Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prices have risen since Groceries Order abolished!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

BendiBus wrote:
    Butter, teabags, eggs. The basics. According to a survey for the Sunday Times, all up since the Order was lifted. Not good news.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/04/30/story256546.html

Not at all surprised to hear this, the fuss over the "Groceries Order" was made by mostly vested interests and those whom knew little better

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Absolutely agreed. Nobody ever asked what incentive there was for retailers to cut prices when clearly it was so easy for them to make huge money. The likes of the big retailers adjusted to the Groceries Order back in the late 1980s and there was no reason for them to change. You have to remember that it was introduced to a very particular environment and some issues (like "Hello Money") were huge problems.

As far as I know the only retailer to sell below cost is JC Savages supermarket in Swords, who sold milk at below cost for while. Was quite interesting to hear sheep like bleating from the likes of Eddie Hobbs, who really should have known better. I didn't expect any impact at all.

After all, rip-off Ireland only really started to grip the nation from the late 1990s - the law dated back to 1987. How could anybody explain why it took nearly 12 years (at least) for this law to "cause" inflation? It didn't. It had nothing to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

shoegirl wrote:
    Nobody ever asked what incentive there was for retailers to cut prices when clearly it was so easy for them to make huge money.
    That's not true loads of people said it wouldn't make any difference and they were shouted down by a section of the rip off believers who claimed the prices were being kept high by the order. THere were a lot of people saying it wouldn't make any difference and those people have been proven right!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

That's not true loads of people said it wouldn't make any difference and they were shouted down by a section of the rip off believers who claimed the prices were being kept high by the order. THere were a lot of people saying it wouldn't make any difference and those people have been proven right!
    Agreed. I mean if St Vincent de Paul were sayin it was a bad idea to get rid of it.....

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Abolishing the groceries act hasnt reduced the cost of labour, hasnt reducted tho cost of fuel, (we are an island) hasn't reduced the cost of insurance in Ireland, etc etc etc.

I have seen below cost selling. This week a can of bud is 1.50 in supervalu. As they were selling them at cost price at christmas, (1.70 or so) thats a below cost sale. Also I've seen baby food half price, etc.

But these special offers are designed to get you into the shop. Not to put the shop out of business! Did you think shops would start selling at a loss?

Sounds to me like your expectations were unrealistic.

X

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Any signs of progress?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭FillSpectre

Yeap the signs of progress are people have jobs, household shopping for food has gone from 40% of income down to 17%.

People were conned into believing that the order kept prices up. Instead of blaming the shops why don't people question the people who said it would make a difference. They either lied (what I think) or were wrong (probably wrong about other things too).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

well i knew it would make little difference but i must admit i did not think there would be a increase

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dts

It is making a difference but you have to be wise as to where you buy what you buy. I have noticed moor beer offers on at Tesco and more buy two and save offers and definatly more baby product offers. Buy these and your bill will drop but if you just go in and buy what you always buy then what do you expect?
    If you dont like the prices here then bob north of the boarder and buy there. If we all did that the maybe you would see prices start to come down.

Advertisement