Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Binka

That's an amazing age and she looks so cute in that picture, Santasbird.
    RIP Lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

What a lovely girl she was and what bright eyes she had!
    I'm so sorry, 18 years is a long time, lots of things done together, lots of memory to live with, it's hard, I know...
    RIP Lucky!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So sorry for your loss, Santasbird. What a lovely dog. RIP, Lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Just wanted to post Bob here. We lost him last week. Over the years we benefited from some really great advice from posters on this forum so thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Molly.

Started out as a pecked and bloodied victim of bullying, close to death she developed into a family favourite and dog pestering Alpha pet. Taken by Mr Fox on her way home 2 nights ago. She will be missed.

776300551531046.jpg

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

TG1 wrote: »
    Just wanted to post Bob here. We lost him last week. Over the years we benefited from some really great advice from posters on this forum so thanks all.

Sorry for your loss TG1.

Bob looked a happy Chappie.

This was down to the care and love you gave him and what he gave back to you.

Take care

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Sorry for your losses :( may they both rest in peace

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Had to put my Labrador Holly down on Tuesday.
    The absolute hardest thing Ive ever done in my life.Watching her peacefully just go to sleep was hands down the saddest moment in my life.
    15 years old,her hips went 2 years ago and the vet said she`d probably last 6 months.She lasted another 2 years.In the last 2 weeks she gradually got worse,,panting all the time,coughing and sometimes with blood in it.Best thing for her but still so hard to do.
    She was older than 3 of my kids.

RIP Holly.

You Did Me a Kindness
    When my legs grew too weak to carry me,
    And my tired eyes could no longer see,
    When it pained me to struggle for each new breath,
    When my heart beat weaker, and I drew closer to death,
    You did me the kindness of letting me go.
    You didn't make me hang on when I was suffering so.
    I promise I don't think that you loved me any less,
    And I love you all the more for your selflessness.
    You freed my spirit from its body so wracked with pain,
    And let me run the fields of Heaven, where I'm sure we'll meet again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Had to put my Labrador Holly down on Tuesday.
    The absolute hardest thing Ive ever done in my life.Watching her peacefully just go to sleep was hands down the saddest moment in my life.
    15 years old,her hips went 2 years ago and the vet said she`d probably last 6 months.She lasted another 2 years.In the last 2 weeks she gradually got worse,,panting all the time,coughing and sometimes with blood in it.Best thing for her but still so hard to do.
    She was older than 3 of my kids.

RIP Holly.

You Did Me a Kindness
    When my legs grew too weak to carry me,
    And my tired eyes could no longer see,
    When it pained me to struggle for each new breath,
    When my heart beat weaker, and I drew closer to death,
    You did me the kindness of letting me go.
    You didn't make me hang on when I was suffering so.
    I promise I don't think that you loved me any less,
    And I love you all the more for your selflessness.
    You freed my spirit from its body so wracked with pain,
    And let me run the fields of Heaven, where I'm sure we'll meet again.

It is so hard..it really is like losing part of the family. Also when people are trying to console you and say things like 'well she was 15, she was a good age' it makes things worse.

It's been 6 months since de Niro was put to sleep and not a day goes by that I think of him and it hurts. He really was like a son to me and we were inseparable. I had a Labrador and a Rottweiler that lived to full age and when they left I accepted it but there was something different about de Niro.

Anyways, I feel your pain and there is nothing I can say to make it better. I think about the good times (like when he ran for 3 miles with a Hurley in his mouth or grabbed a rope that was hanging from a tree and wouldn't let go for 45 minutes) and that makes me smile. I miss him every day and all I hope is he knew how much I loved him. No one can replace that feeling and that was a beautiful poem. I am the most detached person and have a heart of stone. But de Niro was the exception and nothing will replace him. I hope the memories can make you feel a little bit better 😄😧😔😔😔

• Advertisement

Sorry for your loss,Hellrazer, heartbreaking post, such a sad time for you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

