Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Just back from the vet, had to put down my 13 year old Lab bitch that I'v had for 10 years. A more gentle loyal and loving creature she couldn't have been and a more spoilt and pampered dog she couldn't have been either.

Not a good day, a hard thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

dieselbug wrote: »
    Just back from the vet, had to put down my 13 year old Lab bitch that I'v had for 10 years. A more gentle loyal and loving creature she couldn't have been and a more spoilt and pampered dog she couldn't have been either.

I am really sorry for your loss. You are in good company here. I still get chocked up about De Niro at random times and it’s nearly 2 years on (I think). I don’t think time is a healer but it does allow you to remember the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

So sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Hard thing to do, but the right thing. It's a year since we put Bob down and I still miss him, still get a bit teary when we find a ball in anbush or a memory pops up on Facebook, but the knowledge that we did the right thing by him helps.

Mind yourself for the next while, its a tough time, but as others have said you're in good company here, we all understand what you are going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

Had to post in here tonight as I know you'll all understand. It's just over five months since I said goodbye to Bailey. Last night I had my first dream about her and was distraught when I woke up and she wasn't there. Have pretty much cried since I woke up - I feel like the grief has hit me all over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

Just back from having my 14 year old Yorkshire terrier put down. I have no doubt it was the right decision. He was in pain and there was no coming back. He was a dog of many names, none of which he answered to. (I understand there will percieved be flaws in the ways he was raised but please refrain. He had the best personality of any dog I have ever know and now he's gone)

He spent ten years of his life as a companion to my dad who was living alone. For that alone I commend him. As a result he never got acclimated to other dogs. Obviously we knew him well and him us but we only really got to know him when we inherited him after my dad died.

He loved people and hated other dogs. I don't condone his behaviour but I've seen him chase away a German Shepard, face down a Pit Bull (friendly pit bull who thought he was funny) And commit acts of violence against a newfoundland. (The newfound didn't even know he was there)

We shall call you by your final name Mr. Biggs. You had know idea how small you were and what a big impact you have had on our lives.

So farewell dog that snores when he's awake.

Mr. Biggs Defender of the Realm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Yester

“Deep in the forest a call was sounding, and as often as he heard this call, mysteriously thrilling and luring, he felt compelled to turn his back upon the fire and the beaten earth around it, and to plunge into the forest, and on and on, he knew not where or why; nor did he wonder where or why, the call sounding imperiously, deep in the forest.”
    ― Jack London, The Call of the Wild

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

It's never easy, never. Even when it's strictly necessary, even when you plan it for days, weeks.
    Take care of yourself, I'm not going to lie to you, it might be a long time before you are able to see the light.
    It's been 14 months and 3 weeks since I said good-bye to my lovely cat, but the pain is still the same :(

Yester wrote: »
    Just back from having my 14 year old Yorkshire terrier put down.

So farewell dog that snores when he's awake.

Mr. Biggs Defender of the Realm
    RIP Mr. Biggs,
    It seems you had a wonderful life, you have much to tell the other dogs at the Rainbow Bridge, they will be amazed at how much you were loved and how much you loved.
    Hugs, Yester!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

My beloved golden retriever passed away last night. She was with us for 13 years and what joy and love she brought to the home. Im not a crier but many tears were shed today. Sally RIP and know you will always be loved never forgotten.

• Advertisement

mg1982 wrote: »
    My beloved golden retriever passed away last night. She was with us for 13 years and what joy and love she brought to the home. Im not a crier but many tears were shed today. Sally RIP and know you will always be loved never forgotten.

Yes it’s tough as they are members of the family but remember these were the lucky dogs loved and cared for as members of the family.

Yes it’s tough as they are members of the family but remember these were the lucky dogs loved and cared for as members of the family.

She had a good life here and she also bought so much to our lives. The emptiness feeling in the house when there gone is stark i wasnt prepared for it.

My beloved golden retriever passed away last night. She was with us for 13 years and what joy and love she brought to the home. Im not a crier but many tears were shed today. Sally RIP  and know you will always be loved never forgotten.
    Pets can bring out the best of us, and tears are the good part of a good soul.
    RIP Sally, you will always have a special place in your family's heart  :(

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭argentum

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me with some information please. We have two maltese and one is about to be put asleep due to an illness. We got them both on the same day and even though they both have their own beds they always sleep with each other and do everything together.
    What's the best way to help the second dog know her little pal is gone for good, do we bring his body into their room and let her smell him and check him or do we just remove his bed and his toys .I'm even crying typing this and I know it might sound stupid but if our family is this upset I don't want her to be more upset than she needs to be

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

When we had a similar dilemma we let our dog see the body. It was so upsetting but she definitely understood what was happening. She nudged her a little bit but seemed to accept how things were.

