Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh Firblog, I'm so sorry :(

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Oh Firblog, Heartbreaking for you all, so so sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭matthewmurdock

My cat Wilson died today. His first birthday was this week.

The vet suspects he was hit by a car. He was in the neighbours garden under the trampoline in obvious discomfort, there was a little blood. We rushed him to the vet and within 30 mins we got a phonecall he had passed. I definitely didn't think at the time that it was going to be the last time I was to see him alive, probably because he had a brush with serious illness last Christmas that he fully recovered from. Gave me hope that he could beat anything.

He was my first pet and I can't remember a sadder moment in my entire life. When other people used to talk about their lost pets I never quite got it, because I never lost one. He will be missed so much and was probably my best friend for the last year. He used to sleep on my bed near daily and it'll be strange to not have him around.

ijHCz2A
    ijHCz2A

Awh I'm so sorry for your loss. Sleep tight Wilson.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Matthew I'm so sorry, it's amazing how quickly they become very much family, thank you for giving him a good life

• Advertisement

Matthew I'm so sorry, it's amazing how quickly they become very much family, thank you for giving him a good life

Thanks, that is one thing I keep telling myself to try and cheer myself up a bit.

Although he had a short life, he definitely had a good one, he was the king of the house, everybody spent their days doting on him.

According to the vet he was very lucky to survive his illness at Christmas which had him in hospital for a full week - so maybe the best way to look at it is that he got an extra 5 brilliant months, that he wouldn't have had otherwise. Well at least, that's what I'm trying to tell myself at the moment. Litres of tears have been shed today :(.

Thanks all for the kind words.

So sorry to hear, he was lucky to have found a great home with you, RIP Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Matthew, I'm deeply sorry for the loss of your Wilson.
    Yes, you're right, you never fully understand what losing a pet feels like until you lose one. And from that moment on, others' pain becomes yours too.
    This is how I feel whenever I read of one who has lost their cats or dogs, because I know that pain.

Wilson wishes to thank you for the great life you gave him, and wants you to know that now he's happy, up there, on his own cloud, where no pain or illness will never get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

So sorry to hear of others’ losses here, but reading it and sharing it is making it easier for me, so thank you. I lost my buddy Casper last night, my little springer spaniel cross who came into my life 13 years ago.

He came into this life dumped in a box at a rescue centre, along with his litter mates (him and his brother came home with us; the other fella’s still here). He went out of this life a much loved family member, with me holding him in my arms as he went to sleep.

It looked like acute heart failure: he had slowed down over a few weeks and then he just flatlined really over 24 hours. Even yesterday morning he was at the vet and she was doing some tests and we thought he might do ok on meds. He was very uncomfortable for an hour just before the end, before I could get him back to the vet, which was so hard. He never let anything bother him and just got on with things. But I don’t think I could have stopped it and I made sure that experience was as short as possible. 13 years of love and fun right up till then, he never stopped moving, so I think he got a good innings.

I’ll miss you buddy. Thanks for all the fun times.

290-A9578-20-B8-4876-9392-E052-FEA4-B95-D.jpg

I know I didn't really post here much, but I read a lot and you guys helped me once when my dogs skin was very bad, but most of you probably don't know me or my Bichon toby.

Unfortunately he's had to be put down today, the hardest decision we've ever had to make as a family. He's been in pain for a few months and on steroids and Painkillers. Thought he was getting better but he wasn't and then he was put on morphine patch but was still roaring in pain so there was nothing else we could do. About 7 discs in his back welded together. He was gone within 30 seconds so he was ready to go I think as he had stopped eating and drinking for a few days.

Remembering the good memories we had together now. Just wanted somewhere to post to let my emotions out and it's helping. Thanks so much for your help with his skin issues a few months back, I'm sure he was very grateful for it. This post is probably all over the place but I'm just glad he's painfree now and managed to give us the 9 and a half years of joy that he did

I know you posted this a few months ago SleetAndSnow, but thank you so much for sharing. It’s helping me a lot today to know I’m not the only one whose buddy went through that sudden pain at the end. So heartbreaking to see, but it does help to know we definitely made the right decisions for Toby and Casper.

Hope you’re doing ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Breezer wrote: »
    I know you posted this a few months ago SleetAndSnow, but thank you so much for sharing. It’s helping me a lot today to know I’m not the only one whose buddy went through that sudden pain at the end. So heartbreaking to see, but it does help to know we definitely made the right decisions for Toby and Casper.