Our 13 year old Cocker Spaniel crossed the Rainbow Bridge last Saturday. He went from being a little unsteady on his back legs on Tuesday morning to being unable to stand at all on Friday night. We had him with the vet twice over the week and she warned that the difficult decision would probably have to be made but she was going to try him with a series of weekly injections for four weeks. After an initial improvement, he went downhill rapidly from Friday morning. On Saturday morning he wouldn't drink and barely eat - until he licked a small bit of ice cream! The decision was made, amidst many, many tears. My 29 year old son sat on the stairs weeping as his dad and sister carried Cracker to the car. When he got the injection, he just put his head down and went in a few seconds. He was ready to go but we weren't ready for the massive gap in our lives. Run free Cracker....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In memory of Harvey

421584.jpg

He finally had to go last week. At age 16 this was no great surprise and we had plenty of time to say goodbye and do him a last few kindnesses before the final one.

I personally owe him a great debt of gratitude. He was my first dog and very much my dog (to the annoyance of my wife). He taught me everything I know about dogs and he helped to raise and integrate three puppies into our household.

He came to us at 18 months, in full swing of teenage rebellion and it was a bit of a struggle to for both of us to make each other understand each others needs, capabilities and limitations.

Once the bond had been established it was strong and trusting on both sides. He was a real gentleman without any aggression, yet no pushover either.

He was a great character, reliable, steadfast, not silly but with a great sense of humour.
    No chance you'd ever forget to feed or water him, as he'd pick up the empty bowl and clang it on the floor until the refill appeared.

He only had two faults.
    He was always iffy with cats, even our own, and he absolutely hated cyclists.

He was my friend and I will miss him.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

Just over a week and a half since my gorgeous cat was PTS. He was only 5 years old and out of the blue suffered saddle thrombus. As soon as the vet said that anything they could "try" would be painful and not treat the underlying cause of the clot I said I couldn't put him though that.

They said he'd very likely suffer more clots and I didn't want to risk the next one being when I was out at work, leaving him alone, in pain & scared.

He was a nervous little guy & the stress of long painful treatments would have been horrible for him but I still feel so guilty. I can't help wondering if I made the decision too easily, or too quickly and that the least I owed him was a fighting chance.

I miss him horribly. The house feels quiet, empty and just lacking life. I know time will be a wonderful healer but I don't know if I'll ever stop wondering if I should have fought for him some more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

IMG_2037.JPGLost my best friend Joey today , we discovered he had lymphoma about a month ago and he was treated with prednisone to help with the worst of the symptoms ,but last night he got worse and his breathing really hard ,
    we felt that the time was right and brought him to our lovely vet who helped him to the Bridge , we will miss his mad antics , his total madness , his zooming and his unconditional love ,,
    Run Free little Joey Run Free , he had a really full live in his short eight years , no more dog for me , cant take this pain again at my age ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh poor Joey. I'm so sorry for your loss. Sleep tight Joey x

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Tony H wrote: »
    IMG_2037.JPGLost my best friend Joey today , we discovered he had lymphoma about a month ago and he was treated with prednisone to help with the worst of the symptoms ,but last night he got worse and his breathing really hard ,
    we felt that the time was right and brought him to our lovely vet who helped him to the Bridge , we will miss his mad antics , his total madness , his zooming and his unconditional love ,,
    Run Free little Joey Run Free , he had a really full live in his short eight years , no more dog for me , cant take this pain again at my age ,

Really sorry....keep remembering the good times and the mad antics!

So sorry for your loss TonyH,

As Joeguevara has said remember the good times that made you so happy and the great comfort and companionship you brought into his life.

R.I.P Joey

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

What a beautiful boy, I'm so sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Great photo - so dignified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

IMG_2037.JPG
    I know how you feel just now and people react in one of two ways; to jump and get another dog right away or to say they can never go through it again. I know what it feels like too to be in the position where there's nothing in your power you can do to make your pet better. What I would say on the other hand is that I think it's very possible that a day will come where you feel the need to fill that hole in your heart and if it does there's nothing wrong with doing that.
    Over time the pain you feel now will lessen, it won't go but it will ease and you will have memories that stay with you forever. I still remember the day Andy died so clearly. That feeling of your heart being ripped out was one I (fortunately) never had to experience before. It eases eventually but 2 years on it still seems sometimes that there's a piece of me missing.

