Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cute nose, sorry for your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Sorry for your loss, @auspicious, she was a cute kitty indeed.

One of my cats developed fluids around her lungs and was drained a few times. We never understood what led that fluid to build up, all possible tests were done, and I spent several hundreds, but they all came up clear.
    She died to a different disease, but those fluids kept tormenting her for a year.

RIP Kizzy!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭flos1964

My dog Brownie died yesterday...she was sick and had lost the power of her back legs...she was with the vets for the week but it was hopeless so the dreaded decision was made to put her to sleep...she came to me seven years ago running into my garden on Christmas eve as i dug the vegetables for Christmas dinner...that was the beginning of a wonderful friendship...she never let me out of her sight, i remember one winters evening getting dark and almost blizzard like when i got away on her because i did not want her to get cold...i was down the fields herding the sheep and i could not see her but i could hear coming crying on my trail and she appeared out of the snow like she had not seen me for years...i had to hold her and console her and tell her it was ok...i was not going anywhere and everything would be fine...that happened so many times...i always had the feeling that she had been badly treated so i had to put that right... i gave her food and in return i got unconditional love, affection, and loyalty. I am sitting here now with tears streaming down my face typing because i need it to be known that a gorgeous, kind and loving dog called Brownie died yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

That is such a beautiful, moving tribute to a dog called Brownie.

I’m sorry for your loss flos1964, what a lucky day it was for you both when Brownie landed at your house. May she Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭PinkLady2016

flos1964 wrote: »
    My dog Brownie died yesterday...she was sick and had lost the power of her back legs...she was with the vets for the week but it was hopeless so the dreaded decision was made to put her to sleep...she came to me seven years ago running into my garden on Christmas eve as i dug the vegetables for Christmas dinner...that was the beginning of a wonderful friendship...she never let me out of her sight, i remember one winters evening getting dark and almost blizzard like when i got away on her because i did not want her to get cold...i was down the fields herding the sheep and i could not see her but i could hear coming crying on my trail and she appeared out of the snow like she had not seen me for years...i had to hold her and console her and tell her it was ok...i was not going anywhere and everything would be fine...that happened so many times...i always had the feeling that she had been badly treated so i had to put that right... i gave her food and in return i got unconditional love, affection, and loyalty. I am sitting here now with tears streaming down my face typing because i need it to be known that a gorgeous, kind and loving dog called Brownie died yesterday.

So sorry to hear about your beloved Brownie.. It's really difficult to loise thrm. Like they are a part of us. It's really tough. You will always have a piece of her with you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Beautifully written tribute to a much treasured Brownie.

I made the mistake of reading this in the car while I was waiting to collect something and as a result it got collected with big red eyes.

You were meant to find her. It was definitely mapped out.

Take care and be kind to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,261 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

You were both blessed to find each other and such a beautiful tribute to a beautiful dog xxxx

flos1964 wrote: »
    I am sitting here now with tears streaming down my face typing because i need it to be known that a gorgeous, kind and loving dog called Brownie died yesterday.

And now all the world knows what a wonderful dog you and we lost, and what an amazing creature the Heaven gained.
    RIP Brownie, you will be remembered forever! :(

It is with a heavy heart that I have to report the loss of my beautiful little boy, Toby, aged only 7 years on Thursday. From diagnosis of kidney failure to losing him was less than a week. I’m still overcome with shock and grief.

He was the best dog, we had an amazing bond and there is a huge hole in my heart.

I’m trying to accept my new reality, but it’s bloody hard.

[img][/img]96A56CBF-E455-4AA5-910E-9049A034BE9E.jpeg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Fakediamond i'm so sorry glad he had you as a friend though.. Rest easy Toby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Sorry for your loss. Toby looked like a lovely boy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭flos1964

Thats terrible news Fakediamond...god its only a week ago you helped me with my loss...beautiful photo...my deepest sympathies on the loss of Toby.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I hate when I see this thread popping up in my followed threads.

There are some lovely posters here that do help. But losing a pet is devastating.

De Niro dying was as devastating as can be. I still get so upset when I think about him. Time does dull the pain but can come back sharply. Just allow yourself to grieve... Remember when they made you laugh, cry and even pull your hair out. Don't worry if what you are feeling differs to others.. It's all personal. Don't worry if friends, family or others don't get it or are cruel... They don't mean to be. Remember the bond and be grateful. Hope that makes sense.

Fakediamond, I'm sorry for your loss, Toby was a cute dog and a great friend for you...
    May he RIP :(

I stopped using photo hosting so take it from me she was the prettiest, daintiest little black cat. Five years old, I thought she would be 20 and on so many medications she would bankrupt me. She was so clever - and so road smart. At 5:45 today she was down watching Pointless, she always watched till she saw the Pointless trophy, then as usual she hopped down in front of me meowing. I would change channel then so she could watch news for the deaf... Then the Angelus. I trained her to get a treat at the Angelus, I actually just stocked up on her treats. We have a 13 week old Newfie puppy so her nose had been out of joint for the last month, but she was warming to him. She had her Angelus and went out the window. I was outside with my pup in the back garden when I heard a firework go off, I was just marvelling at how brave the baba is when our doorbell rang. Two neighbours were outside, they had already moved her off the road but she looked a mess. My husband got some cardboard and we slid it under her and into the boot, and drove her to UCD. Probably the hardest drive I ever had to do, shaking and crying and my effing car misting up and stressing me out. There was nothing they could do. We opted to stay with her at the end, even though I wasn't sure I wanted to see her like that again, my perfect, pretty kitty. I'm so glad I did. Just to know by the end that she was totally done in, that there was no other option. But I think she knew I was there. She adored me. I think she thought I was her mother, or at least her favourite slave. I said her name and touched her mangled face and a front leg reached out - she always reached out her little paw and liked me to gently rub it. So I took her tiny paw and rubbed it while she left us. She was utterly adored and treated like the little princess she was for her five short years. I have so many memories of how we carried each other through some times, my father's death, our many house moves... I love you Amelia. Sleep well my baby.

