Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭coolisin

Sorry to hear Crowded house

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

Sorry for your loss CH.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,620 ✭✭✭volchitsa

I'm very sad and sorry to say I had to let Lucy go today :(

She was 14 at Christmas. I suppose she had been slowing down for a while but the last couple of months she started going downhill.

She was having difficulty walking or standing and because of that recently she was finding it difficult to go to the toilet. The vet put her on steroids a while back and assured me she wasn't in pain. She was just getting weaker and weaker.

It's seems like only a couple of years since I made a big round trip to Fermanagh to collect her one frosty and foggy day in February 2007.

She was great company for those years and I believe I looked after her well.

Gone to join Zoe Molly and Hayley at the Bridge, it doesn't get any easier.

Lucy aka Tinkerbelle's Little Angel (GB) 26/12/06 - 10/05/21

First pic first day home

Second: Flying on the boardwalk on Diamond Hill

Third: A recent snap in March

Oh So sorry for your loss Crowded House - what a character she seems to have been.
    That second picture is one of the best I’ve seen of a dog, it’s so gorgeous! Definitely one to frame I think.
    Look after yourself

volchitsa wrote: »
    Oh So sorry for your loss Crowded House - what a character she seems to have been.
    That second picture is one of the best I’ve seen of a dog, it’s so gorgeous! Definitely one to frame I think.
    Look after yourself

Yep....that 2nd picture is a beauty....she's like the traps just flew open in Sherbourne Park. In Oct 2019 my ol jack russel after a v happy & bossy 17yrs called it a day & crossed the bridge. In March 2020 after being put on PUP I decide to paint the house.....one day Im up the ladder this mangy looking beat up Jack russel just wandered up the drive & sat down by front door. So, I feed him, he's got a nice temperament & he kips on a blanket in shed, following day he ain't showing no inclination about moving on. After a few days I contact all rescue centres with pics- no reply. I take him to vet & she says he ain't chipped or had any ' shots'...... well, a year later & that guy IS family....a great friend, great temperament. Could never figure why he picked / wandered up my drive but I sure AM happy he did. I've had 10dogs throughout my life & loved them all but this guy....this guy.....never a day this guy doesn't make me laugh out loud.I just wonder about his timing.....did he know there was a 'vacancy' going......karma or just plain luck Buster ended up here????

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That jump, class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

So sorry for your loss CrowdedHouse , What a wonderful life she had with you. be kind to yourself at this time. Sleep well Beautiful Lucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My female staffy had to be put to sleep today at 10:45am. Her spine was fused to other bones around the spine in a few places. She has been walking around with her head on the floor for a few weeks and she went off her food so we decided last night to get her put to sleep. She was aged 15 years, 6 months and 23 days old.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wotzgoingon I'm sorry, you did the right thing, maybe that'll bring you comfort in the future..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Wotzgoingon, I'm truly sorry for your loss, I can only imagine your pain, but take comfort in the fact that you did the best thing you could for your friend.

My Father was a v typical 1950s/ 60's Father....very stoic & never showed emotion--- just the way it was, my friends Fathers were all the same. We ( meaning my Dad really) had a great sheepdog, BEANO, back in the day. I guess around early 90's ole Beano at age 14 crossed the bridge. My Dad & I dug his grave & as we were covering him up I noticed a tear in my Fathers eye.....now, him being an olde skool kind of guy I didn't comment but as I was patting down the grave my Father said something I'll never forget " the only thing wrong with that dog was that he didn't live longer". I've heard a few eulogies in my day but that one was the best.

• Advertisement

Wotzgoingon, so sorry for your loss, It's a heartbreaking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,075 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Don’t know if it will help anyone who is going through hurt but after 4.5 years since De Niro went to sleep and ripped me in two I’m finally able to get another dog. I have a new Rottweiler pup in 4 weeks. Not a replacement but a new friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

joeguevara wrote: »
    Don’t know if it will help anyone who is going through hurt but after 4.5 years since De Niro went to sleep and ripped me in two I’m finally able to get another dog. I have a new Rottweiler pup in 4 weeks. Not a replacement but a new friend.

I'm happy to read you have been able to get over your pain and find the strength to open your heart to a new friend. It isn't easy, I know, that's why I'm telling you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

had to say goodbye to another golden boy today , Alfie our 3 and a half year old golden retriever had to be put to sleep , sleep well my puppy , and all those confusing thoughts are gone forever , will see you on the rainbow bridge soon ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

TonyH, my heart is broken for you and your family. I'm in tears reading your post and your other thread. You made an impossible decision with dignity and I hope you're doing okay. I remember your first picture of Alfie in the post a pic thread. You were so happy with the new little fur ball that had come in to your life!

