Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Thanks for the updates SMX, it made me all teary again. Funny how you can feel for and miss the little dude even though you have never met him.
    And I remember when our first cat died, it was exactly those little things that made you miss him so much more. The places he used to sit, his dishes - I think it took us a month before we felt able to put the empty (clean!) dishes away.
    Hold on to that dream image - what a wonderful picture :)
    Big hugs.
    XX

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

So so sorry to hear about Dude. I followed your thread through his recovery and all the ups and downs and can't believe he's gone. He was the bravest cat. Well done for everything you did for him. Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

But I've seen him in my dreams the last 2 nights, and he was whole again. A big shiny fat cat with no tufts of missing fur, and most importantly, with his big long beautiful tail again. It's like he's coming to show me he's okay now.

It's his message to say that he's fine, happy and he's watching over you.
    We just got a call from the vets, he's off on his final journey now.

I don't think I have understood this line...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

It's his message to say that he's fine, happy and he's watching over you.

I don't think I have understood this line...

He was picked up for cremation, they rang me to let me know that they have a casket that looks like a sleeping cat so he will be coming home in that.
    I feel more at peace with it today, while still heartbroken and upset, I had a good talk with my mam last night that helped me not feel so guilty for making the decision. I had been feeling that I made it too soon, that I should have given him more of a chance, but the treatment only worked for a day. I couldn't ask him to go through all that again just for an extra day no matter how much I longed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

He was picked up for cremation, they rang me to let me know that they have a casket that looks like a sleeping cat so he will be coming home in that.
    I feel more at peace with it today, while still heartbroken and upset, I had a good talk with my mam last night that helped me not feel so guilty for making the decision. I had been feeling that I made it too soon, that I should have given him more of a chance, but the treatment only worked for a day. I couldn't ask him to go through all that again just for an extra day no matter how much I longed for it.

So sorry SMX. Loved reading about Dude over the last couple of years. You gave him a fantastic life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

" but the treatment only worked for a day. I couldn't ask him to go through all that again just for an extra day no matter how much I longed for it."

That was such a selfless act, you should be proud of yourself for making it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Wow, how could you even think for a minute about feeling bad for having Dude put to sleep - you did so much for that little cat - I dont know if I would have had the patience, or enough love to carry my cat through all you brought Dude through. I waited a couple of days too long to have my beloved Pepper put to sleep - he should have been put out of his misery immediately - but we hung on, not being able to bear to do it. I'll regret that delay forever. You didnt put Dude through a minute longer than necessary, pat yourself on the back for having the gumption to do it when it needed doing.
    NEVER feel bad for putting a beloved pet out of pain xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

I've only just seen the news about Dude now, after seeing your post in the Chillout thread. So sorry to hear that, you had really been through the mill together. You did so much for him, including having to make that selfless yet painful choice when the time came.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

SMX I understand how you feel, but we all know our own pets and we know when it's time. That last time Andy got sick when he didn't get better as he always did I knew deep inside me we were at the end of the road this time. That was the day before the vet told us the same thing. Some people will read your post and say he still had a good quality of life but only a pets owner knows how good of a quality of life they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

SMX I am so sorry, I've been away and so not on here for the last week, just saw your post in the chill out thread.

Dude was a real part of API, and your tales of his amazing life will be sorely missed. He was an incredibly lucky cat to have such a loving family.

Take care of yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Oh SillyMango I am so sorry to hear about Dude. Your updates about him sometimes had me in stitches laughing, I remember being so jealous as well when you taught him how to play fetch! You did a very selfless thing, I don't think I would be strong enough to make that decision for my two brats.
    May he high five everyone in cat heaven and grow fat on treats xx

(I was formerly known as Kovu)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I'm so sorry SM, I really don't know what to say. I loved reading about dude and his antics here, and had the honour to meet him once. You made the right decision, it's natural to doubt yourself.

Look after yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

We got Dude's ashes back today in a beautiful casket shaped like a cat curled up asleep. Even though it's not the same, it's still nice to have some part of him back home. We're all still missing him terribly but we can finally talk and laugh about silly things he used to do without crying. I sent off to get every picture I have of him printed, cost me €50 but it's worth it in case anything ever happens my phone or laptop! The vets even sent us a lovely sympathy card this week, he was such a special boy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

We got Dude's ashes back today in a beautiful casket shaped like a cat curled up asleep. Even though it's not the same, it's still nice to have some part of him back home. We're all still missing him terribly but we can finally talk and laugh about silly things he used to do without crying. I sent off to get every picture I have of him printed, cost me €50 but it's worth it in case anything ever happens my phone or laptop! The vets even sent us a lovely sympathy card this week, he was such a special boy

I felt so much more at ease when I got my dog's ashes back. I couldn't settle without having her home. And I've pictures everywhere. I hope you've a little bit of comfort now you've Dude back with you.

