Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭titan18

anewme wrote: »
    People have no sense.

Years ago now, our very first family dog had to be put to sleep at the grand old age of 18. My Mum was gutted and took to her bed the whole weekend.

When she went back to work on Monday, she must have said she was not in great form and why. Some smartass from the factory floor came up to her and said, " doggone it Mary" and started to laugh.

She said it was the nearest she ever came to punching someones lights out in work.

If someone said something today to me about my cat like that, I don't care if it was work, or if it was the CEO, they'd have either had several curses flying at them, or taken a punch. My cat was my best friend and my brother, they're not just animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

A neighbors dog who practically lived at our house died on Thursday. He was a young dog maybe 2 or 3 years old. We think he might have got knocked down as there was no one at home all day. My father found him in our back garden that evening but it was too late to bring him to a vet. He is now buried with our lad who’s year anniversary is next week. We treated him like he was our dog as he spent most of his time with us. I’m heartbroken :( burying 2 dogs in one year is too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Sleep tight my gorgeous Junior. You're with Teddy, Mouse, Wilson, Fudge and Benny now.

Love you my girlywirly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Ah, so sorry to hear that Jellybear. Junior is romping free with her pals now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Sorry for your losses. It's an awful thing to go through.

Cleaning up around the back garden yesterday and found some half buried toys that belonged to my Sally. Shed a tear and a smile. Could totally see her digging away absolutely destroyed in muck.

Those memories are priceless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

La.de.da wrote: »
    Sorry for your losses. It's an awful thing to go through.

Cleaning up around the back garden yesterday and found some half buried toys that belonged to my Sally. Shed a tear and a smile. Could totally see her digging away absolutely destroyed in muck.

Those memories are priceless.

I was going through the garage at home looking for a spare can of deicer last week and found an old collar and a squeaky bone of Bob's.. I also had a tear or two and a smile before leaving them there for someone else to find again.
    We gave away most of his stuff but I figure little things like that might just bring back a happy memory or two now and again for us all!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I still have my wee one's collar in my bag with me all the time, along with treats i now give to other dogs i meet on my walks around.. Happy hopidays little Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

have a bit of jessies hair in my wallet since she passed and will never part with it

ive had many over the years and still remember them all with fondness

but she was a special springer never to be replaced or forgotten

she was just so different her treats wer apples and tomatoes

tears in my ould nearly sixty year eyes typing this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So sorry Fred

• Advertisement

I’m so sorry Fred. I love those quirky little cats who like to come for walks. I had one too and called him my dog-cat. RIP Pepper, clearly much loved :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sorry for your loss. Looks like he was a very elegant chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭jimf

sad news fred be strong

So sorry for your loss xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

I never thought I would post in this thread, but my beloved doggie Nessa died this morning.
    She got very ill yesterday, we had a terrible night, her being sick nearly every ten minutes, eventually vomiting blood. I called the vet who came immediately and put her to sleep. He reckoned that she had pancreatitis.
    She had diabetes for some years (she was 14yo), but responded well to her diet and injections. But this came out of the blue.

First I was very pragmatic, cleaning and washing everything, sorting her stuff out, then out of habit I went for the walk we always did together and I felt utterly lost and started to cry. The house is empty, no nagging and cuddling anymore, like the old couple we have been.

The cat is confused, too, he senses that something is amiss. The two of them were great friends, sort of.
    Thank you for listening or rather reading. I'm still so upset.

So sorry for your loss Carry

Beautiful pets xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Such sad news :( So sorry for both your losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Oh no Carry, that’s very sad to read. So sudden and shocking.

RIP Nessa, x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Carry wrote: »
    The cat is confused, too, he senses that something is amiss. The two of them were great friends, sort of.

This made me smile.

Anyone with a cat and dog together will understand.

Mind yourself. There’s something very striking about senior dogs and Nessa was a beautiful lady with such expressive eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

anewme wrote: »
    This made me smile.

Anyone with a cat and dog together will understand.

Mind yourself. There’s something very striking about senior dogs and Nessa was a beautiful lady with such expressive eyes.

Thank you, yes she had big, brown epressive eyes and she was quite a character with very much her own mind. Gosh, I miss her...

The cat (Cookie) and the dog greeted each other every day with a nose kiss and when the weather was miserable, they cuddled up together on the sofa in front of the fireplace. And outside the cat liked to "ambush" the dog, jumping out of a shrub and giving poor Nessa a quick pat on the bum, macho that he is. But she was cool about it, just gave him a condescending look.

The cat initially tried to go walking with us - the dog leading, I behind and after me the cat. People along the road couldn't help laughing at the sight of us.

I'm glad that I still have the cat. He is such a comfort at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Had to let this little man go two years ago today...still cant believe it and wont ever forgive myself for not being able to save him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Had to let this little man go two years ago today...still cant believe it and wont ever forgive myself for not being able to save him.

