Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hi everyone

Just a quick update. Today we received Arthur's ashes back. It was a tough day for my wife especially but we are just thankful that we had him,even if it was for a short time :(

On a happier note I would like you all to meet Cookie :) he is a 6 month old King Charles Spaniel rescue dog. Also... if there are any Irish Daily Mail readers out there,Cookie made an appearance in today's paper in the "Irelands most fetching dog" competition (he is number 93) - I've attached a "not so flattering" picture of cookie being a lazy monster.

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words about little Arthur. We really appreciate it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Hi everyone

Just a quick update. Today we received Arthur's ashes back. It was a tough day for my wife especially but we are just thankful that we had him,even if it was for a short time :(

On a happier note I would like you all to meet Cookie :) he is a 6 month old King Charles Spaniel rescue dog. Also... if there are any Irish Daily Mail readers out there,Cookie made an appearance in today's paper in the "Irelands most fetching dog" competition (he is number 93) - I've attached a "not so flattering" picture of cookie being a lazy monster.

Thanks again to everyone for all the kind words about little Arthur. We really appreciate it all :)
    Had somewhat of a similar situation to you no ashes but fido.ie sending me an e-mail about blue and not having the certificate which is now required. Now she's gone over a year but it's weird, it's like putting the final nail in the coffin.

That's probably a better photo than a posey one as its him saying i'm so relaxed,i'm home.

Yeah today indeed did feel like the final nail in the coffin but we are just glad he is home with us.

Cookie is a very relaxed little guy,he sleeps on top of my head when he comes in for a nap with us. We went for a semi posey picture in the paper (it's of him asleep) but the picture I attached is hilarious. He is such a lazy wee bugger :)

By the way... if anyone would like to vote for cookie all you have to do is email the number 93 and send it to

dogs@dailymail.ie

Any help is much appreciated :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Yeah today indeed did feel like the final nail in the coffin but we are just glad he is home with us.

Cookie is a very relaxed little guy,he sleeps on top of my head when he comes in for a nap with us. We went for a semi posey picture in the paper (it's of him asleep) but the picture I attached is hilarious. He is such a lazy wee bugger :)

Getting the ashes back isn't easy but I can't put into words how much comfort it brings. Between spending the last few days in the vets and how long the process takes, it was close to a month with him being gone, which felt so odd after 15 years. Suddenly you begin to feel that there's a part of him with you forever. The finality of getting that wooden box back is really striking but cremation is something I recommend to anyone.

• Advertisement

Gael23 wrote: »
    Getting the ashes back isn't easy but I can't put into words how much comfort it brings. Between spending the last few days in the vets and how long the process takes, it was close to a month with him being gone, which felt so odd after 15 years. Suddenly you begin to feel that there's a part of him with you forever. The finality of getting that wooden box back is really striking but cremation is something I recommend to anyone.

The cremation really is a fantastic thing. My last 2 dogs were cremated and one of our pet rats was cremated earlier in the summer (when the other 2 depart this life we are going to keep all 3 ratties together like they were in their cage)

It is just a lovely thing to have and it feels like your pet is still with you. It's not cheap to get done but in my eyes it's well worth the money to help you feel alittle more happiness :)

By the way.... I've attached Cookies picture from the Daily Mail,him sleeping which seems to be his favourite pastime :)

It was the only choice for us. Andy died 2 weeks after Christmas so it wasn't the best time to pay that out but the other options weren't what we wanted. We didn't want to bury him because we felt if we ever move house, which although is unlikely in the foreseeable future he would stay here. Now he can come with us if that was ever to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

My dog of 17 years passed away last night. We knew his time was near, he had turned blind and lost his sense of smell. He didnt know what was going on.

I went out to him to have the daily chat with him and he was lying there lifeless in his house.

He was never an indoor dog, never liked being indoors. We rescued him, he was bullied and beaten by his owners and other dogs. He was the absolute sweetest dog. He would never bite you, fantastic with children, didnt lick your hands at all, instead he would snuggle into you. When we went on walks i would let him off the lead and he walk beside me. The only reason he would run away was if he saw the priest :pac:

When i moved away, any time i was home i would spend so much time with him.

I am beyond devastated. I knew this day was coming, but i couldnt prepare for it. I have had him since i was 8 years old, im 25 now. He is a big part of my life gone.

Ill post up some pics later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh gosh, so sorry for you and yours. Sunday is still a hard day over a year later since losing my pooch. It gets easier though, i promise. Do whatever you need to commemorate him.