I’m so sorry Budgese.

I lost a cat in similar circumstances four years ago. It’s tormenting because you know 2 seconds of timing either way could have changed the outcome.

RIP Amelia, so loved and wanted.

I know that she was given the best things in life - wouldn't say she wanted for nothing because she was a cat and obviously wanted everything and she couldn't always have everything! But she was my special baby. I think the firework going off probably startled her and caused her to be hit. But I don't blame myself for letting her out. It could have happened any night, any day, and she was a real independent spirit who couldn't be kept in. Only this week she left me a headless bird and a month ago we were fighting over her prised dead rat. She had a happy, spoilt rotten five years, and in the end we did our absolute best for her so we can at least sleep easy knowing that this is one of those things and not blame ourselves. If I could sleep.. I know it will get easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I’ve been dreading the day when I’d have to write in this thread but unfortunately the day has arrived.

Jack (one half of my user name, his sister’s the other half) died yesterday and I am heartbroken. Him and Presley are from the same litter and as of this week were 14 years old. They are the first dogs I have ever owned and am absolutely gutted over the loss of Jack. He was the friendliest, most loyal companion. Whereas Presley is more independent, Jack followed me everywhere, was constantly looking to get rubbed and scratched and was always at my feet. I miss him so much.

Jack (one half of my user name, his sister’s the other half) died yesterday and I am heartbroken.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your precious Jack, it's hard to lose someone so faithful, true and loyal.
    RIP Jack! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 wagonwheel2

My dog Jessie was killed 2 days ago by the other dog that lives on the farm. :( She was 11 years old and such a sweet little dog. She had been attacked a few times by this younger dog but i never thought she'd end up killing her. she was my walking and hiking buddy and now i don't feel i'll be able to walk the same path or climb the same mountains again without her by my side as it will never be as enjoyable as it was with her there. Won't be able to get another dog as the one who killed her is too vicious to them. :(

• Advertisement

That's absolutely terrible and shocking!
    Poor little Jessie, she was trusting her friend and she killed her.

My thoughts are with you. Please honor her by walking the same paths while thinking of her, I'm sure she'll walk by your side even if you don't see her.

RIP sweet Jessie! :(

That's absolutely terrible and shocking!
    Poor little Jessie, she was trusting her friend and she killed her.

My thoughts are with you. Please honor her by walking the same paths while thinking of her, I'm sure she'll walk by your side even if you don't see her.

RIP sweet Jessie! :(

Thank you. For now those walks will be too sad for me but in time i will get back out there.

This was where she was happiest, out walking the mountains with me.

Thank you. For now those walks will be too sad for me but in time i will get back out there.

Picture hopefully attached this time.

Picture hopefully attached this time.

Lovely indeed!
    I'd feel proud of having such a beauty by my side ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It’s the things like that that hurt me the most following one of my dog’s dying recently. The first walk with just the other one and even the rigmarole we used to go through putting on the leads were both tough. And when I went for a run, Jack used to sit on the window sill and watch until I came back so it was another reminder that he’s gone when he wasn’t looking out when I got back the first time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

My dad's cat died two weeks ago. My sister brought it down to the vet as we suspected something was wrong. The vet kept it in overnight and decided as it's kidneys had failed it should be put down. I rang my dad and told him. He didn't realize that it was so sick and all of a sudden one day later the cat has been put down without him saying goodbye. My dad (mid 70s) doesn't have much else and he will really miss his cat. It was his best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

What a nice thread for a change, very sad time when we loose a pet--- lost my staffie about 8 weks ago , had to get him put to sleep as old age was making it difficult for him, they say 'A dog is a man's best friend. i can say he was my best friend everyone else has let me down in one way or another. got a nice little terrier from the local pound , we have to carry on , don't be afraid to have a new pet give them a chance to find a new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

decky1 wrote: »
    What a nice thread for a change, very sad time when we loose a pet--- lost my staffie about 8 weks ago , had to get him put to sleep as old age was making it difficult for him, they say 'A dog is a man's best friend. i can say he was my best friend everyone else has let me down in one way or another. got a nice little terrier from the local pound , we have to carry on , don't be afraid to have a new pet give them a chance to find a new home.

What age was the Staff when you got him put down?

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

What age was the Staff when you got him put down?

he was 11 had a lot of problems with joint pain ,walking had become very painful for him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Blueshoe wrote: »
    My dad's cat died two weeks ago. My sister brought it down to the vet as we suspected something was wrong. The vet kept it in overnight and decided as it's kidneys had failed it should be put down. I rang my dad and told him. He didn't realize that it was so sick and all of a sudden one day later the cat has been put down without him saying goodbye. My dad (mid 70s) doesn't have much else and he will really miss his cat. It was his best friend.
    Did the vet not give him a chance to saw goodbye? Awful practice if so.

Advertisement