Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving Shop Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Think its being turned into some sort of Bakery as far as I know, its a pity as they gave nice big pots of tea for one person even if the bastards always burned your food anyway!
    But Danneh what if Tweek's coffee move in to compete with starbucks, save local business' and all. Starbucks aren't too bad in terms of making nice coffee (provided there aren't any underpants gnomes around :p)
    The only nice coffee shop in Galway is Anton's as far as im concerned, mmmm mozzarella and pesto sandwiches :D
    Its a pity that java's has gone to shít

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Huh, what happened?
    Your man who ran it has sold up and gone back to Holland, the crazy Dutch yoohoo. The place had been on the slide for ages. The staff were completely disinterested and would only clear tables if he was around. And then there was letting the gentle folk in with their acoustic guitars and wooly jumpers *shudder*.

Javas has improved a hell of a lot since the Frenchies took over. The redecoration is very nice except for the bloody plasma screen on the wall. What is its purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

my housemate used to work in banannaphoblacht, it was sold to a company called o hehirs from sligo. And their places in sligo are fairly bland. they have bought nthe name of the place as well but they've changed the menu apparently

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Isn't O hehirs more of a bakery place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

that's what you think!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

bananaphoblacht was sliding downhill for a while, nothing great can last for ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ripclaw

Regarding Starbucks - I admit I love the Chai tea they sell... Also, when I was in Chicago there was a great Starbucks/Barnes&Nobles joint venture thing I spent a lot of time in. You could take the books from the shelves and read whilst sitting there sipping on a tea or coffee and then put them back, no questions asked. And guess what, I never bought as many books in such a short time as I did then. Would be kinda cool if Eason or so would make such a deal but I highly doubt it.
    It's a shame there arent more coffee houses etc. that offer some place to sit outside, but I suppose the Galway weather is largely to blame for that, seeing that summer is officially over now that we had two sunny days last week.

Advertisement