Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Departed pets;

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh Jellybear I'm so sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

So sorry Jellybear xx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

So sorry to hear that Jellybear xx

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭tenreds

Hi,I haven’t posted anything here before but I just need somewhere to write how I feel

Had to put our pet dog that we had for 13 years to sleep on Wednesday and the grief is unbearable,I just feel so guilty, we knew she was old but it happened just to quick. I feel like I didn’t get to say a proper goodbye to her, I wasn’t ready to say goodbye this is so hard. It’s crazy how attached you get to them and how much you miss them

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

13 years, of course it's a horrible loss, many of us haven't had relationships with people that long.. I miss my westie every day and it's six years since she left me.. I'm so sorry for your loss..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

So so sorry for your loss Jellybear and tenreds. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

So sorry for you loss tenreds, please don't feel guilty. you had 13 wonderful years with her. your grief is real, the same as when any family member leaves us. you'll always miss her, but in time you'll be able to smile when you think of her. 2 years since my little man passed, still miss him, be kind to yourself x.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Coming to time for my cat now unfortunately. Have had him 18 years (more than half my life) so really don't know how to let go.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Put down tonight. Probably the hardest thing I've ever done, particularly as he seemed to come back to life and started meowing and trying to claw his way out of the box after being put in.

Been a rough week though and wasn't much quality of life there anymore. He'd just drink water, go to the toilet and eat a bit (appetite went well down and I had to handfeed). Wasn't even purring when being rubbed anymore or grooming himself.

Rip Ember.

@titan18 I am so, so sorry. You did something very kind for him, had him longer than most cats live so you were doing everything right all along. The pain lessens as the good memories regain some power. Rest in peace Ember

• Advertisement

@titan18 so sorry for your loss, what a great age. RIP Ember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

@titan18 so sorry for your loss. Sleep tight Ember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

@titan18 I had to let my cat go 2 years ago yesterday. She was the same as Ember, hand feeding for a week, barely existing, not grooming herself etc. We knew it was time. You'll never forget the pain of losing a pet but know that you did the best for him and he was loved. That's all that matters. RIP Ember.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I feel kinda robbed. Pearl (our daughter named him!) had to be euthanised last night at just 6 months old. We were just getting to know him. He had an amazing personality. Nothing flustered him and he was positively wonderful in putting up with all the unwanted attention our 5.5 year old lavished on him. She so desperately wanted a marmalade cat with a pink nose for the longest time. I'm saddened that he had such a short life and saddened that she doesn't have a furry best pal to grow up with.

That is so rough. My thoughts with you all.

So sad , such a young boy, Sleep tight Pearl.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Our dog ,Pug , passed away two months ago ,I posted in another forum at time , as I had originally posted looking for help re side effects .unfortunately the steroids didn't work

The constant he was, that shield from the world is gone . We are still heart broken . The world seems a darker place without his distraction , his company , his licks

We would do anything just to even give out to him for not getting his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Anawilliam850

This year, we lost our oldest cat, his name in Spanish was Gati :c

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Lost our beloved stray Teddy today. I started looking after him in 2018, got him trapped and neutered in 2019, and he has been a constant on my kitchen window every morning for years. He loved his little outdoor house and comfy bed, he loved his food, especially ham, and he was a devoted husband, to his tortie wife Gemma, dad to his son Decky and friend to another stray kitten, Phil, who all still live in our garden. He was a proud, tough country cat but with a very gentle nature. Phil was bullied by everyone except Teddy, and Phil loved him as a result and grew in confidence from his friendship. He was our favourite and it broke our hearts to have him put down today. The guilt is the worst part, but I viewed Teddy as a proud warrior cat and he was just in a terrible state for the past few days, wouldn't eat and could only drink water. I couldn't let my friend go out like that, dragging out his suffering. I hope I did the right thing, and I pray that he is at peace and free from suffering. He endured a tough life as a feral cat but I know he was a very happy cat for the few years we had with him. Rest in peace Ted and see you on the other side. We love you always.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

It's always the right thing in that situation even if it feels wrong , mind yourself x

• Advertisement

So sorry for your loss. RIP Teddy, and take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

8 years today.

Time absolutely does heal and even though I’ve got another dog now that I love dearly, the memories always remain

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Had a slight moment earlier today.

When Andy wouldn’t eat one of the things we would give him was scrambled egg and I’ve just started a diet with that on it.

8 years on you still get these whacks at times, just not so often as when it’s raw but it never goes

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

I'm really struggling after putting our boy down yesterday after a shock aggressive cancer diagnosis. He was 12 years and 7 months old and just the most precious madra.

I can't get over the look on his face when he realised that there was nothing more we could do for him and he buried his head in the blankets as the vet injected him.

I know it was the right thing to do, not a chance we would let him suffer unnecessary as his blood vessels in his belly were bursting and his lungs filling up with blood, he was struggling to breathe but it still doesn't make it any easier to accept.

The house is just that now, it no longer feels like a home without him here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'm so sorry Tauriel.

Tauriel, so sorry for your loss. What a terrible time for you. Take care .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

Oh @Tauriel I'm so sorry. What a shock for you. Mind yourself and may your lovely madra sleep tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Hope you ok. So hard to let them go.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,444 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Had a bit of a moment today with an unexpected letter in the post.

Our veterinary clinic sent a beautiful laminated poem with Max's paw print on it and a truly lovely sympathy card from the senior veterinary surgeon who took care of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

We said goodbye to our beautiful brave Síonna yesterday. The most beautiful cat I've ever seen, with the sweetest most gentle nature. It took her almost 6 months to learn to trust us but once she did, she showed us what a sweetheart she was. She loved hanging out on the couch with her favourite human (not me) getting chin scratches and belly rubs, she loved sun bathing and snuggling with her reluctant boyfriend Totoro, and she loved killing any bird toy we brought into the house. She was an absolute trooper during her illness and took every poke and scan with grace. All the veterinary staff loved her. We did everything we could to try save her but her little body just couldn't take any more so we let her go peacefully. It was an honour to have been able to care for her for the last 4 years. We will love her and miss her forever.

Advertisement