away anymore.

RIP Puppy and Yellow!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

RainyDay wrote: »
    Yes, the end did come quicker than I expected. When the vet told me over the phone on Thursday that he wasn't sure she was going to make it through the night, it really cut me. I might not have left her in there if I had known that was a serious risk. As it was, I was so relieved to get her back home for the final step.

If I had one criticism of the vets, it was that they didn't set our expectations for how quickly the final stage might be. I was was expecting something much more gradual, with perhaps other medication or other options along the way.

I had only one experience of this in my life in a very young kitten that I had found stray. He was tiny and didn't grow up, he would drink more than he would eat, so I had some tests done and we found out that he had a severe kidney failure though it was only 6 weeks old. I did my best, fluids everyday, renal food, dedicated medicines. He was keeping on alright and was full of energy though he wasn't growing one gram.
    Then, on an evening, all of a sudden he got worse, he lost strength and fell down on a side. He shouted a loud meow, I knew it was time. I ran to a clinic and they put an end to his sufferings.
    I've never got over this tragedy.

I have another elder cat who has been suffering from kidneys disease for the past 10 years. So far we had much luck, she's still fine and all the blood parameters are within limits or just borderline.

Different cats have different stories and reactions to the same problem.
    Your cat has been lucky to have spent with you her life till the last minute.
    I am sorry, I know how you feel :(

I have another elder cat who has been suffering from kidneys disease for the past 10 years. So far we had much luck, she's still fine and all the blood parameters are within limits or just borderline.

Different cats have different stories and reactions to the same problem.
    Your cat has been lucky to have spent with you her life till the last minute.
    I am sorry, I know how you feel :(

Thanks, enjoy every moment with your little lady too.

Putting the Christmas tree up during the week set us back a bit. I guess the first time doing it without him was always going to be like that.

How has everyone managed the last few days?
    It's been up and down at times but I found Christmas Eve the hardest, which surprised me. we used always go out for dinner on Christmas Eve but in recent years weve gotten a take away at home to reduce the cost.
    I spent the whole meal looking at a near full carton on boiled rice and each of our four dishes constantly thinking to myself how much Andy would love that and then chasing the empty carton around the house after!
    There have been moments since then, yesterday and today but it's been ok. I've been honest with myself in that we knew 2014 was our last Christmas whatever happened, having said that I still miss him all the time and probably will for a while still.

Hi to all,

We keep thinking Rossa is Still here occasionally! You know the dumb forgetting and calling her, or expecting to come bounding when I come home.

It's not too bad, because we had 6 extra weeks to get used to the idea, and the vet had warned us a year ago that our time was marked, so in all, we gave her a great home, wanted for nothing and died happy.

We never realised however exactly how much she ate! We keep having to throw out food. For the first 2 weeks sammy rarely ate, poor dog lost weight and we had to consult with the vet. We have 2 dogs but she was the boss, sammy is unsure of his place in the pack now and there is a little fighting at feeding time, and bed time.

The dynamic has changed, things have changed, terry now spends time alone in another room, which he never did before.

The weather is lousy to be out dragging them across the fields, but exercise is difficult at the moment. Since she died I think we have had 2 or was it 3 days where we got very little rain.

It's different, but we are conscious of it and working at it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

I haven't yet buried Yellow who died on the 10th! She was in the freezer for over a week, but because the weather has been so bad I haven't gone and dug a hole to put her in! But I have to tomorrow. She defrosted on Christmas Eve! I'm going it alone because my family don't much care about a budgie that I owned for 11 years! They didn't know her.

Had a tough time when wrapping the bunnies presents, was very strange writing 3 names instead of 7 on the little gift tag. Also seeing their decoration on the tree, it's a Christmas tree shape with all of their names written on it, really upset me :(

• Advertisement

Yellow went into the ground this afternoon. The ground was very easy to dig since it's been so wet! My mother dug the hole because I was wearing riding boots and they have such soft soles it was difficult. She's under an apple tree. We were doing a reccy of the garden, she's about 15 metres from Xsara the Labrador and Marky, her cagemate, about five metres from my uncle's dogs Prince and Marney, about 10 metres from our much loved dogs Fionn, Perro and Pancho, I know there are two cats and at least one other budgie more or less beside her, two budgies further up in a flowerbed and Lady is under the stables. There are more budgies beside the stables! Few hundred years from now someone will think we were Satanists who did animal sacrifices rather than people who really, really loved their pets!

Advertisement