Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Did the vet not give him a chance to saw goodbye? Awful practice if so.

I rang him and asked if he wanted to go down and he said it wouldn't do him any good. All a bit of a shock to him I'd say. I feel bad about the whole thing as in his mind there wasn't anything really wrong with the cat whereas it was obvious to the rest of us that something wasn't right. I'm more worried about him as there is a big hole in his life and routine now. He doesn't have any real hobbies or interests. It's company for him more than anything . Maybe in a couple of months il suggest getting another from the rescue.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I rang him and asked if he wanted to go down and he said it wouldn't do him any good. All a bit of a shock to him I'd say. I feel bad about the whole thing as in his mind there wasn't anything really wrong with the cat whereas it was obvious to the rest of us that something wasn't right. I'm more worried about him as there is a big hole in his life and routine now. He doesn't have any real hobbies or interests. It's company for him more than anything . Maybe in a couple of months il suggest getting another from the rescue.

don't wait that long , try to get him to get a new pet right now , he will learn to love it when he see's it and it will keep him mind active and a bit of company,

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Mutha

decky1 wrote: »
    don't be afraid to have a new pet give them a chance to find a new home.

So true, besides the many other pictures I have, he is on our fridge and I greet him every day.

Took 15 years before I could welcome a new family member in.

While a major part of me will die with them, another rescue dog will have

a home with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bayveen

Hi Folks,
    I had to put my beautiful 12 year old Wheaten Terrier Finn to sleep last Monday. It's been a week, and a hard one but I just wanted to share the poem by Jimmy Stewart "I'll always love a dog named Beau" with you all. I saw it on another page two days ago and it has helped me very much. A piece of your heart does go with them when they leave. But he isn't suffering and that has to console me for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Bayveen wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I had to put my beautiful 12 year old Wheaten Terrier Finn to sleep last Monday. It's been a week, and a hard one but I just wanted to share the poem by Jimmy Stewart "I'll always love a dog named Beau" with you all. I saw it on another page two days ago and it has helped me very much. A piece of your heart does go with them when they leave. But he isn't suffering and that has to console me for now.

I love that Jimmy Stewart poem.

Look after yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

Hi everyone.

My beautiful lab/springer had to be put down 3 weeks ago. She had fluid around her heart and an infection in her stomach. She was 14 and we got her when she was 4.
    She was such a placid dog and was so good with my son who is 6, he loved her. My husband brought her to the vets and is still heartbroken.
    I’m over 8 months pregnant and have been off work a few months with complications and been on best rest. She was at my feet constantly and I felt secure when I was in the house on my own. ( She was also very protective on my first pregnancy)
    As the weeks go by it’s getting worse not better. When I come down every morning it takes 10 seconds for me to remember why her bed is not there or her bowl.

They are just wonderful animals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

My heart is broken. Our beloved cat Daisy passed away quite suddenly today. She was 12.
    Daisy, you'll always be the boss of the house and we'll all miss you so, so much. Our beautiful girl. We love you forever. Sleep tight our little princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

jellybear wrote: »
    My heart is broken. Our beloved cat Daisy passed away quite suddenly today. She was 12.
    Daisy, you'll always be the boss of the house and we'll all miss you so, so much. Our beautiful girl. We love you forever. Sleep tight our little princess.

What a majestic beauty she was!
    Her white coat will shine at the Rainbow Bridge forever. RIP Daisy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,462 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I didn't think it would ever come to this, but after a long battle with her failing kidneys, we had to make the difficult decision to put our beloved cat, Buffy, to sleep last night, aged 17.5 years. She had become a shadow of her former self and although it was a horribly difficult decision to make, especially given the time of the year, we ultimately had no choice as her quality of life had deteriorated so much in such a short time, and it was only going to get worse.

She was always such a feisty character, hence her name, and despite her advancing years, always retained her kittenish looks, and whenever anybody saw her, they couldn't believe she was as old as she was.

The house seems so empty without her, and everywhere I look there's little reminders of her ... toys, bit's of fur, whiskers, places where she's scratched the furniture etc. It's going to be a difficult Christmas but I'm going to try and remember the good times we had with her and put a brave face on it all, but it's not going to be easy.

RIP Buffy :(

00100l-PORTRAIT-00100-BURST20181225160042599-COVER.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Aw RIP Buffy. Gorgeous cat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sorry for your loss Alun.

RIP Buffy, you beautiful creature.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

So sorry Alun, she was a beautiful girl x

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I can’t believe I’m posting this :(:(

My beautiful Lucy is gone. She had been diagnosed with kidney disease in July defying the rules of what symptoms she should have and still loving life until yesterday. She left us peacefully about an hour ago - vet was fantastic and her brother was with her like he was for all of her appointments to calm and relax her.

I chose not to post about the diagnosis and only told a few friends as I just found it too hard to talk about - I had been warned from day one that she could suddenly get very sick so it’s been an emotional and stressful 5 months.

Thank you to Knine and DBB for your support throughout

Awh tk123 I'm so, so sorry :( Poor Lucy. Such an awful shock for you all. Sleep tight Lovely Lucy xxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Oh my god I’m so so sorry tk. Poor Lucy, run free little one. Hope you’re all holding up okay xx

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I'm devastated for you TK. I don't post here much anymore but Lucy and Bailey have always been two of my favourite boards pets and I know how much you love them. I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope you all, including Bailey, are taking good care of yourselves.

