Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot styling

Options
  • 30-04-2006 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this is all a bit anal...

Saw an immaculate mid-90s Peugeot 405 today. It was a high-spec model - at first I thought it was the Mi16 version - it turned out to be the SRTD(or similar?).

Anyway, i got to thinking - the 405 was a GREAT looking car (Pininfarina was contracted to do the design). The 406 wasn't exactly a dog either and I really like the 407.

As far as I know Peugeot now do their design in-house. And if the new 207 is anything to go by that's not the way to go. It's by no means ugly but it's not nearly as pretty as the 205 or even the 206. That groove above the door sills really makes the car look heavy & bloated.

So have Peugot lost one of their unique selling points (apologies for the hideous marketing jargon)? Only the 407 stands out in the current range - and at that the coupe version is really horrid...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Personally I think one of the best looking Peugeots was the 605.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I liked the 505's, big tanks of yokes. They're still fairly popular over in the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

the main problem with the new Peugeots styling is that they've adopted the dreaded "corporate nose". This is where you make all your cars look the same. and usually have a theme. Peugeot's seems to be a massive mouth on the lower bumper
    peugeot_107_22_05_05.jpg
    peugeot_207_3_1.jpg
    307_limousine.jpg

The reason cars like the 205 and 206 did so well was partly because they looked so different from the others. Apart form the comedy nose. these new pugs are quite dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I agree, I still love the styling of the 405, 205 and (pre facelift) 306. They looked great even in the cooking models as the basic styling was so right
    406, 206 were good,
    407 a mixed bag but overall good

307 and 207 awful IMO.

Going back to the 405, not only was it good in the looks department it was was a brilliant car to drive and travel in with one of the best ride/handling combos ever found in any car. Great diesels for the time too. Think of the old fashioned and/or crap cars it was up against whe introduced in 1988. Sierras, Bluebirds, Asconas, Passats etc. Even later on when it was up against the Primera and Mondeo it still compared well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

It was said at the time that Alfa & Peugeot was both p*ssed off with Pininfarina when it became clear that the 405 & 164 shared very similar design cues.

As Peugeot has become more conservative and 'corporate', Citroen has rediscovered some of it's brio. I really like the C4 (prefer the 5-door) and the C6.

Wouldn't buy one mind...

• Advertisement
Advertisement