Don't feel any guilt adelcrowsmel,

Like all of us who have posted in the past and all,who will have to post in the future, we all think maybe,
    we might have gotten an extra day ot two if we did this or that.

In the end we all gave our little friends the best we could.

Our love and the time we spent with them, was the most precious gift we could give.

Take Care

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Rasputin87

Rocky was our absolute everything, and we had to say goodbye on Saturday.

dw0Pmm2l.jpg

I can't recall his exact age, but he was either 10 years old or not far off it. We got him from my Mum's friend not long after I left for college - I'm convinced he was a direct replacement for me. They had just gotten him, but as a pup he chewed some of their very fancy furniture and wasn't allowed stay. It was total impulse that my Mum said "Yes" when asked if we would take him, and it was the best decision she's ever made.

I can't overplay how central Rocky was to our family. Nothing was planned without him being at the forefront. Our very first holiday, we put Rocky in a kennel while we were gone. Such was the shame and guilt we felt of leaving him behind that we never want on another holiday again, and we were all okay with that! As soon as anyone walked into the room, Rocky was the first person they walked over to. He was the recipient of so many kisses every day that you'd lose count.

He was my Mum's shadow - by her side 24/7 and taking up two thirds of her bed every night. He was very peculiar with what he ate - or at least that's the act he put on, because he played her like a fiddle on his way to securing a daily diet of freshly cooked chicken fillets from the butcher. We spent more on him than we did ourselves. He liked a bit of dry food too, but wouldn't eat anything bigger than the size of the marble. We would make fun of my Mum for being so whipped by Rocky, as whenever she could only buy him the bigger dry food, she would spend hours cutting the individual nuts in half so that they were a size he would eat. She loved him so, so much. We all did, he was so much a part of our family.

I'm working abroad for a short period, and it breaks my heart that I missed the last 5 months of Rocky's life. I got the call on Friday that he had cancer, and we were told he would have 2 weeks to a month left. I was planning on finishing my contract early to spend the last few weeks with Rocky, but it was only 24 hours later when things deteriorated rapidly and we had to let him go with dignity. I don't think I'll ever come to terms with the fact I wasn't there to say goodbye to him, but my mum and my brothers were there - and Rocky knew he was loved.

It'll kill me the next time I'm home, as I loved walking in to the kitchen after being away and getting his trademark over-the-top welcome. You'd get it even if you were gone for only an hour. I can't stop thinking about how I'll never get that again.

One last thing, is that he loved watching videos on my phone. Anytime I was home, I'd hear him crying at the bottom of the stairs early in the morning. He used to be able to go up and down stairs, but he must have had a mishap once because he stopped doing it. But of course he knew we would always be there to carry him. So I'd get up, go downstairs and carry him back up to my bed. There, I would put videos on my phone or my laptop for him, and he was so happy - he'd watch them for ages. His favourite was the Star Wars Dogs commercial, but he loved any videos of dogs or birds or squirrels.

It's small solace that I got to play it for him in bed a couple of weeks ago when I was last home.

Rocky will be incredibly missed and the house will never be the same without him. I love him so much, my heart is broken and I can't wait to see him again. Here's one of the last pictures I have him, enjoying the Beast from the East and looking as happy as I've seen him.

pRAedzwl.jpg

I’m so sorry for your loss. RIP Rocky.

I loved every word of that tribute, even though I have a lump in my throat now. If only we could hold onto them for a few more years.

What a gorgeous little man, what a player, good on him for demanding the best of everything, clearly he gave it back to you all in spades.

Take care, x

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cmat

It will be difficult alright coming home without him being there but im sure talking about all the funny and thoughtful things he did will make you smile again. Rocky was like a human you could say, but time will make it easier and celebrate his life what ever way you can. Your family gave Rocky the best life any dog could of had and Rocky knew that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭cmat

It will be difficult alright coming home without him being there but im sure talking about all the funny and thoughtful things he did will make you smile again. Rocky was like a human you could say, but time will make it easier and celebrate his life what ever way you can. Your family gave Rocky the best life any dog could of had and Rocky knew that too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

After 3 years we are getting a new puppy tomorrow!
    Most of me is really excited but there’s a little bit of me apprehensive too. He’s a totally different breed so there’s no similarities but I just find it a strange feeling having a dog in the house again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Eoghan1103

My rabbits foot had been sore for a week or two, she could walk on it but it was a bit hard for her, some days she could walk on it no bother and other days she'd just lay around all day and not really move.... So I took her to the vet, they gave her a shot of antibiotics, an inflammatory and another shot from his assistant I'm not sure what it was but after the vet realised he said to her that's too much, called him up on it straight away but he said she'll be alright. She came home with a new lease of life we hadn't seen since she hurt her foot... Unfortunately the next morning she was in a seizure like state with the neck curling back and the uncontrolled kicks and died that day.... Just wanna know if it's possible for the vets to overdose rabbits, because it didn't seem like a life threatening problem with her foot

Advertisement