Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Ruby Ring wrote: »
    Daisy ... still miss her after all these years
    I know, it comes in waves. I cried today while walking in a favourite place for my dog, so many memories with every step I took. I could almost see him running ahead of me and then the wave of emotion, the knowing that I’ll never see him doing that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Tonight Jake died in my arms, 6 weeks away from his 19th birthday.
    My daughter is heartbroken, we had him since she was a toddler, he was her cat. We knew the time was coming, he was diagnosed with kidney failure 3 years ago, and was getting stiff with arthritis, I came home to find him collapsed, rang the vet but his breathing was getting raspy even while on the phone, I chose not to bring him over as he hated the car, and sat holding him for his last few mins. We have to bury him in the morning, in the sunniest part of the garden, he loved the sun.
    Pic of him recently sitting on one of the dogs.

Tonight Jake (ginger cat) died in my arms, 6 weeks away from his 19th birthday.
    My daughter is heartbroken, we had him since she was a toddler, he was her cat. We knew the time was coming, he was diagnosed with kidney failure 3 years ago, and was getting stiff with arthritis, I came home to find him collapsed, rang the vet but his breathing was getting raspy even while on the phone, I chose not to bring him over as he hated the car, and sat holding him for his last few mins. We have to bury him in the morning, in the sunniest part of the garden, he loved the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

So sorry for your loss Mymo, deepest sympathies to you and your daughter. What a wonderful age Jack was. As hard as as it is, you were there for his final journey. take care now.
    RIP Jack x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I'm heartbroken, Mymo, I'm so sorry for your loss. Your Jake was a fighter, he lived to 19 despite his renal failure, a wonderful goal for a cat.

RIP Jake, you loved your family and were loved back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

I’m so sorry for your loss mymo. Jake was clearly a much loved and treasured family member. I hope you can take some comfort that he was able to undertake his final journey in his own home, rather than a stressful dash to the vet and all that would entail.

May he rest in peace.

We buried him beside Ruby, who died this time last year, she has a rose Bush and Jake has cat mint to mark his grave, suits them both he was a soft cuddly boy who everyone loved, she was temperamental as all torties and prone to poke you with her claws. (but no less loved)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Sorry to hear of your loss mymo, and hopefully you find peace in that he is no longer in pain and is running free now. He sounds like he was some fighter living till 19 years of age.

We just got Tobys ashes back today along with some of his fur and a paw print engraved into some clay which we weren’t expecting and is lovely. Brought all the emotions back again but at least we will forever have a memory of his paw prints now and we are all currently just reminiscing of the memories we have with him again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Just back from having our beautiful Calico cat put to sleep, she was 19 years old, I've had her literally half my life and I can't believe she's gone.
    Was never a cat person so when this kitten landed on my doorstep I took her in with the intention of finding her a new home but as you can guess she never ended up going anywhere.
    She has been around for so many of the big milestones in my life, getting my first home, getting married, bringing home 2 babies, moving counties and took them all with her placid, dignified manner.
    She has seen and out lived many of our dogs, having never been even sick herself. But when she showed up with a black scab on her little pink nose at the end of the summer I knew immediately it was cancer.
    God I'm going to miss her so much, even at 3am when she'd get me out of my warm bed to let her out.
    Sleep tight Kitty, you've converted this dog person into a cat person x

lrushe wrote: »
    Just back from having our beautiful Calico cat put to sleep, she was 19 years old, I've had her literally half my life and I can't believe she's gone.
    Was never a cat person so when this kitten landed on my doorstep I took her in with the intention of finding her a new home but as you can guess she never ended up going anywhere.
    She has been around for so many of the big milestones in my life, getting my first home, getting married, bringing home 2 babies, moving counties and took them all with her placid, dignified manner.
    She has seen and out lived many of our dogs, having never been even sick herself. But when she showed up with a black scab on her little pink nose at the end of the summer I knew immediately it was cancer.
    God I'm going to miss her so much, even at 3am when she'd get me out of my warm bed to let her out.

I'm sorry irushe, we lost our Ruby a year ago next week, torties/calico cats are full of personality. Jake was also almost 19 and it's so hard, my daughter doesn't remember life without him (she's 22), but we gave them our love, and the best lives we could.
    Sleep tight kitty.