Hope you’re doing ok.

It's one of the worst things you will experience really, and I don't think people who didn't have a pet understands based on the reactions we got when we had to put Toby down, and I honestly was the same before we did as he was my first pet. Its only since that I know how upsetting and how close they really are to us and they really are members of the family.

I'm so sorry to hear about Casper, especially so during this hard time but you gave him the best life he could have had and just remember that, it is what helped me get through it. This pandemic has been hard because i've just been at home and have been missing my friend but I am just happy he is no longer in pain, and I hope that you will get some relief from that too in the coming days when the initial shock is over.

So sorry to hear again and I hope that you will be ok

Sorry for your loss Breezer.

They'll always have a place in our hearts. As the days have gone by, it has still been difficult but I've moved from mourning to a kind of fond rememberance. Hopefully that happens to you too.

So Sorry for your loss Breezer, what lucky boy's that you took them in so many years ago.
    Beautful photo of Casper, you can see the love he had for you, with his wonderful big smile.
    Be kind to yourself, you could not have done any more for him.
    RIP Casper x

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

Breezer, so very sorry for your loss. Casper looks like an amazing friend, what a stunner! He certainly landed on his paws when he met you.
    You absolutely gave him the best life he could have had, right to the end.
    4 months after losing my old girl, and I still miss her terribly. The physical feeling of loss is not as acute as it was, but I really, really wish she was still around. I even saw her in a dream the other night.
    The feeling of loss will ease a little, but Casper will always be with you, and that's a nice feeling to keep hold of.
    All the best, so sorry for your grief.

Thanks to everyone for the messages of support. After a lot of processing, talking to the vet, and cuddling the very cuddly Scamp (Casper’s brother), I’ve come to a stage where I miss him being around, but I accept that he had a full and very comfortable, love-filled life. It was just his time.

No doubt I’ll start welling up again when I get his ashes back from cremation, and at other times in the future, but right now I’m content that I could give him a good life, and he could give it back to me in spades.

Sorry to hear you’re finding things so tough Meemars. You must have had a very special relationship with your girl, and that’s something to treasure. I agree that the hurt will ease, and the happy memories will always be there, which is lovely. I guess we should both try focus on that during the sad times.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

My best friend Bábóg the cat passed away today. He was run over on a road near our house. I had him in my life for the past two years. He came to me when I was going through the toughest time of my life. Bábóg kept me going when times were tough.

When I first met him, he had no collar on, so I thought he was just a stray cat, but I eventually found out he was owned by a neighbouring family. We pretty much shared custody of him. I let him sleep in my kitchen, and nap in the bedrooms upstairs. He loved his food, he loved to play and he loved being loved by my wife and I. He was very happy and loved by everybody in our part of the estate. I used to get so happy when I would see him in my rear view mirror, running after me, following my car into the drive when I would return home. He used to sit on my pillar at night waiting for me to spot him. He would come to the glass door in the kitchen, and stand upright like a meerkat to get my attention. He'd keep staring at me until I noticed him and let him in. I thought he was safe because we are not that near a main road, but he got out to it last night, probably being chased by another cat, I don't know. I have many regrets, but he wasn't technically my cat, and also he loved going outside, so I didn't feel I could imprison him in our house. It's bittersweet: what I loved about him was that he didn't seem like a pet, he was like a cool friend. I used to joke to my wife that he reminded of Kramer in Seinfeld, popping in to use our facilities and visit with us. He was a real little character smile.png

I was awoken this morning by my neighbour at 7am with the bad news. I'm already struggling with depression, and this feels like a hammer blow, but I will keep going, and I will honour his memory. I also have 4 ferals cats that I look after (I got them neutered/spayed, feed them and take them for vet visits when I can get them into the trap), and they will help get me through. We also told his owners what happened (they are a Syrian family with two daughters, that loved him very much), and they came to visit and see his body. They were very devastated too, and it was actually nice to share the grief and see how loved he was by others. A lot of tears have been shed in the neighbourhood for this cat today. I also feel that even nature feels his loss: the rain has been torrential all day, with strong winds.

