Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

So I have been reading this thread for the last couple of weeks because I knew tomorrow was coming. Every day and night I have been inconsolable since de Niro was diagnosed with acute leukaemia. He is my only baby and tomorrow I have to bring him to the vet...he has deteriorated and when I brought him for his last walk up the mountain he couldn't do it....tonight he will sleep with me on the couch...I'm glad he knows that I couldn't love him any more. I have never been as upset in all my life...he has been my best friend for 2 years and I'll never have anything like this again!

He's gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭JamboMac

joeguevara wrote: »
    So I have been reading this thread for the last couple of weeks because I knew tomorrow was coming. Every day and night I have been inconsolable since de Niro was diagnosed with acute leukaemia. He is my only baby and tomorrow I have to bring him to the vet...he has deteriorated and when I brought him for his last walk up the mountain he couldn't do it....tonight he will sleep with me on the couch...I'm glad he knows that I couldn't love him any more. I have never been as upset in all my life...he has been my best friend for 2 years and I'll never have anything like this again!

It's weird how for some us a dog will break us in 2, you can go to relatives funerals and be shocked but never as devastated when the dog that loves you more than life itself goes. Sorry for your loss.

Its been 24 hours now and I am still inconsolable. The VET was amazing and was so sympathetic. De Niro had an aggressive acute leukemia and I couldn't see him suffer. We had a lovely last night. He stayed with me on the couch and didn't move. The one thing that I cannot get over is the finality of it. It sounds cliché but I live alone and he was the one constant in my life. Always there. The unconditional love is something that can never be replaced.

I am glad that I stayed with him as he went to sleep. I didn't want him to be alone with strangers. But afterwards I really thought I was going to have a breakdown. I just miss him so much.

JamboMac wrote: »
    It's weird how for some us a dog will break us in 2, you can go to relatives funerals and be shocked but never as devastated when the dog that loves you more than life itself goes. Sorry for your loss.

Thanks so much JamboMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Its been 24 hours now and I am still inconsolable. The VET was amazing and was so sympathetic. De Niro had an aggressive acute leukemia and I couldn't see him suffer. We had a lovely last night. He stayed with me on the couch and didn't move. The one thing that I cannot get over is the finality of it. It sounds cliché but I live alone and he was the one constant in my life. Always there. The unconditional love is something that can never be replaced.

I am glad that I stayed with him as he went to sleep. I didn't want him to be alone with strangers. But afterwards I really thought I was going to have a breakdown. I just miss him so much.

It's perfectly normal to feel like that, and don't be surprised if you feel the same for a bit longer. That feeling of your heart being ripped out takes a while to go, but it will ease. The emptiness is something that took me a little longer to deal with. It's 2 years next week and I still feel it sometimes. Having said that it does ease and only hits at certain moments.
    For us everything happened so fast in the end the finality really did hit home. On the Tuesday evening he was in my arms in the vets and within 48 hours he died. I was away from home that day and I didn't make it back in time which I sometimes regret but then afterwards people said to me it was better for my last memory to be of him asleep in my arms rather than being there at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Following on from my post: RIP Sammy a beautiful gentle dog Heartbroken.
    https://imgur.com/gPqeQpV

patmac wrote: »
    Following on from my post: RIP Sammy a beautiful gentle dog Heartbroken.
    https://imgur.com/gPqeQpV

Hope your ok

Hope your ok

You too Joe, I'm ok now but maybe not in 10 minutes time, it's a good thread this, I must visit it more often and help others who are grieving as pets are such wonderful things.
    We have just dug the grave in the back garden and buried her in a biodegradable bag and we will plant an oak tree over her that will mean she will always be around in some shape or form hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

patmac wrote: »
    You too Joe, I'm ok now but maybe not in 10 minutes time, it's a good thread this, I must visit it more often and help others who are grieving as pets are such wonderful things.
    We have just dug the grave in the back garden and buried her in a biodegradable bag and we will plant an oak tree over her that will mean she will always be around in some shape or form hopefully.

That's a really lovely idea. Fair play to you. It's horrible losing a pet. I hope in time you heal enough to let another dog into your heart and home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I love your photo....can see she's a lovely gentle dog. Don't be too hard in yourself and same for your wife....it was just one of those things.

My mum buried our huge Labrador cross in a tiny suburban back garden. We had him for 18 years.

Anyone digging up that garden in the future will think they've discovered a dinosaur carcass. Ih to be a fly in the wall...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭LCD

anewme wrote: »
    I love your photo....can see she's a lovely gentle dog. Don't be too hard in yourself and same for your wife....it was just one of those things.

My mum buried our huge Labrador cross in a tiny suburban back garden. We had him for 18 years.

Anyone digging up that garden in the future will think they've discovered a dinosaur carcass. Ih to be a fly in the wall...

18 years, wow that is incredible for a dog. Sorry to hear about your mother's loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

LCD wrote: »
    18 years, wow that is incredible for a dog. Sorry to hear about your mother's loss.

Its a few years back now, but he was our childhood dog.

