Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

So sorry, CB. That's terrible news

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Had to say good bye to Del Boy on Friday , almost 13 years to the day after he joined our family. We knew for a few weeks this was coming as he was not well for the last 3 months and had been on a pretty steep downward curve. I was pretty philosophical about the decision for the last few weeks but on Friday when we had to make that journey to the vet it broke my heart.
    I still expect too see him about the house every time I go to do something and it breaks my heart all over again.
    Del was not my first dog or anything I have been through this before but this one has really hit home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Tony H

Had to say good bye to Del Boy on Friday , almost 13 years to the day after he joined our family. We knew for a few weeks this was coming as he was not well for the last 3 months and had been on a pretty steep downward curve. I was pretty philosophical about the decision for the last few weeks but on Friday when we had to make that journey to the vet it broke my heart.
    I still expect too see him about the house every time I go to do something and it breaks my heart all over again.
    Del was not my first dog or anything I have been through this before but this one has really hit home.

Sorry for your loss ,
    Time helps the pain but houses are not really homes without our furry friends ,

I swear every time that I will never get another dog and maybe this time I might mean it but the joy they bring to us is everlasting so who knows
    run free Del boy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm sorry bandana boy, it's hard not to expect them to pop out from every corner *hugs*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Sorry for your loss x it's been just two weeks since my dog went, still catch myself calling her name and putting food out for her.!

Not an easy time at all. Take care of yourself.

Run free del boy x

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My wee doglet is gone two years today i can't believe so much time has gone already. I still carry treats now but give them to other dogs i know.. I can still feel her fur in my hands when we'd be face to face having a 'chat' on the couch or the little huff sound she would make when she plonked down for a nap or sleep.
    Hope you're getting your belly wet on the grass and getting a blow dry after somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Not a pet but still a loss. I found a pheasant while out walking the dog the other evening. He seemed to be huddled up in the long grass and didn't move when I touched him. Went back and wrapped him in a blanket and brought him home as I didn't want to leave him at the mercy of foxes/dogs/ the wind and rain etc. Figured he was in a bad way but thought at least he could pass peacefully somewhere warm and quiet however he began to have seizures and was visibly distressed and I couldn't in good conscience leave him to suffer so I took him to the emergency vet who said there was nothing that could be done and the kindest act would be euthanasia. So, he was put to sleep. Poor little guy, such a beauty too :( They said it was likely a massive infection or poisoning. At least we ended his suffering and he passed peacefully. Fly free again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

That was very decent and humane of you ONW

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Be proud of yourself, OldNotWise, you have been an angel in the poor bird's last moments.
    You'll be rewarded someday! God bless you!

A month already since my girl passed. I miss her so much. We don't get long enough with our fur babies xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

La.de.da wrote: »
    A month already since my girl passed. I miss her so much. We don't get long enough with our fur babies xx

We really don't but the memories that are left behind last forever. It's close to 3 years for me now and things still hit from time to time. One day earlier in the week I came home to an empty house, I went upstairs and all the bedroom doors were shut except for my parents, before that would mean Andy would be fast asleep on their bed, was just one of those moments where it hits that he's not around anymore.

Gael23 wrote: »
    We really don't but the memories that are left behind last forever. It's close to 3 years for me now and things still hit from time to time. One day earlier in the week I came home to an empty house, I went upstairs and all the bedroom doors were shut except for my parents, before that would mean Andy would be fast asleep on their bed, was just one of those moments where it hits that he's not around anymore.

Aww :( It's a horrible sinking feeling isn't it?

I'm still forgetting and calling her name, or putting out a second bowl of food when feeding my other dog. Some days I'll be fine others she'll be on my mind all the time.

Was lucky to have her though I suppose.

Aww :( It's a horrible sinking feeling isn't it?

I'm still forgetting and calling her name, or putting out a second bowl of food when feeding my other dog. Some days I'll be fine others she'll be on my mind all the time.

Was lucky to have her though I suppose.

It can be but it doesn't always feel like that anymore. It comes and goes as you say, some days are better than others but now I find some memories are happy ones. I remember the first time I went into the house alone after he died my heart sank but it's not always been that bad. Night time for me is often the worst. I almost always get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night and the silence really hits, was so used to the sound of his breathing for so many years.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I bought lambs liver for dinner and I would always buy extra for Max and I did today. 7 months on and I still forget sometimes that he's not here.