I just miss the little guy so much. He was here this time last night, he wanted to go out, I said goodnight to him, and now he's gone. If he had been my pet, I would probably have turned him into a house cat only, but he was a free spirit and spread his love in many places. I was lucky to know him for the couple of years that I did. I'm completed devasted, but I am grateful for the joy, fun, laughter, friendship, and silliness that he brought to our life. He was a dear friend, and I hope he rests in peace. I'm not particularly religious but I hope that I will be reunited with him one day, in another life.

R.I.P. Babog (aka Tom). We will treasure our memories of you. Until we meet again buddy smile.png

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=517206&stc=1&d=1592688968

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

My best friend Bábóg the cat passed away today. He was run over on a road near our house. I had him in my life for the past two years. He came to me when I was going through the toughest time of my life. Bábóg kept me going when times were tough.

When I first met him, he had no collar on, so I thought he was just a stray cat, but I eventually found out he was owned by a neighbouring family. We pretty much shared custody of him. I let him sleep in my kitchen, and nap in the bedrooms upstairs. He loved his food, he loved to play and he loved being loved by my wife and I. He was very happy and loved by everybody in our part of the estate. I used to get so happy when I would see him in my rear view mirror, running after me, following my car into the drive when I would return home. He used to sit on my pillar at night waiting for me to spot him. He would come to the glass door in the kitchen, and stand upright like a meerkat to get my attention. He'd keep staring at me until I noticed him and let him in. I thought he was safe because we are not that near a main road, but he got out to it last night, probably being chased by another cat, I don't know. I have many regrets, but he wasn't technically my cat, and also he loved going outside, so I didn't feel I could imprison him in our house. It's bittersweet: what I loved about him was that he didn't seem like a pet, he was like a cool friend. I used to joke to my wife that he reminded of Kramer in Seinfeld, popping in to use our facilities and visit with us. He was a real little character smile.png

I was awoken this morning by my neighbour at 7am with the bad news. I'm already struggling with depression, and this feels like a hammer blow, but I will keep going, and I will honour his memory. I also have 4 ferals cats that I look after (I got them neutered/spayed, feed them and take them for vet visits when I can get them into the trap), and they will help get me through. We also told his owners what happened (they are a Syrian family with two daughters, that loved him very much), and they came to visit and see his body. They were very devastated too, and it was actually nice to share the grief and see how loved he was by others. A lot of tears have been shed in the neighbourhood for this cat today. I also feel that even nature feels his loss: the rain has been torrential all day, with strong winds.

I just miss the little guy so much. He was here this time last night, he wanted to go out, I said goodnight to him, and now he's gone. If he had been my pet, I would probably have turned him into a house cat only, but he was a free spirit and spread his love in many places. I was lucky to know him for the couple of years that I did. I'm completed devasted, but I am grateful for the joy, fun, laughter, friendship, and silliness that he brought to our life. He was a dear friend, and I hope he rests in peace. I'm not particularly religious but I hope that I will be reunited with him one day, in another life.

R.I.P. Babog (aka Tom). We will treasure our memories of you. Until we meet again buddy smile.png

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=517206&stc=1&d=1592688968

Really sorry for your loss OP, It seems like you gave BáBóg (lovely name btw) everything that he could have wanted including letting him be happy with yourself and your neighbours so he lived the best of both worlds. You gave everything you could. There is nothing worse then losing your best friend, but if you need anything or somebody to talk too you are in the correct community here and we will be able to support you as I have been supported and am now willing to return the favour.

Really sorry for your loss again and he looked like a handsome cat.

So sorry for your loss artvanderlay, what a beauty Babog was, and what lovely tribute to him.
    take care of yourself. RIP Babog.

Our little budgie Daz passed away this morning :(

He arrived one sunny day in an empty daz washing box, hence the name! Our neighbour found him absolutely wrecked and fairly lifeless on his horse track. We've no idea where he came from and despite asking around etc we never found out! Our neighbour thought he was ours as he knew we had budgies. We took him in as we had a spare cage and he's been with us ever since. He stopped eating a couple of days ago and despite going to the emergency vet yesterday, he died this morning.
    Sleep tight little Daz. You were such a good little man.

Our third loss of a pet in 7 months. Life can be so cruel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Beautiful tribute post artvanderlay. Little Bábóg was surely well loved around your area. What a lovely legacy to have brought happiness to so many.