Sleep tight Alfie. You're a beautiful boy! Have fun running and playing at Rainbow bridge x

thanks jellybear , at least he's at peace now .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Crying my eyes out this afternoon. We lost our dear cat Rocky at lunchtime. He had issues with his paw since February and was finally over them but needed some dental treatment. Brought him to the vet at 8 this morning, got a call at 11.35 saying everything had gone well and he was waking up fine and then a call at 1.35 saying he had died from what they reckon was a blood clot.

He was 13 years old and we have had him and his sister since Halloween 2008 when they were only about 6 weeks old.

I just can't believe it and have tears streaming down my face as I type it. His sister is still with us, as is our third cat who worshiped the ground he walked on. Feel so sorry for the two of them. The three of them have been inseparable all their lives.

We took that photo of him last night. So glad we got it.

R.I.P. Rocky. I had so many wonderful years with you and couldn't have wished for a more cuddly, affectionate, funny and at times, silly, cat.

R.I.P. Rocky...............cracking photo.......sounds like he had a ball/ great life......no doubt he's up to mischief on the other side of the bridge now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Oh Heroditas I am so sorry for your loss. Rocky was a beautiful kitty. It's never easy to lose a beloved pet but it's even worse when it's so sudden. We at least had some time to say goodbye to our little girl. My heart goes out to you. Take care of yourself.

I'm blubbering like a fool here. Working from home today has just gotten a lot lonelier.

Our Yorkie seemed short of breath on Sat night and back in full spirits on Sunday and Monday. Yesterday morning he was very uncomfortable and shallow breathing. Of f***ing course it was the one day where I had work in the office so my father-in-law came over and brought him to the vet. He was, apparently, in very good spirits after a couple of steroid injections but my FIL heard congestion instead of congestive heart failure.

He dropped him back to our home at 12 and I scrambled to get home for 2 to make sure Rex was comfortable but he was curled up at the couch, where he would sit with us, already gone.

We don't have a clue what age he was, we got him in early 2013 as an emaciated and undersized rescue. He was a furry ball of anger and fury. So much so that we had to give serious consideration to rehousing him when our first child came in 2014.

What a change in an animal. He had become much more relaxed and loving, but still had issues before our son came, and I've never seen a dog change character so much overnight. He went into full on protector sitting by our kid (then kids) and woe betide anyone who came too close, without us near. Went from a shy, nervous dog who hated his legs touched to one who wanted to constantly play snap with his paws, get overexcited, scamper around the room, and come back for round two. Absolutely demanded belly scratches having my kids howl with laughter as his back paws would scratch the air as they rubbed him.

He kept me company throughout the pandemic, spending his days in my home office instead of his usual spot in front of the fire. I'll miss him greatly.

Photo quality is terrible, image from 2013. He had been ours for 6 months at this stage

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,506 ✭✭✭Heroditas

So sorry to hear that Cork_exile. Amazing to hear how his demeanour changed when your first child was born.

Same comment

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

So sorry for your loss Cork exile. The house changes immediately when our furry friends leave. My guy died in June and my heart still drops everytime I get home and he's not looking out the window.

It's really tough, take care of yourself

So sorry for your loss Cork exile. lovely memory's to have of him, what a lucky boy you took him in to your heart and home. sleep well Rex.

so sorry for your loss Heroditas and Cork Exile .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Grief is still too raw here. One day.

Sorry to hear, read in you other post. look after yourself, Sx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

My Staffy, Molly, who's been with me for 17+ years passed away today.

Spent the night with her listening to soothing music comforting and talking to her throughout.

She passed away peacefully with a Pedigree Dental Stick in her mouth which she was so adamant at trying to chew on during the journey to the vet, she absolutely loved them... so I had her buried with it still in her mouth along with a pack of them between her front legs, having her wrapped up in my old leather jacket of which she got so excited whenever I put it on signifying we're going for her walks, often playfully throwing on top of her to which she'd play under.

Laid her to rest by the apple trees she loved to eat off every summer and autumn.

God I'll miss my sweetheart! 😢

RIP my dear, may we meet again.

Post edited by BeerWolf on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Beerwolf I'm so sorry to hear about Molly, the selection of photos you shared capture all sorts i think! What a life you gave her. Until ye meet again.

• Advertisement

Beerwolf, So sorry to hear about your beloved Molly, What a wonderful life she had with you,Thank you for sharing your photo, gives a lovely insight into her life. Take care of yourselves. Sleep tight Molly.

Advertisement