• Advertisement

17 is very impressive. We got to 15 and thought that was very good. We were the same in that we knew we hadn't got long more and we wished he would go like that which didn't happen unfortunately. It sounds like he was coming to the stage where his quality of life was beginning to reduce so at least now that decision is taken out of your hands. Our vet once told us that we just had to keep his quality of life as good as possible for as long as we could and despite the end not being quick, I know we did our best.
    I was 8 when we got him and 23 when he died so I know how you feel. Nothing I can say will make that better but find comfort in that you had 17 great years together. In time the memories that upset you today will bring a smile to your face. The emptiness takes a lot longer to go but time does heal even. Though it never goes. Just yesterday I saw a really young puppy just like him and almost 2 years on it gave me one of those stomach churning moments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Oh how i hate this thread - and now I am heartbroken and posting in it.
    We had to help our most beloved cat Pudz along to the other side yesterday after a 7 week fight with pancreatitis. She was doing ok even last week, but we were unable to shift persistent diarrhea despite various treatments. Regardless of her painfully skinny self she was alert and happy to do the things she loved like sitting in the window and snuggling up to us. That's why we continued with treatment because she didn't give any sign she was ready to go.
    Unfortunately that changed dramatically in the last few days, still she rallied for another day always seeking our comfort. But yesterday suddenly, there was nothing left, after settling down she had a seizure. We had already booked her into the vets for later that day, so we spend the remaining time with her while she slipped away deeper and deeper.
    At the vets she was gone in seconds after the injection, he reckoned there was underlying cancer, as the other treatments actually had started to work.
    We are heartbroken, she was our beloved companion for more than 12 years (we adopted her & her kitten Micky when she was about 2 years old) and the most affectionate, interested and loyal cat we have ever known. She ruled supreme in our house, both humans & felines. She bossed her son Micky around and was instrumental in accepting our little Sammy into the household 3 years ago, teaching her cattikette. She was super special and her loss will be felt forever.
    xpmoh3.jpg Queen Pudz

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

What a beautiful girl. Well done for giving her a lovely life for 12 years. RIP Pudz.

10 days after our dog passed, our rabbit passed away also. He have up eating after the dog died. He was about 8, very old for a rabbit. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

pew wrote: »
    10 days after our dog passed, our rabbit passed away also. He have up eating after the dog died. He was about 8, very old for a rabbit. :(

Ah Pew, that's awful. Losing one pet is bad enough, but two that close together is heartbreaking.

Were the dog and rabbit friendly?

Ah Pew, that's awful. Losing one pet is bad enough, but two that close together is heartbreaking.

Were the dog and rabbit friendly?

Yea they were. They lived very close towards each other so they could always see each other and interact some what before we had to get a new hutch for the rabbit.

My parents sent me up a Christmas card and it's the first time it wasn't signed from the dog. I cried a little :o

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Today we said goodbye to my dog Jake. 14 years old and a handsome springer spaniel. I've lived in Canada since 2013 and he's at home in Ireland. Last couple of years he's been slower and making old man noises as he goes out & about. This week he stopped eating and wasn't able to get up anymore. He was put to sleep this morning. I said goodbye to him on the phone.. he whined at me. I can't believe it even though I knew the day would come soon, when I was home summer 2015 I was pretty sure it would be the last time but I didnt think he'd hold on this long. Love you Jake x

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

pew wrote: »
    Was there a strong bond between them? Probably the rabbit suffered from the loss of his friend. Poor thing... And people keep on saying that animals have no feeling!
    I'm with you in this tragic moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

We sadly had to put our beloved cat Hopkins (aka Mr. Meep and numerous other nicknames) to sleep on Saturday after a battle with cancer :(

He was the sweetest, most gentle cat who loved nothing more than to be cuddled and loved.

Sleep tight Mr. Meep

Hopkins_zpsnl8huk0v.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

I feel with you so much, having lost our beloved cat to cancer as well just last week. It hurts so much, but the bad memories will fade and good ones will take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

morgana wrote: »
    I feel with you so much, having lost our beloved cat to cancer as well just last week. It hurts so much, but the bad memories will fade and good ones will take over.

Thank you for your kind words. It's so difficult at the moment, as it must be for you too xo

morgana wrote: »

This sounds so meaningless just now but it's absolutely true. The memories that are making you cry now will in time put a smile on your face

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭silverlight69

I had a beautiful rabbit, bunny. He was a truly special friend and so gentle. He died about seven years ago. I miss him and often think about him. Rabbits can be very delicate creatures and need so much tlc which new owners need to be aware of before getting one as a pet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

DmVSxv.jpg

a3Ut4D.jpg

Ramsey the cat, devastating. He was only eight.

