Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So sorry for you guys today. Be nice to yourselves and hibernate if that feels right. Thinking of ye..

• Registered Users Posts: 8 SleazyGaryR

Heartbreaking to read these stories. They will always be in our hearts <3

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Snookercues

I only had my little rescue cat 2 months and she had a tragic end getting caught under the wheel of a neighbours car :( I am gutted - she was my little buddy - a vacant lap was wasted in her eyes, she was up on it as quick as anything. When I would open the shower door, she would be there waiting on me....
    So annoyed. She made a real impact on me for the short 2 months. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ah **** that's horrible. Hugs to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

that's awful at least she had some love In her little short life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I witnessed a dog being hit by a car earlier in the week. The dog was off lead along a busy road which is not sensible. It felt like it was happening in slow motion to me although it happened in seconds. I saw it but could no nothing and the poor woman froze and screamed her lungs out but it happened so fast there was little she could do either.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Horrible thing to witness!

My poor Mum saw the same it must be over 30 years ago, only it was a child. A little girl of 3 having got off a bus with her mammy toddled out behind the back of it. A coal truck coming the opposite direction hit her. My mum was about 100 metres away and could see it all happening, exactly like you say, almost in slow motion.....my Mum's never got over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

A few weekends ago, my parents came back on the back rural roads of our village to find our 2 year old little skinny cat man, Dexter at the side of the road. His eyes were wide open and blood coming out of his mouth. He'd been hit...but what absolutely infuriates me is that that road - there is no way you can actually go fast on that road. It's hard to explain it but there is one person who always speeds it and has been spoken to...I'm just angry.. :(

But come a few weeks later, my parents went to Longford SPCA and because their two kids are away at college and they are all alone, they adopted a brother and sister - two black cats who were having trouble being adopted. Every time I phone them, they are overjoyed and Magic and Marbles have brought such happiness.

Dexter would have hated them but I know he'd be proud they rescued - as we did with him. <3 Rest in peace little penguin. I miss you every single day and I wish I had got to say bye :(

A week later, my elderly guinea pig (8 years old), Pumpkin also passed. He was my little roommate and I will miss his squeaks for cucumber :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Don't know if you've seen this during the week on facebook

Sadly I am having to have Walnut euthanised on Saturday.
    'So we will be having a last walk together on his beloved Porth Beach at 9.30am.
    'I would love it if dog lovers/owners and friends would join us for a celebration of Walnut on his favourite Porth Beach.
    'He has had an incredible life and having reached the grand age of 18 is ready for his final sleep. Hope to see you on Saturday.'

Saw this during the week and checked the page this morning to see hundreds of dogs and their owners on Porth Beach Cornwall and lots of photos and well wishes from people all around the world who walked their own dogs at 09.30.

#walk with Walnut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

The owner was interviewed on BBC news this morning, along with Walnut wrapped up in a blanket. Lovely but sad story, I was hoping there would be a good send off, and there was ... hundreds of people and their friends turned up.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hi all

I'm not so much someone who has lost a pet but will be in the next 12 hours :(

About 1 month ago myself and my wife got a little mini schnauzer who was born on August 12th,the same date as my dads birthday. The reason that this guy stole our hearts was because 6 months ago my dad passed away from cancer and being his only child I've had to bare the brunt of picking up the pieces of his passing so this little dog (that we named Arthur) was got to bring me out of my sadness of my dad passing away.

Everything was great and both myself and my wife fell head over heels in love with the little man. About 2 weeks ago we noticed his head shaking but passed no notice to it,a day later he peed blood,numourious vets appointments and we couldn't find the cause of the blood,it happened every few days.

So on Monday we took the little man to UCD Vet hospital to get Arthur fixed. After an ultra sound they found that he has severe liver damage,stones in his bladder and a leakage of ammonia into his liver that's causing him neurological problems :( He is too weak and poorly to be operated on and medication won't work on him so we have been advised to put our little man to sleep.

He is only 3 months old :( he has a life to lead. We don't know if he is in pain but the vet said it will just be a matter of weeks until he gets very very sick so tomorrow we are going to have the little man put out of his misery.

