Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I found this online. Anyone who had lost a dog recently may not want to read this. For everyone else, I advise having tissues beside you. It's beautiful but a year on I didn't find it easy to read.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/animal-life/this-open-letter-written-from-the-perspective-of-a-dying-dog-to-his-owner-will-tear-you-up-382455.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Gael23 wrote: »
    I found this online. Anyone who had lost a dog recently may not want to read this. For everyone else, I advise having tissues beside you. It's beautiful but a year on I didn't find it easy to read.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/examviral/animal-life/this-open-letter-written-from-the-perspective-of-a-dying-dog-to-his-owner-will-tear-you-up-382455.html

Tears are flowing!
    I think that it will be always hard to read without feeling our hearts breaking and tearing apart, no matter how long it has been since our pets went away.
    Only those who have had the greatest luck to live with a pet can fully understand it.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Gael23 wrote: »

Read the first sentence and couldn't read any more. I think it's still a bit too raw for me yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh my heart goes out to you, my one went the same way last September and i grieve since especially on Sundays since that's the day. She looks like a beautiful girl and i hope the memories help you continue on..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm so sorry for your loss, Fred...
    I presume a heart failure, but you can console yourself that Holly passed away with the beautiful memories of the things she loved the most, a nice walk in the morning and surrounded by the voices of the persons she loved so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Very sad, but how lucky were you and she to go like that... no sickness, no wondering when, just a happy walk and off to bed... The shock is tough, but console yourselves with the fact that she had no pain. Lovely little dog :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Sorry for the Lost of your beautiful little friend, Fred.

R.I.P. Holly,

Hope you are playing with all our departed friends on "The Rainbow Ridge

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,917 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My little bear would have been 9 today. It's still so hard to believe she's gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

My cat today was put to sleep. Had him for 13 years.

6 weeks ago he stopped eating and the vet said it was just an infection and gave him antibiotics. I brought him in immediately when I noticed something was wrong. His energy levels returned temporarily. Then 2 weeks ago he stopped eating and was thrown down, not exercising. Drinking a lot of water. Apparently they somehow missed a tumour on one of his kidneys which the vet reckoned was benign. Or it just suddenly appeared. Also the vet could not risk operating for fear of the kidney bleeding inwards.

His urea levels were also very high and despite an injection to help with this, he was never able to eat enough to sustain himself last week. He slowly started wasting away and was doing a lot of crying. Though also a lot of purring when we rubbed his tummy or behind the ears. Vet today said he wasn't in pain but he clearly had given up and had lost over half a kilo in the space of a week. The tumour had also grown.

Family including myself are really broken up about this. We are big pet lovers and actually have 5 cats, but he was the oldest and the one with the most character. Will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Our cat of 13 years was put to sleep yesterday after a few weeks of being very unwell, we also had five cats and he was the oldest and had the most character. Bizarre coincidence.

Maybe our boys wanted to get together! :)

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Very bizarre indeed. Made me smile though. :D

We have had so many animals lost to illness that you would not put a human to sleep for.
    It's so frustrating. I would have paid anything to keep my cat alive as long as he wasn't in pain and had a decent quality of life. But we were told if he was operated on his kidney could bleed in. Then I wondered why they could not simply remove the kidney that had the tumour and was presumably responsible for all the toxins.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

I'm so sorry guys. There isn't anything I can say to make you's feel better. I just have lots of photo's around and try and take comfort from how much they were loved... like family, they never really leave you.

Be kind to yourselves.

Flaccus wrote: »
    Very bizarre indeed. Made me smile though. :D

Was he a black cat, perchance? :o

Black with white markings

We buried him today out the back garden in the rockery, where we have buried our previous cats. We have an actual large statue of a cat which is sort of a headstone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

We lost poor Layla this morning. Trying so hard not to cry in work all day.

She was an absolute sweetheart. Absolutely nuts, but so good-natured. I'll miss her mischievous face, and her super soft little cheeks.

380654.jpeg

Black with white markings

Beauty. Our boy was black with white toes on his back feet, hence his name "Sox." :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

We buried him today out the back garden in the rockery, where we have buried our previous cats. We have an actual large statue of a cat which is sort of a headstone.

Gorgeous pic

Alicat wrote: »
    We lost poor Layla this morning. Trying so hard not to cry in work all day.

She was an absolute sweetheart. Absolutely nuts, but so good-natured. I'll miss her mischievous face, and her super soft little cheeks.

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's very very hard to get over when you are attached to a pet. My car is gone a week today and I'm still tearful every single night when I get home from work. People just tell me to think of the good times. I took him in myself over 13 years ago, and when our dog was alive he used come along for walks with us. No one actually believes me till this day.

VonVix wrote: »
    Beauty. Our boy was black with white toes on his back feet, hence his name "Sox." :o

We had a cat called 'Sox' when I was a kid. Same white toes. lol.

We still have 4 cats left with the oddest names - ninja, burgers, mr. bitey and benny blanco from the bronx (benny for short).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Kayla is 2 months gone today.

The first month almost flew by in a heartbeat, but jebus this past month has been so tough. I think it took a while to full hit me. I've also been around a lot more dogs this month, and every time I see a cocker spaniel or spend more than 5 seconds with a dog I get choked up. People are mentioning her more to me now, and sort of expecting me to be feeling a bit better, which makes it harder nearly. She's 'in the past' to other people...but not for me, not yet.