It took us a lot longer than that to get them back. It hits you like a ton of bricks at first but it is so comforting in reality, I cant describe it, I think its one of those things you cant understand until you go though it. It helps us still having a piece of him forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I got my parents a big photoframe last christmas with loads of pictures of both our West Highlands from when they were puppies right through until today, so that they'd always be a big feature of the house. They're both 14 and failing a little - still enjoying life but one is a bit confused at times and the other is razor sharp but has a few conditions. I always thought I was OK with the fact that the day couldn't be far away given that they led just about the best lives any dog possibly could (they even sleep in bed under the covers and have done since they were puppies), but in the past 12 months they've aged so rapidly that it terrifies me all of a sudden. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I got my parents a big photoframe last christmas with loads of pictures of both our West Highlands from when they were puppies right through until today, so that they'd always be a big feature of the house. They're both 14 and failing a little - still enjoying life but one is a bit confused at times and the other is razor sharp but has a few conditions. I always thought I was OK with the fact that the day couldn't be far away given that they led just about the best lives any dog possibly could (they even sleep in bed under the covers and have done since they were puppies), but in the past 12 months they've aged so rapidly that it terrifies me all of a sudden. :(

Spend as much time as possible with them both, your presence will comfort them and will also comfort you.

Hope they both have a few good healthy years left in them.

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Came home today to find that my dog had managed to get out of the yard. We found him 200 yards from the house on the grass dead. I'm so upset about my poor buddy. He was only a little over a year old but had raised him from a litter my dads dog had. Can't believe he is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh leanonme he is absolutely gorgeous! I'm so, so sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leanonme

Thanks. I'm totally heartbroken. I have lost pets before but it was always in old age etc, this was such a shock to find him dead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

leanonme, how devastating for you, such a lovely dog,

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My westie is a year dead now and I'm still often very upset. I still mute the speakers on my computer before I shut it down because she always thought that meant walkies or bed. Only moved her bed out last month. Pains in my chest even typing this..

My westie is a year dead now and I'm still often very upset. I still mute the speakers on my computer before I shut it down because she always thought that meant walkies or bed. Only moved her bed out last month. Pains in my chest even typing this..
    How people deal with it is very different. The first thing we did the night Andy died was take his stuff out, we still have it but it's not around the house. You do hear noises and see images or meet people that set you off but after about a month I was able to deal with it. I miss him every day but I suppose we were in a situation where there was absolutely nothing we could do to make him live longer so it was a little easier to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I used to have Three Westies, now down to one.

Badly miss the other two.

It will get less painful as time goes by, but there will be moments when you can actually feel them in your presence.

It's their way of thanking for giving them a wonderful life.

Take care,

Socks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Don't switch on animal planet if you don't want to get upset, even a year after I posted here. A dog on the show has cancerous lump around the heart and man it's killing me quite similar to my dog last year. Most of the time you think of the silly moments your dog gave you but some of these vet shows bring back the hard times.

I agree on the vet shows but again its something I got used to over time. Its not easty wtching owners go through what you did. I lost mine to kidney failure and seeing similar cases is hard. I know how hopeless that diagnosis usually is and how rapidly things progress. In our case that was 3 days from diagnosis to losing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

had to say goodbye to the my dearest Jessie today 17 years old and still going strong up to Friday when she refused her evening meal

she was the most loyal / brazen / annoying springer I ever owned but that was Jessie and I loved her dearly and will miss her terribly

old age was her enemy and thank god she was healthy up to the end

she went to sleep in my arms and im grateful to god for the strength to be able to be there at the end

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sorry Jim, it's very hard, well done for being there at the end, sounds like Jessie had a great life.. *hugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

Sorry Jim, it's very hard, well done for being there at the end, sounds like Jessie had a great life.. *hugs*

thank you gremlin I like to think she had a good life if I made hers
    half as good as she made mine id be very happy

im glad I have 4 of her pedigree still with me but she was my ould buddy if you know where im coming from

oh we get so attached to our four legged friends but shur why not that's why we got them in the first place

if you cant love a dog you cant love at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

We had to say goodbye to our dog lady this week. She was only sick a few days but she had kidney failure and we had to make the hard decision to put her to sleep.
    We got her from the local pound 12 years ago along with Aragon. She is the white dog in the photos. We all miss her a lot and are keeping an eye on aragon as they were always stuck to each other. We also have a younger dog who is 3 and she has been looking for lady.

Advertisement