I feel so crap,he has only been with us for a month but I adore him and it kills me that I can't save him :(

Today I drew up alittle bucketlist for him that I want to get done before we take him on his final journey so tomorrow he is going to go chasing the ducks followed by a steak dinner (tonight he had chicken and some ice cream)

Arthur is currently sound asleep on our bed with both myself and my wife giving him lots of kisses and snuggles. It's going to kill me to say goodbye but I know it's for the best

Sorry for my rant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Hi all

He is only 3 months old :( he has a life to lead. We don't know if he is in pain but the vet said it will just be a matter of weeks until he gets very very sick so tomorrow we are going to have the little man put out of his misery.
    I feel so crap,he has only been with us for a month but I adore him and it kills me that I can't save him :(
    This post tore my heart to pieces :( and I'm crying like a baby!
    How can God inflict so much pain on a little creature?
    I'm with you Discobeaker, Arthur will be in my thoughts today.
    Run free, Arthur, you'll be a beautiful angel in the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

This post tore my heart to pieces :( and I'm crying like a baby!
    How can God inflict so much pain on a little creature?
    I'm with you Discobeaker, Arthur will be in my thoughts today.
    Run free, Arthur, you'll be a beautiful angel in the sky.

Same, Irish Stones.

Discobeaker; I am so sorry that you are going through such a painful time. My first dog was a mini schnauzer. My parents got him the year I was born and we grew up together. We also adopted two sisters at some point in our lives as their owner had passed and were going through a horrible time.

We lost our last little girl last year and it doesn't get easier.

I am so sorry at what has happened to little Arthur and I hope that you fill up his bucketlist and get everything ticked off. Your family will be in my thoughts.

Just think; You gave him an absolute wonderful last leg of life. He had a rough patch and you guys fixed it. Arthur will appreciate everything you have ever done for him.

<3 My thoughts and love goes out to your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Discobeaker, that is just so so so crap.
    Its nearly harder when hes just a baby, even though you;ve only had him a month, when they are so cute and dependant and defenseless its just a heartbreaker. Poor you, poor wife, poor puppy.

DONT give up on dogs - they will help you heal after your dad and now Arthur too. You know its true - you've been helped by arthur in the last month. Go out as soon as you can and get another, its was just bloody bloody bad luck to get a puppy with health problems

Oh and please get in touch with the breeders, to tell them whats happened 8-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Hi all

I'm not so much someone who has lost a pet but will be in the next 12 hours :(

About 1 month ago myself and my wife got a little mini schnauzer who was born on August 12th,the same date as my dads birthday. The reason that this guy stole our hearts was because 6 months ago my dad passed away from cancer and being his only child I've had to bare the brunt of picking up the pieces of his passing so this little dog (that we named Arthur) was got to bring me out of my sadness of my dad passing away.

Everything was great and both myself and my wife fell head over heels in love with the little man. About 2 weeks ago we noticed his head shaking but passed no notice to it,a day later he peed blood,numourious vets appointments and we couldn't find the cause of the blood,it happened every few days.

So on Monday we took the little man to UCD Vet hospital to get Arthur fixed. After an ultra sound they found that he has severe liver damage,stones in his bladder and a leakage of ammonia into his liver that's causing him neurological problems :( He is too weak and poorly to be operated on and medication won't work on him so we have been advised to put our little man to sleep.

Today I drew up alittle bucketlist for him that I want to get done before we take him on his final journey so tomorrow he is going to go chasing the ducks followed by a steak dinner (tonight he had chicken and some ice cream)

Arthur is currently sound asleep on our bed with both myself and my wife giving him lots of kisses and snuggles. It's going to kill me to say goodbye but I know it's for the best

Sorry for my rant
    Sorry for loss and its never easy no matter how old they are because after a couple of days their family. They listen to moan and don't have stupid comebacks they just listen. I find 12th august funny because thats my birthday also, but the brightest stars don't last that lost because they burn so bright. You'll eventually not feel as sad when you think of him and you'll the silly things puppies that make you laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Heart broken for you and your wife discobeaker. Sleep tight Arthur x

Thanks everyone for the lovely kind words. Today we managed to tick off the last few things off Arthur's bucketlist. He went and chased the ducks in the rain in our local park earlier today and helped me drink my coffee (he loved the foamy milk at the top of my latte) before we took him to our local vets at 4pm today.