I know it'll get easier, but christ :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

The first month almost flew by in a heartbeat, but jebus this past month has been so tough. I think it took a while to full hit me. I've also been around a lot more dogs this month, and every time I see a cocker spaniel or spend more than 5 seconds with a dog I get choked up. People are mentioning her more to me now, and sort of expecting me to be feeling a bit better, which makes it harder nearly. She's 'in the past' to other people...but not for me, not yet.

Went home on my lunch today a little upset, but found a black & white cat literally just sitting on my doorstep.

I keep cat food in the house (like with biscuits for human callers- a 'just in case'), so I brought him in and fed him and he gave me some lovely headbutts & purrs & cuddles- exceptionally affectionate for a cat that's never met me before!

I must say I do feel a little bit better. Kind kitty :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I know how that feels, I live in quite a built up area and I see dogs identical to him quite a bit. 14 months on, that still isn't easy.
    I would say it took me about 6 weeks to come to terms with it initially. I wouldn't that long for it to hit me but it took a while to process that he wasn't coming home. We got him cremated so getting the ashes back knocks you but also comforts you. While you do need to move onwards, she won't ever be in the past, mine isn't anyway. Over time, the things that upset you turn into things that make you smile and those are the memories that will never leave me.
    All I can say is it will get better, I know too well you cant see that just now but it will

• Registered Users Posts: 8 offthecouch.ie

I've always been more of a dog person than a cat person, that was until Bella came along. I was permanent foster mum to Bella, adopted her from <snip>. She passed away last week and I'm devastated :(

Around 18 months ago she was found living down an alleyway by the side of Tesco in Blackrock, with a feral colony where she'd been for around 3 years (one of the Tesco staff was feeding them during that time). One of the <snip> ladies saw her, she was limping badly so they decided to trap her to bring her to the vet. They ended up not having to trap her, just went and picked her up, she'd clearly been someone's pet at some point.

She was brought to the Village Vets in Stillorgan like a bag of bones, with a terrible chest infection and a paw infection. The vets there worked so hard to get her well again, they were amazing. She had a toe amputated, and was left with scar tissue in her lungs. <snip> looked after her for a few months, and then she was ready to be adopted out and I spied her on the <snip> website. She was described as an elderly cat with health problems, when I read what had happened to her I just knew I had to let her retire in peace on my couch.

That's exactly what she did for 10 months. We all knew her life expectancy wasn't good, and she was on borrowed time. But that doesn't make it any easier. When she first showed up, she was scared of everything, including me. Two weeks ago she wanted nothing else than to curl up and fall asleep in my lap. I'd come home to greetings and squeaks, and requests for hugs. Now she's gone and I miss her terribly. Someone tell me this gets easier!

Would love to be able to show a photo of her but I don't think I have enough posts on here yet to do that. Trust me, she was cute as a button!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh bless your heart for giving that old lady a peaceful retirement, you've done a wonderful thing. It will get better, you smile more than you tear up at the memories after a while but let yourself grieve, my thoughts are with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 offthecouch.ie

Oh bless your heart for giving that old lady a peaceful retirement, you've done a wonderful thing. It will get better, you smile more than you tear up at the memories after a while but let yourself grieve, my thoughts are with you.

I never thought I'd become so attached to her, but I did. The vet sent me a card, I was crying all over the place when I opened the envelope. Just wish she'd been able to enjoy her retirement for longer, but I keep reminding myself that at least she didn't die down that awful alleyway, on her own. I had to rush her into UCD as she just got up out of bed and collapsed, and that was it, off she went. My apartment is so empty without her :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

We lost our little buddy Neil yesterday morning. He was named Neil after Neil Armstrong because he was so brave. He had such a will to live. He battled cat flu for most of his life and had a permanently weepy eye. He had a large abdominal tumour removed when he was about 4 or five and had a number of strokes over the past year. He always bounced back. He seemed immortal. But not this time. His kidneys started shutting down and on Sunday night he went downhill. We had him for 15 years and we reckon he must have been around 20 years old. On Tuesday morning we had to call the vet to the house to help him on his journey.
    He was the sweetest cat, and he found us one day when we were sitting on a blanket on the ground in our garden. He was in a terrible condition and lay down on the blanket between us like he had come home. He found us because he needed us. He seemed so tired and helpless.He was starving and had an abscess on the side of his face. So that’s how it all started.
    Most of his life he lived with two large dogs but he was always the boss. He was one of the dogs; he was always in the middle of things. Sometimes he got trampled, but he didn’t care, as long as he was a part of things. He used to come on the dog walks with us down the country lanes. We often used to have to wait for him to catch up because he had a bit of a wonky leg.
    He was the type of cat that needed humans. He wasn’t the independent type. He was a home body. He followed me around and sometimes just sat in front of me and stared at me for long periods. He waited at the corner of the house at night waiting for me to come home from work. He was the noisiest animal in the house. He yowled for his food and for attention. He did lots of mischievous things to wind us up. He knew how to push our buttons. As he got older he went out less and less so he was always under our feet. Always there.
    The house is so quiet now. The dogs are subdued, we are subdued. He is the first cat I have ever owned and I thank him for the delightful years of fun and cuddles that he gave us. I have the memories which will never fade and he will live in me forever. Thank you, Neil, you truly did have 9 lives.

[IMG][/img]26348590251_7cfce3d09a_z.jpg
    Posing for his movie career portfolio!

26414746435_de384d681a_z.jpgIMG_0901
    Ruling the roost with his brothers!

26414727015_2bfc6814ca.jpgI1460033568

Last Thursday, enjoying the heat!

Run free little man.

Advertisement