RIP Bábóg.

• Advertisement

jellybear, Sorry to hear About Daz, what a hard year for you, Rip Daz.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

April 2009 - 27th June 2020

520193.jpg

His Lordship, hiding on top of the clothes' airer for his royal catnap... with one eye open! Took me ages to spot him.

RIP, darling.

So sorry for your loss New Home, wonderful Photo of him. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

RIP Princess, July 2003 - 21 August 2020 (pictured here on the right closer to the football with her friend Misty in 2017).

s6U5Ga3ilnO_9GgVsR--lDeLdItKj1AomAG8DancVPxGFtw7V2uczqKCPwzcZX1SwztS5xm1zE-K4cUFD0qyYmzn3qKoXz9mGUCP199w7T7dCgNuIiPuUZ0LgSxSZUQ0nEo_uIIigj0TAbBHMMk_eYOtEfmHvOHtkaWjIsTBJXRh2iMvfWa6P7x7TcEypZ29ULSuvJng01V7_TQfkqq7g5OmiG0vIs_yfwALvxO2gsephLwNC7XfLBeyhjIyHhusRA8i6n0JGDNBROkJ8cwhqK4z1vcgoe1ZOMEIzEk3CHgMYuQFpRRZnlKx3EAKg1lU_JaLXeSlaJbVOh1dVC07VULNptqbUmqeBRY0ojgujktMVtVAdvXl81X5pExBEIOcZq9qRDfT1YnCDWQrEqf9gML2AXyBDnN2d0VHOHoB1-ciA3UJwbpcJDchfDO9E9EsLdBdQ3ukBO8uK6NI3YT5M2mqHRi9o-fbggDuP6cKu-TCiAfGeMSZV9RYwPM3NEB7v8Rp8MADGt-bS5GAnUTM4t7bn43YLfC-2caNPlv-CH8ho4OsJfNWiSfSj-tTmx0Hac6G-j_vnrSY5KxNFEmmAqFNQ1JTXSwvt92RERumXzHqP6lLmZyD94h4N029JAEZVoI76bDMIXcEwN2KTZ-Kxl4GCw1IvxXgsZchtaoV5-aGIqbKqj-jzi_veXnz=w727-h969-no?authuser=0

We're fortunate to have had her with us for 17 years, generally in good health and with no major issues until the last 18 months or so.
    After a few unexplained collapses, she was diagnosed with a heart murmur in January 2019 which was successfully controlled with medication and did not slow her down at all.
    In June of this year she began to vomit on a regular basis and lose weight. In July she was diagnosed with liver cancer and we decided to keep her with us until such a time as it appeared that she might be suffering. That moment arrived over the past few days and we had her put to sleep by the vet this evening.

I chose this picture because her favourite hobby until recently was chasing footballs and tearing pieces off them when she got a hold of them. Here she is pictured eagerly awaiting for me to kick the ball so she could go after it.

She was named by my sister who was eight at the time and although the dictionary says a "Princess" is "a nonreigning female member of a royal family", our Princess will always reign in the hearts our family.

I'm so sorry for your loss Atlantis. What a gorgeous little dog she was and what an incredible age.. she must have had a great life. RIP Princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

So sorry for your loss Atlantis50. What a lovely picture and such a nice tribute to your beautiful Princess.

Terriers are the best, such a zest for life! It sounds like she lived it to the max for her 17 years and was greatly cherished.

RIP Princess.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Wow 17 years and 1 month some age. My own dog is 16 years and 5 months old in two weeks. I'm just hoping he makes it to 16 years and 6 months old but he is in good health apart from having a eye ball removed a few months back.

Also sorry for your loss. I know how you feel kinda as I will be pretty upset myself once my own dog dies.

So sorry for your lost Atlantis50. But what a great age she was.

Clearly she was a cherished part of your family, be kind to yourselves in this diffcult time.

RIP Princess.x

Our budgie Ivy passed away earlier today. She was nearly 13 so a wonderful age for a budgie. Here she is, the darker blue one, with her best pal, Ole, who died 3 years ago this week. I've posted this picture numerous times on different parts of Boards and it breaks my heart that today will be the last time I do.

Sleep tight our princess, we love you to the moon and back.

• Advertisement

So sorry for your loss Jellybear. She was a dote!! xx

Advertisement