Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭amytomjerry

Yes it was such a shock hearing the news last Thursday...she had just started a dry hacking cough..she had arthritis too...so I suppose the last couple of days we spent grieving for we knew her days were numbered..at least we got to give her lots of cuddles and could thank her properly for being the dear, kind dog she was...you are blessed your lab is doing so well! that's wonderful!
    Thank you so much for your kind words.

pottokblue wrote: »
    amytomjerry I have a beloved ginger cat buried in the back yard a little later I planted a rosebush over him and now every year when it blooms I think of him perhaps next winter/spring plant a plant you like over Dainas resting patch??

This is such a lovely idea...yes I think I will do something like this..perhaps daffodils or bluebells...thank you...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

@amytomjerry,
    what a sad news! It was so quick you hadn't the time to prepare for her departure, though we are never prepared, are we?
    RIP Daina :(

@amytomjerry,
    what a sad news! It was so quick you hadn't the time to prepare for her departure, though we are never prepared, are we?
    RIP Daina :(

Its been agonising...miss her terribly this morning...house so empty...nothing would ever prepare you for the loss of a pet...sometimes I wonder if I will ever stop crying...thanks for your kind words

Its been agonising...miss her terribly this morning...house so empty...nothing would ever prepare you for the loss of a pet...sometimes I wonder if I will ever stop crying...thanks for your kind words

You probably will, or at least you will cry less often and with less pain in your heart.
    At the end of this month it'll be 4 years since the death of my sweet cat Lola
    ( https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103141651&postcount=1718 ), and I'm still crying on certain days, and she's still here in my heart every minute of my life.
    I hope you have a softer pain by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

@amytomjerry, What a shock for you, thankfully you were there to give her cuddles,and send her to a pain free place.

Please give yourself time to cry and think of her, talk about her.

It will get easier over time, you will cry less, and be able to smile and laugh about the wonderful life you had together,and all the things she done to make your life a better one. you will never forget her.

There is nothing worse then that empty house feeling, it rips your heart apart, but that to, will get eaiser.

Be kind to yourself, All of us who has lost their beloved pets, are here for you.

Run free Daina.. RIP

sdp wrote: »
    @amytomjerry, What a shock for you, thankfully you were there to give her cuddles,and send her to a pain free place.

Please give yourself time to cry and think of her, talk about her.

It will get easier over time, you will cry less, and be able to smile and laugh about the wonderful life you had together,and all the things she done to make your life a better one. you will never forget her.

There is nothing worse then that empty house feeling, it rips your heart apart, but that to, will get eaiser.

Be kind to yourself, All of us who has lost their beloved pets, are here for you.

Run free Daina.. RIP[/quote

Thank you so much for this..everything you have written resonates with me. I know it will get easier in time. Your words have helped alot..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

You're gone just over a week, my little monster man. For a pet that I only got cos I couldn't have a dog at the time, I really did grow to love you. I miss your rustles in your tank. Or the occasional thud when you'd half jump off your log for no discernable reason :)

I miss you chasing hoppers and crickets manically with your tongue out. I miss giving you chin rubs. And wearing you on my jumpers like the biggest, weirdest brooch ever.

I'll always wish I'd been a better owner. Given more time or care. You never ever got mad, cranky. Always the perfect beardy. And you kept me company over 11 years, through my different homes, relationships, friendships, all the million changes my life has had in that time.

I'll really miss you.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

I don't say this to cause an argument but I've struggled to understand how people get another pet after one dies?

My dog of 16 years died in 2020 and it was deeply upsetting and still is. I could never bring myself to get another pet as I feel like it would feel like my old dog meant nothing, plus going through another death like that I'd rather not sign up to again.

Its an odd thing losing a pet, it seems silly to say but its like losing a child as in my case, I saw my dog grow from a puppy and had to look after him for his whole life like you would your own child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Speaking purely for myself, and I've had a large number of pets- dogs, cats, rabbits, budgies, hamsters and fish, one was never a replacement for another.

A home, to us, has pets so we as a family were never without one. I heard, many years ago, that animals live for less time so we can home and love more of them, if that's what we choose to do. I personally believe that completely.

I guess another part of me feels that we know how to make a pet a central part of our family and while losing them is beyond heart breaking, by allowing another one into our lives, we know we'll give them the best life possible. They'll only know love, warmth, kindness and a full belly!! They could end up living an awful life and knowing that won't happen if we home them, it gives you a wonderful feeling.

That's just my opinion anyway. I completely understand that some owners just don't have room in their hearts for another pet but maybe, in time, they might and if not, that's absolutely fine. To each their own :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

We lost our beautiful, loving girl in January , 3 weeks shy of her 16th birthday.

We found her shivering, scared, tiny, alone, 3 months old, at the side of a busy cross road, by chance, where she had been dumped. We were meant to find her, I believe. We brought her home to be given to the local animal rescue to be rehomed. She never left.

Such a fantastic, positive little dog, never one days bother from the day she arrived, till the day we let her go.

I'm ready to offer another little girl the same life, knowing, that in 15 -16 years (hopefully) that I will go through this again.

The day you get them, is the day you know you will have to let them go.

It is the times in between that make it all worthwhile.

I don't say this to cause an argument but I've struggled to understand how people get another pet after one dies?

My dog of 16 years died in 2020 and it was deeply upsetting and still is. I could never bring myself to get another pet as I feel like it would feel like my old dog meant nothing, plus going through another death like that I'd rather not sign up to again.

Its an odd thing losing a pet, it seems silly to say but its like losing a child as in my case, I saw my dog grow from a puppy and had to look after him for his whole life like you would your own child.

This is what I always said after each loss. I had always promised myself not to get another pet because the pain to stand for their death was too strong and unbearable, and because I didn't want to replace my previous pet, I didn't want to erase the memory of them, nor did I want to feel my previous pet wasn't meant anything.