Brought him to the vet due to some weight loss but at first was put down to his age as everything else seemed fine, he then took a turn and when I brought him back a blood test revealed he had kidney disease, we did everything we could but he just never came back from it, it really hit me because I really thought they could turn it around due to his age and early treatment but nothing worked, he just kept going down hill and had to be put to sleep.

kTrHpy.jpg

Oscar, what can I say, pushing for 22 but never made it. He was diagnosed with Testicular cancer some years ago but he soldiered on for years, I thought he was immortal to be honest but in the end nothing is, he was a life long friend and will leave a massive hole behind him.

He was bought off the travelers for £5, the last one in the box, he was one of a kind and no matter what other animal I may end up getting in the future, I can honestly say we'll never have a unique one of a kind dog like him again.

Animals become such an important part of your life, they are your friends and family, you end up loving them so much and they return the favor ten fold, as bad as this experience is I will always be thankful for the time and memories we shared.

Horrible time.

Cant stop thinking about this photo taken Christmas morning 2012. Felt strange this morning seeing the exact same pile of paper just with him missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

That's heartbreaking :( Hope you and your family have a lovely day today x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS AT RAINBOW BRIDGE

'Twas the night before Christmas, at Rainbow Bridge too.
    We Bridge kids were thinking as always of you.

We'd seen how the holidays weren't bright this year,
    Heard you whisper so often, "I wish you were here!"

We know how you wish you could just stay in bed
    And sleep through the holiday lying ahead,

When all celebrate with their loved ones so near...
    Unless they have loved ones on this side this year.

But we're no less alive here, on the other side.
    If you could just see us, you would've laughed and not cried.

The dogs all in harness, pulling the sleigh.
    The cats all in Santa hats pointing the way.

The pet birds all flying back over the rainbow,
    Bound homeward in spite of Earth's darkness and snow.

All the pets that you've lost, pets for whom you've cried,
    Flying home on this Christmas to be by your side.

If you feel warm fur brush you when no pet's around,
    Hear a soft bark or purr, just a ghost of a sound,

We're trying to tell you we're visiting this way,
    And our visits, even rainbows, can be on any day.

But for Christmas we have something special to do,
    A sleigh full of happy dream visits for you.

On doggy, on kitty, on winged friend and ferret!
    The love that you lavished, we mean now to share it!

We're fetching that love home, the way we once played,
    With the closeness we shared and the memories we made.

Our Earth lives with you were too short for us, too,
    And on this Christmas Eve we have so much to do.

So all through this night as you sleep in your beds,
    Sweet visions of furbabies dance in your heads.

This one special night we can bring you Home for a while,
    Your true home in Heaven, where again you will smile.

Over the rainbow you'll fly, for a short while this night,
    Hours that you'll be happy, hours that will feel right,

Hours to cuddle and hug us, to run and to play,
    Before the return to Earth in our magic way.

And when you awaken and face Christmas Day,
    We pray you'll remember your trip on our sleigh,

But in case you forget, just remember our love.
    Remember us watching you, your angels above.

Sending love wrapped in rainbows, shining and bright,
    Love that will guide you through the darkest night,

Love found in each memory unwrapped through the year,
    Replacing dark sorrows with Christmas cheer.

Leave the toys to St. Nick, we Bridge kids bring dreams,
    Sweet visits to remind you all is not as it seems

When you look all around you with tired Earthly eyes.
    If you saw as we do, there'd be joy and surprise.

There are furangels waiting by those Christmas trees,
    Always there for you and hearing your pleas.

We're never more than a thought away from your home,
    You're never forgotten, you're never alone.

Nor are we alone here, with our Rainbow Bridge friends.
    We know only joy here, the celebrating never ends,

And after our reunions with you Christmas Eve,
    We Bridge kids will party like you'd never believe.

But we'll slip away often to be by your side.
    Sitting there watching you, eyes open wide,

Praying you'll be able to catch a glimpse of us, too.
    But whether or not you see us - Merry Christmas to you! :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

258xe2r.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

My boxer Alley was 11 years old when developed a brain tumour. She deteriorated very quickly and I made the decision to let her go last month. She was the kindest, gentlest dog and my best friend. Heart aches just thinking of her.

Advertisement