Autosport wrote: »
    I bought lambs liver for dinner and I would always buy extra for Max and I did today. 7 months on and I still forget sometimes that he's not here.

I know how you feel I always used to buy cooked ham with a nice edge of fat which I used to give to Joey , now it just goes in the bin ,
    It s always the small treats of human food that I look to give him and he’s not there ,
    The happy memories are starting to overpower the sadness now though .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Had to say goodbye to my dog today. He developed an aggressive inoperable tumour in his neck over the last month that just erupted so fast. He was my little shadow. We had the best bond going. The re-adjustment to life without him is what i'm dreading the most as i've kind of forgotten what my life was life before he came into it. He will be missed terribly :(

sorry for your loss , run free little Sailor ,
    lovely photo really soulful eyes

Beautiful dog gidget. Sorry for your loss.

Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭ankaragucu

Looks like a lovely dog.Sorry for your loss.Sail on Sailor.

Sorry for your loss xxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So sorry for your loss, RIP Sailor.

gidget wrote: »
    The re-adjustment to life without him is what i'm dreading the most as i've kind of forgotten what my life was life before he came into it. He will be missed terribly :(

That adjustment is really hard, I wish I could say its easy but its not. But time does heal and while you will always miss him the pain eases and you get left with really nice memories that take the place of the pain. I got my dog for my 9th birthday and he died the week before I graduated from university so life without him was hard to imagine. The next few days will be really hard but you will get there. Nearly 3 years on I still get my moments where it hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cmat

Today i was speaking to my 10 yr old son about dogs and mentioned my 1st dog Louie who died 13 years ago. Had to leave the room as i got upset. I also got him cremated but still have him in his little box, 13 yrs later. Can't bury him yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Gael23 wrote: »
    That adjustment is really hard, I wish I could say its easy but its not. But time does heal and while you will always miss him the pain eases and you get left with really nice memories that take the place of the pain.
    After nearly 7 months since my cat went to the Rainbow Bridge, I still can't feel better. I hoped that the pain would ease, but it seems to me that things are going worse and worse. Whenever I think of her I feel sadder and sadder, I think of her last few weeks, months, when she was sick, rather than of the days when we had fun.
    My life has changed to the worst since she's gone, it seems I lost interest in good things, I laugh less.
    cmat wrote: »
    Today i was speaking to my 10 yr old son about dogs and mentioned my 1st dog Louie who died 13 years ago. Had to leave the room as i got upset. I also got him cremated but still have him in his little box, 13 yrs later. Can't bury him yet!
    I have several urns of my pets at home, I never thought to bury them. I want to see and feel them. I also opened them in the past, to look at the ashes or to add small items that belonged to them. Lately, in a fold of the couch, I found a whisker of my cat who died in March. It was a wonderful and precious finding and I added it into her urn.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I still miss my terriers. I buried them in my back garden so that they can be near me, and whenever I move on I plan to take them with me. Weird, I know, but they were both abandoned once and I won't do it to them again.

I never got to bury my dog. The whole day of euthanasia is such a blur can't remember much. I'm sorry now I didn't bury her or get her ashes. Was in shock so I couldn't make a decision.

Never felt loss like it. I want to talk about her but feel I shouldn't cause people get fed up listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭123shooter

Think about them every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I never got to bury my dog. The whole day of euthanasia is such a blur can't remember much. I'm sorry now I didn't bury her or get her ashes. Was in shock so I couldn't make a decision.

Never felt loss like it. I want to talk about her but feel I shouldn't cause people get fed up listening.

Don't blame yourself, you did what you thought was best in a terrible situation. It's easy looking back in hindsight.

All that matters is that you loved your little lady and she knew it.

cmat wrote: »

I still have my last golden Charlie in his little box (8 years on ), now I have Joey on a shelf next to him ,
    We plan to bury both of them in the garden where they used to watch the world go by and we are going to plant a Rowan tree on the spot as well , will probably do this in the spring and hopefully get a new golden puppy by then if we are all ready for it .

• Advertisement

You can always talk to us or send me a pm :)

You’re not alone hun

Advertisement