But keep in mind that it's not us to look for another pet, it's them looking for us. You can't plan your fate, the fate is already set for you, and the next pet is out there looking for you, and on the day they will find you, you won't turn your back on them.

jellybear wrote: »
    I heard, many years ago, that animals live for less time so we can home and love more of them, if that's what we choose to do. I personally believe that completely.

My point of view is that we can help more of them.

anewme wrote: »
    The day you get them, is the day you know you will have to let them go.

It is the times in between that make it all worthwhile.

You made me cry!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

For me there was never a question whether or not I would get another cat when mine passed away last November. And my new cat will never replace my little yowler, he's just a new friend that was in need. I'm still very emotional about her loss but I believe that getting another rescue was the best way to honour her and keep her memory alive for me. New cat reminds me of her every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

I’m heartbroken I had to put my dog of 14 years down, he had a great temperament and was such a loyal dog.

I will have his ashes next week and he will always have a permanent home with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Fakediamond

Sorry for your loss Darren.

Lovely photo of a handsome boy!

Take comfort in the knowledge that you did right by him when he needed you most.

May he rest in peace, x

Darren 83 wrote: »
    I’m heartbroken I had to put my dog of 14 years down, he had a great temperament and was such a loyal dog.

I will have his ashes next week and he will always have a permanent home with us.

so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog...14 years..what a great fulfilling life he had..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

So sorry Darren, it's so, so heartbreaking, thinking of you.

So sorry Darren, what a great age, my heart goes out to you, RIP sweet boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Thanks for the kind words, I was quite worried about my little other dog thought she might be depressed over him gone.

They grew up together but she is an energetic 14 year old Jack Russel, she definitely knew he wasn’t ok always licking him. Sometimes he had to be lifted up and she wouldn’t let us as she probably thought he was hurt. She also sleeps in his bed most of the time.

She keeps me going and a daily reminder why I will always have a home for a dog.

R.I.P Milo

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

We lost our beloved Sadie overnight got the call this morning from the vets. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. Got her and her sister from the pound as pups 13 years ago. They have been with me through thick and thin through the loss of my mother. My eyes are so puffy I can barely see what I'm writing. She was loved so much and her place in our home will never be filled. RIP my little babybumbum.

sadie1502 wrote: »
    We lost our beloved Sadie overnight got the call this morning from the vets. To say we are heartbroken is an understatement. Got her and her sister from the pound as pups 13 years ago. They have been with me through thick and thin through the loss of my mother. My eyes are so puffy I can barely see what I'm writing. She was loved so much and her place in our home will never be filled. RIP my little babybumbum.

So sorry for the loss of your beloved Sadie, no doubt she has left a hole in your family that will hardly or never filled.
    You loved her so much, she loved you so much in return. Such a strong bound will be never broken.
    RIP dear Sadie.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭sadie1502

So sorry for the loss of your beloved Sadie, no doubt she has left a hole in your family that will hardly or never filled.
    You loved her so much, she loved you so much in return. Such a strong bound will be never broken.
    RIP dear Sadie.

Thanks Irish Stones. A part of me is gone with her. She was such a big character. Can't stop crying.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭anewme

sadie1502 wrote: »
    Thanks Irish Stones. A part of me is gone with her. She was such a big character. Can't stop crying.

Think of the good times. Mind yourself.

So sorry for your loss, its heartbreaking for you all, She will always be in your heart and memories. R.I.P sweet girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I'm very sad and sorry to say I had to let Lucy go today :(

She was 14 at Christmas. I suppose she had been slowing down for a while but the last couple of months she started going downhill.

She was having difficulty walking or standing and because of that recently she was finding it difficult to go to the toilet. The vet put her on steroids a while back and assured me she wasn't in pain. She was just getting weaker and weaker.

It's seems like only a couple of years since I made a big round trip to Fermanagh to collect her one frosty and foggy day in February 2007.

She was great company for those years and I believe I looked after her well.

Gone to join Zoe Molly and Hayley at the Bridge, it doesn't get any easier.

Lucy aka Tinkerbelle's Little Angel (GB) 26/12/06 - 10/05/21

First pic first day home

Second: Flying on the boardwalk on Diamond Hill

Third: A recent snap in March

Lucy.jpg

lfd.jpg

20210321_210019.jpg

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about Lucy. You must be heartbroken.
    I absolutely adore that second picture, on Diamond Hill. Captures such a happy, carefree doggy!! One for a frame.
    Sending you big hugs at this incredibly difficult time.
    Sleep tight Lucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I'm very sad and sorry to say I had to let Lucy go today :(

She was 14 at Christmas. I suppose she had been slowing down for a while but the last couple of months she started going downhill.

She was having difficulty walking or standing and because of that recently she was finding it difficult to go to the toilet. The vet put her on steroids a while back and assured me she wasn't in pain. She was just getting weaker and weaker.

It's seems like only a couple of years since I made a big round trip to Fermanagh to collect her one frosty and foggy day in February 2007.

She was great company for those years and I believe I looked after her well.

Gone to join Zoe Molly and Hayley at the Bridge, it doesn't get any easier.

Lucy aka Tinkerbelle's Little Angel (GB) 26/12/06 - 10/05/21

First pic first day home

Second: Flying on the boardwalk on Diamond Hill

Third: A recent snap in March

Lucy.jpg

lfd.jpg

20210321_210019.jpg

So sorry to hear this, I remember your Lhasa girls from years ago, as we've one who was 12 at the weekend. They are such funny little dogs, so calm and cuddly, yet mad and full of life too, wonderful companions.
    Thinking of you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh CH i'm so sorry. Heartbreaking

Advertisement