Great photo - so dignified.

some times he was dignified most of the time he was bonkers
    the thing that gets to me most is how fast he went downhill
    less than a month ago he was his usual self then we found lumps on his glands and the vet said it was advanced lymphoma ,nothing to do except give him prednisone to help him with the symptoms, it did for a few weeks and we decided today to let him go when he had a little dignity left ,
    I dont honestly think I can go through this again I am 57 and I dont think I can go through this heartache again but who know what the future will bring .

some times he was dignified most of the time he was bonkers
    the thing that gets to me most is how fast he went downhill
    less than a month ago he was his usual self then we found lumps on his glands and the vet said it was advanced lymphoma ,nothing to do except give him prednisone to help him with the symptoms, it did for a few weeks and we decided today to let him go when he had a little dignity left ,
    Although ours had many health issues, in the end he got very sick very quickly. That really does get you at the start but to this day it means so much to me that he has the best possible quality of life up to the last 3 days. He was on medications for the last 2 years of his life but the end was so fast. Literally on the Tuesday morning we noticed he wasn't himself and took him straight to the vets. Tests over the next few days showed advanced renal failure and he died on Thursday evening before we had made a decision on what to do.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Although ours had many health issues, in the end he got very sick very quickly. That really does get you at the start but to this day it means so much to me that he has the best possible quality of life up to the last 3 days. He was on medications for the last 2 years of his life but the end was so fast. Literally on the Tuesday morning we noticed he wasn't himself and took him straight to the vets. Tests over the next few days showed advanced renal failure and he died on Thursday evening before we had made a decision on what to do.

that’s heartbreaking and as you said we also gave Joey a great life he went with us everywhere , in the 8 years we took a dhort break to portugal and did not leave him again since
    the worst is hitting me now
    im eating and normally he camped himself under me until he got a piece of what i was eating

it will take time but i’ll never forget him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

that’s heartbreaking and as you said we also gave Joey a great life he went with us everywhere , in the 8 years we took a dhort break to portugal and did not leave him again since
    the worst is hitting me now
    im eating and normally he camped himself under me until he got a piece of what i was eating

Two and a half months on from making the decision with Bob I still check before putting my feet down if I'm curled up on the couch as that is where he would be! Love the pics of Joey, he must have had a fantastic life, all you can do is remember how big a part of that you were.

I plan on boring my niece to tears with mad Bob stories when she's old enough, so hang on to the memories and the stories, they will become a happy place over time.

Take care.

That one is really hard and what took the longest to go. I would even say to an extent it never has. I still get a weird feeling through me when I'm see food I know he would love left over after dinner. Time heals and you absolutely done the right thing but 2.5 years on there are still occasions where something hits me bang in the wrong place. Things like one day I went to the shop and just inside the door was a huge shelf full of Andys favourite treats.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Guess_Who

6 weeks on & I'm still really missing my little Frankie cat. Some days are fine & other days I wake up in a cold sweat from a nightmare that he's lost & scared somewhere.

It's getting easier with time but it still hurts like hell when I have a bad day

Guess_Who wrote: »
    6 weeks on & I'm still really missing my little Frankie cat. Some days are fine & other days I wake up in a cold sweat from a nightmare that he's lost & scared somewhere.

It's getting easier with time but it still hurts like hell when I have a bad day

I've spoken to a lot friends who have the same experience of those dreams.

I remember dreaming my Dog (Colleen) was on a raft in the Ocean and no matter how hard I swam, I couldn't get to her.

Same as yourself wake up "cold Sweat"

I think it's part of some process in our sub consciousness , trying to hold onto our little friends.

You will have less Bad days as time goes by and the happier memories will fill up your mind when it wanders.

Take care

Socks

MonkieSocks is right about the bad dreams. They do go, I will say for me they stopped sooner than 6 weeks but everyone is different. Andy did in January and I remember the first night it was really windy. I woke up in the middle of the night to a noise which I thought was his nails scratching the floor but it was just the wind banging our letterbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

A year today since we lost Dude. Time does make it easier, I can look back on fond memories and smile and laugh about all the antics he used to get up to but my heart still hurts without him. Even though we now have Moose, nothing can replace my Dude. I often think how much of a pity it is that he isn't still here to be with Moose, they would have been fantastic buddies.

Advertisement