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear IRushe, you clearly gave this cat a lot of love! Considering she even turned you into a cat person from a dog person! It’s going to be hard getting used to just waking up and not seeing her or hearing her around, not going to lie on that part coming from a person who just recently lost our dog. But you will eventually find peace in that she is at peace and free. You did everything you could for her and she most definitely appreciated it! It will take a while to get used to it coming from somebody who just recently lost their very best friend in the world but at least you know they are now happy. Hopefully you will be ok going forward , not easy losing a very good friend, especially if she was a 19 year old fighter! Hoping for the best for you

mymo wrote: »
    I'm sorry irushe, we lost our Ruby a year ago next week, torties/calico cats are full of personality. Jake was also almost 19 and it's so hard, my daughter doesn't remember life without him (she's 22), but we gave them our love, and the best lives we could.
    Sleep tight kitty.

My son who's 8 is the same. He wrote her a note "I loved you Kitty, you were my BFF" and put it under her paw before we buried her, broke my heart :o

So sorry to hear IRushe, you clearly gave this cat a lot of love! Considering she even turned you into a cat person from a dog person! It’s going to be hard getting used to just waking up and not seeing her or hearing her around, not going to lie on that part coming from a person who just recently lost our dog. But you will eventually find peace in that she is at peace and free. You did everything you could for her and she most definitely appreciated it! It will take a while to get used to it coming from somebody who just recently lost their very best friend in the world but at least you know they are now happy. Hopefully you will be ok going forward , not easy losing a very good friend, especially if she was a 19 year old fighter! Hoping for the best for you

Thank you x

• Registered Users Posts: 21,458 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It always touches me when I read about people's sons or daughters who are now young adults losing pets that they've known since they were born and have been there for them effectively for ever.

Alun wrote: »
    It always touches me when I read about people's sons or daughters who are now young adults losing pets that they've known since they were born and have been there for them effectively for ever.

When daughter started school she talked about Jake a lot, told her friend she was teaching Jake to skip (nearly did tooðŸ˜) and that he was going to be 2 soon, one of the parents asked about her "brother"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

She had a mission to accomplish on Earth, and she did accomplish it.
    I'm sure she was true friend for all of you.

RIP Kitty, you'll be very much missed :(

Just want to check in and hope everyone is doing ok. Its 61days since I said goodbye to my little man.
    This morning his headstone came, and it was lovely to be able to have his little garden finished.
    More tears, but at last some smiles and laughter, I can now talk about him without choking up, about all the things he did, good and bad!

Its only when I'm alone that I get a lump in my throat, but not every time.
    The house is still so quite without him.

Heart felt wishes to everyone,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Firblog

Buns passed away yesterday :(; either that or her April fools joke backfired massively

Buns1.jpg

Very sad house last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh what a gorgeous bunny! So sorry for your loss :(

Sorry to hear firblog :( she was gorgeous

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Firbolg I'm so sorry, what a beauty you shared your life with

So sorry firblog, what a lovely looking girl she as, so hard on ye all, Rest in peace Buns.

Thanks folks,

Mad thing was I was not happy when she was bought, a rabbit? useless things, just eat and sh*t.. an guess who would have to do the cleaning?

Well when she came over to me for the first time an didn't run away when I pet her, when she flopped down humming with happiness beside me, jumped up into my arms when she was a little afraid of new friend we brought her; well she became the favourite thing in my world... everyone knew she would be the first thing I'd be saving in a fire.

Luckily? it didn't come as a shock, we'd had her at the vet a couple of times since Christmas, because we thought she'd had some type of small seizures but had been told all her vitals were bang on, but those had kinda brought her mortality into focus, lessening the shock of her passing. Her pic is up on the mantelpiece, the only one out of 6 pets, and there it will stay :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh Firblog that has me in tears. We lost our last rabbit, of 7, recently and they really are such gorgeous pets. There's just something special about them. Hope you're doing okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Sadly lost one of our dogs today, 8 year old Shih Tzu, was diagnosed with Heart Murmur a few years ago but his breathing became more labored and wheezy over past 2 months. This morning was barely able to breath and vet had to put down.

Notorious for all his antics over the years so will be missed by our family and our other dog

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ah Dillon i'm sorry, they really can be buckets of personality alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Ah Dillon i'm sorry, they really can be buckets of personality alright

Thanks Gremlinertia, may sound cliche but he was similar to the movie "Marley and Me" where he always doing something quirky or causing trouble but it what makes us remember him more.

So sorry for your loss Dillon,

Sweetie passed this morning, only 3 weeks after Buns above, hit much harder this time for some reason

Two of them are together again now

Buns-Sweetie.jpg

• Advertisement

Firbolg what a blow, devastating, I'm so sorry.

Advertisement