My mum took it very bad......for months after, we'd here her at night crying...I just want my dog back......:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Another pic

20140531_131551_Android.jpg

2 years today. It still feels like just a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

In about an hour our little brother of 14 years, our gentle Hal, will go to sleep for the last time. He's deteriorated quite a lot over the last 3 months and now struggles to get to his feet, has wasted away to nothing and is almost blind.

Every single time I've walked through our back door he's greeted me. Never one to wait for the hand to come to him, his wet nose butting under our arms was a regular feature.

I can't bear to think of him in pain but I can't bear to let him go. Our family is totally devastated.

Update He lay down and I stroked his head as he fell asleep. Didn't whimper or grumble as the needle went in, just rested his head down. He can chase rabbits to his heart's content now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm sorry Laserlad, Hal's a beautiful dog. I've been through this myself a few times and while the pain of the loss fades over time you never forget them. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Ahh, such a beautiful fella, brings a tear to my eye. Looks like he has had a wonderful life and is ready for the journey to the rainbow bridge.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I don't have the right and proper words to express my pain for your loss, I am quite sensitive to posts like this one in this moment of my life :(
    RIP Hal, you were gorgeous!

Its now about two weeks since De Niro left laserlad. It is still heartbreaking but focus on the good times and know that he had a great life and not in pain anymore.

Laserlad exactly two years ago I was faced with the exact same decision as you were yesterday. I knew there was no possibility of him getting better but on the other hand I didn't want to make that decision even a minute too soon. It was actually DBB said to me at the time that it wasn't the time to be selfish and try in vain to keep him going for even a small bit longer. He died before we got to make a decision as it turned out but you know your own dog and I'm sure you made the right call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

Went out this evening for an hour and when I returned I found my miniature Jack Russell dead on the floor. To say I am devastated is an understatement. It looks like he got a knock on the head but there is no one else in the house. I'm trying to put 2 and 2 together and think he might of tripped jumping of the side of the chair where he sleeps and landed on his head. I'm driving myself nuts thinking of him lying on the floor needing me and I was not there. just crying and in shock. Don't know what to think or do.

Went out this evening for an hour and when I returned I found my miniature Jack Russell dead on the floor. To say I am devastated is an understatement. It looks like he got a knock on the head but there is no one else in the house. I'm trying to put 2 and 2 together and think he might of tripped jumping of the side of the chair where he sleeps and landed on his head. I'm driving myself nuts thinking of him lying on the floor needing me and I was not there. just crying and in shock. Don't know what to think or do.
    So sorry for your loss, we had a similar situation recently when we lost Sammy when she was hit by car, but don't blame yourself it was just an accident and you did not have anything to do with it, really feeling your pain though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh the witches cat, you poor thing. That's absolutely shocking and heartbreaking. Hope you're okay :( Sleep tight little man x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Dude would have been 4 today :(
    So weird saying he would have been only 4.. such a short time he was with us but he made so much impact.
    His foster mammy who kept his two sisters sent me on a picture of them this morning and its heartwarming to see two big sleek happy cats! One of his sisters looks so much like him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

It's been nearly 3 months since my dog died and I really miss him :( He died so suddenly, I didn't think he would go so soon. He was getting older and a little bit slower but he was full of life right up until his last day, no one thought he would die at all. Really wish he was still here to give him a big hug or so he could get all excited when I would come home or get my runners/wear certain clothes, or come and nudge his nose into me for attention. Now I'm getting upset just thinking about him. He really meant so much to me. There was something in the house the same colour as he was the other day and I kept thinking it was him as I walked past. I wish pets never died and could stay alive forever :(

Wanderer41 wrote: »
    It's been nearly 3 months since my dog died and I really miss him :( He died so suddenly, I didn't think he would go so soon. He was getting older and a little bit slower but he was full of life right up until his last day, no one thought he would die at all. Really wish he was still here to give him a big hug or so he could get all excited when I would come home or get my runners/wear certain clothes, or come and nudge his nose into me for attention. Now I'm getting upset just thinking about him. He really meant so much to me. There was something in the house the same colour as he was the other day and I kept thinking it was him as I walked past. I wish pets never died and could stay alive forever :(
    It takes a few months but what you describe is perfectly normal. After a few months those memories that are upsetting you today will put a smile on your face. Two years on I still feel moments where I really miss him, they get less and less but I guess they will always be there. By saying they get less I don't mean that I wont always miss him but time heals. Also take comfort in that he was able to enjoy life right to the end. Mine was the same up to the last 3 days and that means a lot to me. I know to that his time was up and there was nothing in my power that I could do to change that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

My baby is at the vets tonight but tomorrow morning I make the trip and hold him while he goes to sleep. I knew this day would come but I didn't think gastrointestist would make him so weak. Can't cope :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Autosport wrote: »
    My baby is at the vets tonight but tomorrow morning I make the trip and hold him while he goes to sleep. I knew this day would come but I didn't think gastrointestist would make him so weak. Can't cope :(

:( Sorry to hear, Autosport.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry for your loss - it's the hardest thing and the greatest privilege to hold him through the end. You'll get through it, and you'll get through the hard times that will follow.

• Advertisement

So sorry for your loss. Went through the same last month it's a terrible experience and very upsetting. There is great support here and at home to help ease the pain.

Advertisement