He was snuggling up to me and my wife while he cuddled his favourite teddy bear as the vet administer his injection and Arthur went to sleep surrounded by love.

Thanks again everyone for your comforting words. I've attached a picture of our little man taken earlier today in the park. He had a great little life

Oh Disco, your story breaks my heart. Glad the wee pet was so cared for, now mind yourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

That's heart-breaking altogether. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭dashoonage

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Thanks everyone :) we are so heartbroken and it feels so odd not having him here,especially when I was cleaning all his toys away but myself and the wife have spoken about possibly going tomorrow to the local pound/shelter and seeing if we can save a dogs life.

Furry friends really are the greatest gift anyone could ever have :)

Nothing I can say is going to make it better, all we can do is understand what it feels like. I can imagine how hard today must have been given that you were still able to enjoy doing things with him right up to the end. You really need to cherish those memories and photos you took, ours was 15 years old but we never got to do what you did today and yesterday, he was too sick at the end.
    One thing I would say is to think twice before getting another dog tomorrow. Jambomac is right that they steal your heart so fast but I think you should take a few weeks to deal with your loss before getting one.
    I know what that desire to fill a hole in your heart feels like but I felt I needed to process my loss first and that took a few weeks.

I totally understand what you all mean about thinking twice about getting a dog so soon after Arthur's passing. To be honest I'm not really up for it so soon but my wife and my mum are absolutely heartbroken.

I know we only had Arthur 4 weeks but he totally stole everyone's hearts and he has left a giant empty gap. If we do go to the shelter tomorrow and if we bond with a dog then we can take him/her on a 2 week trial but I have no intentions on getting a doggy just for the sake of it. It has to be the right one that we fall for.

I just got into bed and just noticed Arthur left me a little present to never forget him by in the form of a giant pee on our duvet cover :D that's my boy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

He was snuggling up to me and my wife while he cuddled his favourite teddy bear as the vet administer his injection and Arthur went to sleep surrounded by love.
    The vision of this moment smashed all the pieces of my already broken heart :(:(:(
    Your Arthur was absolutely stunning, the Raibow Bridge is a better place today!

The vision of this moment smashed all the pieces of my already broken heart :(:(:(
    Your Arthur was absolutely stunning, the Raibow Bridge is a better place today!

Thanks Irish Stones, it was actually great yesterday when we took him to the park. It was raining while he was chasing the ducks but when the rain stopped there was a rainbow over the lake,maybe it was a sign that it was his time to go and that he will be ok whenever he passes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

I've attached a picture of our little man taken earlier today in the park. He had a great little life

Lovely Picture, so easy to fall in love with.

All you can do for him is, give him all your/our love and make every day for him seem like it is the best a Dog can have.

Take care of yourself too..

Best Wishes

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Strangest thing happened today. We went out to the local SPCA shelter to see the animals,not with the intention of getting another dog so soon after Arthur.

On our way back towards home,a dog ran out Infront of our car and into on coming traffic. Myself and the wife jumped out,caught the little guy (he was a Labrador mix) and managed to get him into the car. Took him to the local vets and now he is getting treated for Afew injuries and some skin problems.

We NEARLY took the doggy home with us cos we took it as a sign that it was meant to be us that managed to capture him but decided to leave him with our vets and the local spca to look after as we have no way of keeping him in quarntine for his skin problems just so our rabbits and pet rats don't get infected but we have said that if no owner is found and if his skin clears up we would love to be the first option to re-home him :) it kinda felt like fate just how it all happened!

Someone mentioned how hard it is to watch Vet shows and it never really hit me strongly until last night when I was watching supervets. Knowing what it feels like to get a diagnosis that's void of any hope and where there can only be one outcome made it feel so real.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Gael23 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned how hard it is to watch Vet shows and it never really hit me strongly until last night when I was watching supervets. Knowing what it feels like to get a diagnosis that's void of any hope and where there can only be one outcome made it feel so real.

I was in absolute bits watching it too. So, so difficult when you're so helpless :(

Advertisement