Oh no,no, tk123, I’m devastated for you, I can’t believe your lovely Lucy is gone. As you know I lost my beautiful boy Toby to kidney failure only in October and did not understand about this deadly disease until then.

You did everything right, and your beautiful girl had a fabulous life. I’m so so sorry, and I’m in tears here as I know what you’re going through.

RIP lovely Lucy. :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Devastated for you tk... Lucy was such a happy, cheerful girl, with a big personality that filled the room as she walked in. It's hard to believe she's gone :(
    She could have asked for no more from you tk, she wanted for nothing, ever.
    So long Lucy. You're a good girl :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’m so sorry to hear about Lucy Tk. As any good pet parent knows it’s a terrible loss. My thoughts are with you & Bailey at this time.

Jellybear so sorry I missed your announcement of Daisy’s passing. She was such a beautiful kitty and am sure she’ll be sorely missed. I don’t post in this thread often because I never really know what or how to say anything meaningful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh Tk, how awful. What a life you gave her. Take care of yourself and Bailey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

So sorry to hear of Lucy's passing. My grannys old lab died on christmas eve when i was in my teens. I always think of him this time of year with fond memories. I hope its the same for you with Lucy. Take care of yourself x.

Thanks guys. Just very weird without her last night and today. Missed my cuddles with her this morning - she slept on my bed :(

498500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

so sorry tx, such a sad time, I also don't post as much, but loved reading and seeing photo of them both, she looked such a bundle of fun, take care of yourself and Baily, my heart goes out to you both.. rest well Lucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

tk123 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. Just very weird without her last night and today. Missed my cuddles with her this morning - she slept on my bed :(
    I'm so sad to hear this, Bailey and Lucy had a great life with you, you must be heart broken, run free Lucy, no more sickness.

I've just seen this now Tk123 and absolutely devastated for you. Lucy was the most beautiful girl and I've loved hearing about her and Bailey and seeing their pics over the years. I know how devoted you were to her and can well imagine your heartache. I'm so sorry. x

Thanks everyone. I feel like she was a real boards baby. I remember posting pics of her in the chillout zone before I even took her home!

It's just awful. She was the complete opposite of what her test results were coming back with and the vets couldn't believe it - happy and bright and not wasting away.. Christmas just kind of got in the way - I had decided that it was just fairer to let her go sooner (we were doing a lot of treatment at home) while she was ok and still my lovely Lucy girl - before that changed. So I had kind of accepted it and it was hopefully going to happen when my vet was back next week - but would take it day by day and go sooner if needed. Unfortunately something changed Christmas morning, I drove to the vets on xmas day as I knew somebody would be there to check on inpatients but must have missed them :( But I had come prepared and left a note in the door asking them to call me (I knew they would even though they were closed). It was so peaceful and I couldn't have asked for it to be better - I'm so glad I left the note and it was in my vets. She'd been coming to Bailey's weekly laser since July and loved the place and all the staff - would entertain them all wooing at everyone - staff and customers lol :o So she was just relaxed - had a big bag of treats wagging her tail to the vet and me and my friend (who was just amazing and came with me), stood in beside me for cuddles as always as I was kneeling down and then lay down beside her brother for the last time with her head in my lap fast asleep and relaxed.. and we just kept telling her how good she was and how much we loved her :(:(:(

Just heartbroken and poor Bailey is just lying on her blanket :(

Oh tk123, that's beautiful and heartbreaking at the same time.
    A lovely, peaceful end for Lucy though. Full of love, which I'm sure was all she felt. You did the kindest thing for her, even though it has broken your heart.

I’m thinking of all our beloved pets who passed away this year, especially my own beautiful Toby.

Gone but never forgotten...

Thanks for an amazing 7 years of fun, unconditional love and being my motivation to exercise daily! I wish we could have had 7 more.

Lots of love until we meet again, little bear.

943CF657-0EB4-4432-B075-18B9C6397AA9.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,056 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Always hate when this thread shows up in my followed threads.

Especially this time of year as it was early January that I said goodbye to de Niro at the age of two. Miss him a lot and while time makes it easier, the little things can be devastating. But thinking about the unquestionable love and the good times always brings a smile. Honestly, out of all the forums this is the most helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

tk123 wrote: »
    I can’t believe I’m posting this :(:(

My beautiful Lucy is gone. She had been diagnosed with kidney disease in July defying the rules of what symptoms she should have and still loving life until yesterday. She left us peacefully about an hour ago - vet was fantastic and her brother was with her like he was for all of her appointments to calm and relax her.

I chose not to post about the diagnosis and only told a few friends as I just found it too hard to talk about - I had been warned from day one that she could suddenly get very sick so it’s been an emotional and stressful 5 months.

Thank you to Knine and DBB for your support throughout

I'm only seeing this sad news now TK. I don't post here as much anymore but Lucy is one of iconic boards API dogs. She had the most fantastic life, and she'll be fondly remembered by a lot of people.
    RIP Lucy, run free.

Advertisement