I'm so sorry you're going through such a difficult time. Will be thinking of you and your family :(

My beautiful Labrador died yesterday, we fell in love with him the moment we saw him in a dog shelter 11 years ago. He has had fluid on his lungs and was on heart medication and at our last visit to the vets we were told it wasn't his time yet and he might live for another year.
    On Saturday he gave us no indication that he was going to leave us, he ate his meals and had his usual routine, he trotted off to bed with our other 2 dogs as was normal , and yesterday morning my husband found that he had passed. I feel so guilty that I didn't get to say goodbye to him, I feel even worse because I can't be sure if he went peacefully or he suffered. Has anyone any experience of their dog dying in similiar circumstances?He was an angel of a dog and we loved him so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

argentum wrote: »
    Hi just wondering if anyone could help me with some information please. We have two maltese and one is about to be put asleep due to an illness. We got them both on the same day and even though they both have their own beds they always sleep with each other and do everything together.
    What's the best way to help the second dog know her little pal is gone for good, do we bring his body into their room and let her smell him and check him or do we just remove his bed and his toys .I'm even crying typing this and I know it might sound stupid but if our family is this upset I don't want her to be more upset than she needs to be

When we had to do this recently with one of our dogs, we took both dogs to the vets and they were on the table together to the last.
    They had spent almost eleven years together so it seemed right and we knew that we couldn't explain to the little fellow with words. He did get a bit lonely after a while so we got him a new brother from the pound.

argentum wrote: »

I had similar recently when I had to put my 13 year old Lab bitch to sleep.
    I also have a 9 year old male lab who is a pup from her so he had never been alone.
    I let him see her afterwards and he had a long sniff but seemed more confused than anything else to be honest but I believe it was the right thing. He did miss her as he would look for her in the car anytime I drove in but is better now.

So yes I would let him see.

My beautiful Labrador died yesterday, we fell in love with him the moment we saw him in a dog shelter 11 years ago. He has had fluid on his lungs and was on heart medication and at our last visit to the vets we were told it wasn't his time yet and he might live for another year.
    On Saturday he gave us no indication that he was going to leave us, he ate his meals and had his usual routine, he trotted off to bed with our other 2 dogs as was normal , and yesterday morning my husband found that he had passed. I feel so guilty that I didn't get to say goodbye to him, I feel even worse because I can't be sure if he went peacefully or he suffered. Has anyone any experience of their dog dying in similiar circumstances?He was an angel of a dog and we loved him so much

Your dog probably passed away in his sleep and there's no point in thinking anything else. Concentrate on the brilliant 11 years you gave to him when you rescued him from the shelter and not on anything negative.
    They are a fantastic companion dog and I could never imagine being without one.

Also, to pass away peacefully, in your sleep, at home is what we as humans generally all want so I personally think it was the most peaceful passing for your beloved pet.

So sorry for your loss.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. It was very hard to come home from work yesterday and for him not to greet me at the door like he always did. Our other 2 dogs miss him terribly. Although we are heartbroken we know we were very lucky to have him, he gave us all his love and loyalty and I hope he is at peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

That dreaded day arrived yesterday. My dear little Bonnie passed away.

I think they threw every westie condition at her. From skin problems which occured a couple of times a year. She then developed diabetes and eventually went blind. Now this didnt hold her back. She loved her walks in the park but her favourite place was the beach. She loved to paddle along slowly. Then it was cushings disease but sadly it was her lung disease that took her in the end.

The house is so quite. Its the first time in many years that there is no dog here, having lost my other dog last year.

Sleep well Bonnie, missing you so much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

*Hugs* So sorry for your loss :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sorry for your loss santasbird.

Such a gorgeous looking little dog. RIP Bonnie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

So sorry for your loss, she was a beauty xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Had to get one of ours put to sleep a few months back. Her mind was gone, no idea where she was, what she was doing. Walking around in circles and if she got into a corner, she'd be stuck until someone helped her out, although she slept in her little hut for most of the day thankfully. She didn't even notice our other dogs, it was as if they weren't even there. She deteriorated so quickly as well. From normal to gone in no time at all. It's not something I'd want to experience again.

Sleep tight little Bonnie xxxx

Its so hard losing them. Almost 3 weeks after losing sally we are still grieving. Am seriously considering going to a rescue centre one of the days cos a home without a dog doesnt feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭santasbird

Its so hard losing them. Almost 3 weeks after losing sally we are still grieving. Am seriously considering going to a rescue centre one of the days cos a home without a dog doesnt feel the same.

So sorry for your loss. I couldnt agree more, the house seems empty :( I need to give myself some time, how long that will be, Im not sure. I've always wanted a lurcher and there are so many looking for homes. I'll see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

With regards staying with your dog at the end I have to add my bit. I am the most unemotional person ever. I refuse to go to funerals as I don’t see the point. Also, wouldn’t be the best at seeing close family or friends to say a last goodbye as it was.

I really thought that if I ever was in the position that I had to let a dog go to sleep that it would be the case of dropping off and that was it. But when I got the news that my beloved De Niro had incurable cancer at the age of 2 it all changed. I am so indebted to the locum vet who cried as she told me they had never seen such an aggressive cancer in such a young dog. I asked for my options and she said ‘we could try chemo but likely prognosis is 3 months with a lot of suffering at the end or 2 months without’. She saw the hurt and despair in my eyes and said ‘it’s 2 days before Christmas, take him home and give him the best Christmas ever, and come back’.

I cam back on the 4th of January and the head vet met me at 07.00am. He said to come back at 13.00 and he would have the practice closed. I brought De Niro home and hugged him and he fell asleep in my arms. When I brought him back, the vet and nurse were there and put a blanket on him. I knew I couldn’t leave and stayed and held him til the end. It was horrible but so nice at the same time.

To the poster whose dog died in the night, I can guarantee it was peaceful. If the dog was in any way stressed or in pain it would not have left you to go to bed. Slipping away while asleep while dreaming of a juicy bone or a long walk is what happened.

Advertisement